General How's your batterylife experience with S22 Ultra coming straight from S21 Ultra?

Do participate in the poll as well.šŸ‘

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
I took longer time to avoid any miscalculation. Checked thoroughly for the last few weeks. Tested well with the "AVCJ" April build as well.

The battery endurance of S22 Ultra is lower than S21 Ultra. I used to get about 8 hrs(total runtime of about 24 hours and a little more sometimes) over Wi-Fi with 21U, whereas with S22U I'm getting approx 7 hours(total runtime of about 20 hrs) of SOT over Wi-Fi. Over mobile data(4G), I'm getting approx 5 hrs(some 15 hrs of total runtime) of SOT and with S21U I used to get approx 6 hrs(about 19 hrs of total runtime).

- All these while exactly on same settings & my usage pattern.
Did you notice any improvements even if it's slight from the March update to the April one? I'm still on the March one awaiting for the April build to make it to my region and battery life improvement is no 1 on my wish list..

linom

I took longer time to avoid any miscalculation. Checked thoroughly for the last few weeks. Tested well with the "AVCJ" April build as well.

The battery endurance of S22 Ultra is lower than S21 Ultra. I used to get about 8 hrs(total runtime of about 24 hours and a little more sometimes) over Wi-Fi with 21U, whereas with S22U I'm getting approx 7 hours(total runtime of about 20 hrs) of SOT over Wi-Fi. Over mobile data(4G), I'm getting approx 5 hrs(some 15 hrs of total runtime) of SOT and with S21U I used to get approx 6 hrs(about 19 hrs of total runtime).

- All these while exactly on same settings & my usage pattern.
Thanks Buddy, I bit the bullet and bought it over the weekend :). The battery learning phase is over and my 3rd day gives me a forecast of 5.5 hrs SOT on Wifi. No debloat but disabled all unnecessary stuff through the Apps menu, using WQHD and updated for the April 'AVCJ' patch. I've barely used the phone as was busy working. However it seems I can hit 7-8 hrs SOT easily if I use it extensively.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220412-184252_GSam Battery Monitor.jpg
    Screenshot_20220412-184252_GSam Battery Monitor.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: Virgo_Guy

Virgo_Guy

Did you notice any improvements even if it's slight from the March update to the April one? I'm still on the March one awaiting for the April build to make it to my region and battery life improvement is no 1 on my wish list..
Post April update, it immediately felt like there was a sudden boost in batterylife(I didn't make any change anywhere) for a day or two, only to experience exactly the same batterylife that it used to provide before April update in the next consecutive days till date.

Reactions: dj24

karandevilocs

Dec 6, 2010
it was higher than my S21ultra while still keeping it all cool under heavy tasks and game UNTIL i installed the latest APRIL update, I'm now re-optimzing everything from scratch to find out if it gets better or not,

SOT was around 7~8hrs for 24hr cycle and now it dropped to 5hrs in under 24hr and it gets noticeably warmer than before.

ratchetrizzo

Jun 3, 2010
Newark, DE
i came from a note 9 and im telling you battery life compared to that is TERRIBLE.
I can get 3 days with my note 9 off the charger with normal use and with my S22U I *HAVE* to charge it every 18 hours no matter what because it's down to 5% by then and it's all the same apps, same bloatware disabled, and i have the screen refresh set to drop to 10-96
I hope this update that they just pushed to me today helps but if it wasn't for certain apps not working on 8.1 anymore (skullcandy buds for when Im at the gym, wont install on 8.1) I'd sell this and go back to the note 9, the stylus is bigger, on the correct side, doesn't require multiple keyboards to write stuff (i dont like the samsung keyboard, never did).
Just disappointed so far with this other than it being fast.. yeah fast and draining your battery

Sleepycat3

May 8, 2011
I had an S20 Ultra. Screen on time is similar. Screen off time is much much better on the S22 Ultra.

iamnotkurtcobain

Oct 30, 2010
Vienna
S22U Exynos. Galaxy Watch connected 24/7, NO flight mode or battery saver.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220418-181206_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20220418-181206_Device care.jpg
    704 KB · Views: 180

Virgo_Guy

6 hours SOT over WiFi and 4.5 hours of SOT over mobile data in a total runtime of about 20 & 16 hours respectively has become the new norm in my S22U. This is not just much worse than S21U, but also poorer than several previous Samsung flagships.

I can make it last way longer with workarounds, but with similar usage pattern & settings it's been a bad show from S22U from the get go in my experience.

carlitobahsoun

Sep 26, 2012
beirut lebanon
6 hours SOT over WiFi and 4.5 hours of SOT over mobile data in a total runtime of about 20 & 16 hours respectively has become the new norm in my S22U. This is not just much worse than S21U, but also poorer than several previous Samsung flagships.

I can make it last way longer with workarounds, but with similar usage pattern & settings it's been a bad show from S22U from the get go in my experience.
watch this my dear friend.really samsung bad battery life

Attachments

• iPhone 13 Pro Max vs Galaxy S22 Ultra vs Xiaomi 12 Pro vs OnePlus 10 Pro - BATTERY Drain Test!...mp4
    18 MB · Views: 0

linom

I believe the bad battery life is overhyped, at least for the SD version. It may not last as long as iPhone13PM but its hell of a productivity tool.

