[HOWTO] Flashing baseband (radio) via LGMDP.exe

Search This thread
D

doktornotor

This HOWTO is for users who want to switch from stock LG 2.3.3 ROM to CM7 or other older ROMs that are NOT based LG's on v20? ROM or vice versa. Eventually, all new ROMs will switch to new baseband by default, so it is useful as well if you want to avoid the complete KDZ/Russian way flash which wipes everything.

Step 1:
- Download (see attachment) P500-v10E-baseband.7z or P500-v20G-baseband.7z
- unzip it via 7-Zip

Do NOT proceed until you fully understand the following:

- P500-v20G-baseband.7z is for official v20[abdg....] ROMs and ROMs based upon it (e.g., GingerLOL, v20G stock ROM, customized v20G ROM, 0x0v3rfl0w ROM and GingerCriccoROM).
- P500-v10E-baseband.7z is for all other ROMs.

Step 2:
- Browse to the folder where you unpacked the 7z and run LGMDP-v1.5.exe
- Click Download in menu
- Select Port
- Choose your phone, click Connect
- Click Image Folder button, browse to the directory where you unpacked this
- Click OK about 3 times on the warnings
- Do NOT mess with anything else. Leave everything else as is.
- Close the window
- Click Download button
- Let it do the job. It will backup your IMEI and MACs to .NV2 file, reboot your phone to emergency mode, flash recovery, reboot and restore the NV2 backup.

MUSTREAD!!!

Do NOT interrupt it or disconnect your phone until it says "Download complete"! - Do NOT delete the NV2 backup!

I repeat, no matter what do NOT interrupt the process until the NV2 restore is complete. It will take some time after the first reboot. Even if your phone appears to be booting normally to the OS, do NOT interrupt the process and do NOT disconnect the USB cable until the NV2 is restored and phone rebooted once again and the utility says "Download complete"!

fastboot5.png
fastboot6.png
fastboot7.png
fastboot10.png

Step 3:

Congratulations. You are done! Now you can enjoy working GSM if you have installed the right baseband for your ROM. :p

Q: I am confused. Which baseband do I need?!?! I do not understand any of this!!!
A: Kindly re-read "Step 1: Do NOT proceed until you fully understand the following... " section. If you still do not understand after re-reading it a couple of times, then simply continue using your phone, do NOT flash anything and generally go on with your life. This guide is NOT for you. Kindly do NOT ask which baseband you should use here on the thread. The instructions will be updated if/when some ROM switches to the new v20g baseband by default.

Q: This appears dangerous. Is there an alternative for switching between ROMs based on LG's GB and others like CM7?
A: Life is dangerous. If you want to flash CM7-based ROM (like mik_os' CyanogenMod 7, andy572's Gingerbread ROM or Noejn's void. #forever) and have the new baseband already, there is a baseband fix by mik_os. However, due to a bug, data (2G/3G) unfortunately does not work at the moment. Wait for a new fix. If you have already flashed the mik's patch and want to undo it, flash REVERT-new-baseband-patch-signed.zip - you do not need to reflash the whole ROM. (Note: Only tested with mik's ROM! Do not complain if it does not work elsewhere.)

Q: But - I am a genius and came up with a better way to flash baseband! This one sucks!
A: If you come up with a way to flash the baseband via ZIP from recovery, kindly share it. :p

Q: My phone is not detected by the LGMDP-v1.5.exe utility! What to do?
A: Run devmgmt.msc (Device Manager), go to Ports (COM and LPT) and disable LGE Virtual Modem there. Disconnect and reconnect your phone and try again.

Q: I run the utility and the initial NV2 backup fails. What to do?
A: Disable the LGE virtual modem (see above), disconnect and reconnect the phone and try again. If it still fails, reboot your computer first before trying again. If it still fails, try to boot the phone to recovery (Home + VolDown + Power) or even emergency (Back + VolUp + Power) mode.

Q: Still have issues with phone not being detected or initial NV2 backup failing! Argh!
A: First of all, do NOT connect your phone to an USB hub with other devices connected! There will not be sufficient power for reliable phone connection. Otherwise, I would suggest trying this on another computer, or waiting for a better day. At minimum, clean all LGE drivers (set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES to 1 in your Windows environment (kindly Google it), in device manager enable "Show hidden devices", uninstall all Android/LGE-related drivers, reboot your computer, reinstall the drivers.) Then try again. Anything else - you are on your own with high chances of bricking your phone.

