[How-To] Update to G900P_OA6-5.0 and KeepRoot w/Knox(0x0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I have a noob, somewhat unrelated question, but I'll post it here since this is the method I used. lol. Once rooted then using TiBu to uninstall all the listed KNOX junk, is it now safe to flash a custom recovery without fear of tripping the KNOX warranty flag?

Yes and No.

Yes, definately a noob question. No, flashing twrp will still trip warranty flag.

badreaper

I may be able to port Safestrap to work on the G900P. If so, it would act much like regular twrp but would not trip the warranty flag. But not sure if there is much interest in that.
You know at least one who is interested. Lol. I guess there's no way to rid our phones of that junk completely and finally. It will weigh into future Samsung considerations. [emoji46]

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
You know at least one who is interested. Lol. I guess there's no way to rid our phones of that junk completely and finally. It will weigh into future Samsung considerations. [emoji46]

Correct, once secure boot is implemented it will always be there.

And here is a port of Hashcode's Safestrap for you to test out. This should be considered experimental at this point:

Instructions:
1. You must aleady have root access and BusyBox installed!
2. Place the Safestrap-SGS5-KitKat.apk onto your sdcard or extsdcard.
3. Install the Safestrap.apk.
4. Locate and open the Safestrap app from your app drawer and press "Install Recovery." Done!

Safestrap should be fully functional on KitKat but you will lose access to Safestrap Recovery on 5.0 However, once on 5.0 you can access Safestrap recovery by Odin flashing the G900P_NE5_Stock_Kernel(Safestrap does not flash kernels). Once you are done using Safestrap recovery, e.g. making a nandroid backup, flashing .zips, flash back the G900P_OA6_Stock_Kernel in order to successfully reboot. Safestrap does not trip the knox warranty flag. Let me know how it works. Thx

Last edited:

elwood

May 1, 2011
Menasha, Wisconsin
Yes, it can flash .zips. Glad it worked out.
My knox is already tripped as I've never cared about warranty, but wouldn't you be able to just flash the oa6 kernel from recovery after the safestrap stuff instead of having to go back into download mode and Odin the kernel?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
My knox is already tripped as I've never cared about warranty, but wouldn't you be able to just flash the oa6 kernel from recovery after the safestrap stuff instead of having to go back into download mode and Odin the kernel?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The safestrap port is only intended for those that wish to keep knox at (0x0), i.e. no twrp. Those that have already tripped the warranty flag should use twrp.

Last edited:
Reactions: enormous

enormous

Feb 17, 2008
D.C. Area
The safestrap port is only intended for those that wish to keep knox at (0x0), i.e. no twrp. Those that have already tripped the warranty flag should use twrp.
Would I be able to flash the MOAR rom using Safestrap? If so, would it be the same steps as you mentioned above? Thanks for porting it!

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Would I be able to flash the MOAR rom using Safestrap? If so, would it be the same steps as you mentioned above? Thanks for porting it!

I am not familiar with MOAR rom but here is some general info on safestrap:

1. Not compatible with AROMA installers.
2. ROM must be compatible with your current base, i.e. kernel, modem, bootloader.
3. To flash a ROM place it onto ext sdcard, boot into Safestrap recovery, perform and Advanced wipe and wipe everything but ext sdcard, press install, then reboot once complete.
4. Will not trip warranty flag.

enormous

Feb 17, 2008
D.C. Area
I am not familiar with MOAR rom but here is some general info on safestrap:

1. Not compatible with AROMA installers.
2. ROM must be compatible with your current base, i.e. kernel, modem, bootloader.
3. To flash a ROM place it onto ext sdcard, boot into Safestrap recovery, perform and Advanced wipe and wipe everything but ext sdcard, press install, then reboot once complete.
4. Will not trip warranty flag.
So do I have this process down right? I'm starting from Stock rooted OA6.

1. Install Safestrap, open app, install recovery
2. Reboot to download mode, flash NE5 Stock Kernel
3. Reboot to Safestrap recovery
4. Do your step 3 above
5. Reboot into new (in this case MOAR) rom

I've been reading about Safestrap, and it apparently supports "rom slots"? Would I be able to install MOAR into into of these on the SD card and boot to that in order to test it?

Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks for the help.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
So do I have this process down right? I'm starting from Stock rooted OA6.

1. Install Safestrap, open app, install recovery
2. Reboot to download mode, flash NE5 Stock Kernel
3. Reboot to Safestrap recovery
4. Do your step 3 above
5. Reboot into new (in this case MOAR) rom

I've been reading about Safestrap, and it apparently supports "rom slots"? Would I be able to install MOAR into into of these on the SD card and boot to that in order to test it?

Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks for the help.

Make certain MOAR does not use an AROMA installer! After flashing the rom reflash the OA6 kernel.

I disabled rom slots to keep it simple since they are untested on the G900P.

Reactions: enormous

badreaper

Yes, it can flash .zips. Glad it worked out.

I attempted to install a zip. Specifically the download booster zip. Here are the steps taken:

In download, flash NE5 kernel. Boot to Safestrap. Install the zip. Boot to download again, flash OA6 kernel.

The result was bootloop. OK, no problem, simply restore the backup at hand. Through the same steps again, restore, reflash kernel, reboot. Now it keeps popping up a message "Device must restart to complete activation" and reboots. Please help!

Update: did factory reset to no avail. Thought about reflashing with mobile Odin. It gives the error Could not detect device model.

Last edited:

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I attempted to install a zip. Specifically the download booster zip. Here are the steps taken:

In download, flash NE5 kernel. Boot to Safestrap. Install the zip. Boot to download again, flash OA6 kernel.

The result was bootloop. OK, no problem, simply restore the backup at hand. Through the same steps again, restore, reflash kernel, reboot. Now it keeps popping up a message "Device must restart to complete activation" and reboots. Please help!

Update: did factory reset to no avail. Thought about reflashing with mobile Odin. It gives the error Could not detect device model.

Try using safestrap to restore your backup again but this time do a full wipe prior to restore. Also, send me a link to the .zip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **You can begin the following process from any Build/ROM but you must already have Root Access**

**Required** FlashFire - Play BETA - PREVIEW
    1. Join the G+ community using the same Google account as you're using for Play on your phone/tablet Here.
    2. Sign up to receive the BETA versions from Play Here.
    - Use the link provided after sign-up to download the app.

**Caution!**The process below is only for the Sprint G900P S5 Variant! Use on any other device may result in a hardbrick.

Download:
    - G900P_OA6_Stock_Rooted_ROM (File removed for safety reasons. See here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=61362280&postcount=94)

Set your screen timeout setting to 10 mins before beginning!

1. Place the ROM onto your device (use either internal or ext-sdcard).
    2. Open the FlashFire app and "Agree" to the Terms and Conditions.
    3. Press "(+)" twice to bring up the "Actions" menu.
    4. Select "Flash Zip or OTA" and locate and select the ROM. Leave "Auto-mount" unchecked under the "Options" menu and press the checkmark to continue.
    5. From the main menu Uncheck all options under "EverRoot" and use default "Reboot" settings.
    6. Last, press the lightning bolt then "Ok" to begin the flash .

The screen will turn black then display the contents of your system before beginning the flash. FlashFire will pause for about 1 minute while flashing the "system" partition. Once complete your device will reboot and pause on the Sprint splash screen for about 1 - 2 minutes before completely rebooting. Done!

Tip: for blazing fast speed turn off animations from Developer Options and reboot!

Known Issues:
    - None!

Notes:
    1. This process will not affect your knox warranty flag.
    2. The above process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, Stock Recovery, and Bootloader to OA6.
    3. As of 5/7/2015 no need to wipe prior to flashing! The ROM will automatically perform a factory data reset.
    4. If you are currently unrooted and on a non-"Towelroot-able" firmware version you must a)downgrade to NE5 using Odin, b)root using Towelroot then proceed with the above process.
    Correct, all G900P firmware aboots allow for downgrading to any of them via Odin. As for the above process, even though there is no risk of permanent damage to your device it would help Everyone if someone with enough experience attempt it so that we can get accurate results. There is no point in someone with little experience trying it and doing it incorrectly then reporting back that it did not work.

I can confirm that you guys method totally works! I always thought the process was simple enough but was worried about downgrading after reading about hard-bricks on the forums. I downgraded to stock firmware version G900PVPU1ANE5 and applied towelroot. I then followed your instructions and I am now rooted on OA6 with a 0x0 Knox counter. System status shows custom of course so no chance of an OTA update, but this method is awesome! Thank you! :)

Screenshots below...

Correct, once secure boot is implemented it will always be there.

And here is a port of Hashcode's Safestrap for you to test out. This should be considered experimental at this point:

Instructions:
    1. You must aleady have root access and BusyBox installed!
    2. Place the Safestrap-SGS5-KitKat.apk onto your sdcard or extsdcard.
    3. Install the Safestrap.apk.
    4. Locate and open the Safestrap app from your app drawer and press "Install Recovery." Done!

Safestrap should be fully functional on KitKat but you will lose access to Safestrap Recovery on 5.0 However, once on 5.0 you can access Safestrap recovery by Odin flashing the G900P_NE5_Stock_Kernel(Safestrap does not flash kernels). Once you are done using Safestrap recovery, e.g. making a nandroid backup, flashing .zips, flash back the G900P_OA6_Stock_Kernel in order to successfully reboot. Safestrap does not trip the knox warranty flag. Let me know how it works. Thx
    What does this have to do with this thead?
    If you are on any Stock ROM above 4.4.2 and are unrooted, the only way to get rooted and still have Knox 0x0 is to downgrade to 4.4.2, root with Towelroot, and then do your flashes.

I can confirm that you guys method totally works! I always thought the process was simple enough but was worried about downgrading after reading about hard-bricks on the forums. I downgraded to stock firmware version G900PVPU1ANE5 and applied towelroot. I then followed your instructions and I am now rooted on OA6 with a 0x0 Knox counter. System status shows custom of course so no chance of an OTA update, but this method is awesome! Thank you! :)

You might want to put this in OP so your thread is not filled with questions about how to go from an unrooted Stock Lollipop to a Knox 0x0 rooted Stock Lollipop.

Edit: I can verify that after downgrading from Stock Lollipop to 4.4.2 using the link in my post above does indeed downgrade with Knox still 0x0 as MooreAJr has stated in his post.
    Wait, but I thought flashing an entire previous firmware resulted in hard-bricks because of Knox and its bootloader? I am not willing to try a flash of an old firmware if it risks bricking my device.

You can flash any stock tar without hard bricking. I've went from 4.4.4 to 5.0 and back prior to running the latest Android version with no problems

Correct, all G900P firmware aboots allow for downgrading to any of them via Odin. As for the above process, even though there is no risk of permanent damage to your device it would help Everyone if someone with enough experience attempt it so that we can get accurate results. There is no point in someone with little experience trying it and doing it incorrectly then reporting back that it did not work.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone