[How to] Use facebook messages without messenger

Search This thread

nemoc 23

May 10, 2009
Cyprus
alterbytes.com
A quick guide for those who want to use Facebook messages without downloading facebook messenger.

Step 1
Uninstall Facebook messenger (if you have it installed)

Step 2
Make sure you have Unknown sources enabled from device settings

Step 3
Install the attached apk (hello world application) or create a new (empty) android project with the package name com.facebook.orca

As long as the only validation that the facebook app does is checking to find if an app with package name com.facebook.orca is installed on the phone this should work

Tested and working on N4 running omnirom 4.4.4

Attachments

• Messenger.apk
    773.5 KB · Views: 119,767

epraes

Jul 18, 2013
Thank you so much! It worked perfectly.

I went one step further: I froze your app once installed, and Facebook still thinks Messenger is installed. It has survived a reboot.

andriman

Feb 11, 2013
My tutorial:
(0. Uninstall Facebook Messenger...)
1. Go to Play Store and disable Auto-Update for Facebook.
2. Go to Apps - Facebook and Clear Data. Then Force Close the application.
3. Start Facebook, login and go to messages, click "Remind Later"
Tadaa - you can now use the chat in the native Facebook application without installing any apks.

Sim-X

Nov 2, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
Just what I was looking for! Such BS facebook makes you download an additional app to use messenger than I hardly ever use anyway. I refuse to use it, thanks op! Hopefully fb does not update the validation process.

Okamaokama

Dec 5, 2011
So glad that I find people who use the same method as me. However, I think Facebook stops the push notification service on purpose. I keep uninstalling and installing the facebook original app and hello world apk, and I would get push notifications for the first few hours or more. But then after this duration of time, I will not receive push notifications anymore out of no reason. Do you guys encounter the same problem as mine? Thank you.

BACARDILIMON

Jun 12, 2010
MASTIC BEACH NY
A quick guide for those who want to use Facebook messages without downloading facebook messenger.

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3
Install the attached apk (hello world application) or create a new (empty) android project with the package name com.facebook.orca

As long as the only validation that the facebook app does is checking to find if an app with package name com.facebook.orca is installed on the phone this should work

Thank you so so much sir you have saved me a nice chunk of battery life.

nemoc 23

May 10, 2009
Cyprus
alterbytes.com
Thank you, have a way around the whatsapp? In the case do not show that the message was read. :)

I'm not sure if this is available in the app from the play store (most probably it will be roll out in the next update if it wasn't already updated) because i don't have whatsapp installed on my phone but i think if you download the apk from the official whatapps website you can disable it from the settings menu
Settings > Account > Privacy
Uncheck Read receipts

Matrixie

Jun 10, 2014
Worked great, thanks for this.
I too am lacking in push notifications about messages.
This would be absolutely perfect if I got notified about messages!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

My tutorial:
    (0. Uninstall Facebook Messenger...)
    1. Go to Play Store and disable Auto-Update for Facebook.
    2. Go to Apps - Facebook and Clear Data. Then Force Close the application.
    3. Start Facebook, login and go to messages, click "Remind Later"
    Tadaa - you can now use the chat in the native Facebook application without installing any apks.
    Not working on lollipop, I have xiomi Mi4i.
    plz help if any tricks is there.

AFAIK nothing works with latest versions of FB app...
    I think, the best is use other app, e.g. Metal
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nam.fbwrapper
    Here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54168375&postcount=10 @serajr linked version without useless gui! That version have hidden icon in app drawer so it's more cool!
    Is that messenger.apk safe to use? Hope its not a spyware or a virus that can read our all Facebook messages or collect any information.
    Yes it collects all your information, also it will format your device and you will never be able to use it...