[HOWTO] Facebook chat through the gtalk.

_smurf

Mar 11, 2011
I was looking for some way how to add the fb chat into the gtalk. (because I think other IM are too battery cosumption to be always online)
I did not found the solution but I found a solution how to add ICQ using the ICQ transport. (inspiration:)) This made a huge mess in my contacts btw:(

There are also XMPP transports for the XMPP protocol - you can use it for FB because FB is also available through XMPP.

And the best thing is that the newly added FB contacts are added into the different group ("Buddies" instead of "General"). This is in the contact list shown as "Other contacts" on gmail.com webpage (easy to remove).
The new contacts are automaticly joined with your synchronized FB contact in your phone:)

Steps to get fb chat through gtalk:
1) Install IM PSI or similar (http://psi-im.org/download)
2) Add XMPP account "[email protected],com" (gtalk account), login and go online
3) Click on "General/Service discovery" and into the address put "j2j.jabber.org.by" (wish other service? http://www.jabberes.org/servers/)
4) Right button click on the "XMPP j2j Transport" and click "Register"
- jabberid: "[email protected]"
- Password: your fb password
5) Click "Register"
6) Add and auth everything

I want to share this solution becouse i think it is useful. Hope will help you too:)
Sorry for my english

Last edited:

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
I was looking for some way how to add the fb chat into the gtalk. (because I think other IM are too battery cosumption to be always online)
I did not found the solution but I found a solution how to add ICQ using the ICQ transport. (inspiration:)) This made a huge mess in my contacts btw:(

There are also XMPP transports for the XMPP protocol - you can use it for FB because fb is also available through XMPP.

And the best thing is that the newly added fb contacts are added into the different group ("Buddies" instead of "General"). This is in the contact list shown as "Other contacts" on gmail,com webpages (easy to remove)
The new contact are automaticly joined with your synchronized FB contact in your phone:)

Steps to get fb chat throught gtalk:
1) Install IM PSI or similar
2) Add XMPP account "useratgmail,com" (gtalk), login and go online
3) Click on "General/Service discovery" and into the address put "j2j,jabber,org,by"
4) Right button click on the "XMPP j2j Transport" and click "Register"
- jabberid: "fb_usernameatchat,facebook,com"
- Password: your fb password
5) Click "register"
6) Add and auth everything

I want to share this solution becouse i think it is useful. Hope will help you too:)
Sorry for my english
-------edited----------
instead of
"," use "."
"at" in XMPP account use "@"
sorry Im newby and can not use ouside link - or mod pls fix
You can also use this for MSN! I've done it ages ago and now I have all my contacts in one place and can be online 24/7. Gtalk is the most battery-friendly IM app, imho. Thanks for the guide! :)

_smurf

Mar 11, 2011
You can also use this for MSN! I've done it ages ago and now I have all my contacts in one place and can be online 24/7. Gtalk is the most battery-friendly IM app, imho. Thanks for the guide! :)
yes, there is a lot of useful XMPP transports available
Writting this: "Jabber/XMPP Server List" into the google (first link) it is possible to see list of servers and its transports. Use it means add contacts into your google-contact list. I dont like it. I was pleasantly surprised that the FB contacts are joined:)

trendkill3388

Aug 18, 2011
I have this all set up, slowly working through changing the names from the random numbers to the person's name. One thing though, it doesn't let me join a Facebook group chat through Google Talk. Any suggestions on how to make that work?

Last edited: