[HOWTO] Converting your Retail Note 4 to a Developer Edition Note 4

Search This thread

shady79

Mar 24, 2006
Dirty Jersey
Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong, I get thru all the adb commands until the last one ./samsung_unlock_n4-2 and it says not found... and temp root worked, verified by root checker

shady79

Mar 24, 2006
Dirty Jersey
im pretty sure i just did that, tried again and still getting "not found" in adb. and the file you mean is the samsung_unlock_n4-2 correct?

so i finally figured it all out, although im not totally sure where i went wrong. I think it was either a typo in entering commands or a full sd card. After hours of trying and reading i got it straight and now have fully rooted, converted dev edition. I also scared the crap outta myself when trying to install cyan 13 and accidentally wiped my os but was able to recover from that as well. Thanks to all who helped!

Reactions: Rom-Addict

Yousri131

Feb 28, 2011
is work on note edeg

You did a great job for note 4 , i know that the no different between note 4 and note edge.
Can i run this command on note edge?
if you have a chance can you help us to do the same thing for note edge.
we need your help on this phone .
Thanks in advance

kapooranuj

Nov 17, 2012
New Delhi
Hi
Followed all instructions. Got developer mode. Flashed TWRP.
It was all fine till this point.
Installed SuperSu with TWRP.
Now after all this phone stuck in boot loop.
Removed battery & ExtSDcard.
Reinserted battery only (no sd card) - same problem - bootloop.
Wiped Cache and Dalvik cache. Removed and reinserted battery - still bootloop.

Please help, its driving me crazy.

Side issue: Formatted SD card in computer. It was 64gb card, even after formatting computer still reads it as 19 mb

kapooranuj

Nov 17, 2012
New Delhi
From the point where you are, recommend to press button right and volume down for 5 seconds a screen will appear select last option of USB then just access to your cell normally, gain temp root do the whole thing again and let the phone restarts take out SD card and gain root again, after last restart you should be able to flash in Odin TWRP, do it and then access to it... And flash emotion (otherwise you will get bootloop) then flash super su and presto you are root and with custom recovery... There are lots of guides... Try just to remember if you run into troubles the recovery way(volume up power on) and the boot option (volume down and power button) are your best friends

Enviado desde mi SM-N910V mediante Tapatalk
Hi followed a post that claimed to be complete and right after flashing twrp it was the turn for SuperSu thru recovery.
I'm now stuck on bootloop. First the the splash screen of Samsung galaxy note 4... powered by android, only difference , now there's an 'open' lock icon.
Then the Samsung logo and thereafter Verizon logo and then restart to go thru the same sequence over and over.
Pls help.
And what the heck is emotion? because I'm going thru several emotions right now!

EdrickMG

Jul 31, 2014
Hi followed a post that claimed to be complete and right after flashing twrp it was the turn for SuperSu thru recovery.
I'm now stuck on bootloop. First the the splash screen of Samsung galaxy note 4... powered by android, only difference , now there's an 'open' lock icon.
Then the Samsung logo and thereafter Verizon logo and then restart to go thru the same sequence over and over.
Pls help.
And what the heck is emotion? because I'm going thru several emotions right now!

You need to flash a kernel different from the regular one, there are two options Emotion kernel, multi system one... That's why you are in bootlop

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note5 using XDA Labs

Reactions: kapooranuj

tolymatev

Feb 27, 2011
Greenville
Pls help.

Flash this in recovery and it'll boot right up
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24415232478676428

Reactions: kapooranuj

mnw1989

Nov 24, 2013
amman, jordan
You rock buddy.
Thanks a ton. Booted right up as you said.
Just one question, can you point me in the right direction regarding that memory card issue that 64 gb still shows 16mb even after formatting thru windows
Clean it useing CMD
diskpart
List disk
Select disk x
X= your disk
Clean
Exit
Then go to disk management you will see it as unallocated pattation right click then create new partation

Sent from my SM-N915V using XDA-Developers mobile app

EdrickMG

Jul 31, 2014
Clean it useing CMD
diskpart
List disk
Select disk x
X= your disk
Clean
Exit
Then go to disk management you will see it as unallocated pattation right click then create new partation

Thanks for the walkthrough, 8GB wasted until now

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note5 using XDA Labs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide will walk you through the process of converting your Retail Note 4 to a Developer Edition Note 4. This means you have an unlocked boot loader and you are free to do what you wish with your device.

Requirements:
    1. Retail Note 4 (Verizon)
    2. Computer (PC, Linux or Window)
    3. USB Cable
    4. Samsung USB Drivers (If you are on Windows)
    5. SD Card (Recommend a small one that you do not mind storing away for later)
    6. ADB (Android Debug Bridge)
    7. Root (Either Temp or Perm, that will not be explained here)
    8. Samsung Unlock file (Creators Thread)

Steps:

- Verify you have an ADB connection to your device and you have root.
    Connect your phone and launch ADB in either command prompt or terminal (Depending on your OS).
    Type the following command to view the currently connected devices:
    Code:
    adb devices
    You should see a list of devices. If not, verify USB Debug Mode is enabled on your phone.

-Copying the unlock file to your phone
    After you have downloaded the file from ryanbg's thread (samsung_unlock_n4-2) we need to copy it to the device. You will want to make sure your current directory is the directory that the file you downloaded is in.
    Time to push the file to the phone, run the below command:
    Code:
    adb push samsung_unlock_n4-2 /data/local/tmp/

-Connect to your phone
    Type the following command:
    Code:
    adb shell
    You are now in in a shell through ADB on your phone.
    Elevate your permissions by entering:
    Code:
    su
    You may get a confirmation on your phone for requesting root access. Be sure to grant ADB permission.

-Change Directory
    Go to the directory we copied our files to
    Code:
    cd /data/local/tmp/

-CHMOD and CHOWN the unlock file
    This allows us to actually execute the file. Execute the below commands
    Code:
    chmod 777 samsung_unlock_n4-2
    Code:
    chown root.root samsung_unlock_n4-2

-Time to execute
    Running the below command will generate a warning and a requirement to enter yes or no. Read the warning carefully before continuing:
    Code:
    ./samsung_unlock_n4-2

At this point you will see a few thing similar to this:
    Code:
    [+] CID at boot time is/was: 1501xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    [+] device not yet dev CID, now changing to dev CID
    [+] programming new CID 150100523231384d4100657e54fc1200
    [+] success! powering off device, power back on and verify CID
    [+] then run this binary again to finish the process

As binary states, your phone CID is changing is going to reboot.

Before turning your phone back on, be sure the SD card you are okay with formatting is inserted into the phone.

Once your phone comes back online, launch terminal, ADB shell, obtain root access, and change directories. Now launch the unlock binary again:

Code:
    ./samsung_unlock_n4-2

You will see the same warning and you will need to enter yes or no again. Once you enter yes, you should see something like this.

Code:
    [+] CID at boot time is/was: 150100523231384d4100657e54fc1200
    [+] dev CID matching, proceding to unlock
    [+] backing up loaders, this will take a few minutes
    [+] loaders successfully backed up
    [+] success! powering off device, hopefully its not bricked!

Keep the SD card in a safe place. If for some reason you ever break your phone, you can possibly use the loaders on this card to fix it.

Power your phone up in download mode (VOL-DOWN + HOME + POWER). Your phone should now show Developer mode. If this is not the case, you either did something wrong or your phone is not a Verizon Note 4 :)
    i can say it is really appreciated that we have this ability but this blunt "we wont tell you how to at least temp root it" thing is kind of messed up because a lot of people have no idea where to go to find the right temp root for this phone. We have always needed root yet now we have unlocked bootloader which again is appreciated, but a little help with the latter would be nice.

To be honest if a person cannot find KingRoot, they should not be using this method. This mindset is shared by a lot of people on XDA. This is not a simple click and go type unlock, it requires someone to get down and dirty to get things done.
    i can say it is really appreciated that we have this ability but this blunt "we wont tell you how to at least temp root it" thing is kind of messed up because a lot of people have no idea where to go to find the right temp root for this phone. We have always needed root yet now we have unlocked bootloader which again is appreciated, but a little help with the latter would be nice.
    To be honest if a person cannot find KingRoot, they should not be using this method. This mindset is shared by a lot of people on XDA. This is not a simple click and go type unlock, it requires someone to get down and dirty to get things done.

If you would like to have a large base of people developing in a community you need to make things accessible. Regardless of how stupid it may be to not be aware of KingRoot why back someone away from attempting something? Hacking and modifying code is all about breaking and fixing. So why deem that some people should not even be messing with this in the first place. If someone doesn't have the skill and used this guide as a project to learn from because it was something they had a personal desire to accomplish and that motivated them why shouldn't they? Because they have never been involved in the android rooting community and they have just never heard of KingRoot? Its not hard to write that in a guide, so why be elitist about something that clearly is simple and doesn't really affect you to include. This attitude is a real shame to see. XDA is all about sharing knowledge, and having a place to share it where others can come to learn with little or no experience. The more people that are "up to speed" and have a good grasp on these concepts the more the development community for android rooting flourishes. The more likely we are to see exciting and creative modifications. Wouldn't normally take the time to say this and it looks like you certainly have a good grasp of the subject.. however.. I am sick of seeing this attitude on a knowledge sharing blog.. When I first joined XDA this attitude wasn't so prevalent. Sure there have always been the D bags that like to call uneducated coders script kiddies etc.. I see this sort of attitude on a mass scale in just about every single Phone or Tablets Sub Forum. It's Lame. Don't Perpetuate it. Take the extra 10mins to write an overly detailed noob friendly guide. Experts can always skim through the fluff, beginners usually have trouble locating information that isn't there in the first place. Have a wonderful day, hope you hear me out. Always nice to see overly helpful contributors! Nice mod btw!​
    This is how I rooted my Dev Ed. Seems like yall should be able to do it since you have Developer Mode. That's an outdated version of TWRP though.

http://xdaforums.com/note-4-verizon/development/how-to-custom-recovery-root-t2923340

Here's the latest. You have to use the latest .tar version.

https://dl.twrp.me/trltevzw/

This is so cool. Now our phone will get the love it always deserved. TAKE THAT YOU VERIZON A**HOLES!!