How to use steering wheel controls with the Atoto A6 Pro.

Search This thread

lastdeadmouse

Hello I was wondering if you could help me, I have everything set up as per your instructions thank you! However I am only able to set the volume up and down, and seek up button ( this button however sometimes seeks other times does volume down which is very fusterating do you know what the problem could be?

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Hey did you get this figured out I have the same issue!!
You could check the resistance between the swc wire and ground while pressing each button. Perhaps the resistance is really close together or varying for some reason. The first thing I'd try is to clear the swc assignments and re set them.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Greengear

May 31, 2019
You could check the resistance between the swc wire and ground while pressing each button. Perhaps the resistance is really close together or varying for some reason. The first thing I'd try is to clear the swc assignments and re set them.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

When I reversed swc and ground my steering wheel button presses registered in a strange way. One button press would create two alternating results such as volume up then volume down.

voigts

Aug 22, 2011
Chattanooga
I must have tried 40 times to get the AXXESS unit to go into radio program mode. I followed the directions exactly over and over from both their written directions and video. Then I found out that you can download the AXXESS updater program for PC and among other things make the radio change to Visteon per your directions in like 2 seconds with a micro USB cable. Now the controls work perfectly. Thank you for your post, and I hope this helps someone else.

nimbus22

Mar 31, 2013
I've read through all the posts and believe my car swc is resistive and don't need an external Axxess box. I have a 2014 outback with bluetooth. I have a subaru metra harness which doesn't have pins 4 (swc1), 13(swc2), 14 (common).

I went from the car harness directly to the atoto a6 for the missing pins.

pin 4 (car) to atoto swk + pin 2
pin 13 (car) to atoto swk key + pin 12
pin 14 (car) to ground

Nothing happens, meaning Atoto isn't recognizing the swc keys or programming requests.

I disconnected the atoto. I then attached an ohm meter and can see changes between pin 4 and 13. No resistance changes when I measure 4 to 14 or 13 to 14. Three of the 6 buttons (off hook, on hook, voice command) cause resistance changes. No resistance changes when I press vol+, vol- or mode.

I reinstalled the factory radio and all the swc keys are working.

FWIW, the atoto is working fine other than the swc functions.

Any advice would be appreciated

jackohound

Oct 16, 2018
Boston
I disconnected the atoto. I then attached an ohm meter and can see changes between pin 4 and 13. No resistance changes when I measure 4 to 14 or 13 to 14. Three of the 6 buttons (off hook, on hook, voice command) cause resistance changes. No resistance changes when I press vol+, vol- or mode.
I dont have any great insights to the problem other than confirming that 2014 Outback uses resistive SWC and that pins 4, 13 and 14 on the Subaru harness appear to be the right signals. Pin 14 should be the common one, and AFAIK should be connected for ground for ATOTO. There are some factory service manuals here including 2014 Outback. I attached the wiring diagram that I think matches your vehicle, maybe that will help? The Bluetooth (off hook, on hook, and voice) buttons should show resistance changes between pins 13 and 14. The radio (vol+, vol-, seek+, seek-, mode) buttons should show resistance changes between pins 4 and 14.

Edit: I guess another idea is to make sure that the signals your are measuring (pins 4, 13, and 14) on the factory harness have wire colors that match what is in the wiring diagram below. I've found it's easy to get mixed up when looking at the harness backwards and end up probing the wrong signal.

Last edited:
Reactions: nimbus22

nimbus22

Mar 31, 2013
I dont have any great insights to the problem other than confirming that 2014 Outback uses resistive SWC and that pins 4, 13 and 14 on the Subaru harness appear to be the right signals. Pin 14 should be the common one, and AFAIK should be connected for ground for ATOTO. There are some factory service manuals here including 2014 Outback. I attached the wiring diagram that I think matches your vehicle, maybe that will help? The Bluetooth (off hook, on hook, and voice) buttons should show resistance changes between pins 13 and 14. The radio (vol+, vol-, seek+, seek-, mode) buttons should show resistance changes between pins 4 and 14.