I was on the road from 11 am (100% battery), with dual sims active and GPS active for a full 3 hours to get driving directions, playing music on Android Auto for 2 hours, took over 2 dozen pics and a couple of FHD videos for 15 mins, the battery was at 35% by 8 pm when I reached my destination. So I would say the battery easily lasts a day, maybe just not as long as some other phones.

Each use case may be different, but Samsung is known to push updates to gradually improve battery life and am sure the updates in the following months will only make the battery better.

Reactions: readymarc

readymarc

Dec 30, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I believe the bad battery life is overhyped, at least for the SD version. It may not last as long as iPhone13PM but its hell of a productivity tool.

I was on the road from 11 am (100% battery), with dual sims active and GPS active for a full 3 hours to get driving directions, playing music on Android Auto for 2 hours, took over 2 dozen pics and a couple of FHD videos for 15 mins, the battery was at 35% by 8 pm when I reached my destination. So I would say the battery easily lasts a day, maybe just not as long as some other phones.

Each use case may be different, but Samsung is known to push updates to gradually improve battery life and am sure the updates in the following months will only make the battery better.
Agreed. We all went through this same problem with the s21 ultra. Updates will make it better.

Reactions: cbragg
I also agree. This phone does last a day easily under normal use. If you do a lot of streaming or social media, of course it will drain the battery. Power is available everywhere (be it portable power or not). If you look at the forums for most new phones, this is the one thing (other than root) that seems to always dominate the threads. It should get better, but if not, maybe a change in habits or carry a portable power cell for high use times.

EU folks have been livid at the performance of the S22 (as they should be), but Samsung just sent out an update and many are now happy with the performance. Patience should solve many issues. If people are so displeased, then go to another phone. All you will get is a different brand with other issues.

I myself was on an S20+ and upgraded to the S22 Ultra do to the deal I got. I was happy with the S20+ and to tell you the truth, I have seen no issues with my S22 Ultra. I have a few apps I will disable, but I have been running the phone as is to see how it is and as I said, I am happy. I would have loved to have a micro SD slot, but I can live without it. As for headphone jack, never really missed it. Just switched to a wireless one and do not miss the wire dangling around.

I hope everyone gets what they want from the phone. I know I have. I also got one for the wife and she has no complaints (that was a big deal too). People seem to call it junk when they cannot get exactly what they want. No phone does everything right out of the box. Some have been better then others, but none have been perfect. Some will get a lemon device, but all the devices are lemons. Mostly just user expectations too high. Most would be much happier if they did not get the phones when they release, but wait 6 months to a year to get them.

Reactions: linom

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Considering it has a 5000 mAh battery this isn't a lot of bang for the mAh. Especially when you consider in actual usage it's only marginally faster than the N10+ for most activities. The lag on the N9 is quit noticable in comparison but not with the N10+.

I'm not pleased at all with Samsung or Google Android at this point. Maybe these devices aren't properly optimized but the variable refresh rate display, 5G and scoped storage are definitely take their toll. The increased current draw means a hotter running phone.
I wonder how a N20U running Android 10 would do in comparison to the S22U, real world usage/SOT? How much is hardware vs OS version?

Virgo_Guy

Did another comparison using S21U(Exynos) and S22U(Snapdragon). Both are similarly configured with similar settings, used by me. 100% "indoors" usages connected to the same Wi-Fi network.

8 hrs 38 mins SOT, 1 day 2 hrs total runtime - S21 Ultra.
5 hrs 43 mins SOT, 21 hrs 40 mins total runtime - S22 Ultra.

Difference is big.

Attachments

• S21U(Exynos).jpg
    S21U(Exynos).jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 79
  • S22U(Snapdragon).jpg
    S22U(Snapdragon).jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    my experience, bad. In reviews, they claim that there is a 5-10% reduction, but in my opinion, it is at least 20% worse
    I use Onedrive cloud storage and it has almost zero impact on my S22u battery life. My S22u is an absolute beast getting over 10hrs SOT and lightning fast. At home, I can xfer gigabytes of data in minutes on my network that is 500up/500down. I'm connected to my home wifi6 network wirh my S22u at anywhere from 1.2-2.4gbps depending on how close I'm to my router. Off my home network I get excellent mobile data transfer rates thanks to 5G (which does not cause a big hit on my battery life with T-Mobile in the DFW area). I have almost 500gig on Onedrive.

I've had many of the old Notes with an SD card slot which I kept my life saved on. No more as with todays cloud storage solutions, my exposure is much less and my life is much easier. Embracing the new cloud technologies, wifi6 and 5G has been a much better path for me. Hence, I can certainly understand why Samsung did away with the the SD card slot.
    Yeah cloud storage is certainly working well for the Samsung hackersšŸ¤£
    Nearly 5hrs sot, charging to 85% dropping to only 40% on WiFi with all services on, 1080p at 120hz... exynos
    23.3%+27.2%=50.5%

That means over 50% of people who responded to this poll is getting better or the same battery life as the S21 Ultra.