[HOWTO] Downgrade Froyo (2.2) to Stock 2.1 (ANY HBOOT | WIN/LINUX/MAC | ROOT)

Search This thread

dj_aleks

Dec 3, 2008
Never mind my post, got it to work finally!
But a question then! I ran into a big problem when trying to unroot my Desire, the RUU i ran, ended up in an ERROR 152, will running the downgrader fix this issue or do i need another approach?

Rastaman-FB

Sep 2, 2010
Teppic, does this support the newer pvt4 40000 devices? the reason i ask is becuase this downgrades to a rom prior to the new nand layouts of these devices.

We have a situation on android forums where they ran the downgrade util and ended up with the 4 triangles of death

CitizenLee

Aug 21, 2009
Aberdeen
I just tried this to downgrade my friends Desire but after following all steps including GoldCard unfortunately it didn't work.

At first it said

rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin No such directory could be found

It then ran through the rest of the steps successfully but at the end it said

Testing Access: FAILED

I then checked the GoldCard was ok and tried to run the downgrade but got the same errors.

What would be the best thing to try now? Here are the phone details:

BRAVO PVT1 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.93.0001
MICROP-031d
TOUCHPANEL-SYNT0101
RADIO-5.11.05.27

ANDROID 2.2
BUILD 2.33.161.2

It has CWM recovery on it but I think that might be from when he tried Unrevoked or another method (he's tried to root it a few times unsuccessfully).

The goal is to downgrade, root and S-OFF so he can try out some custom GB ROMs.

Cheers,

Lee

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I just tried this to downgrade my friends Desire but after following all steps including GoldCard unfortunately it didn't work.

At first it said

rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin No such directory could be found

It then ran through the rest of the steps successfully but at the end it said

Testing Access: FAILED

I then checked the GoldCard was ok and tried to run the downgrade but got the same errors.

BRAVO PVT1 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.93.0001
MICROP-031d
TOUCHPANEL-SYNT0101
RADIO-5.11.05.27

ANDROID 2.2
BUILD 2.33.161.2

It has CWM recovery on it but I think that might be from when he tried Unrevoked or another method (he's tried to root it a few times unsuccessfully).

Cheers,

Lee

If he has cwm he can already flash Roms

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

Reactions: CitizenLee

andQlimax

Jul 29, 2010
Rome
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

BRAVO PVT1 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.93.0001
MICROP-031d
TOUCHPANEL-SYNT0101
RADIO-5.11.05.27

ANDROID 2.2
BUILD 2.33.161.2

Cheers,

Lee

u only need http://revolutionary.io (read the documentation for how to), u dont need downgrade
revolutionary will s-off ur phone and install cwm, after that u can flash every rom u want

by the way, even with s-on u can flash rom if u have root and cwm..s-off is full root and allow to write on /system while the phone is booted and other adavanced things

Last edited:

CitizenLee

Aug 21, 2009
Aberdeen
u only need http://revolutionary.io (read the documentation for how to), u dont need downgrade
revolutionary will s-off ur phone and install cwm, after that u can flash every rom u want

by the way, even with s-on u can flash rom if u have root and cwm..s-off is full root and allow to write on /system while the phone is booted and other adavanced things

Thanks, I'll give that a try next time I see him (he's off on holiday for two weeks from tomorrow).

I know the difference between S-OFF / S-ON myself, as I have a rooted & S-OFF'd Desire HD (see sig), the only thing I was unsure of on the standard Desire was how to downgrade HBOOT-0.93 as all the methods I tried got stuck somewhere. Hopefully the Revolutionary method with work though ;)

TronC

May 7, 2009
Groningen
OnePlus 5T
Hi,
I'm trying to root a desire for a friend of mine,
but every time it stays on "obtaining root acces" (waiting more than 15 minutes..)
He has H-boot version 1.02, please help??

thanks

Ravrahn

Jun 7, 2010
Sydney
I've had a rather major issue - looked through the first 30 pages or so, but I couldn't find a fix.

Here is the text from the flashing process:

Code:
  Parsing...[SD ZIP]
  [1] BOOT       - OK
  [2] BOOTLOADER - Bypassed
  [3] RADIO_V2   - Fail-PU
  [4] RADIO_CUST - OK
  [5] RECOVERY   - OK
  [6] SPLASH1    - OK
  [7] SYSTEM     - OK
  [8] USERDATA   - OK
Partition update fail!
Update fail!
Do you want to reboot device?

So the bootloader bypassed and the radio_v2 failed updating... Now I'm stuck with just the splashscreen if I try to boot (the splashscreen has changed, though). I can't flash my RUU, I spent a few hours last night fixing my Windows partition and when I tried the RUU this morning it kept giving an "Error: Device not found" (I'm fairly sure that's because I can't boot my phone). I'm on HBOOT-0.93.0001, RADIO-5.11.05.14, it's a Telstra Desire, had 2.2, and was SLCD. It's brand new and I don't want to have broken it on the first day - please help!

EDIT: OK, extracted the RUU image from the exe, and it works again. I think the problem arose in my Desire being a PVT4. So, let this be a warning - this won't work on PVT4 Desires!

Last edited:

abdussamad

Apr 11, 2011
islamabad
HElp urgent somebody

please somebody update the downgrade v2.3 or v2.1 link.i hav downloaded multiple sometimes file is broken or sometimes while downloading at exactly 99% download it says connection timeout.its really pi*sing me of cuz i have tried so many times plz help...........................................

Choni26

Mar 4, 2009
Dead link

all of the links are dead,(the alternate links as well).So now i cant root my phone so im stuck with the stock rom.I would appreciate it very much if someone could help me.
Thank you very much

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *Please note: this utility may not function with some very new froyo releases (e.g. the ARA release) and almost certainly will not work on the official gingerbread release*

This utility will quickly, safely and easily downgrade froyo to stock Android 2.1 (HTC software version 1.21.405.2, radio 32.41.00.32U_4.08.00.09, hboot 0.83), which can then be rooted with unrevoked3. The downgraded ROM is fully compatible with SLCD and AMOLED screens.

You do not have to downgrade to Android 2.1 with the supplied stock ROM. After the process is completed, just cancel the flash and install the ROM you require using the standard RUU method (this utility will prevent the version error you normally get when trying to install an older release).

In other words, some typical uses:

- You have installed an update and want to revert to an older version.
    - You have rooted your phone and want to return it to stock (e.g. for warranty or selling).
    - You want to debrand your phone, or you have debranded and want to re-brand it.

It runs in Linux, Mac OS X and Windows. Please post your results, even if successful and without any problems. If unsuccessful please post the output from the utility and include which version your phone was currently on (e.g. 2.09.405.8 / hboot 0.92) and the CID that the utility gives you (e.g. HTC__001). If the utility reports that it has failed to root your phone, no harm will be done so long as you stop the process.

Update:
    Newer versions of unrevoked3 (from 3.21) can now root froyo ROMs directly, and a downgrade is no longer necessary if you just want to root and install custom recovery, although there appear to be a few issues. If you want to rebrand/debrand your phone, rooting won't achieve this and you can use this method instead. If you cannot get the new version of unrevoked3 to work you can also run this and use the older version (3.14) that works with Android 2.1.

Requirements

A working goldcard if your phone is or was branded.
    At least 150mb free on your sdcard/goldcard, formatted as FAT32.
    Downgrade Utility (v2.3) - Alternate Link
    md5sum: f558a157e154e47331da67aa3c3d0a8b
    [Downgrade utility (v2.1) - Alternate Link]
    md5sum: 9b218e68068e77840d91c9d5edbf32ac

Process

Previous froyo downgrade options are not really adequate for these reasons:

- They result in a broken screen on SLCD phones.
    - They do not run at all on software versions higher than 2.09.405.8.
    - They involve manually copying files and manual post-downgrade steps.

This downgrade has none of these problems, and will work on SLCD and AMOLED phones and any version of HBOOT.

The process is simple and requires minimal intervention - just a couple of key presses. A few reboots will take place as it flashes the downgrade, and this is nothing to worry about.

You can run this utility on Android 2.1 too. If your phone is rooted or has a custom ROM, it will be restored to a stock unrooted ROM.

This downgrade is not suitable for CDMA phones.

Further Information

If you want to flash an alternative RUU (e.g. a branded 2.1 release), just skip the downgrade section at the end by pressing vol-down on the phone when the utility has completed. Then reboot the phone and run the RUU you want. If you have an SLCD screen you should be very careful here - most older RUUs don't support the screen.

If you want to run a custom ROM you need to apply the downgrade, and then root the phone using unrevoked3.

On some sdcards the phone might not detect the downgrade file (this is nothing to do with this utility, and it will not harm your phone). If this happens, trying a different card or re-formatting it as FAT32 will probably fix it. Otherwise you can install the same downgrade image directly using this RUU. Note that you can only apply this RUU after running the utility, and it is only necessary if the phone does not detect the downgrade at the final stage.

Linux/Mac Installation

1. Download and extract the utility in a terminal:
    $ unzip downgrade23.zip
    $ cd desire_downgrade

2. Enable USB debugging on your phone. Ensure 'ask me' is set under 'Connect to PC' setting, and 'charge only'. Plug in your phone.

3. Run the utility.
    $ sudo ./downgrade.sh

4. Wait for the process to complete.

If you chose not to downgrade, you can now flash any RUU.

Windows Installation

0. Install HTC Sync (driver required).

1. Extract the downloaded zip file fully (do not just click on the zip file).

2. Enable USB debugging on your phone. Ensure 'ask me' is set under 'Connect to PC' setting with 'charge only'. Plug in your phone.

3. Double-click on the win-down file.

4. Follow instructions and wait.

Notes - Please Read

You should remove the PB99IMG.zip file from your sdcard after completing.
    This process will wipe all the data from your phone (except the sdcard).
    The downgrade will work on branded phones only if a goldcard is inserted (without one: CID error).
    The process will flash your recovery partition back to stock.
    The downgrade installs an official (unbranded and unrooted) stock HTC ROM.
    The downgrade does not depend on any version of HBOOT.
    If the bootloader cannot find the PB99IMG file, try formatting the sdcard as FAT32 and try again.

Known bugs:

Some newer phones may fail to downgrade properly with an error during the flashing process. If this happens, try installing one of the latest stock RUUs to recover.

Further Information

Backups

Downgrading requires a full factory reset, which is automatically performed as part of this process. There are various apps to help with backing up data from your phone. For example, 'SMS Backup & Restore' is a simple app that will back up your text messages to your sdcard and let you recover them later. You can back your contacts up using the People app (menu, and then 'export to SD card').

Recovery from broken screen

If you have previously run an RUU or tried an older downgrade method and your SLCD phone's screen is now disabled, the easiest way to recover is to run the official froyo RUU to upgrade. You can then either stick with official froyo, or downgrade to a working Android 2.1 release using this tool.

Other HBOOT?

You do not need a lower version, and installing a lower one will break SLCD phones. See this thread for information about this.

Reporting problems

Please include as much detail as you can, with at the very least any errors given by the utility. Also include the CID provided by the utility.

Changelog

2.3 - 05/09/2010
    Fix testing bug in Linux/Mac version.
    No changes to Windows version.

2.2 - 02/09/2010
    Add OS X support.
    Explicitly use bash (Mac compatibility)
    Check for root on Linux/Mac

2.1 - 01/09/2010
    New: goldcard requirement check.
    Wait on phone instead of check for phone.
    Move all file checks to phone.
    Cleanup files on completion.

2.0 - 30/08/2010
    Major reworking.
    CID/misc partition handled automatically.
    Verify misc partition image and downgrade image after transfer.
    Check root access improved.
    Various clean-ups.

1.3 - 30/08/2010
    Linux: integrate misc partition image creator.
    Sync transfers for extra reliability.
    Use old-style sdcard location for Android 2.1 compatibility.
    Various minor changes.

1.2 - 29/08/2010
    Fix mtd0 backup error.
    Backup mtd0 to sdcard instead.
    New: Windows get-cid script.

1.1 - 29/08/2010
    Windows script checks for PB99IMG.zip
    Checks if the phone is already running a rooted ROM. If it is, the downgrade can now safely be performed.
    Creates a backup of the existing misc partition.

1.0: Initial public version - 29/08/2010

Testing Status

No known problems. Tested on several ROMs included stock unbranded Froyo (2.09.x, 2.10.x) and O2 and Vodafone branded Froyo.

Downgrade v2.3.zip
    http://db.tt/IikgVSN8

Htc Desire & AOKP by Preston74

BRAVO PVT1 SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-0.93.0001
    MICROP-031d
    TOUCHPANEL-SYNT0101
    RADIO-5.11.05.27

ANDROID 2.2
    BUILD 2.33.161.2

Cheers,

Lee

Is there anybody who can reupload the needed downgrade utility?

Here you are.