Edit: I guess another idea is to make sure that the signals your are measuring (pins 4, 13, and 14) on the factory harness have wire colors that match what is in the wiring diagram below. I've found it's easy to get mixed up when looking at the harness backwards and end up probing the wrong signal.

Thanks for the schematic.

It gave me some more things to try. Basically, I disconnected everything and made measurements from the 3 pins of the car radio harness. That still didn't work. I thought to jump pin 14 to car frame ground. Made the measurements again and then saw all the buttons were responding. So measuring between the 3 pins can give strange (or no) results unless you ground pin 14.

Reconnected the harness and was then able to map the both car swcs to the atoto. Not sure why it didn't work yesterday since this was the same setup I previously had. Regardless, I didn't want to spend too much time on trouble shooting combinations of things that may have caused it to not work.

Just confirming if your car has resistive swc controls, you can get swc1 and swc# to work with the atoto without the need for the axxess unit. I'm sure there are many cars that still need the axxess unit for swc.

2008forester

Sep 20, 2019
Did your 2011 Subaru Forester come from the factory with Navigation? If not, then does your steering wheel one cluster of SWC buttons (Vol+,Vol-, Seek+, Seek-, Mode, Mute) or does it also have the second cluster of SWC buttons for controlling Bluetooth phone? These questions affects the color and location of the wires you'll be looking for.

Hi, Sorry for dragging this up but you seem rather knowledgeable in regards to subaru's, My 2008 forester came with nav and as far as I can tell pin 3 (car side it's SWC+) and pin 15 (car side it's SWC-). going by your other posts SWC+ should go to key 1 and SWC- and key 2 should go to chassis ground, does this sound correct or have I messed it up?
Thankyou for any help!

jackohound

Oct 16, 2018
Boston
My 2008 forester came with nav and as far as I can tell pin 3 (car side it's SWC+) and pin 15 (car side it's SWC-). going by your other posts SWC+ should go to key 1 and SWC- and key 2 should go to chassis ground, does this sound correct or have I messed it up?

The Subaru wiring diagrams for Model Year 2008 dont have any information on steering wheel controls which makes me uncertain if this was an option, and based on 2008 service manuals, I'm also not seeing Navigation being an option. So I'm unsure about the wiring of your 2008 Forrester.

For model year 2009 Forrester with navigation, on the factory 24-pin harness, Pin 3 will have a Yellow wire and Pin 15 have a Light Green with Red stripe wire, and those to connect to the steering wheel button cluster. Those wires would be connected to ATOTO as you had described.

For finding this information yourself, the factory service manual for most Subarus are available here and and Wiring Section PDF for the Navigation System shows these wiring details.

2008forester

Sep 20, 2019
The Subaru wiring diagrams for Model Year 2008 dont have any information on steering wheel controls which makes me uncertain if this was an option, and based on 2008 service manuals, I'm also not seeing Navigation being an option. So I'm unsure about the wiring of your 2008 Forrester.

For model year 2009 Forrester with navigation, on the factory 24-pin harness, Pin 3 will have a Yellow wire and Pin 15 have a Light Green with Red stripe wire, and those to connect to the steering wheel button cluster. Those wires would be connected to ATOTO as you had described.

Yep, my car is a late 2008 premium SH XT essentially the same as a 2009, sorry for the confusion ha. Thank you for the link!
I'll have another go at installing the wires.

Hectorbere

Sep 21, 2019
EE.UU
Steering wheel control Atoto A6 universal 2 din

hello install my radio brand atoto a6 and the steering wheel control pac-swi-cp5 install it and the steering wheel controls do not respond connect it by jack 3.5 the radio has 2 cables that say steering wheel control + and another the same but says steering wheel control + # I can't make him answer the wheel anyone can help me thanks

keithobri

Sep 21, 2011
2017 Honda Accord Sport - Metra Kit 99-7804HG and ASWC-1

I followed the instructions and I can only get Vol+ and Vol- to register while programming. Any ideas on what to do or how to rewire?

