[HOWTO] Enable Auto Rotation for Lock Screen & Launcher

Search This thread

eqbirvin

Apr 6, 2012
Philly
This is a quick walk through for editing the build.prop to allow lock screen and launcher rotation.​

I got tired of looking at my phone sideways while it was propped up landscape wise, in my case.

1. Locate "build.prop" in /system using your favorite file explore
2. Open it up and at the bottom add the lines
Code:
log.tag.launcher_force_rotate=VERBOSE
lockscreen.rot_override=true
3. Save your edit and reboot.

Lockscreen rotation still not working for you???
A few users have reported that adding a blank line between the two, fixes this issue.

Once the phone reboots your lockscreen and Google Now launcher will rotate with the orientation of the device just like other apps do.
To undo this, simply remove the lines we added
:good:

Update: 11/10/2015
enigma9o7 Has figured out how to get this to stick even after an update! Head over to his post for the walkthrough and install guide!! Remember to give them a "thanks" for sharing the work!

Last edited:

darkkterror

Aug 19, 2010
Nice tip. I've always just used an app called Ultimate Rotation Control. Seems to work just fine on the Nexus 6. A quick build.prop tweak removes the need for a separate app for it, though. I might get around to trying this...eventually ;)

eqbirvin

Apr 6, 2012
Philly
I used an app for quite some time but i disliked it running in the background.

Im not able to make a flashable zip. Maybe in time I will see if i can.

For adb, youd have to pull the build.prop, edit on computer then push it back. The instructions to do that are unclear to me :p

eqbirvin

Apr 6, 2012
Philly
in ES file explorer when you grant it root permissions, click on root, then mount R/W, make sure "/system" is RW instead of RO. (sorry if you already know this, im just trying to save time and figure your error out haha)

Reactions: Mr.Tom_Tom

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a quick walk through for editing the build.prop to allow lock screen and launcher rotation.​

I got tired of looking at my phone sideways while it was propped up landscape wise, in my case.

1. Locate "build.prop" in /system using your favorite file explore
    2. Open it up and at the bottom add the lines
    Code:
    log.tag.launcher_force_rotate=VERBOSE
    lockscreen.rot_override=true
    3. Save your edit and reboot.

Lockscreen rotation still not working for you???
    A few users have reported that adding a blank line between the two, fixes this issue.

Once the phone reboots your lockscreen and Google Now launcher will rotate with the orientation of the device just like other apps do.
    To undo this, simply remove the lines we added
    :good:

Update: 11/10/2015
    enigma9o7 Has figured out how to get this to stick even after an update! Head over to his post for the walkthrough and install guide!! Remember to give them a "thanks" for sharing the work!
    It would be amazing if you were able to figure out how to. But I'm at a loss on how to do it. If you find a way to do so and choose to share back on this thread, I'll link to your post and obviously give you credit for the script in the OP

You motivated me to figure it out myself. It was pretty much what I expected, other than have to change /system to read/write first (then set back to readonly when done). I attached the script I wrote, although had to add an extension to filename due to messageboard requirement. It's three lines:
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    echo log.tag.launcher_force_rotate=VERBOSE >> /system/build.prop
    mount -o ro,remount /system

Installation (One time only)
    Use usb cable or whatever to copy to phone, I put it in /storage/sdcard1. There's probably better place to keep it, but that works for me... Then use adb shell or terminal to make it executable, I dunno if these are the correct permissions, but they work (whereas chmod +x didn't for some reason):
    Code:
    su
    cd /storage/sdcard1    <-------- or wherever you put it
    rename rotateHomescreen.txt rotateHomescreen     <--- only because forum made me have an extension
    chmod 666 rotateHomescreen

Execution (Once after every rom update)
    From adb shell or terminal:
    Code:
    su
    /storage/sdcard1/rotateHomescreen     <--- change path if you put it somewhere else obviously

That's it. Should be able to add the other line for lockscreen if desired in there too following same syntax.
    My lockscreen won't rotate but my launcher will. Is there something I need to change for the lock screen?
    I realize the second line is supposed to do this but it's not for me.

I experienced this same result at first.

I got lock screen rotation working by just adding an empty line between the two lines of code. Try that... hope it works for you too.

Thanks OP
    I used an app for quite some time but i disliked it running in the background.

Im not able to make a flashable zip. Maybe in time I will see if i can.

For adb, youd have to pull the build.prop, edit on computer then push it back. The instructions to do that are unclear to me :p
    Can't find way to rotate the lockscreen.
    The second line in the op
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone