• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question How Valuable is 5G?

Search This thread

varcor

Jul 15, 2017
San Diego
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
It's been around 2 years since 5G was made available on flagship and some mid-level devices. Curious if faster downloads and streaming is genuinely valuable and beyond this what other benefits are users experiencing with 5G functionality? Scale is 1 - 5 with 1 being little to no value and 5 being extremely valuable.

Paperdin

Feb 8, 2021
3 the speed is really nice but the coverage is really bad, but this is just normal in Germany same with 4G at this time

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210308-114058_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20210308-114058_Speedtest.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: mpore14

SuperIronOut

Sep 5, 2020
It all depends on if you value your privacy. 4G allowed carriers to estimate your location to a very limited degree, within a block radius, as opposed to 5G where carriers can pinpoint your exact location within a few ft', regardless of the use of a VPN. Depending on the carrier you use, this location information is used by carriers to varying degrees in ways you would most likely oppose and consider obtrusive.
There's a reason it's being pushed so hard, even if 4G is still very reliable in terms of speed.

Collin80

Nov 14, 2018
At home I have 5G service. On wifi speedtest told me 131Mbps down, 40.2 up. On 5G it was 133 and 28.5. Actually, it's odd that wifi was so low. I can do 40 megabytes per second while downloading steam games on wifi so something is off with the reading. But, 5G is probably pretty accurate for my area. I wouldn't call the 5G speed fast. It's decent. It's probably just 4G and they're calling it 5G but... it works. So, right now I'd say it's a 1 at home, sometimes nearer the big city it's better and then maybe it's a 3. Sometimes I can get it in range of very small spots where it's super fast and then maybe I'd rate it a 4. But, honestly whether my Ultra is in 4G or 5G it always seems "fast enough." So I guess 5G really isn't such a big deal.

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
It's been around 2 years since 5G was made available on flagship and some mid-level devices. Curious if faster downloads and streaming is genuinely valuable and beyond this what other benefits are users experiencing with 5G functionality? Scale is 1 - 5 with 1 being little to no value and 5 being extremely valuable.
I would value it at 3, if it means extra costs, I would skip it.
Yes it's faster, but I don't know what you use your phone's mobile connection for?
Watching Youtube, browsing the web? 4G already fast enough
Tethering for work? 4G already fast enough to check emails and such
Tethering to download/upload large files, like games or video files maybe? If the data is unlimited, then it's more comfortable but optional.

Coverage? Here in Hong Kong where I live, it's great, but who knows in many countries.

As I said, more expensive=would pass, same price=why not?

Reactions: varcor

varcor

Jul 15, 2017
San Diego
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
To phrase it in an a different way, I'm questioning the way it's been marketed. It's touted by device manufacturers and service providers as the greatest innovation since the invention of the wheel. Going forward it should be worth the investment for certain IoT but I'm not clear what those features will be and they still seem to be some ways off. I don't use it and would be hesitant if it came at a cost. 4G LTE is pretty fast for any practical purposes. My service provider T-mobile offers plans at $20/5GB, $30/10GB and $40/30GB per month. If Samsung offered the S21 for $200 less without 5G I'd probably take it. At this point in time I'd be hard pressed to grade it beyond 1.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    At this stage I’d have to give 5G a one, but we don’t know yet what this new technology with its enhanced bandwidth will make possible in the future.
    3 the speed is really nice but the coverage is really bad, but this is just normal in Germany same with 4G at this time
    I would value it at 3, if it means extra costs, I would skip it.
    Yes it's faster, but I don't know what you use your phone's mobile connection for?
    Watching Youtube, browsing the web? 4G already fast enough
    Tethering for work? 4G already fast enough to check emails and such
    Tethering to download/upload large files, like games or video files maybe? If the data is unlimited, then it's more comfortable but optional.

Coverage? Here in Hong Kong where I live, it's great, but who knows in many countries.

As I said, more expensive=would pass, same price=why not?
    It's useful for using more battery especially on 1st generation phones🤭🤣