Berto1212

Apr 1, 2014
Just wanted to mention that if you vehicle's steering wheel controls is based on a simple resistance circuit, then it can be connected directly to ATOTO with no need for Axxess aswc-1. My vehicle (2011 Subaru WRX) was in this category.

For my vehicle, there are two wires in the harness and the resistance between these two wires will change depending on which SWC button is pressed on the steering wheel. Unfortunately, the ATOTO documentation is dead wrong how to hook this up. The manual says that if your vehicle has two wires, you should connect the two wires from the vehicle to the "Steering WheelKey#+” and "Steering WheelKey+” wires. That doesn't work. Instead you should connect one of the vehicle wires to chassis ground and the other vehicle wire to either of the ATOTO "Steering WheelKey" wires. I think the ATOTO wires are both labeled as "+" because they assume the vehicle SWC will provide a path to ground. Hope this information helps someone else.
Thanks a lot! I have a Coroll 2010 Type S with original radio unit with SWC. How I know if it is simple resistance circuit?

LethalOD

Dec 17, 2019
HI, I need help with a 2011 Malibu It has 1 wire blue for steering wheel control I wired the brown and white to it and then the brown one individually and then both together and I get no working keys should I put one of those the the ground of the atoto harness or do I need the Axxess 1?

NOTE I did the atoto also on a 2004 avalanche I had the Axxess on there from previous stereo and I had to Use the method mentioned at first post using the female connector so big thanks to you I got my controls working there Is just this Malibu that's giving me a hard time idk if I need the Axxess since the one blue steering control wire is not recognizing it by Atoto steering control wires.

jackohound

Oct 16, 2018
Boston
HI, I need help with a 2011 Malibu It has 1 wire blue for steering wheel control I wired the brown and white to it and then the brown one individually and then both together and I get no working keys should I put one of those the the ground of the atoto harness or do I need the Axxess 1?
I did some searching and yes, it seems that everyone who is installing aftermarket radio into 2011 Malibu needs some kind of SWC module. Seems like this is neeed not only for the SWC (which is non-resistive) but also to retain the sounds for warning chimes and the click sounds for the directional. I have no experience with 2011 Chevys, but that was my conclusion.

Reactions: sd_shadow

lehjr

Sep 27, 2011
KIssimmee
Just got my SWC working in my 2018 Corolla LE. It does work without any kind of addon modules, but you need to add resistors in series to the SWC1 and SWC2 in order for the Mode/Mute and the Next button to work. For whatever reason, those 2 buttons bring the SWC line they're on to 0 volts, and the head unit won't let you program for that button. I used 2.2K Ohm resistors since I had some laying around and it works fine now.

ysanchez27

Jan 23, 2020
Hello

I am trying to install one of these Chinese radio, I had cut the 3.5mm jack and solder directly to the Key1 and Key2,

I am pretty sure it is correctly hooked as it only require Red (ACC 12v) Black (Ground) and Orange (SWC) as per manual, I programmed as per guide and I see it is blinking with any key I press, but I its not working, I test with a multimeter and I cannot get any signal, do you have any advise, I would really appreciate it.

Also I see there are 2 black wires to join to the main in PAC device, do I need to hook both?

lost800

Dec 11, 2010
Hi guys, thanks for this thread.
Even though none of the info in it worked for me (!) :D
At least it showed me that it is possible...
Spent hours trying to get an ATOTO A6 to work with a 2008 Kia Rondo to no avail.

Eventually I just started trying random connections and finally something worked:

Car side has 4 wires going into a connector. Two of these should show changing resistance when SWC pressed.
On my car these are two in the middle.

Wire one of these to Steering wheel control + and the other to ground.
I wired the ground by tapping the harness on the ATOTO.

To be clear:
Car side SWC1 to Atoto SWC+
Car side SWC2 to Atoto Chasis (-) ground

I don't know why this worked, but it did.
Things that didn't work but mentioned in thread:
Any Car SWC to Atoto SWC(#/+) any combo
Car SWC to SWC(#) and Car SWC to SWC+ AND ground

Wire one of the car

Last edited:
Reactions: treypop

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tracking this info down was a nightmare for me. Hope this is useful to someone.

