How to use steering wheel controls with the Atoto A6 Pro.

Search This thread

apollostees

Oct 22, 2009
Atlanta
Tracking this info down was a nightmare for me. Hope this is useful to someone.

Requirements:
• Axxess aswc-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface. (link)
• Time and patience.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT use the 3.5mm Female input (SWC IR-WIRELESS Steering Wheel Key Control Port) on the back of the Atoto A6 Pro. This port does not work for some reason.:confused:

**Connections to the Car**

1. Download the vehicle specific instructions for your car, as well as the "Axxess Steering Wheel Control Interface Installation Manual" (two different PDFs) from https://axxessinterfaces.com.
2. Follow the vehicle specific instructions to first connect the AWSC-1 to your car.

**Connections to the Radio**

1. The aswc-1 includes a female 3.5mm connector with a brown and brown/white wire coming out. Use this to connect to the Atoto’s Steering Wheel Key(+) and Steering Wheel Key#(+) wires.
2. Connect the "Steering Wheel Key+” wire of the Atoto A6 to the Brown/White wire of Axxess ASWC-1, connect the "Steering WheelKey#+” wire of the Atoto A6 to the Brown wire of the aswc-1
(yes, both of these wires are positive. I don't know who or why, but it works.)
3. Plug the male 3.5 mm jack from the aswc-1, into the female 3.5 mm jack that you wired up in step 2.
4. The ASWC-1 will NOT auto detect the Atoto A6. (don't worry, :cool: not a problem)
5. Follow the instructions from page 12 of the "Axxess Steering Wheel Control Interface Installation Manual" to change your radio type.
Change your radio type to "Visteon". (Visteon is radio type 8).
7. At this point you have completed configuring the aswc-1. Next, move on to your radio.
8. From the radio navigate to: Settings>Default settings>Steering wheel program.
9. Once at the screen press "Reset".
10. Then press any key value from the menu, it will begin to flash.
11. Finally press one of the buttons on your steering wheel. The flashing key (from step 10) on your radio will stop flashing, and a triangular symbol will appear on the key. This indicates the key has been successfully programmed.

repeat steps 10 and 11 until you have programmed all the steering wheel control buttons. :good:

Dajaka2013

Jan 27, 2015
first thanks for the guide there is nothing of information of those two wires anywhere.

second, I followed all the steps except the manual programming of the stereo, but use the axxess app to program the module as Visteon but I still can not make it to work, I know that axxess is well connected to the car because it already worked with my previous stereo but honestly I do not know what else I can do to make it work.

jackohound

Oct 16, 2018
Boston
ATOTO steering wheel control for cars with resistance circuit

Just wanted to mention that if you vehicle's steering wheel controls is based on a simple resistance circuit, then it can be connected directly to ATOTO with no need for Axxess aswc-1. My vehicle (2011 Subaru WRX) was in this category.

For my vehicle, there are two wires in the harness and the resistance between these two wires will change depending on which SWC button is pressed on the steering wheel. Unfortunately, the ATOTO documentation is dead wrong how to hook this up. The manual says that if your vehicle has two wires, you should connect the two wires from the vehicle to the "Steering WheelKey#+” and "Steering WheelKey+” wires. That doesn't work. Instead you should connect one of the vehicle wires to chassis ground and the other vehicle wire to either of the ATOTO "Steering WheelKey" wires. I think the ATOTO wires are both labeled as "+" because they assume the vehicle SWC will provide a path to ground. Hope this information helps someone else.

andrewd5418

Feb 26, 2018
Just wanted to mention that if you vehicle's steering wheel controls is based on a simple resistance circuit, then it can be connected directly to ATOTO with no need for Axxess aswc-1. My vehicle (2011 Subaru WRX) was in this category.

For my vehicle, there are two wires in the harness and the resistance between these two wires will change depending on which SWC button is pressed on the steering wheel. Unfortunately, the ATOTO documentation is dead wrong how to hook this up. The manual says that if your vehicle has two wires, you should connect the two wires from the vehicle to the "Steering WheelKey#+” and "Steering WheelKey+” wires. That doesn't work. Instead you should connect one of the vehicle wires to chassis ground and the other vehicle wire to either of the ATOTO "Steering WheelKey" wires. I think the ATOTO wires are both labeled as "+" because they assume the vehicle SWC will provide a path to ground. Hope this information helps someone else.
On the Atoto a6 there is a Steering Wheel Key + (Orange wire) and a Steering Wheel Key# + (Brown, Black Stripe).
On my Metra harness there is a Steering Wheel 1 (Green), Steering Wheel 2 (Blue), 12v (Red) and Ground (Black). All for the Steering controls.
This is on my 11 WRX.

jackohound

Oct 16, 2018
Boston
On the Atoto a6 there is a Steering Wheel Key + (Orange wire) and a Steering Wheel Key# + (Brown, Black Stripe).
On my Metra harness there is a Steering Wheel 1 (Green), Steering Wheel 2 (Blue), 12v (Red) and Ground (Black). All for the Steering controls.
This is on my 11 WRX.
Can you give a link to the Metra harness you have? The 2011 WRX steering wheel controls have 2 or 3 wires depending on your car's options, so having 4 steering wheel wires on the Metra harness seems strange. I'll paste one of the wiring diagrams here, guessing at your car's options. If you have trouble pasting a link to a Metra part like 70-8901 , just add some spaces onto the URL to make it look like plain text.
Also it would help to know if your 2011 WRX came originally from the factory with a non-bluetooth radio, bluetooth radio, or with the Navigation. The important point here is whether your steering wheel has just the Vol+/Vol-/Mode/Seek button cluster or if you also have the other cluster for controlling the bluetooth phone.

My guess is that you should connect Metra SteeringWheel1 to ATOTO Steering_Wheel_Key+, connect Metra SteeringWheel2 to Chassis Ground, and leave the any other steering wheel specific wires on your Metra harness unconnected since ATOTO doesnt need those. This is just a guess without the other info that I requested.

andrewd5418

Feb 26, 2018
My bad. It is an "upgraded metra". It won't let me post a link. From auto harness house part AHH-70-7552
My cars a limited no nav. So it has bluetooth.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jackohound

Oct 16, 2018
Boston
My bad. It is an "upgraded metra". It won't let me post a link. From auto harness house part AHH-70-7552
My cars a limited no nav. So it has bluetooth.
OK, so given that you have harness AHH-70-7552, then you should connect Metra SteeringWheel1 to ATOTO Steering_Wheel_Key+; connect Metra SteeringWheel2 to ATOTO Steering Wheel Key#+; leave the Metra SWC +12 and ground wires unconnected (ATOTO doesnt need those). The "third" common wire from your vehicle's SWC will be correctly connected by ground by the harness itself, as is noted in the AH-70-7552 product page:
*Pin 14 is grounded in the harness for the convenience of the installer. If this connection is not desired, cut the wire that connects between pin 14 and pin 10
BTW, you might find this AE64 page useful for details on the pinouts for your subaru's 20-pin connector.
On a separate topic, are you connecting a back-up camera to the ATOTO? Noticed that your Metra harness doesnt have the reverse gear signal.

andrewd5418

Feb 26, 2018
I was going to eventually and just run a wire from the reverse sensor wire to the units harness

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Do you know if I leave the parking brake wire disconnected on the atoto harness?

jackohound

Oct 16, 2018
Boston
I was going to eventually and just run a wire from the reverse sensor wire to the units harness
Do you know if I leave the parking brake wire disconnected on the atoto harness?
Yes, that's what I did on my install and what I would recommend. The ATOTO has a "feature" where it will disable playback of videos unless the parking brake is set, but that feature is disabled by default. There is no particular reason to connect the parking brake wire to the ATOTO unless you plan on enabling that feature.

alextrancoso

Nov 25, 2018
Atoto swc

Thank you for your tip, my car Mitsubishi Pajero dakar has 2 wires with diferent resisteses, i conected 1 cable from the car to ATOTO and the second cable of the car to ATOTO AND GROUND toghether, that was the only way that worked... if i leave the second cable of atoto without ground it do not work..

LoloTheJeeper

Dec 5, 2018
Outlander 2015 Problem

Hi All !
I followed your instructions.
I have a Outlander 2015 and a ATOTO Pro A6.
After configuring the AWSC-1, only two buttons on the steering wheel work in the mapping panel (Volume up and skip right) no other wheel button is recongnized by ATOTO
I tried to swap the wires from the male jack connected to Steering key and key# with no luck.
Anybody encountered the same problem ?
Thank you :)

inventiveash

Dec 8, 2018
help what colour

I have a 2011 subaru forester sounds like same wires /radio but what wire from the car do I need to connect? I understand I dont need a controller for this? there are 2 wires coming from atoto radio harness but what are the color of wires i need to connect to the car?

jackohound

Oct 16, 2018
Boston
I have a 2011 subaru forester sounds like same wires /radio but what wire from the car do I need to connect?
Did your 2011 Subaru Forester come from the factory with Navigation? If not, then does your steering wheel one cluster of SWC buttons (Vol+,Vol-, Seek+, Seek-, Mode, Mute) or does it also have the second cluster of SWC buttons for controlling Bluetooth phone? These questions affects the color and location of the wires you'll be looking for.

jackohound

Oct 16, 2018
Boston
It has volume +&-
Tune up and down
Mode
No mute button
OK, Take that to mean your 2011 Subaru Forester did not come with factory navigation and does not have the Bluetooth steering wheel buttons. In that case, you are looking for the following two wires on your car:
  • Yellow wire: Connected to pin 14 of your 20-pin Subaru audio connector.
  • LightGreen with red stripe: Connected to pin 4 of the 20-pin Subaru audio connector.
Refer to pics and pinouts of the 20-pin Subaru connector. Connect one of the above two Subaru wires (either one) to ground. Connect the remaining Subaru wire to ATOTO orange-black steering wheel key (+).

Leave the ATOTO brown-black steering wheel key #(+) unconnected. This worked for me, but others had reported that they needed to connect the steering wheel key #(+) to ground, so you could try that if needed.

Reactions: CharlesKEP

inventiveash

Dec 8, 2018
Thank you, I will give it a try,
Since you are familiar any idea the best place for finding a reverse light wire easy to get to.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

naps1saps

Mar 15, 2009
2015 Honda Fit
I've got the AWSC-01 connected to the HDCC-02 harness. The module will sense my buttons for setup but I cannot get it to work with the head unit. The head unit will detect a button press when the module ends it's setup mode on boot though. I've got it hooked up as described using the wires through the HDCC-02 harness. I even tried grounding each wire and it didn't make a difference.

According to another user they had to buy a $100 adapter to get it to work. I really don't want to pay $100 for steering wheel buttons.
Help would be appreciated.

CharlesKEP

Jan 9, 2019
2014 WRX l, no nav, bluetooth.

So my Metra harness did not come with steering wheel pins (4, 13, 14) can I just bypass the harness and hook it up straight from the A6 to the cars wires?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tracking this info down was a nightmare for me. Hope this is useful to someone.

Requirements:
    • Axxess aswc-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface. (link)
    • Time and patience.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT use the 3.5mm Female input (SWC IR-WIRELESS Steering Wheel Key Control Port) on the back of the Atoto A6 Pro. This port does not work for some reason.:confused:

**Connections to the Car**

1. Download the vehicle specific instructions for your car, as well as the "Axxess Steering Wheel Control Interface Installation Manual" (two different PDFs) from https://axxessinterfaces.com.
    2. Follow the vehicle specific instructions to first connect the AWSC-1 to your car.

**Connections to the Radio**

1. The aswc-1 includes a female 3.5mm connector with a brown and brown/white wire coming out. Use this to connect to the Atoto’s Steering Wheel Key(+) and Steering Wheel Key#(+) wires.
    2. Connect the "Steering Wheel Key+” wire of the Atoto A6 to the Brown/White wire of Axxess ASWC-1, connect the "Steering WheelKey#+” wire of the Atoto A6 to the Brown wire of the aswc-1
    (yes, both of these wires are positive. I don't know who or why, but it works.)
    3. Plug the male 3.5 mm jack from the aswc-1, into the female 3.5 mm jack that you wired up in step 2.
    4. The ASWC-1 will NOT auto detect the Atoto A6. (don't worry, :cool: not a problem)
    5. Follow the instructions from page 12 of the "Axxess Steering Wheel Control Interface Installation Manual" to change your radio type.
    Change your radio type to "Visteon". (Visteon is radio type 8).
    7. At this point you have completed configuring the aswc-1. Next, move on to your radio.
    8. From the radio navigate to: Settings>Default settings>Steering wheel program.
    9. Once at the screen press "Reset".
    10. Then press any key value from the menu, it will begin to flash.
    11. Finally press one of the buttons on your steering wheel. The flashing key (from step 10) on your radio will stop flashing, and a triangular symbol will appear on the key. This indicates the key has been successfully programmed.

repeat steps 10 and 11 until you have programmed all the steering wheel control buttons. :good:
    ATOTO steering wheel control for cars with resistance circuit

It has volume +&-
    Tune up and down
    Mode
    No mute button
    OK, Take that to mean your 2011 Subaru Forester did not come with factory navigation and does not have the Bluetooth steering wheel buttons. In that case, you are looking for the following two wires on your car:
    • Yellow wire: Connected to pin 14 of your 20-pin Subaru audio connector.
    • LightGreen with red stripe: Connected to pin 4 of the 20-pin Subaru audio connector.
    Refer to pics and pinouts of the 20-pin Subaru connector. Connect one of the above two Subaru wires (either one) to ground. Connect the remaining Subaru wire to ATOTO orange-black steering wheel key (+).

Leave the ATOTO brown-black steering wheel key #(+) unconnected. This worked for me, but others had reported that they needed to connect the steering wheel key #(+) to ground, so you could try that if needed.
    any idea the best place for finding a reverse light wire easy to get to?
    On 2011 Subaru Forester with factory navigation, that wire (a brown wire with yellow stripe) would be brought out to one of the navigation connectors. Don't know if that wire is accessible in your vehicle's instrument panel harness or not.
    I disconnected the atoto. I then attached an ohm meter and can see changes between pin 4 and 13. No resistance changes when I measure 4 to 14 or 13 to 14. Three of the 6 buttons (off hook, on hook, voice command) cause resistance changes. No resistance changes when I press vol+, vol- or mode.
    I dont have any great insights to the problem other than confirming that 2014 Outback uses resistive SWC and that pins 4, 13 and 14 on the Subaru harness appear to be the right signals. Pin 14 should be the common one, and AFAIK should be connected for ground for ATOTO. There are some factory service manuals here including 2014 Outback. I attached the wiring diagram that I think matches your vehicle, maybe that will help? The Bluetooth (off hook, on hook, and voice) buttons should show resistance changes between pins 13 and 14. The radio (vol+, vol-, seek+, seek-, mode) buttons should show resistance changes between pins 4 and 14.

Edit: I guess another idea is to make sure that the signals your are measuring (pins 4, 13, and 14) on the factory harness have wire colors that match what is in the wiring diagram below. I've found it's easy to get mixed up when looking at the harness backwards and end up probing the wrong signal.