[HOWTO] Fixing “Insufficient storage available” errors on Android 4.2 and above

Search This thread

baha76_s

Feb 23, 2008
Lausanne
Hi,
this is a problem i encountered many times after (a while) i updated my phone to 4.2.2 (cannot install/update any app.apk file outside the playstore and there is this famous "Insufficient storage available" error which cant solved by wiping cache and dalvik cache).

And after some investigation i noticed that since android 4.2, google create a new lib folder for the apps in "/data called /data/app-lib/" and there is a symlink from "/data/data/APP-PATH/lib" to this folder which is the most culpable of this error.

So to avoid this kind of error:

1. go to "/data/app-lib/APP-PATH(that has this error)/lib" and delete.
2. install/update the apk app.
3. if not work go to "/data/app-lib/APP-PATH(that has this error)" and delete all the folder (but you must begin by their sub-folder then the folder itself, because you cant delete the folder of this APP-PATH directly without deleting their sub-folder first.

i hope, i helped some of you guys that you have this erroneous and overstressed error.

quicky2g

Jan 22, 2009
I've been banging my head against the wall for a few days trying to figure out why Clean Master wouldn't update. I kept getting the message you were talking about. I tried several other fixes without any luck. I have plenty of space on my internal and external storage. I tried uninstalling the app and couldn't re-install either. I used your fix and the app finally installed. Thanks a bunch!

Reactions: baha76_s

baha76_s

Feb 23, 2008
Lausanne
I've been banging my head against the wall for a few days trying to figure out why Clean Master wouldn't update. I kept getting the message you were talking about. I tried several other fixes without any luck. I have plenty of space on my internal and external storage. I tried uninstalling the app and couldn't re-install either. I used your fix and the app finally installed. Thanks a bunch!

Me too :D:cool: untill i found this fu...ing app-lib syslink.
You are not alone bro not aloone.:thumbup:
Thanks

Sent from my HTC One X+ using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Aurazor

Dec 5, 2013
Another Insufficient Storage fix

Hi all,
I personally found that this method didn't fix it for me... apparently on my Galaxy Note GT-N7000 running SlimBean 4.3, there really WAS a complete lack of storage after only a week or two of running. This is an issue that affects non-custom ROMs also, otherwise I'd be posting on the developer forum, it doesnt seem to be an issue with the custom.

If you are suffering from a distinct lack of internal storage, try the following;

1. Get a decent Root Explorer (FX root is now free and very good)
  2. Navigate to /data/log
  3. Check for oversize log files ~260k titled 'dumpstate'
These dumpstate log files were steadily consuming my storage, they were up to 750 items in a week and steadily increasing. They are written when the phone loses mobile coverage, so if you're in a blackspot they will start eating storage.

Some file explorers will allow you to 'Select All' and you can happily empty the entire folder without risk to your system that I know of. If yours doesn't, you can actually delete the entire log folder and re-make it with no ill effects. Solved my problem!

Take it easy :)

pricefix23

Nov 22, 2005
Down South
Am also having this problem. Amusingly, I can't install FX root or similar due to 'insufficient storage'...

[EDIT - finally fixed this by uninstalling Real Racing 3]

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

lionhealth

May 11, 2011
Ten times thank was not enough. So helpful!

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

The only thing I can do when I can not install or update an important app was wipe everything, re-install my rom and install/update it until reading your post. ^^!

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

The only thing I can do when I can not install or update an important app was wipe everything, re-install my rom and install/update it until reading your post. ^^!

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
Thx for the fix suggestion,

but unfortunately this solution failed to fix my issue.

Maybe this one can help the other who also haven't manage to fix theirs,

try to download "Lucky Patcher" and choose "Troubleshooting", it will check whether there were ODEX file left after previous installation and else, and will delete the file when necessary.

It fix my "insufficient storage issue"

baha76_s

Feb 23, 2008
Lausanne
How download lucky patcher?

Lucky patcher app is a cracking app that is not welcomed here and against the roles of xda forum.
But if you went this app to get rid of the odex files, there is another simple method by using any file manager (like root manager) then go to data\app or system\app and search for the "xxx.odex" of your app that had a problem then delete it (it's safe to delete it) then reboot.
This is the same method that lucky patcher did it to get rid of the odex file.
Thanks

Reactions: KingRJ10

Leuviah

Mar 31, 2011
This was my problem : unused odex file. I deleted all the odex files in lucky patcher and voila every thing was perfect. ;)

How to remove odex file?

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Lucky patcher app is a cracking app that is not welcomed here and against the roles of xda forum.
But if you went this app to get rid of the odex files, there is another simple method by using any file manager (like root manager) then go to data\app or system\app and search for the "xxx.odex" of your app that had a problem then delete it (it's safe to delete it) then reboot.
Thanks

in that folder there is no file .....

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Thanks

try to download "Lucky Patcher" and choose "Troubleshooting", it will check whether there were ODEX file left after previous installation and else, and will delete the file when necessary.

it asks me to install supersu (which obviously I) and update busybox, I'm not going any further!

baha76_s

Feb 23, 2008
Lausanne
How to remove odex file?

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

in that folder there is no file .....

There are 2 paths according to your app:
system\app (if it is system app)
data\app (if it is normal app)
If there is no such "xxxx.odex" (which xxxx mean the name of your app in question), then your problem is not accuse to unused odex files but beyond that.
Are you on stock Rom or modified room, odexed rom or deodexed rom.
Because the method of lucky patcher to delete these files are simply it search any file with extension (odex) in the 2 paths above then delete them. That's it, there is no magic happens at all.
Thanks

PS. Ah, another things, are you tried to show the hidden files in your file manager.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingRJ10

Leuviah

Mar 31, 2011
There are 2 paths according to your app:
system\app (if it is system app)
data\app (if it is normal app)
If there is no such "xxxx.odex" (which xxxx mean the name of your app in question), then your problem is not accuse to unused odex files but beyond that.
Are you on stock Rom or modified room, odexed room or deodexed rom.
Because the method of lucky patcher to delete these files are simply it search any file with extension (odex) in the 2 paths above then delete them. That's it, there is no magic happens at all.
Thanks

Excuse me, i found the path.....
I have a problem with facebook app.
I have to delete all flie that there are for example in the folder facebook.katana

baha76_s

Feb 23, 2008
Lausanne
Excuse me, i found the path.....
I have a problem with facebook app.
I have to delete all flie that there are for example in the folder facebook.katana

Do the following:
1. Delete all files in "data\app-libs\com.facebook.katana-2" then delete this folder.
2. Go to "data\data\com.facebook.katana" then delete the following syslink folders: (app-libs), (lib→data\app-libs\com.facebook.katana-2).
3. Go to "data\app" then delete "com.facebook.katana-2.odex" (if present).
4. Reboot
Then reinstall the facebook from playstore

Leuviah

Mar 31, 2011
Do the following:
1. Delete all files in "data\app-libs\com.facebook.katana-2" then delete this folder.
2. Go to "data\data\com.facebook.katana" then delete the following syslink folders: (app-libs), (lib→data\app-libs\com.facebook.katana-2).
3. Go to "data\app" then delete "com.facebook.katana-2.odex" (if present).
4. Reboot
Then reinstall the facebook from playstore

I use only 1 step and all ok!
Thank's for all.
This solution should be used once?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    this is a problem i encountered many times after (a while) i updated my phone to 4.2.2 (cannot install/update any app.apk file outside the playstore and there is this famous "Insufficient storage available" error which cant solved by wiping cache and dalvik cache).

And after some investigation i noticed that since android 4.2, google create a new lib folder for the apps in "/data called /data/app-lib/" and there is a symlink from "/data/data/APP-PATH/lib" to this folder which is the most culpable of this error.

So to avoid this kind of error:

1. go to "/data/app-lib/APP-PATH(that has this error)/lib" and delete.
    2. install/update the apk app.
    3. if not work go to "/data/app-lib/APP-PATH(that has this error)" and delete all the folder (but you must begin by their sub-folder then the folder itself, because you cant delete the folder of this APP-PATH directly without deleting their sub-folder first.

i hope, i helped some of you guys that you have this erroneous and overstressed error.
    Here is a quick fix.

Run this in adb shell as root and it will fix any bad packages.

Code:
    for line in `pm list packages -f`; do pkg=`echo $line | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d= -f2`; if [ "$(ls /data/app-lib | grep "${pkg}-" | wc -w)" -gt 1 -a "$pkg" != "android" ]; then fullname=`echo $line | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d= -f1`; filename="$(basename $fullname)"; badfile=`ls /data/app-lib | grep "${pkg}-" | grep -v "${filename%.*}"`; rm -rf /data/app-lib/$badfile; echo "Fixed $pkg"; fi; done
    Another Insufficient Storage fix

Hi all,
    I personally found that this method didn't fix it for me... apparently on my Galaxy Note GT-N7000 running SlimBean 4.3, there really WAS a complete lack of storage after only a week or two of running. This is an issue that affects non-custom ROMs also, otherwise I'd be posting on the developer forum, it doesnt seem to be an issue with the custom.

If you are suffering from a distinct lack of internal storage, try the following;

1. Get a decent Root Explorer (FX root is now free and very good)
    2. Navigate to /data/log
    3. Check for oversize log files ~260k titled 'dumpstate'
    These dumpstate log files were steadily consuming my storage, they were up to 750 items in a week and steadily increasing. They are written when the phone loses mobile coverage, so if you're in a blackspot they will start eating storage.

Some file explorers will allow you to 'Select All' and you can happily empty the entire folder without risk to your system that I know of. If yours doesn't, you can actually delete the entire log folder and re-make it with no ill effects. Solved my problem!

Take it easy :)
    Guys please help a desperate guy (me) who tried to solve this problem fore more than a day already...:crying:
    I have my Nexus 7 2013 device and I found that I can't update apps.
    It's funny because I can update some apps but not other ( say I can't update Chrome but I can update any.do)
    I can download some app but not
    ...................................................................... WAIT WHAT?!
    I FINALLY SOLVED THIS PROBLEM!!!!
    I simply downloaded LINK2SD and set the install location to AUTO and restarted my tablet. Then YEAHHH!! problem solved!
    At first I thought I didn't have an external SD card so I didn't try. But as I was so desperate, I tried it anyway and it WORKED!
    Please give it a try if you are like me, whose device doesn't have an external SD card.

Thank you guys for all the help and suggestions along the way!