Q: How do I know it worked?
A: If everything worked, you will have a working GSM (calls, 2G/3G data) with the proper ROM installed.. On stock ROMs, you can check the baseband version via hidden LG menu. It will show AMSS6150 if you flashed v20G baseband. If you see AMSS6038, then you have a baseband from v20[ABCD...] versions. If you see anything else, you have a baseband from v10? ROM. LGMDP utility also shows which ROM version does the baseband come from (see screenshot attached). Note (CM7 users): V07u-000-000-MAR-23-2009 is NOT your baseband version but some irrelevant CM7 crap.

Q: I would like to flash a custom recovery at the same time (I am on stock unrooted ROM, or just want to switch to another one, or whatever). Do I need to flash twice?
A: No, absolutely not. You can just download the recovery of your choice, stick recovery.img to the same directory where you have unpacked the baseband and it will get picked up and flashed automagically by the LGMDP utility! Chances to brick your phone reduced by 50% this way! :cool:

Q: I am not a moron! Did everything right but still have no GSM! What gives?!
A: You need to flash the right ROM for your baseband. Have you done that already (see the "Do NOT proceed" section)? :p

Q: I screwed big time, did not read the instructions and I now have no IMEI!!!! No GSM!!!!! My phone is useless!!!! You suck!!!!
A: You did not delete the backup, did you? If not, you can try restoring it via the utility. Otherwise - congratulations, you are a proud owner of a shiny hi-tech brick now. Go to LG service center and tell them that Error ID-10-T occured when using the phone.

Attachments

• P500-v10E-baseband.7z
    7.1 MB · Views: 57,554
  • P500-v20G-baseband.7z
    7.1 MB · Views: 73,012
  • lg_v20g_baseband.png
    lg_v20g_baseband.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 15,650
  • lgmdp.jpg
    lgmdp.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 11,750
Last edited:
D

doktornotor

Do NOT proceed until you fully understand the following:

If you want to flash CM7-based ROM (like mik_os' CyanogenMod 7, andy572's Gingerbread ROM or Noejn's void. #forever) and have the new baseband already...

FAIL! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
D

doktornotor

I am asking what to flash to come back to cm? Because your thread starts with "for those who want to come back to cm".

Or vice versa. Look. If you do not understand the pretty much ID-10-T proof instructions, you simply do NOT flash anything. The instructions are explaining your question in great detail. If you are confused, get someone who understands English better to explain it to you. Read it AGAIN!!!

Similar noise is something that I will not tolerate on this thread. I have spent 1 hour of my time writing this howto (plus many more hours while testing this with different ROMs) and you come, fail at the first sentence and go flood this thread with completely ridiculous questions. For sure I am piss*d off like hell.

Last edited:

CtrlU

Dec 26, 2010
Or vice versa. Look. If you do not understand the pretty much ID-10-T proof instructions, you simply do NOT flash anything. The instructions are explaining your question in great detail. If you are confused, get someone who understands English better to explain it to you. Read it AGAIN!!!

Similar noise is something that I will not tolerate on this thread. I have spent 1 hour of my time writing this howto (plus many more hours while testing this with different ROMs) and you come, fail at the first sentence and go flood this thread with completely ridiculous questions. For sure I am piss*d off like hell.

LOL!! Life is tough mate!!! and this world isn't perfect either, :rolleyes:

Back on Topic .... Will try this out and post results

Thanks

Bytecode

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 30, 2010
/dev/null
Yo! Really needed this (for the N00B repo I mean :D)

BTW still playing around with RIL files for making Gingerbread work on froyo baseband :D

And I like ID-10-T hahaha :D

Last edited:
Reactions: aravindsagar

mprou

Mar 23, 2011
Athens
Doktornotor is doing exellent job by writing these guides especially this one. I hear many newbie people getting their phones bricked. It a very risky precedure so do be carefull. Follow the guides to the letter and only when you completely understand the whole precedure. Keep up the good work dok

onlymeipse

May 29, 2011
After the backup, my phone goes into emergency mode but the program keep saying checking and nothing happens...

Bytecode

Dec 30, 2010
/dev/null
D: stuck on LG logo if importing these ril files. BTW some files weren't already there :D

Lookin' into mik's fix,and taking libs' name from there yo ;)

BTW agree with mprou. Doktornotor is one of the best forum members ever ;)

Bytecode

Dec 30, 2010
/dev/null
And btw that v70u-000-MAR-23-2009 or whatever appears in Sense too :p

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Premium App

D

doktornotor

And btw that v70u-000-MAR-23-2009 or whatever appears in Sense too :p

For this baseband version detection, I tried to make LgHiddenMenu.apk work on CM7 and miserably failed... It really has useful **** incl. the HW tests but I fail with Java altogether (oh, I should have said that Java fails :p)

BTW, that v70u-000-MAR-23-2009 - I suspect that nonsense is hardcoded somewhere in the sources, makes zero sense.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    P-509 Old Baseband (v10S)

I've noticed that no one on these forums has ever posted the old baseband for us Optimus-T users who applied the new baseband but want to revert to the old baseband given that the old baseband fix is available (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35924286&postcount=2). I finally got around to doing extracting the old baseband files myself (with DZDecrypt) from the v10S KDZ and packaged them with the tool from this thread. This means that a full restore with the stock Froyo ROM is no longer necessary to get the old baseband. Just run the tool in my .zip as you would the tool in the original post to return to the old baseband and flash the old baseband fix to get compatibility with new baseband ROMS.

Will an admin or the OP please place my attachment in the original post so that us Optimus-T users no longer have to go the longer and more dangerous route of a full restore to get the old baseband? Attached is a screenshot of my phone with the old baseband running the Oxygen Gingerbread ROM.

Thanks!
    Reviving a dead P500!

Hi,
    I'd like to share my experience for those having problems with nv2.
    3 days ago, my Optimus One couldn't boot at all. The only working part was the Emergency Mode. KDZ couldn't fix this as it didn't recognize the chipset.
    I used LGDMP and upgraded to V20 Romania, but there was no signal. I figured out that the NV2 was gone! But the good point was that luckily I had backed up my NV2 a few months ago. But I couldn't restore it at all. LGDMP said: "NV2 file doesn't exist". Actually this file should be in a folder named as "_COM_6_". Notice that 6 is the COM port I used in my own PC. Yours might be different. Then create another folder having the same name as your IMEI and put _COM_6_ in it. For example: LGDMP/3540430**********/_COM_20_/NV_P500_20110808-212402.nv2
    But the point is that the NV2 can't be restored while the phone is connected to your PC in Emergency Mode. So all you have to do is to install a ROM, whatever it is (I used CM7), and enable USB Debugging, and then connect it to your PC. Now Open LGDMP and Select Port, and finally NV2 Restore.

I was happy I could bring my dead mobile phone back to life.

I hope this can help you.
    Hossein from Iran!
    Which file should i flash if i want to switch to cm7? If i have to flash p500 v20g baseband to get back to cm7, the name seems to be a misnomer.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk
    if I would like to perform only one new baseband upgrade.

is it follow the step to do for 20g baseband - it will done? don't even need to re-flash ROM or my custom rom will gone, and need install back the custom recovery, root access and flash new ROM ?

1) let say now i only want to upgrade to new baseband and maintain current gsnap v2.3 SE. how can i do that step by step?
    assuming now i had done with my nand backup ?

2nd question ) if i'm doing the [HOWTO] Flashing baseband (radio) via LGMDP.exe by doktornotor.
    after perform the step. do my custom recovery still there?

do i need to re-flash the the entire ROM?

i'm scare to brick my phone, some one can advice me?

thanks

1. follow the first post
    2. yes, recovery will still be there
    YOU CANNOT BRICK YOUR PHONE BY CHANGING BASEBAND
    Does anybody upgraded to 20H baseband which is the latest?if yes then what is the difference between 20G & 20H basebands???

yeah not much difference better 3g and gps lock other then this i didn't find any difference btw a nice battery backup in v20h

Press thanx if i helped you.. :D
    Sent from LG-P500 using xda premium