[HOWTO] Chromecast Mirroring (screen mirroring)

Search This thread

the_mentor

Jul 11, 2010
Hello everyone,
So I got my Google Chromecast today and after a bit of messing around I found this cool neat feature that allows you to mirror your entire display to the chromecast device.

This is how you do it.

1) In Google chrome browser on your computer click the Google cast extension and then click the little arrow in the extension and select "cast entire screen (experimental) I've attached a screenshot.

screencast_mirroring.JPG

2) after completing step one select your chromecast device and walla you see your screen on your TV ;)

This seems to be an experimental feature so let me know how it works for you, so far I've tested it on my Linux Mint 15 laptop and it works nicely there is a minor delay but at least its something ;)

Last edited:

Echodawg

Jun 18, 2010
Boston
How good is the screen mirroring? If it works well with no lag, I may use this to cast some PC games to the TV!

Have yet to try a game but there is definitely lag, (~ a half a second?) just scrolling the web page but audio is good, video is good, and the audio/video sync seems to be fine.

Right now I'm casting Google Play Music from my average, 1 year old, Toshiba laptop, to my cheap-ass, Insignia TV, listening to Taj Mahal tear-up the guitar.

Life Is Good!

the_mentor

Jul 11, 2010
There is a half a sec up to 2 sec lag so I don't think it's suitable for gaming unless someone finds a way to lower the lag somehow.
Also I use the stable version of chrome on Linux and it works so I don't know maybe for windows the beta version of chrome is needed.
The biggest down side for me is that audio is not working in the desktop cast mode :(

Tower1972

Mar 13, 2008
Somewhere in Wisconsin
Well when I use Netflix off my phone there is a real slight delay and it takes a few seconds after that for the proper resolution to kick in.. So if your game is lag dependant like a shooter etc.. I would be hesitant

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,
    So I got my Google Chromecast today and after a bit of messing around I found this cool neat feature that allows you to mirror your entire display to the chromecast device.

This is how you do it.

1) In Google chrome browser on your computer click the Google cast extension and then click the little arrow in the extension and select "cast entire screen (experimental) I've attached a screenshot.

screencast_mirroring.JPG

2) after completing step one select your chromecast device and walla you see your screen on your TV ;)

This seems to be an experimental feature so let me know how it works for you, so far I've tested it on my Linux Mint 15 laptop and it works nicely there is a minor delay but at least its something ;)
    FYI: Need Chrome Beta for this to show.
    Chrome beta allows you to shoot to your tv? I am looking for the option but dont see it !

Do you see the arrow in the upper right corner when you press the chromecast button in chrome?
    Good point I don't know why I never tested this. Laptop does exact same thing when wireless is disabled and it is connected via ethernet.

Could it just be my router doesn't support tab casting for whatever reason? Router is a Cisco DPC3825.
    I found a disappointing report about other services not making it through the wired/wireless boundary...

There was a mention about the IGMP proxy setting, but I didn't see it mentioned in your modem/router's manual or its product page.
    Worth digging around in case it's there, though.

If the situation described is not a bug, it's a poopy situation that sounds like the wireless-wired bridging is not complete, or worse.

If that's the case and you can't get/try a different modem from your ISP (or use your own, if that is allowed), then the alternative would be to disable the built-in wireless and attach a separate wireless access point.

If you have a wireless router and not a wireless access point, you can disable the DHCP server on the wireless router, and connect a cable from its LAN port to a LAN port on your modem/router. Don't forget to check/change the LAN IP of the wireless router so it doesn't conflict with your modem/router's LAN address (and on the same subnet so you can still access it), and not in your modem/router's DHCP assignment pool. Functionally the wireless router would then act like an access point.