[HOWTO] All-in-one solution for Ubuntu 10.10 Linux on Android

dodgejcr

Aug 17, 2010
Hot Springs
CRC error...

Any chance I could get some MD5 sums on the working archives?
This is working fine on my Evo Shift and here are the md5's of the archives I used. Since it is a few rather large downloads, it would be a good idea for the OP to put these in the post. We all know how sometimes downloads can be corrupted

b243ded14a3e7d96c12a752c1480e9f8 ubuntu.zip.001
e01f7934478062172a4c7a0a4a376b92 ubuntu.zip.002
76d69b740bfb2ddb9c0d26abca969b89 ubuntu.zip.003
567c842b8a9433535665353a26368338 ubuntu.zip.004

Hope this helps someone that was wondering :D

Last edited:

joeybarclay

Apr 2, 2011
I got this to work but it never shows anything past "this may take some time"
I have to guess when ubuntu is up and running and I haven't been able to get it to work since. How long does it take for ubuntu to start? the first time I waited a half and hour and it worked but now I have tried doing 15 minutes but it still wont work.

Freija

Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I have a similar problem. I'm running SpeedMod with the tweaks enabled, SU and BB... stuck on the "Please wait while booting ubuntu.img. This can take some time..." dialog.
How long should it take to boot?
NM. It was actually running.

dodgejcr

Aug 17, 2010
Hot Springs
Mine actually does that as well. Its running almost instantly after tho. I have had a problem with shutting it down tho. Cant exit or anything from the terminal thus stopping the process. Even after I disconnect from the host, I can still VNC into active session. Simple reboot stops it but I wonder if it is something with my setup

joeybarclay

Apr 2, 2011
I have a similar problem. I'm running SpeedMod with the tweaks enabled, SU and BB... stuck on the "Please wait while booting ubuntu.img. This can take some time..." dialog.
How long should it take to boot?
NM. It was actually running.
How long did it take to boot? Mine seems like it takes around 30 minutes

joeybarclay

Apr 2, 2011
I had to use the terminal in this app to get it working https ://market.android.com/details?id=com.webkey&feature=search_result

Last edited:

Infinimint

Oct 8, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
twitter.com
For anyone wondering, this is crazy easy...

Preinstallation:
1) Download all the files from here: http://goo.gl/bltOF. (Please add to OP as a mirror)
2) Put them into a folder called "ubuntu".
3) Plug your phone in and mount USB.
4) Drag and drop the whole folder onto your sdcard.
5) Open the Android Market and download these apps:
Android Terminal Emulator by Jack Palevich

Links: Device | Desktop

android-vnc-viewer by androidVNC team + antlersoft

Links: Device | Desktop
Installation:
1) Open "Android Terminal Emulator"
2) Type in the following commands in order:
Code:
$ su
# cd /sdcard/ubuntu
# sh ubuntu.sh
3) Ignore the message and press the home button.
4) Open androidVNC and enter these settings:
Nickname:
Password: ubuntu
Address: localhost
Port: 5900
Color Format: 24-bit color (4 bpp)
5) Press "connect".
6) If it did not connect, wait 5 minutes and try again.
7) Once connected, press the MENU button.
8) Press "Input Mode" and select "Touchpad"
9) Enjoy!
10) When you want to exit entirely, open up Android Terminal Emulator (yes, there will still be text everywhere) and enter the command:
Code:
exit

Everytime after doing this the first time, Ubuntu will boot in seconds (literally, faster than I could find my androidVNC app ;P ).

Last edited:

bernabap

Jul 25, 2009
I get it to work on my phone but when I try to exit chroot I got an error:

"umount: can't forcibly umount /data/local/mnt/proc: Device or resource busy"

It works nicelly though! But I dont know how unmount /data/local/mnt/proc, only rebooting.

I was just wondering if anyone know what was in use causing the resource busy message or how can I determine the problem?

Thanks

I got an Desire if does it matter and took out the lines referencing the external_sd from ubuntu.sh.

Last edited:

Infinimint

Oct 8, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
twitter.com
I get it to work on my phone but when I try to exit chroot I got an error:

"umount: can't forcibly umount /data/local/mnt/proc: Device or resource busy"

It works nicelly though! But I dont know how unmount /data/local/mnt/proc, only rebooting.

I was just wondering if anyone know what was in use causing the resource busy message or how can I determine the problem?

Thanks

I got an Desire if does it matter and took out the lines referencing the external_sd from ubuntu.sh.
Try rebooting and see if that fixes it.

stevie-c

Apr 26, 2007
can someone who tried this check if the ubuntu has access to hardware devices. Does it have sound?

If it did it might be worth trying to run a full mythtv frontend on the phone :)

tku137

Nov 22, 2009
I've done everything as explained. Put image and script on sdcard, tried to run it with better terminal emu and remoteVNC pro, all I got was same like

hi, i have a problem.
i use terminal emulator from the galaxy s, i do this step:- Place ubuntu.sh and ubuntu.img in the same directory in your SD storage.
- Enter a terminal and enter 'su' to become a superuser (root).
- Navigate to the directory where you placed the files (e.g. "cd /sdcard/external_sd/ubuntu").
- Execute the script by typing "sh ubuntu.sh".
when i execute the script it is:
"Exiting chroot environment and sync'ing memory to storage.."
DO NOT EXIT until finished - doing so may corrupt the ubuntu.img!"
#
so now what i have to do?
the androidvcn say me:vcn connection failed!
localhost/127.0.0.1:5900 -connection refused
So I read through this thread and came across some aspects. I Flashed speedmod K13D, enabled the noatime tweak, installed the mentioned apps Android Terminal Emulator and androidVNC, even tried to reinstall busybox, but its always the same.

Is there another thing I forgot, or am I just an unlucky guy?

Last edited:

aaopt

Feb 27, 2011
Pawtucket, RI
The post mentions HID keyboards. I assume that will only work if it's already working in android? Or can Ubuntu's Bluetooth stack work anyway?

Sent from my LG-P509 using XDA App

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
if you get that "this may take some time" message it most likely means it's already running.
you don't get any specific messages saying it started, you just need to exit the terminal app through the home button and launch a vnc client.

caleb220

Jan 6, 2011
For anyone wondering, this is crazy easy...

Preinstallation:
1) Download all the files from here: http://goo.gl/bltOF (Still Uploading... 81.1%...).
2) Put them into a folder called "ubuntu".
3) Plug your phone in and mount USB.
4) Drag and drop the whole folder onto your sdcard.
5) Open the Android Market and download these apps:

Installation:
1) Open "Android Terminal Emulator"
2) Type in the following commands in order:
Code:
$ su
# cd /sdcard/ubuntu
# sh ubuntu.sh
3) Ignore the message and press the home button.
4) Open androidVNC and enter these settings:

5) Press "connect".
6) If it did not connect, wait 5 minutes and try again.
7) Once connected, press the MENU button.
8) Press "Input Mode" and select "Touchpad"
9) Enjoy!
10) When you want to exit entirely, open up Android Terminal Emulator (yes, there will still be text everywhere) and enter the command:
Code:
exit

Everytime after doing this the first time, Ubuntu will boot in seconds (literally, faster than I could find my androidVNC app ;P ).
You sir, are my hero! I couldn't get those files to work for the life of me until you gave me these AMAZING links. Downloading right now, I hope to get this running today. Thank you so much. :)