[How-To] Update to G900P_OA6-5.0 and KeepRoot w/Knox(0x0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

elwood

May 1, 2011
Menasha, Wisconsin
Yeah I was looking into that, but would a verizon version even be compatible with this phone?
That's why i said "might". I ran a few Verizon Roms on my old s4 all I had to do was change the APN to sprints for 4g to work. Never did get mms to send though. I could receive but not send using stock messaging app

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

badreaper

No, 4.4.2

Rookie mistake. Normally I pay more attention but let it slip by. :(

I thought all was well but now there's something else. I have no LTE/Spark. Changing the network settings to CDMA and subsequent reboot will allow 3G data to work. Setting it back to LTE/CDMA or Automatic means no data. How can I fix that? Sorry to be troublesome - but hey - at least I played the guinea pig. :D

Edit: apps cannot access lte/spark. If I open Activate Device in settings LTE/Spark pops right up.

Last edited:

Palmonizer

Jun 8, 2008
Hello. I have downloaded the .zip and .tar files as well as purchased odin. When I flash the rom, Odin screen will tell me "Cannot Open Package Installer Error"

I have searched all night for a possible solution, can it be noone has had this error on Odin v4.20? Can you gurus help me? Suggestions?

Specs:
Was running MOAR NE5 before I wiped through odin.
I was also using Philz previously.
Phone is running fine on a rooted wiped version of MOAR NE5 but want to get to OA6.
Sprint S5
Knox 0x1 (2) (YUCK)
MD5 Checks out

Last edited:

bads3ctor

Dec 23, 2011
Hello. I have downloaded the .zip and .tar files as well as purchased odin. When I flash the rom, Odin screen will tell me "Cannot Open Package Installer Error"

I have searched all night for a possible solution, can it be noone has had this error on Odin v4.20? Can you gurus help me? Suggestions?

Specs:
Was running MOAR NE5 before I wiped through odin.
I was also using Philz previously.
Phone is running fine on a rooted wiped version of MOAR NE5 but want to get to OA6.
Sprint S5
Knox 0x1 (2) (YUCK)
MD5 Checks out
If your Knox flag is already 0x1 then this thread is not for you. The whole point of flashing your S5 using the instructions in OP is to get a rooted Lollipop and keep your warranty intact(Knox 0x0). If you want rooted Lollipop, use this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2729617

jamesdean83

Mar 27, 2015
Philadelphia
sprint G900P

Correct, all G900P firmware aboots allow for downgrading to any of them via Odin. As for the above process, even though there is no risk of permanent damage to your device it would help Everyone if someone with enough experience attempt it so that we can get accurate results. There is no point in someone with little experience trying it and doing it incorrectly then reporting back that it did not work.

I have put on just about every firmware on my phone i have put ND2 and NE5 and NK4 i even went from in NK4 all the way back to ND2. And I never had any problems at all. Right now i am on 0A6 firmware. So my opinion you didn't do it but you do it at your own risk. I have a sprint galaxy s5. enjoy rooting

Reactions: pyrochance

autotech40

Jun 29, 2014
thanks

just the thread i have been looking for.i was flamed for asking this same question on how to downgrade to towel rootable fw,was told after 5.0 on g900p that it was impossible.still a noob learning to navigate this site,but have learned alot.was wondering what steps should one take to secure their rooted device?would love to know what the knowledgable people on this thread think.:good:

P.S would the instructions be the same with the free mobile odin?i mean i would like to try before i buy.i have bought alot of apps and they dont always work out for me.thanks again

Last edited:

streetracer8605

Sep 20, 2008
Cleveland
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I update my wife s5 tonight since she's been having a lot of issues on KK. I waited out updating until a Knox 0x0 method came out for her, so this thread was just what I needed. Here's to hoping her signal/data issues will be fixed

Reactions: muniz_ri

autotech40

Jun 29, 2014
mobile odin pro wont flash

i downgraded to 4.4.2 towel rooted,bought mobile odin pro.followed steps on post 1. mop starts to do its thing after ticking flash.but when it reboots to recovery i see it error that says cant open file.i tried the 5.0 rooted stock file,on both the internal and external sd card.i'm running latest super su from play store.bininaries updated and knox disabled fine,granted mobile odin pro su.dont know whats up with this.can anyone clue me into what i might be doing wrong?thanks sprint galaxy s5 rooted on 4.4.2

update..i guess i got a bad file the first download.the second 1 was alittle bigger 1.38 vrs. 1.41 g. alls good now.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyrochance

leond

Jul 15, 2008
Boston
I went through this and it all seems to work. now I have 2 issues. It says there is an OTA update, but won't install it because it's "modified". Issue #2 i do not have an option for wifi calling in settings. anyone else sees the same?

deafboy

Sep 24, 2008
I experienced the same reboots and the occasional "process system isn't responding" after two complete wipes. Much research and finally fed up, I decided to downgrade back to NK4 as the "features" of lollipop weren't worth the trouble.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I can confirm this works on my s5 with Knox status 0x0.

However I am getting random reboots now on the phone, any known issues or suggestions?

I have rolled out a new update and KeepRoot w/Knox (0×0) method for other S5 variants that works much better than a ROM. But due to the low number of downloads/interest here for the G900P I have not updated this thread. I will consider doing so if time allows.

pyrochance

Aug 27, 2012
Fort Worth
I have rolled out a new update and KeepRoot w/Knox (0×0) method for other S5 variants that works much better than a ROM. But due to the low number of downloads/interest here for the G900P I have not updated this thread. I will consider doing so if time allows.

We'll gladly use it when your able to bless us with it! Lol. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Free mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **You can begin the following process from any Build/ROM but you must already have Root Access**

**Required** FlashFire - Play BETA - PREVIEW
    1. Join the G+ community using the same Google account as you're using for Play on your phone/tablet Here.
    2. Sign up to receive the BETA versions from Play Here.
    - Use the link provided after sign-up to download the app.

**Caution!**The process below is only for the Sprint G900P S5 Variant! Use on any other device may result in a hardbrick.

Download:
    - G900P_OA6_Stock_Rooted_ROM (File removed for safety reasons. See here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=61362280&postcount=94)

Set your screen timeout setting to 10 mins before beginning!

1. Place the ROM onto your device (use either internal or ext-sdcard).
    2. Open the FlashFire app and "Agree" to the Terms and Conditions.
    3. Press "(+)" twice to bring up the "Actions" menu.
    4. Select "Flash Zip or OTA" and locate and select the ROM. Leave "Auto-mount" unchecked under the "Options" menu and press the checkmark to continue.
    5. From the main menu Uncheck all options under "EverRoot" and use default "Reboot" settings.
    6. Last, press the lightning bolt then "Ok" to begin the flash .

The screen will turn black then display the contents of your system before beginning the flash. FlashFire will pause for about 1 minute while flashing the "system" partition. Once complete your device will reboot and pause on the Sprint splash screen for about 1 - 2 minutes before completely rebooting. Done!

Tip: for blazing fast speed turn off animations from Developer Options and reboot!

Known Issues:
    - None!

Notes:
    1. This process will not affect your knox warranty flag.
    2. The above process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, Stock Recovery, and Bootloader to OA6.
    3. As of 5/7/2015 no need to wipe prior to flashing! The ROM will automatically perform a factory data reset.
    4. If you are currently unrooted and on a non-"Towelroot-able" firmware version you must a)downgrade to NE5 using Odin, b)root using Towelroot then proceed with the above process.
    Correct, all G900P firmware aboots allow for downgrading to any of them via Odin. As for the above process, even though there is no risk of permanent damage to your device it would help Everyone if someone with enough experience attempt it so that we can get accurate results. There is no point in someone with little experience trying it and doing it incorrectly then reporting back that it did not work.

I can confirm that you guys method totally works! I always thought the process was simple enough but was worried about downgrading after reading about hard-bricks on the forums. I downgraded to stock firmware version G900PVPU1ANE5 and applied towelroot. I then followed your instructions and I am now rooted on OA6 with a 0x0 Knox counter. System status shows custom of course so no chance of an OTA update, but this method is awesome! Thank you! :)

Screenshots below...
    You know at least one who is interested. Lol. I guess there's no way to rid our phones of that junk completely and finally. It will weigh into future Samsung considerations. [emoji46]

Correct, once secure boot is implemented it will always be there.

And here is a port of Hashcode's Safestrap for you to test out. This should be considered experimental at this point:

Instructions:
    1. You must aleady have root access and BusyBox installed!
    2. Place the Safestrap-SGS5-KitKat.apk onto your sdcard or extsdcard.
    3. Install the Safestrap.apk.
    4. Locate and open the Safestrap app from your app drawer and press "Install Recovery." Done!

Safestrap should be fully functional on KitKat but you will lose access to Safestrap Recovery on 5.0 However, once on 5.0 you can access Safestrap recovery by Odin flashing the G900P_NE5_Stock_Kernel(Safestrap does not flash kernels). Once you are done using Safestrap recovery, e.g. making a nandroid backup, flashing .zips, flash back the G900P_OA6_Stock_Kernel in order to successfully reboot. Safestrap does not trip the knox warranty flag. Let me know how it works. Thx
    What does this have to do with this thead?
    If you are on any Stock ROM above 4.4.2 and are unrooted, the only way to get rooted and still have Knox 0x0 is to downgrade to 4.4.2, root with Towelroot, and then do your flashes.

I can confirm that you guys method totally works! I always thought the process was simple enough but was worried about downgrading after reading about hard-bricks on the forums. I downgraded to stock firmware version G900PVPU1ANE5 and applied towelroot. I then followed your instructions and I am now rooted on OA6 with a 0x0 Knox counter. System status shows custom of course so no chance of an OTA update, but this method is awesome! Thank you! :)

You might want to put this in OP so your thread is not filled with questions about how to go from an unrooted Stock Lollipop to a Knox 0x0 rooted Stock Lollipop.

Edit: I can verify that after downgrading from Stock Lollipop to 4.4.2 using the link in my post above does indeed downgrade with Knox still 0x0 as MooreAJr has stated in his post.
    Wait, but I thought flashing an entire previous firmware resulted in hard-bricks because of Knox and its bootloader? I am not willing to try a flash of an old firmware if it risks bricking my device.

You can flash any stock tar without hard bricking. I've went from 4.4.4 to 5.0 and back prior to running the latest Android version with no problems

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone