[HOWTO] Change Google Earth disk cache size

Search This thread

HomerSp

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 5, 2010
Stockholm
Hi everyone, I've seen a couple of requests on how to increase (or change) the max disk cache size. So I made it my mission to try and find out how to change it.
I've spent a couple of hours on it now and finally managed to figure out how to fix it :)

You'll either need adb or a simple file manager with a text editor. But before you do that kill Google Earth through Manage Applications or using a task manager. Once that's done either pull or edit /data/data/com.google.earth/drivers.ini.

When you've done that add the following to the end of the file before the ending bracket (so within SETTINGS).
Code:
DiskCache/cacheSize = 2000
DiskCache/minCacheSize = 0
DiskCache/cacheSizeOnDiskInMB = 2000
(Change 2000 to whatever size in MB you want).

Now simply push the file or save if you're using a file manager.

Good luck, and let me know if you run into any problems! :D

lagoausente

May 29, 2008
Have aplied Z4root to the Galaxy, installed eFile but can´t see drivers.ini anywhere.
sdcard/data/data there is only a folder called com.ideaworks3d.tackle
The only place where is com.google.earth is in: sdcard/android/data/com.google.earth/
inside this, there I found only cache folder, temp folder, and a hidden .nomedia file. :confused:

lagoausente

May 29, 2008
Works!!! I could see the file with "root explorer". Edited and now limit is gone :D
Awesome. The Galaxy is amazing with GE with the onboard compass and multi-touch gestures response. Caching a zone conected to your wifi allows you to use GE offline on traveling, or climbing mountains. The compass auto-rotates the maps and the acelerometer controls the tilt. There are videos in youtube, I think I´ll upload another one. Thanks very much. :)

lagoausente

May 29, 2008
Just a note, if set the cache above 2000, GE resets the cache file and uses only 35KB on my phone, so no work. At 2000 (2GB) it works fine, I have more than 500MB now. In the other hand seems to me that Android version uses less amount of data so 2GB seems enough to cover a big area.

Earthboundz

Jan 15, 2019
Hi everyone, I've seen a couple of requests on how to increase (or change) the max disk cache size. So I made it my mission to try and find out how to change it.
I've spent a couple of hours on it now and finally managed to figure out how to fix it :)

You'll either need adb or a simple file manager with a text editor. But before you do that kill Google Earth through Manage Applications or using a task manager. Once that's done either pull or edit /data/data/com.google.earth/drivers.ini.

When you've done that add the following to the end of the file before the ending bracket (so within SETTINGS).
Code:

I realize this is a old topic but does this still work? I would like to increase the cache size on the desktop version of GE version 7.3.1.4507 (64-bit) and newer.

I found the drivers.ini file in Program Files/Google/Google Earth Pro/client/drivers.ini but I am not sure where to enter your code in the drivers.ini file, I will assume the ini file has changed over the years.

Code:

Thanks in advance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone