[HowTo] Enabling dual-SIM on single-SIM devices

Search This thread

jnsson

No, if you don't want to: As stated in step 6, you can add these lines to '/data/local.prop' (create it if not there) instead of '/system/build.prop'. Then you do not need to add these lines on each ROM update (only if you wipe your data partition or delete the file manually).
And make sure that the file has permissions 644 and is owned by root:root (with 'chmod' and 'chown', or a capable file explorer).

Alright. And there is no other tings that should be in the local.prop other that what you have written if I need to create a new file?

jnsson

emil.s

Aug 9, 2010
Hello everyone,

I just want to get the dual sim working with the stock firmware, by changing as few things as possible.

I have downloaded the French dual sim firmware linked here previously, but after flashing the firmware, do I still need to flash a new ROM, or will I be fine just adding the /data/local.prop?

And how do I root without unlocking the boot loader? Or can I create the /data/local.prop file in some other way?

Thanks

Ineedtoys

Hello everyone,

I just want to get the dual sim working with the stock firmware, by changing as few things as possible.

I have downloaded the French dual sim firmware linked here previously, but after flashing the firmware, do I still need to flash a new ROM, or will I be fine just adding the /data/local.prop?

And how do I root without unlocking the boot loader? Or can I create the /data/local.prop file in some other way?

Thanks
Flashing the French 'stock' firmware and adding /data/local.prop got my UK XT1562 to enable both SIM slots OK. But it was a wasted effort as the 2nd SIM won't register on any UK network as there is no IMEI. Same with the Asia Dual SIM image. Unless anyone has found a (legal) way around this?

jellysheep

Oct 3, 2013
Since you seems like a guy that knows much, do you know if this codeting is needed on like CM if I buy the dual SIM variant from start? And does CM supports this phone in dual SIM version from start ( I can buy this phone in dual SIM variant from start)? With CM, I mean [ROM][WIP] CyanogenMod 13 Preview for Moto X Play and [ROM][lux] CyanogenMod 12.1 for Moto X Play
On a stock dual-sim device, these lines are not needed. And CM supports those devices just as well, yes.
That's just the tradeoff, you can either invest a little more money, or do some mods (and lose warranty), to get a dual-sim device.
And btw, don't install CM13 if you rely on your phone all day, it is still full of bugs (but looks already really promising [emoji2]).

Reactions: jnsson

jellysheep

Oct 3, 2013
Hello everyone,

Thanks
You only have to install another ROM if you want to. [emoji6] E.g. some users want to flash CM or similar to get more features on their device. But if you're fibe with the stock rom, you can stay with it.
Though I'm afraid I don't know a way to root your device without loosing warranty, and root is required to edit the local.prop. It could be that one of Framaroot or similar tools works (by gaining root access via a bug exploit), but I'm not sure about that.

jellysheep

Oct 3, 2013
Flashing the French 'stock' firmware and adding /data/local.prop got my UK XT1562 to enable both SIM slots OK. But it was a wasted effort as the 2nd SIM won't register on any UK network as there is no IMEI. Same with the Asia Dual SIM image. Unless anyone has found a (legal) way around this?
You can search for ways/apps/mods to set (or change) the IMEI of an android smartphone. There are ways to do this, and it might enable the second sim for you in the UK. But be warned, this (fake IMEI) might be even more illegal than without IMEI.

jnsson

On a stock dual-sim device, these lines are not needed. And CM supports those devices just as well, yes.
That's just the tradeoff, you can either invest a little more money, or do some mods (and lose warranty), to get a dual-sim device.
And btw, don't install CM13 if you rely on your phone all day, it is still full of bugs (but looks already really promising [emoji2]).

Thats nice! I think I will order a Dual SIM from Orange store, those is shipping to my country which is Sweden and it is like 10-20 dollars cheaper then the single SIM model :). There I know I get 2 IMEI numbers as well :). I plan on going over to CM 12.1 directly when I get the phone. I have tried CM13 on my Moto G 2014 LTE and it is buggy still :/

Reactions: jellysheep

jellysheep

Oct 3, 2013
Thats nice! I think I will order a Dual SIM from Orange store, those is shipping to my country which is Sweden and it is like 10-20 dollars cheaper then the single SIM model :). There I know I get 2 IMEI numbers as well :). I plan on going over to CM 12.1 directly when I get the phone. I have tried CM13 on my Moto G 2014 LTE and it is buggy still :/
Haha, it's great that the dual-sim variant is actually cheaper than the single-sim one. [emoji1]

jnsson

Yes, I flashed the whole bunch of sparsechunk files, including the radio files again. And it worked fine. [emoji6]
Nice. I hope it does in my country as well. Because the second SIM slot doesn't get a IMEI number :). Anyway, will do it later today :). How many sparsechunk should it be? In that file that I downloaded yesterday it was 7

Skickat från min Moto G 2014 LTE via Tapatalk

jellysheep

Oct 3, 2013
Nice. I hope it does in my country as well. Because the second SIM slot doesn't get a IMEI number :). Anyway, will do it later today :). How many sparsechunk should it be? In that file that I downloaded yesterday it was 7

Skickat från min Moto G 2014 LTE via Tapatalk
Yeah, for me it was also 7 system sparsechunks. You have to flash all of them, no matter how many (it just depends on the size of the system partition).
Good luck! [emoji6]

Reactions: jnsson

rentboy71

Jun 1, 2014
What's the model number of the dual sim variant of MXP?

Wysłane z mojego XT1068 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    follow the steps below to enable dual-SIM functionality on a single-SIM XT1562 device.

IMPORTANT: Read the following before performing any of the steps below!
    1. This HowTo is only for XT1562 devices. This has been reported to not work on XT1563 devices.
    2. The second SIM in your phone will have an IMEI of "0" (as there was none set during manufacturing). In some countries like the UK, many providers don't allow phones with such an IMEI, so you will not be able to use SIM cards from these providers as your second SIM.
    3. Only one SIM (the one used for data connection) can use 3G/LTE bands. The other SIM card can only use 2G bands (this is a hardware limitation of the device). In some countries like Sweden, some providers sell cards that can only use 3G and not 2G, so you will not be able to use these cards as "secondary" (calls/messages only) SIM.
    4. If you plan to do a Nandroid backup or use Titanium Backup for your data currently on your phone (because you don't want to copy your data by hand) or if you want to flash a custom ROM like CyanogenMod, you will need to unlock your Moto X Play (instructions below). Note that in this case your device warranty will be void.

Here are the steps to enable dual SIM functionality:
    1. If you want, make a backup of all your data. You can copy your files by hand, to not lose your warranty.
      If you don't copy your files by hand but with Nandroid backup or Titanium Backup (to restore app data as well), you will have to unlock your device, and therefore lose warranty (Refer to this guide for unlocking: http://www.gammerson.com/2015/08/steps-how-to-unlock-bootloader-of-moto-x-play.html. Note that all your data will be lost, and your device warranty will be void.). In this case, easiest way is to boot up a custom recovery (see this thread) and make a Nandroid backup to an external SD card. Alternatively backup the apps with Titanium Backup and copy the internal SD card files by hand.
    2. Flash a dual-SIM stock firmware: Find a stock firmware that matches your region best on this site (search for "XT1562" and "DS" for dual-SIM). Follow this guide completely for flashing the firmware on your device.
    If you are fine with the stock ROM and don't need a custom ROM like CyanogenMod, and you copied your files and data by hand without root, you are now finished and can use your dual SIM phone.
    If you want to flash another ROM, or restore a Nandroid backup or Titanium Backup, please continue with the following steps.
    1. Flash your favorite ROM (e.g. @squid2's CM 12.1, it's running great), or stay with the stock ROM.
    2. Unlock your Moto X Play (if not done for the backup before yet): Refer to this guide for unlocking: http://www.gammerson.com/2015/08/steps-how-to-unlock-bootloader-of-moto-x-play.html. Note that all your data will be lost, and your device warranty will be void.
    3. If you're on stock ROM, flash a custom recovery (see this thread again) and root your device by flashing SuperSU from the recovery.
    4. Restore your Nandroid or Titanium backup.
    5. If you're not on stock ROM, add the following lines (needs root) to a new file /data/local.prop or append it at the bottom of /system/build.prop:
      Code:
      ro.gsm.data_retry_config=default_randomization=2000,max_retries=infinite,1000,1000,80000,125000,485000,905000
      persist.radio.plmn_name_cmp=1
      persist.radio.force_get_pref=1
      persist.radio.multisim.config=dsds
      I'd prefer the /data/local.prop, as you do not need to make the change on every ROM update.
      If you're on CM 13, you will have to add this line as well:
      Code:
      ro.telephony.ril.config=simactivation
    6. Make sure that either file has read/write permissions 644 and is owned by root:root (with 'chown'). To ensure the r/w 644 permissions, go into the properties of the file (e.g. with ES File Explorer), and check that the file is readable and writable (rw, or 6) by the owner, and readable (r, or 4) for the group and others.
    7. Finally, reboot one last time.

Disclaimer: I do not take responsability for any damage that may be caused to your device or for the warranty that will be void after following this HowTo. Please make sure you have an appropriate device (XT1562) before flashing the dual-SIM stock firmware.

Credits go to @ALD76 for originally posting the build.prop/local.prop modifications above, and to all the testers who risked their devices to try this out and encourage other users. And to @heisert, for mentioning that unlocking is not necessary for flashing official firmwares. And to @GtrCraft, for the local.prop modification line on CM 13.

Have fun and enjoy your dual-SIM phone. :D
    jellysheep
    @jellysheep
    Done. CM with DS on a SingleSim Device RetEu.
    It's just a question of the right Baserom. I tryed the french Firmware plus the trick from the initial post and it works.

You will lose data connection until you do the trick, so make sure you are in a wlan area to set uo your device.

here is a fast link to the base rom:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxY75MbFAKsXcExRbnd3VXg1Mmc/view?usp=docslist_api

The trick I mentioned:
    Add the following text to your build.prop (it's in the system folder). I didn't test the option with a local.prop .

ro.gsm.data_retry_config=default_randomization=200 0,max_retries=infinite,1000,1000,80000,125000,4850 00,905000
    persist.radio.plmn_name_cmp=1
    persist.radio.force_get_pref=1
    persist.radio.multisim.config=dsds
    Execute this fastboot command:

fastboot oem config num-sims 2

This is what solved it for me.
    Okay, where at? I opened the casing but I do not see a hidden 2nd SIM slot. Any help? :confused:
    What I have seen on the videos of the the dual-sim Moto Xplay, that both SIMs are on the slot that you can punch in and out.
    Is there a spare slot that I could buy online where I am able to put both SIM cards in?

... I am soooo lost .... :eek::eek::crying:

thanks!
    e7c6ecd387175c3a78ce6294a83418ea.jpg

This is the SIM card tray from the Moto X Play. On one side of it is the Micro SD and on the other side are the SIM card slots. The only difference on single SIM phones is that Motorola puts a piece of plastic in where the second SIM card goes. Just do what I originally posted to get rid of the plastic so that you can install the second SIM. All in all the tray can hold both SIMs and the micro SD card.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
    Execute this fastboot command:

fastboot oem config num-sims 2

This is what solved it for me.
    @delahunty
    At what point should I use this command? After the installation of Custom ROM? or after making local.prop?

EDIT:
    @dealhunty 1000 virgins for You!!!! Thanks it's work! (I'll be testing)
    Ok. It's that:

1. Install XT1562_LUX_RETASIA_DS_6.0.1_MPD24.107-52_cid7_subsidy-DEFAULT_CFC from minmal fastboot using this command:

Code:
    fastboot oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.8
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.9
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase customize
    fastboot erase clogo
    fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
    [B][U]fastboot oem config num-sims 2[/U][/B]
    fastboot reboot
    2. Install TWRP from minimal fastboot.
    3. Factory reset, Wipe dalvik cache, DATA.
    4. Install any Custom ROM from Recovery.
    5. Wipe / dalvic cache.
    6. Enyoy Dual Sim Custom Rom!
    I is not to be needed use local.prop or bulid.prop. (i tested on DU and RR)
    @jellysheep please add this info on the top topic i wasted 2 weeks form making custom rom dual SIM.