Requirements:
    • Axxess aswc-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface. (link)
    • Time and patience.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT use the 3.5mm Female input (SWC IR-WIRELESS Steering Wheel Key Control Port) on the back of the Atoto A6 Pro. This port does not work for some reason.:confused:

**Connections to the Car**

1. Download the vehicle specific instructions for your car, as well as the "Axxess Steering Wheel Control Interface Installation Manual" (two different PDFs) from https://axxessinterfaces.com.
    2. Follow the vehicle specific instructions to first connect the AWSC-1 to your car.

**Connections to the Radio**

1. The aswc-1 includes a female 3.5mm connector with a brown and brown/white wire coming out. Use this to connect to the Atoto’s Steering Wheel Key(+) and Steering Wheel Key#(+) wires.
    2. Connect the "Steering Wheel Key+” wire of the Atoto A6 to the Brown/White wire of Axxess ASWC-1, connect the "Steering WheelKey#+” wire of the Atoto A6 to the Brown wire of the aswc-1
    (yes, both of these wires are positive. I don't know who or why, but it works.)
    3. Plug the male 3.5 mm jack from the aswc-1, into the female 3.5 mm jack that you wired up in step 2.
    4. The ASWC-1 will NOT auto detect the Atoto A6. (don't worry, :cool: not a problem)
    5. Follow the instructions from page 12 of the "Axxess Steering Wheel Control Interface Installation Manual" to change your radio type.
    Change your radio type to "Visteon". (Visteon is radio type 8).
    7. At this point you have completed configuring the aswc-1. Next, move on to your radio.
    8. From the radio navigate to: Settings>Default settings>Steering wheel program.
    9. Once at the screen press "Reset".
    10. Then press any key value from the menu, it will begin to flash.
    11. Finally press one of the buttons on your steering wheel. The flashing key (from step 10) on your radio will stop flashing, and a triangular symbol will appear on the key. This indicates the key has been successfully programmed.

repeat steps 10 and 11 until you have programmed all the steering wheel control buttons. :good:
    ATOTO steering wheel control for cars with resistance circuit

Just wanted to mention that if you vehicle's steering wheel controls is based on a simple resistance circuit, then it can be connected directly to ATOTO with no need for Axxess aswc-1. My vehicle (2011 Subaru WRX) was in this category.

For my vehicle, there are two wires in the harness and the resistance between these two wires will change depending on which SWC button is pressed on the steering wheel. Unfortunately, the ATOTO documentation is dead wrong how to hook this up. The manual says that if your vehicle has two wires, you should connect the two wires from the vehicle to the "Steering WheelKey#+” and "Steering WheelKey+” wires. That doesn't work. Instead you should connect one of the vehicle wires to chassis ground and the other vehicle wire to either of the ATOTO "Steering WheelKey" wires. I think the ATOTO wires are both labeled as "+" because they assume the vehicle SWC will provide a path to ground. Hope this information helps someone else.
    It has volume +&-
    Tune up and down
    Mode
    No mute button
    OK, Take that to mean your 2011 Subaru Forester did not come with factory navigation and does not have the Bluetooth steering wheel buttons. In that case, you are looking for the following two wires on your car:
    • Yellow wire: Connected to pin 14 of your 20-pin Subaru audio connector.
    • LightGreen with red stripe: Connected to pin 4 of the 20-pin Subaru audio connector.
    Refer to pics and pinouts of the 20-pin Subaru connector. Connect one of the above two Subaru wires (either one) to ground. Connect the remaining Subaru wire to ATOTO orange-black steering wheel key (+).

Leave the ATOTO brown-black steering wheel key #(+) unconnected. This worked for me, but others had reported that they needed to connect the steering wheel key #(+) to ground, so you could try that if needed.
    any idea the best place for finding a reverse light wire easy to get to?
    On 2011 Subaru Forester with factory navigation, that wire (a brown wire with yellow stripe) would be brought out to one of the navigation connectors. Don't know if that wire is accessible in your vehicle's instrument panel harness or not.