[HOWTO] Assign other buttons to show unlock screen

Search This thread

pina_

Mar 5, 2010
Hey guys, has anyone succeeded making the Menu button to unlock the device? So far I can wake the device using the menu button and I can wake and unlock it using the optical trackball, but I want to have menu-to-unlock cause it's easier to press (I'm not afraid of accidental unlocking).

errrm... ever tried to read the first post...?

debos1

Dec 25, 2010
I'm very sorry to ask this here but I've rooted my phone for the sole purpose of changing the awkward & nasty power button unlock, how do I apply any of these zips please.

I'm also here as a newbie, and if someone could please help me with the issue of how to apply the update.zip

( http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6588836&postcount=22 )

to make the phone unlock for example with the menu button.
I did not root the phone yet or anything else..

I would really appreciate your help. Thank you!

Regards,

Marko

ippoglosso

May 28, 2007
Inspired by the work done to change the wakebuttons I did some research if its possible to remap unlock from menu to another button... with success :)

If you flash the attached zip unlocking can be done by pressing the back button if the lockscreen is visible - menu no longer unlocks, but still can wake.

I modified HtcLockScreen.apk taken from MoDaCo Custom r3.1 for Desire - so this might or might not work on non-MoDaCo ROMs, it definately works on my Desire with r3.1

I might try to fully disable the unlock button later.

edit: there it is - unlock-disabled.zip :D if you flash this you can still wake your Desire but no longer unlock it with a key (e.g. default - menu key)

Maybe I did not understand, with this zip you create a button on the home screen to activate the LockScreen?

I can install from ClockworkMod Recovery

Thanks for the reply

Ippo

cmavr8

Jun 9, 2005
Errrrmm... I did, but it doesn't work on Froyo. I also tried putting WAKE_DROPPED for the MENU key in curcial-oj.kl but still doesn't unlock the device - it only wakes it up. I'm running the LeeDroid 2.2f ROM which already has dpad-to-unlock.

Same here, still having this problem..

Any solution anyone?

cescof

Oct 4, 2005
Cesena
hy i'm trying here to solve my problem... My desire it's crazy now cause many hardware keys are done (maybe rain...) So vol-, menu and trackball are gone..
The problem is that every boot i've safe mode maybe because menu key fault and give always imput on....
So my question is for a solution maybe trying to disabel hardware key menu???
Any suggest (excluding rma)
Regards

XConvict

May 31, 2011
in the North ;)
People is there anyway that i can DISABLE the optical trackpad from unlocking my phone?
I use RCmix 2.0 rom at the moment.
It keeps unlocking and take pictures when i'm carrying the phone around at work. :(

Thnxs in advance for your replys!

[SOLVED]

Last edited:

faz1964

Nov 15, 2010
Blank screen when unlocking

Hi

I am using the latest Gingervillain Rom but when I try to wake my HTC Desire my screen blanks out and is unusable for a few seconds.

Has anyone else experienced this and foud a cure :confused:

Many thanks

RealyPssd

Jun 16, 2010
Toronto
Thanks for the guide, I was wondering if there was a way to change the button.

Someone told me that N1's power buttons were breaking down after a while? Wasn't sure if it affected Desires as well.

copecu

Jan 28, 2011
Hello,

¿I can change the power button to turn off only, but that does not turn on the screen?

Thank you. Greetings.

ovicornea

Sep 12, 2009
Sighetu Marmatiei
Has anyone already found a way to display the lockscreen using another button then the power on/off button? I can't get used to the new unlocking method. On my Hero, I just had to press a button to see the lockscreen and I even could press a button twice to unlock it.

I guess it should be possible with rooted phones? But I don't know how ofc...

Solution:

You need to edit the file bravo-keypad.kl in /system/usr/keylayout
Open the file in a text editor, you'll see something like this:

Code:
key 102   HOME
key 139   MENU              
key 158   BACK
key 217   SEARCH

key 107   ENDCALL           WAKE_DROPPED
key 116   POWER             WAKE_DROPPED

key 115   VOLUME_UP         WAKE
key 114   VOLUME_DOWN       WAKE

You'll have to put the string 'WAKE_DROPPED' behind the button you wish to use to unlock. It has been set on POWER and ENDCALL by default.

You need to pull the file first via recovery, edit it, then push it back to your phone. You can only do this via the recovery, not via programs like Root Explorer!

Go into recovery, then type in the following commands:

Windows:
  • adb-nilezon shell mount /system
  • adb-nilezon pull /system/usr/keylayout/bravo-keypad.kl c:\
  • edit bravo-keypad.kl to your liking
  • adb-nilezon push c:\bravo-keypad.kl /system/usr/keylayout/bravo-keypad.kl
  • adb-nilezon shell reboot

Mac:
  • ./adb-mac shell mount /system
  • ./adb-mac pull /system/usr/keylayout/bravo-keypad.kl
  • edit bravo-keypad.kl to your liking
  • ./adb-mac push bravo-keypad.kl /system/usr/keylayout/bravo-keypad.kl
  • ./adb-mac shell reboot

many thanks to RedDragCZ and ritdaw! :D

Man, I love you, I've been looking for a way to turn screen on using other hardware button for ages. I'm using HTC Legend, so the file is legend-keypad.kl; I'm assuming every model has its own name.

Also, if you have Root Explorer installed, you can navigate to the file, mount it in R/W then open it in text editor and edit it and save it right on your phone. After that, just a reboot and voila!!! Just my 2 cents.

Again, thanks for the great tip!

I realized, though, that after a while, the trick doesn't work anymore. I think the buttons are put to sleep or something and they do not wake up the device any longer. Any tips to solve that?

Last edited:

asle18

Dec 21, 2011
I tried this method but it still didn't work. I was previously using no lock and that worked fine until I upgraded to 2.3. Now no lock and widgetlocker won't work. Is there anything I can do?

chelsea2005

Jan 26, 2012
tehran
Hello
How do I use my back button to return to the search button?
Button back later corrupted and not usable.
I mean, I changed the file bravo-keypad:D