[HOWTO] Comprehensive Automated Free VoIP with Google Voice

Search This thread

errorcod3

Nov 2, 2012
Have you found an automated airplane mode toggler that works with JB? I understand AutoAir is not compatible.

First, I do get notified if I send a text to my carrier number -- but, I ONLY use Google Voice Number. So it must be a JB issue, I'll give GoSMS a "Go" -- or just go back to GV app.

I'm currently fiddling with llama to get the Airplane toggle to work, the device needs to be rooted.. I'll report back with setup info once I get it up and running. Here's the link:

kebabapps dot blogspot dot com (sorry can't post links yet)

errorcod3

Nov 2, 2012
N4 - Airplane Toggle Working

Ok, so I got airplane toggle to work (I'm using a N4 on 4.2.1) .. but it is was a bit of a task. Here is basically what I did, I can add more detail if needed.

1) unlocked bootloader and rooted device. There is a how-to in the N4 section of this forum

2) Installed Tasker, BusyBox, Secure Settings, and Secure Settings Helper (from within Secure Settings App)

Basically, secure settings allows tasker to access the toggles that it couldn't before you were rooted.

3) Setup Tasker to automatically toggle airplane mode when connected to wifi. There is a tutorial that covers this called "[GUIDE] Smartphone Service for just $30/month" on this forum. (Sorry I can't link anything too new)

You will have to adjust the Tasker settings slightly to incorporate secure settings. Basically, you'll pick plugins/secure settings on the relevant commands. Then it was all set and working! As soon as I leave my wifi area, my phone toggles itself back on out of airplane mode and sipdroid shuts down!

ziddey

Aug 26, 2007
Nice. Good to know Tasker still works. I've been trying to stick to free apps where possible for the guide, although Tasker is absolutely worth it in my opinion, especially if you can find additional uses for it.

sporez

May 27, 2012
Thanks for the tutorial! Some great info here! I'm trying to get an optimal Google voice voip setup here and was always annoyed by the huge lag in Groove IP. I'm having a problem where when using this setup with sipdroid the other person's audio is very choppy. It breaks up every few seconds. My audio is perfectly clear however. I'm testing this on my home wifi which is 15/1 mbps connection so I know it's not that. Any ideas?

mastarifla

Oct 3, 2010
Dallas, TX
Ok, so I got airplane toggle to work (I'm using a N4 on 4.2.1) .. but it is was a bit of a task. Here is basically what I did, I can add more detail if needed.

1) unlocked bootloader and rooted device. There is a how-to in the N4 section of this forum

2) Installed Tasker, BusyBox, Secure Settings, and Secure Settings Helper (from within Secure Settings App)

Basically, secure settings allows tasker to access the toggles that it couldn't before you were rooted.

3) Setup Tasker to automatically toggle airplane mode when connected to wifi. There is a tutorial that covers this called "[GUIDE] Smartphone Service for just $30/month" on this forum. (Sorry I can't link anything too new)

You will have to adjust the Tasker settings slightly to incorporate secure settings. Basically, you'll pick plugins/secure settings on the relevant commands. Then it was all set and working! As soon as I leave my wifi area, my phone toggles itself back on out of airplane mode and sipdroid shuts down!

Here is the link to the topic for anyone who is wondering

Here is how I set it up on a 4.2.1 phone

Follow the instructions on the page and do the following instead of what it says in the guide

3) "+ > Plugin > Secure Settings" instead of (Net --> Airplane Radio)
then hit edit, first select Airplane Mode Radios under helper options,
then check the boxes cell and bluetooth, hit ok and save it.

5) "+ > Plugin > Secure Settings" instead of (Net --> Airplane Mode)
then hit edit, first select Airplane Mode under helper options,
then select the on , hit ok and save it

csaket

Oct 28, 2012
I followed this guide for my TMobile S3 and everything seems to be fine except I cant make/receive calls.
Sipdroid shows a green dot, settings on pbxes look to be correct.

When I make a call, I get a message "your call cant be completed as dialed please try your call again later."
When I try to call my GV number, it just keeps ringing and finally goes to GV voicemail.

I tried this over both WIFI and 3G.

Any help would be appreciated.

tenet420

Jan 7, 2011
I followed this guide for my TMobile S3 and everything seems to be fine except I cant make/receive calls.

When I make a call, I get a message "your call cant be completed as dialed please try your call again later."
When I try to call my GV number, it just keeps ringing and finally goes to GV voicemail.

All new trunks connecting to Google Voice for the first time (or renewing) are now blocked on connection. What you need to do is open GoogleVoice in a computer browser window and try yo use your sipdroid phone to make a call. You should get a red bar or pop-up (some kind of warning) about a suspicious attempt to log in to your account. You then need to tell Google it was ok and Google will tell you that you need to sign in with the account again in 10 minutes to authorize it. Make another call with sipdroid and Google will allow the trunk between pbxes and Voice. You might have to make a few calls both times.

Sent from my Droid using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: csaket and sethlo

ziddey

Aug 26, 2007
I'm temporarily not recommending use of GV SMS Integration. I must have missed it, but didn't see any mention of the free version being a trial. After a few texts, it now displays a "trial over" message with an option to buy or cancel. Everything still seems to work the same, but the message pops up on every incoming GV text.

Also, it looks like it doesn't support most JB builds currently.

Further (AND A HUGE POTENTIAL WARNING), it looks like it may delete all your messages when you unintegrate it. It didn't matter to me since I use GV for SMS, but I did lose all my messages from TMO about my account and a few other spam messages.

That alone would be reason enough to no longer recommend it. I'm thinking that may not always happen? I'd imagine someone else would have reported it by now. Or maybe I missed that too.

sporez

May 27, 2012
Hmm I've played around with gv sms integrator and enabled/disabled and never had it delete any texts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

sethlo

Jul 13, 2007
All new trunks connecting to Google Voice for the first time (or renewing) are now blocked on connection. What you meed to do is open Gmail in a computer browser window and try yo use your sipdroid phone to make a call. You should get a red bar or pop-up (some kind of warning) about a suspicious attempt to log in to your account. You then need to tell Google it was ok and Google will tell you that you need to sign in with the account again in 10 minutes to authorize it. Make another call with sipdroid and Google will allow the trunk between pbxes and Voice. You might have to make a few calls both times.

This worked for me, and but I got the red bar in Google voice on desktop browser, not Gmail.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Reactions: tenet420

acegolfer

Jun 2, 2008
Since I got my N4 30 days ago, I have been using OP's setup: GV+pbxes+sipdroid (w/ speex) with great success.

I found a minor issue with this setup. When sipdroid rings while the screen is locked, I must unlock before I can answer with sipdroid. To make it worse, once the mobile phone (Tmo #) rings (a few seconds after sipdroid started rining), then it requires another step before I can answer the siprdoid.

So I played with csipsimple (nightly) and found 3 advantages over sipdroid.

1. it doesn't require unlocking the screen when it rings (same behavior as native phone).
2. better echo canceling
3. can use iLBC codec, which is said to be superb on 3g.

I'll experiment more and report back. csipsimple is said to have issues with keeping registration alive and battery life.

ziddey

Aug 26, 2007
Nice. I didn't recommend csipsimple initially since it resulted in an infinite loop when used with the Google Voice app. I've since read that it may be addressed / there may be a workaround.

acegolfer

Jun 2, 2008
Nice. I didn't recommend csipsimple initially since it resulted in an infinite loop when used with the Google Voice app. I've since read that it may be addressed / there may be a workaround.

There is a loop but not infinite. To get rid of the loop, one can setup filters. No more selection window, when placing a call.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

acegolfer

Jun 2, 2008
Since I got my N4 30 days ago, I have been using OP's setup: GV+pbxes+sipdroid (w/ speex) with great success.

I found a minor issue with this setup. When sipdroid rings while the screen is locked, I must unlock before I can answer with sipdroid. To make it worse, once the mobile phone (Tmo #) rings (a few seconds after sipdroid started rining), then it requires another step before I can answer the siprdoid.

So I played with csipsimple (nightly) and found 3 advantages over sipdroid.

1. it doesn't require unlocking the screen when it rings (same behavior as native phone).
2. better echo canceling
3. can use iLBC codec, which is said to be superb on 3g.

I'll experiment more and report back. csipsimple is said to have issues with keeping registration alive and battery life.

Just hit a road block with iLBC codec.

Everything works fine except for incoming GV calls. I can answer the call but there's no sound in/out. Somebody already reported this issue. https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/csipsimple-users/ZvuV0S37Bnw

A weird thing is if a SIP call is coming in directly (instead of GV forwarding), then there's sound. In addition, if I make a phone call using gtalk trunk, there's also sound.

There must be some issue with incoming gtalk trunk using iLBC codec.

Another minor issue: When GV call comes in, csipsimple rings first then mobile phone rings next. The latter occupies the screen. So to answer csipsimple, I first have to close the phone app UI.

acegolfer

Jun 2, 2008
Found a very good solution:

GV + callcentric + pbxes + csipsimple (w/ iLBC)

benefits:
completely free for making and receiving calls
good battery life (similar to sipdroid TCP connection)
great call quality on 3g using iLBC codec (better than speex)

Assuming you have followed OP's instruction on GV/pbxes/sipdroid, here's what you need.

1. Get a free DID (phone #) from callcentric.com, which supports iLBC codec.
2. From your pbxes account, create a callcentric trunk. Allow "bypass audio" both at trunk and extensions. Pbxes will intercept any calls to callcentric and ring your phones. Do not delete gtalk trunk because you will need it for free outbound calls.
3. From csipsimple media settings, select iLBC as the only codec for 3g. Select PCMU and PCMA for wifi. Select echo cancel if your device (such as N4) suffers from echo.
4. From csipsimple, add pbxes account. Do not add callcentric which is already registered from pbxes. pbxes is necessary to capitalize free gtalk outgoing calls.
5. From GV webpage, add callcentric # and uncheck google chat (we don't want pbxes to receive 2 incoming calls). I even unchecked mobile # because this setup is so good.

I've tested this setup on several scenarios and found csipsimple (w/ iLBC) offers better call quality than sipdroid (w/ speex).

Reactions: post-mortem

plee3

Dec 8, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4

benefits:

Assuming you have followed OP's instruction on GV/pbxes/sipdroid, here's what you need.

2. From your pbxes account, create a callcentric trunk. Allow "bypass audio" both at trunk and extensions. Pbxes will intercept any calls to callcentric and ring your phones. Do not delete gtalk trunk because you will need it for free outbound calls.
3. From csipsimple media settings, select iLBC as the only codec for 3g. Select PCMU and PCMA for wifi. Select echo cancel if your device (such as N4) suffers from echo.
4. From csipsimple, add pbxes account. Do not add callcentric which is already registered from pbxes. pbxes is necessary to capitalize free gtalk outgoing calls.
5. From GV webpage, add callcentric # and uncheck google chat (we don't want pbxes to receive 2 incoming calls). I even unchecked mobile # because this setup is so good.

I've tested this setup on several scenarios and found csipsimple (w/ iLBC) offers better call quality than sipdroid (w/ speex).

This sounds great. Could you elaborate more on step 2 on how to setup the new trunk on pbxes.org?

Thanks very much for any help that you can provide!

plee3

lanbladez

Aug 22, 2012
yep same issue, gvoice installed, endless cycle when trying to select phone instead of sip.

To get around had to disable integrate with android,
and in User Interface to set "Integrate privileged intent" and make sure the above option is disabled.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Preface

This guide only deals with VoIP calling over wifi. You can experiment with calling over a data connection as well; just make sure to use only the speex or GSM codecs. I have had pretty good success with VoHSPA calls with T-Mobile. However, this would require manually switching call forwarding to the cell number on and off. I am looking into creating an app to automate this (as well as combine features of all the accessory apps used in this guide). However, I have limited programming experience and no Android experience yet, so it's a long term project.

Apps

Sipdroid
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sipdroid.sipua

Google Voice
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.googlevoice

Y5 - Battery Saver
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.polidea.y5

Plane Mode Tweaker
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wordpress.chislonchow.airplanemodetweak

AutoAir
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=Com.YangSoft.AutoAir

GV SMS Integration Free
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mdrtools.apps.gvintegration.free

Guide

Free VoIP is a great addition to plans with low airtime minutes, such as T-Mobile's contract-free $30 100 minute, 5GB 4G plan. An activation kit can be purchased for $0.99 shipped from http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/T-Mobile-Prepaid-SIM-Activation-Kit.

This guide assumes that your primary number is with Google Voice, http://www.google.com/voice. You can port your number from one of the major carriers (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint) to Google Voice for $20. Do note that porting your number will terminate service with your provider, and you will be responsible for any ETF. If your number is currently with an MVNO or other carrier, you should be able to use a prepaid T-Mobile account as the middleman. Simply pick up an extra kit (if you will be using the T-Mobile $30 plan) to use for the number porting. Kits come with an initial value of $3.34, more than enough for the process.

If you are not attached to your current number enough to spend the $20 port fee, you can pick a new number when signing up for Google Voice. You can specify desired characters or numbers, and it will attempt to find a match.

Once you have created an account, add your cell number and enable call forwarding from your Google Voice number. Most prepaid accounts, including the $30 T-Mobile one, do not allow call forwarding, so you will not be able to "Activate Google voicemail on this phone." However, this shouldn't be an issue since people shouldn't be calling your cell number directly anyway.

Also enable call forwarding to Google chat. This is critical for receiving VoIP calls. It may be necessary to first place a call within GMail to ensure that Google chat calling works as it should.

Now it's time to download and setup the apps listed above.

Sipdroid

When first starting Sipdroid, you will find a button on the bottom of the screen to create a new account with PBXes.com linked to your Google Voice account. Use the same password as used with your Google Voice account. After signing up with Sipdroid, you have a week or so to login to the pbxes.com website and fill out some personal information. This must be completed, or your account will be deleted.

As far as configuring Sipdroid itself, you may want to go into Audio/Video and adjust Earpiece Gain to Highest. Adjust as necessary if echo is a problem.

Under Audio Codecs, set G722, PCMA, PCMU, GSM, and BV16 to Never. Speex is the only codec we want to use due to its ability to compensate for packet loss and jitter and its low bandwidth consumption. However, it can be quite CPU intensive, and if you have a slower phone, GSM may be a better option. Experiment with the two and find what works best for you. Snapdragon and faster CPUs will have no problems with speex.

Under Wireless, you can experiment with the Control Wi-Fi Power option. It may save you some battery life, but disable it if it cause otherwise slow wifi or disconnects. If not using this setting, you will need to set Android to keep the wireless connection on all the time. You can access this from Android's Wi-Fi settings page, where it lists the wireless connections. Hit the menu button and choose Advanced. Change Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep to Always.

Enable Bluetooh (experimental) if you will be using a bluetooth headset to make VoIP calls.

Finally, in PBXes Features, enable Improve Audio. In the event packet loss / jitter is detected, all data will be transmitted/received twice, effectively decreasing packet loss considerably (ideally).

Google Voice

Setup should be fairly straight forward. You may run into issues setting up call forwarding for voicemail, but this shouldn't be an issue. Set it to Use Google Voice to make all calls. This way, all non-VoIP outgoing calls will still have your Google Voice caller id.

This will also be the app you use for text messaging. Unfortunately, Google Voice is still working on implementing MMS. As of now, receiving MMS messages from certain providers is functional, although they will be sent to your email.

Y5 - Battery Saver

This app remembers wifi APs that you have associated with and switches wifi on when you are in the area. When out of area, it will be disable wifi. It requires both the cell radio and wireless to be connected to determine location. Therefore, airplane mode must not be enabled during this step.

The only setup required is to enable the app. It will then run in the background automatically.

Plane Mode Tweaker

Enabling airplane mode on most phones will disable the cell radio, wifi, and bluetooth. While in Airplane Mode, wifi is allowed to be re-enabled, while bluetooth usually is not. Make the appropriate changes with this app to prevent wifi/bt from turning off when entering airplane mode, and to allow wifi/bt.

AutoAir

AutoAir polls the wireless state in the background. When connected, it enables airplane mode; when the connection is lost, it disables airplane mode. Hit the power button in the app to enable initially. Set it to Start Service on system up and Start Service on application start up. To disable the icon in the notification bar, uncheck Show message on status bar. This serves to save battery by disabling the cell radio and to prevent double ringing, since Google Voice is forwarding to both your cell number and Sipdroid.

GV SMS Integration Free

While not related to VoIP, a lot of users would prefer the native SMS client over the GV app for text messages. Google Voice can forward texts, but it will obviously be encapsulated in a forwarded message from a shortcode instead of the actual sender's number. Not exactly clean by any means, but it is the only solution when in an area without data (i.e. roaming). Otherwise, this app will work alongside the GV app to offer seamless integration with the native SMS app (or GoSMS). You must enter your credentials in the app again for it to be able to send messages. Upon enabling integration, the phone will reboot. There looks to be three types of integration: standard, root user, and airplane mode. I've only used root user, which seems to work just fine in airplane mode.

