[HOWTO][GUIDE] Flash anything on G925F without tripping Knox

Search This thread

pmichaelro

Nov 25, 2008
How to Root your SM-G925F (International S6 Edge):

This should work on both 5.0.2 and 5.1.1. I have upgraded to 5.1.1 before doing this.
I recommend you hold off on this operation if your device is still running 5.0.2 and don't want to upgrade to 5.1.1.
If you want to keep 5.0.2 and still perform this operation than you must use a compatible 5.0.2 Kernel and TWRP - posted below.

WARNING: Because of the engineering bootloader which is 5.0.2 you're going to lose the Fingerprint scanner. If you can live without it then proceed.
Root without tripping Knox and having all the functionality (keeping the Fingerprint scanner working) on 5.1.1 is not possible.

Only for 5.1.1, custom kernel and TWRP for 5.0.2 posted below + also a different method for 5.0.2
1. Download ODIN v 3.10.6 from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2711451 and extract it to a folder.
2. Search online/PM me for the engineering bootloader for your device G925F
3. Download the 3 archives from: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s6-edge/development/twrp-recovery-2-8-7-1-g925f-android-5-1-t3144866
3.a.1 TWRP 2.8.7.1 for S6 Edge - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347765202
3.a.2 TWRP 2.8.7.1 for S6 - https://twrp.me/devices/samsunggalaxys6.html
3.b.1 Unikernel latest version - recommended kernel with so many benefits, now also working with devices that are using the enginnering bootloader (no need for 3.c. if choosing this kernel) - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=60533128
3.b.2 Alex-V Kernel - works on a G925F that has an engineering bootloader. All the other ones mess with the display in a way that you'll get a white screen with greenish non-understandable ui elements - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347765201
3.c. Super SU - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347765203
4. Disable Reactivation lock by going into Settings -> Lock screen and security -> Find My Mobile -> Login with your Samsung Account and then disable Reactivation lock
5. Disable Fingerprint screen lock type by going into Settings -> Lock screen and security -> Screen lock type and select any other screen type than Fingerprint
6. Copy to the your device's sdcard (phone): custom kernel and rest of downloaded files to flash
7. Shut down device and start in Download Mode (with the phone turned off keep pressing on power, volume down and home at the same time until a green screen pops up, then you'll need to press on the volume up key)
8. First you'll need to flash the engineering bootloader. Open ODIN and click on BT and select the appropriate sbin file downloaded at step 2. Flash it and wait for the device to reboot.
Don't be alarmed by the green text that will appear in the top left corner when the Samsung logo is being displayed. It's 100% normal and the device hasn't suffered any damage.
9. Enter Download Mode again and this time in ODIN, go to options and uncheck the Reboot device. Click on AP and select the TWRP 2.8.7.1 and flash it.
10. The device won't reboot because you've unchecked the Reboot device option. You'll need to press on power + volume down + home until the device turns off and then pres on power + volume up + home until you'll see the device enter the TWRP recovery. At that point the buttons can be released.
11. Inside TWRP press on Install and navigate to where you have stored the custom kernel and rest of the files. Select the custom kernel (then add another zip to flash and then select Super SU if using Alex-V kernel). Flash them and reboot your device.
12. Congratulations now you have a rooted G925F with Knox fuse intact!
13. You can now flash anything custom on your device without tripping Knox as long as you don't flash the bootloader with a stock one, you need to keep the engineering bootloader flashed.
If you want to return to stock at anytime you can flash a full stock ROM from Samsung and all should be fine. Knox isn't going to get tripped because everything is returning to stock, even the bootloader.
14. WARNING: Before flashing anything else after you've successfully acquired root you should backup your EFS partition just in case via TWRP recovery.

All credits for rooting and installing TWRP on G925F go to Alex-V, AndreiLux, simple Team, chainfire
The research on which kernel is going to root and work perfectly with a G925F that has an engineering bootloader installed go to me. A lot of trial and error, white & greenish screen, overheat etc...

If you have any questions post below.

Enjoy!

Custom Kernel and TWRP only for 5.0.2 - untested but should work
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s6-edge/development/28-04-2015-hybridmax-kernel-t3095373

Different workaroung for making it work for 5.0.2 users
If you're device is running 5.0.2 and it gets stuck on the Samsung screen, in order to fix it you'll need to flashed a stock 5.1.1 ROM then repeat the tutorial and all will work as expected with Knox being intact.

Device on which you can use the following custom ROM tutorial:
G925F 5.1.1 rooted with engineering bootloader

1. Download the 5.1.1 custom ROM you want
2.Download Unikernel or Alex-V's kernel
3.Copy to your device the files downloaded at 1 and 2
4.Boot your device into TWRP (recovery mode)
5.Flash the 5.1.1 custom ROM and the custom kernel. (you can select multiple things to flash one after another without rebooting the device afterwards)
6.After the ROM is flashed you'll need to continue the flashing procedure and not reboot the device until the custom kernel is also flashed
7.After the 2 packages have been flashed successfully you can reboot the device and enjoy your new rooted G925F running a custom ROM, custom Kernel and with your Knox intact.

Enjoy!
WARNING:
If you try to flash any other kernel, one that's not built specifically for G925F like Unikernel or Alex-V's you'll end up with a wrong TSP FW version, one that belongs to G920. Currently the only fix available for this issue is to use a specifically built kernel/stock kernel for G925F.
Here's what you're going to get after flashing any unified kernel (check via *#2663#)
Phone's TSP FW version: ST015681 - incorrect (G920)
Part's TSP FW version: ST0195E4 - correct (G925)
TSP threshold: 512
config tsp fw version: G920_ST_3A1F
tsp checksum data: 1B5C2E4D

Both Phone and Part have to have the same version, the correct one ST0195E4 for G925. If you try to use the TSP FW Update command you will make them both have the G920 TSP FW...so until a solution for this is found we cannot use any unified kernel while running the engineering bootloader.

Latest BOOTLOADER/MODEM/Stock-Kernel Packages for S6 G920F/I/T & S6 Edge G925F/I/T models
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60112855&postcount=3
- credit goes to @edgarf28

How to fix cm.bin flash failed - stuck in download mode
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s6/help/solved-stuck-download-mode-failed-odin-t3104736

Disclaimer: Proceed with extreme caution as I take no responsibility for any damages to your phone. Do it at your own risk

Screenshot_2015-07-19-01-22-13.pngScreenshot_2015-07-19-01-22-17.pngScreenshot_2015-07-19-01-22-21.png

Last edited:

ytwytw

Nov 15, 2008
Toronto, ON
Only F? No luck on W8 or A?
Does also engineering boot loader gives ability to reset knox too...?
I know Samsung service center can do it...
Or can we change the model with the engineering bootloader? (Aka switch W8 to F, T to A, others vise versa)
(Looking at HTC all series with S-OFF like god mode)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: cool2004

pmichaelro

Nov 25, 2008
Only F? No luck on W8 or A?
Does also engineering boot loader gives ability to reset knox too...?
I know Samsung service center can do it...
Or can we change the model with the engineering bootloader? (Aka switch W8 to F, T to A, others vise versa)
(Looking at HTC all series with S-OFF like god mode)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately only F and T have been leaked for both G920 & G925.
I don't know about resetting Knox. I am under the impressing that the Knox Fuse is a psihical hardware one and once it gets burnt there's no way going back.
Haven tried to change the model, I'm guessing you are referring to a deeper change, not only to what's displayed inside the About, which would be pretty hard without deep knowledge of how a Samsung phone knows what model it is.

Reactions: droidbits

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
if it was a fuse it woudnt come on S3/Note2 because these phones were built before knox was even announced, unless they had a spare efuse lying around in the phones just to activate it in near future....

eltoffer

Aug 17, 2012
Metepec
Hey is this a thread to promote Alex´s work? if so its fine, but i found that Aou kernel has a solution for the fingerprint issue on the Tmovile variants over the Unix kernel, am i wrong?

pmichaelro

Nov 25, 2008
Hey is this a thread to promote Alex´s work? if so its fine, but i found that Aou kernel has a solution for the fingerprint issue on the Tmovile variants over the Unix kernel, am i wrong?

Yes and no. It promotes the only combination that is available to have a rooted G925F with custom kernel, rom, Knox intact running 5.1.1. Aou is only available for G92xT. I'm not aware of any workaround to fix the fingerprint sensor on 5.1.1 while running on a 5.0.2 engineering bootloader.

Repulsa

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 3, 2010
Your Mom's crib

Enjoy!

Hi , i really want to try this one and im sure there's people out there willing to know aswell :) is there anyway you can provide us with screenshot of your phone version / rom and what is your current knox after doing this method :) ived been searching for an answer (Found only g925t) and i wanna make sure if it does work with F, so im still doing my research properly before attempting this . thank you

Last edited:

pmichaelro

Nov 25, 2008
Hi , i really want to try this one and im sure there's people out there willing to know aswell :) is there anyway you can provide us with screenshot of your phone version / rom and what is your current knox after doing this method :) ived been searching for an answer (Found only g925t) and i wanna make sure if it does work with F, so im still doing my research properly before attempting this . thank you

Added screenshots :)

Reactions: droidbits

eltoffer

Aug 17, 2012
Metepec
Hey buddy i know this is a stupid question but i don't know why hehe: if we root, and then flash the OEM sboot.bin and/or kernel we should keep the root, right? but we also recover the fingerprint sensor, or how it works?

pmichaelro

Nov 25, 2008
Hey buddy i know this is a stupid question but i don't know why hehe: if we root, and then flash the OEM sboot.bin and/or kernel we should keep the root, right? but we also recover the fingerprint sensor, or how it works?

If you don't want to trip Knox you first have to flash the engineering bootloader, this will make the fingerprint scanner to not work. Then you can flash any custom kernel/rom without tripping knox. If you flash the OEM bootloader but keep anything else custom flashed you will trip Knox. So it's up to you. Keep Knox intact, lose fingerprint scanner, enjoy root and customisation or keep everything stock or don't care about knox and flash anything you want.

Reactions: eltoffer

eltoffer

Aug 17, 2012
Metepec
If you don't want to trip Knox you first have to flash the engineering bootloader, this will make the fingerprint scanner to not work. Then you can flash any custom kernel/rom without tripping knox. If you flash the OEM bootloader but keep anything else custom flashed you will trip Knox. So it's up to you. Keep Knox intact, lose fingerprint scanner, enjoy root and customisation or keep everything stock or don't care about knox and flash anything you want.

Ok thanks for your PM reply, so lets get clear...

if you say fingerprint scanner issue is due to the sboot if i flash the stock 5.1.1 one over the root ONLY (everything else stock), am i going to trip knox? i do not think so, can't see why would it be so

pmichaelro

Nov 25, 2008

if you say fingerprint scanner issue is due to the sboot if i flash the stock 5.1.1 one over the root ONLY (everything else stock), am i going to trip knox? i do not think so, can't see why would it be so

I'll explain one more time.
You need to keep the engineering bootloader flashed at all times if you want to flash a custom kernel in order to get root and not trip Knox.
If you flash the engineering bootloader,then the kernel and then flash the stock bootloader back you are going to trip knox because you would be running a custom kernel. Is that more clear now?

eltoffer

Aug 17, 2012
Metepec
You need to keep the engineering bootloader flashed at all times if you want to flash a custom kernel in order to get root and not trip Knox.
If you flash the engineering bootloader,then the kernel and then flash the stock bootloader back you are going to trip knox because you would be running a custom kernel. Is that more clear now?
Ok maybe I explain myself in a wrong way

1.- flash sboot.bin 5.0.2
2.- flash twrp recovery
3.- flash SU.zip
4.- flash back stock recovery 5.1.1 (at this point we achieved root and an intacted Knox)
5.- flash back stock sboot.bin 5.1.1 (so here we recover the fingerprint scanner)

This is the way I think, where is the fail? Sorry if I'm an annoying guy XD

NOTE: I'm only concerning about getting root I don't care about custom roms or so, just root

Enviado desde mi S6 Edge Gold

Last edited:

pmichaelro

Nov 25, 2008
Ok maybe I explain myself in a wrong way

1.- flash sboot.bin 5.0.2
2.- flash twrp recovery
3.- flash SU.zip
4.- flash back stock recovery 5.1.1 (at this point we achieved root and an intacted Knox)
5.- flash back stock sboot.bin 5.1.1 (so here we recover the fingerprint scanner)

This is the way I think, where is the fail? Sorry if I'm an annoying guy XD

NOTE: I'm only concerning about getting root I don't care about custom roms or so, just root

You misses a step there. In order to get root you'll need to flash a custom kernel. That's a deal breaker if you want to keep root, knox intact and return to stock bootloader. You simply cannot have this combination.

Repulsa

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 3, 2010
Your Mom's crib
You misses a step there. In order to get root you'll need to flash a custom kernel. That's a deal breaker if you want to keep root, knox intact and return to stock bootloader. You simply cannot have this combination.

Hi i tested this on my s6 edge 5.0.2 stocked rooted rom (pingpong root), I follow the instruction , Got stuck after flashing the bootloader engineering (Green on top).Boot into download mode then i flash the twrp using odin (untick auto reboot) Turn off the device and trying to boot into recovery but to no avail (Power/Volup/home) ,Repeat the process atleast 3 times , Thats ok so i give up :) I tried flashing the Stock samsung firmware 5.0.2 using odin (Tested 3 times aswell its keep failing cm.bin or .mbn or something in odin ).

There you go No matter how many times i flashed the stock 5.0.2 via odin keep saying cm.bin .. FAIL .. so i had to flashed stocked 5.1.1 samsung firmware in order for the phone to boot but my knox still 0x0 and thats fine . Or i might did something wrong .. anyways no worries i did it before i send it to them to get a new replacement (DPixel) as long its still 0x0 :p and Thanks...

Last edited:

eltoffer

Aug 17, 2012
Metepec
Hi i tested this on my s6 edge 5.0.2 rooted using pingpong , I follow the instruction , Got stuck after flashing the bootloader engineering (Green on top).Boot into download mode then i flash the twrp using odin (untick auto reboot) Turn off the device and trying to boot into recovery but to no avail (Power/Volup/home) ,Repeat the process atleast 3 times , Thats ok so i give up :) I tried flashing the Stock samsung firmware 5.0.2 using odin (Tested 3 times aswell its keep failing cm.bin or .mbn or something in odin ).

There you go No matter how many times i flashed the stock 5.0.2 via odin keep saying cm .. FAIL .. so i had to flashed stocked 5.1.1 samsung firmware in order for my phone to boot. but my knox still 0x0 and thats fine . Or i might did something wrong .. anyways Ill test it out on 5.1.1 firmware later ;) Thanks tho...
This is because you already have 5.1.1 baseband installed, you can't downgrade that IMG

metuskale

Aug 3, 2010
Am I missing something?

I followed every step, and everything was successfull until the point I tried to flash xtroselite, once the flash is done, if the screen goes black i can not get it on anymore, just a white band in top. Any idea?
Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Salim09

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This should work on both 5.0.2 and 5.1.1. I have upgraded to 5.1.1 before doing this.
    I recommend you hold off on this operation if your device is still running 5.0.2 and don't want to upgrade to 5.1.1.
    If you want to keep 5.0.2 and still perform this operation than you must use a compatible 5.0.2 Kernel and TWRP - posted below.

WARNING: Because of the engineering bootloader which is 5.0.2 you're going to lose the Fingerprint scanner. If you can live without it then proceed.
    Root without tripping Knox and having all the functionality (keeping the Fingerprint scanner working) on 5.1.1 is not possible.

Only for 5.1.1, custom kernel and TWRP for 5.0.2 posted below + also a different method for 5.0.2
    1. Download ODIN v 3.10.6 from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2711451 and extract it to a folder.
    2. Search online/PM me for the engineering bootloader for your device G925F
    3. Download the 3 archives from: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s6-edge/development/twrp-recovery-2-8-7-1-g925f-android-5-1-t3144866
    3.a.1 TWRP 2.8.7.1 for S6 Edge - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347765202
    3.a.2 TWRP 2.8.7.1 for S6 - https://twrp.me/devices/samsunggalaxys6.html
    3.b.1 Unikernel latest version - recommended kernel with so many benefits, now also working with devices that are using the enginnering bootloader (no need for 3.c. if choosing this kernel) - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=60533128
    3.b.2 Alex-V Kernel - works on a G925F that has an engineering bootloader. All the other ones mess with the display in a way that you'll get a white screen with greenish non-understandable ui elements - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347765201
    3.c. Super SU - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347765203
    4. Disable Reactivation lock by going into Settings -> Lock screen and security -> Find My Mobile -> Login with your Samsung Account and then disable Reactivation lock
    5. Disable Fingerprint screen lock type by going into Settings -> Lock screen and security -> Screen lock type and select any other screen type than Fingerprint
    6. Copy to the your device's sdcard (phone): custom kernel and rest of downloaded files to flash
    7. Shut down device and start in Download Mode (with the phone turned off keep pressing on power, volume down and home at the same time until a green screen pops up, then you'll need to press on the volume up key)
    8. First you'll need to flash the engineering bootloader. Open ODIN and click on BT and select the appropriate sbin file downloaded at step 2. Flash it and wait for the device to reboot.
    Don't be alarmed by the green text that will appear in the top left corner when the Samsung logo is being displayed. It's 100% normal and the device hasn't suffered any damage.
    9. Enter Download Mode again and this time in ODIN, go to options and uncheck the Reboot device. Click on AP and select the TWRP 2.8.7.1 and flash it.
    10. The device won't reboot because you've unchecked the Reboot device option. You'll need to press on power + volume down + home until the device turns off and then pres on power + volume up + home until you'll see the device enter the TWRP recovery. At that point the buttons can be released.
    11. Inside TWRP press on Install and navigate to where you have stored the custom kernel and rest of the files. Select the custom kernel (then add another zip to flash and then select Super SU if using Alex-V kernel). Flash them and reboot your device.
    12. Congratulations now you have a rooted G925F with Knox fuse intact!
    13. You can now flash anything custom on your device without tripping Knox as long as you don't flash the bootloader with a stock one, you need to keep the engineering bootloader flashed.
    If you want to return to stock at anytime you can flash a full stock ROM from Samsung and all should be fine. Knox isn't going to get tripped because everything is returning to stock, even the bootloader.
    14. WARNING: Before flashing anything else after you've successfully acquired root you should backup your EFS partition just in case via TWRP recovery.

All credits for rooting and installing TWRP on G925F go to Alex-V, AndreiLux, simple Team, chainfire
    The research on which kernel is going to root and work perfectly with a G925F that has an engineering bootloader installed go to me. A lot of trial and error, white & greenish screen, overheat etc...

Enjoy!

Custom Kernel and TWRP only for 5.0.2 - untested but should work
    http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s6-edge/development/28-04-2015-hybridmax-kernel-t3095373

Different workaroung for making it work for 5.0.2 users
    If you're device is running 5.0.2 and it gets stuck on the Samsung screen, in order to fix it you'll need to flashed a stock 5.1.1 ROM then repeat the tutorial and all will work as expected with Knox being intact.

Device on which you can use the following custom ROM tutorial:
    G925F 5.1.1 rooted with engineering bootloader

1. Download the 5.1.1 custom ROM you want
    2.Download Unikernel or Alex-V's kernel
    3.Copy to your device the files downloaded at 1 and 2
    4.Boot your device into TWRP (recovery mode)
    5.Flash the 5.1.1 custom ROM and the custom kernel. (you can select multiple things to flash one after another without rebooting the device afterwards)
    6.After the ROM is flashed you'll need to continue the flashing procedure and not reboot the device until the custom kernel is also flashed
    7.After the 2 packages have been flashed successfully you can reboot the device and enjoy your new rooted G925F running a custom ROM, custom Kernel and with your Knox intact.

Enjoy!
    WARNING:
    If you try to flash any other kernel, one that's not built specifically for G925F like Unikernel or Alex-V's you'll end up with a wrong TSP FW version, one that belongs to G920. Currently the only fix available for this issue is to use a specifically built kernel/stock kernel for G925F.
    Here's what you're going to get after flashing any unified kernel (check via *#2663#)
    Phone's TSP FW version: ST015681 - incorrect (G920)
    Part's TSP FW version: ST0195E4 - correct (G925)
    TSP threshold: 512
    config tsp fw version: G920_ST_3A1F
    tsp checksum data: 1B5C2E4D

Both Phone and Part have to have the same version, the correct one ST0195E4 for G925. If you try to use the TSP FW Update command you will make them both have the G920 TSP FW...so until a solution for this is found we cannot use any unified kernel while running the engineering bootloader.

Latest BOOTLOADER/MODEM/Stock-Kernel Packages for S6 G920F/I/T & S6 Edge G925F/I/T models
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60112855&postcount=3
    - credit goes to @edgarf28

How to fix cm.bin flash failed - stuck in download mode
    http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s6/help/solved-stuck-download-mode-failed-odin-t3104736

Disclaimer: Proceed with extreme caution as I take no responsibility for any damages to your phone. Do it at your own risk

Screenshot_2015-07-19-01-22-13.pngScreenshot_2015-07-19-01-22-17.pngScreenshot_2015-07-19-01-22-21.png
    I managed to update my G925F stock COH2, with pmichaelro's engineering bootloader, TWRP and rooted with unikernel to stock COI9 without losing root nor knox 0x0.
    This is what I did:
    1) Downloaded latest firmware from sammobile (mine was G925FXXU3COI9_G925FITV3COI6_G925FXXU3COI9_HOME.tar.md5)
    2) Extracted the tar.md5 into an empty directory
    3) Deleted boot.img (I want to keep my unikernel!) and sboot.bin (I want, even more, to keep the engineering bootlader!)
    4) Created a new .tar file with the remaining files
    Code:
    tar --create --format=gnu -b20 --quoting-style=escape --owner=0 --group=0 --totals --mode=644  -f MYNEWROM.tar cache.img cm.bin hidden.img modem.bin recovery.img system.img
    5) Created the tar.md5 checksum for it
    Code:
    md5sum.exe -t MYNEWROM.tar >> MYNEWROM.tar
    and then renamed the file MYNEWROM.tar into MYNEWROM.tar.md5
    6) Entered the phone in download mode and flashed the newly created MYNEWROM.tar.md5 with Odin 3.10.7 (standard options)
    7) After the update completed I put the phone back in download mode to flash the TWRP recovery.
    That's all.
    Thanks for reading,
    Alex

Is it better for me to stay on 5.0.2 or upgrate to 5.1.1 before doing this stuff ?

envoyé depuis mon Galaxy S6 Edge

I recommend updating the device to 5.1.1 to resolve any conflicts others have faced.
    Ahh okay, thanks. No reason to stay stock rom then I guess. Time to see if there is some cool rom available. :)

You can actually install a Xposed module that will hide the fact that your device is rooted from the apps you whitelist.

Can anyone Pm me the engeniering Bl?Thanks :)
    I OP, can i have PM with bootloader for g920f? Thx you so much
    Hi pmichaelro, i need an engineering bootloader for my S6 G920F 5.1.1. That's possible ?

You all have PMs.