Since I never use my cell number for texting, I have it set to send all text messages via Google Voice account. It does have the option to allow replying to texts from the number it was received from, which can be useful. There's some warning about hiding the notification bar, but I haven't had any issues yet.

Going after strictly GV SMS integration, and nothing else, I've disabled the send/receive text signatures, turning the screen on when there's a new notification, and showing popups when there's a new text.

Be sure to disable text notifications in the Google Voice app.

Do note the warning when you first enable integration-- if you decide to uninstall the app, DISABLE INTEGRATION FIRST.

That should be it! When you are home, the phone should automatically switch wifi on, connect to Google Voice (PBXes to be accurate), and enable airplane mode to disable the cell radio. Incoming calls should ring through Sipdroid. Outgoing calls are made through the native dialer as usual, and will be intercepted by Sipdroid.

When you leave home and lose wifi, airplane mode will be disabled, re-enabling the cell radio, and wifi should be disabled (saving battery by not constantly searching for APs). Inbound calls will be forward to your cell number, ringing through the native dialer. Calls made with the native dialer will dial through Google Voice (still uses airtime) and allow your Google Voice caller id to be shown.

Messaging is not a problem in airplane mode since you will be using the Google Voice app (and GV SMS Integration). The only downside is that a data connection is required for messaging while on the go. You can enable forwarding messages to your cell number if this is an issue.

Notes

It would have been nice to use the native SIP client, but it simply lacks too many features. Even over a strong wifi connection, a high(er) bandwidth codec like PCMA/PCMU may not be feasible, because of the lack of packet loss/jitter compensation. Many people prefer CSIPSimple over Sipdroid, but it does not play nicely with the Google Voice app, and does not support PBXes' proprietary features.

The main advantage of using the Sipdroid/PBXes combo over GrooVeIP is the ability to use speex/GSM codecs. GrooVeIP connects directly to Google Voice, which only supports PCMA/PCMU.

If you want to experiment with other SIP clients, do make sure to connect using TCP. UDP is a battery pig.

I've experimented with a few Android phones and have to say that some of the lower end ones are simply plagued with call quality issues, especially with regards to echo. Other issues may involve wifi quality with the screen off, so play with those settings as necessary.

Some phones have issues maintaining a wifi connection. Check for any ROMs that may address this issue. The plus side is that AutoAir will disable airplane mode if the wifi connection is lost, so there shouldn't be any missed calls. Specific to HTC Sense, there is a bug (feature) that causes the wifi connection to be dropped between midnight and 7am. The app SmartSync Disabler attempts to address this issue: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.j4n87.smartsyncdisabler.

I am using this setup with good success on an HTC Sensation running ICS. I'm at the end of my current billing period and haven't even used half of my allotted minutes. In comparison, I've clocked over 500 minutes over VoIP.

I hope this guide saves you some minutes and battery life.

All new trunks connecting to Google Voice for the first time (or renewing) are now blocked on connection. What you need to do is open GoogleVoice in a computer browser window and try yo use your sipdroid phone to make a call. You should get a red bar or pop-up (some kind of warning) about a suspicious attempt to log in to your account. You then need to tell Google it was ok and Google will tell you that you need to sign in with the account again in 10 minutes to authorize it. Make another call with sipdroid and Google will allow the trunk between pbxes and Voice. You might have to make a few calls both times.

It's fine for the most part. Speex has good provisions to handle mild packet loss and jitter. Over wireless, you should have no issues. I make a decent amount of calls over T-Mobile's HSPA as well, and I've found that as long as you aren't moving too quickly (in a car for example), call clarify / delay is completely fine.
    All new trunks connecting to Google Voice for the first time (or renewing) are now blocked on connection. What you meed to do is open Gmail in a computer browser window and try yo use your sipdroid phone to make a call. You should get a red bar or pop-up (some kind of warning) about a suspicious attempt to log in to your account. You then need to tell Google it was ok and Google will tell you that you need to sign in with the account again in 10 minutes to authorize it. Make another call with sipdroid and Google will allow the trunk between pbxes and Voice. You might have to make a few calls both times.

This worked for me, and but I got the red bar in Google voice on desktop browser, not Gmail.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

benefits: