• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[HOWTO] HTC Explorer - Install RUU

Search This thread

raangu

Jun 1, 2010
Hong Kong
Reason for this guide:

I have tried to go back to RUU and doing this with the RUU applications didn't work, the installation always failed. Because of that I was a bit afraid never to be able to get back to stock / RUU again ;)

steps I did - i'm not sure if step 2 and 3 are necessary, but for me it worked like this ;)

!!!DO NOT RELOCK the bootloader before Step 4 - this will brick your phone!!!

1. download RUU for your device here (check your radio at top the bootloader menu)

2. extract the RUU rom from RUU application
start the ruu application, even if it fails. also start the flashing process, nothing will happen here. search for the ruu logs, for me at c:\ruu_log. in the log (for me in line 191) is the path to the rom.zip that should get flashed. something in temp folder... for me the line looks like this:
"<T093343><DEBUG><CMD>fastboot -s HT1BMVMXYZ flash zip C:\users\raangu\AppData\Local\Temp\{1235}\{12345}\rom.zip</CMD></DEBUG></T093343>"

3. flash the needed images
in the rom.zip you will find a boot_signed.img, a system.img and a recovery_signed.img. flash all these images with fastboot.

In command line:
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot_signed.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img

4. relock the bootloader
In command line:
fastboot oem lock

5. install with RUU application
now run the RUU application again and follow the instructions.

You are back on RUU now! :D

Last edited:

agv983

Aug 4, 2010
"3. flash the needed images
in the rom.zip you will find a boot_signed.img, a system.img and a recovery_signed.img. flash all these images with fastboot.

In command line:
fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img"

can u explain better this part...?? what does it mean "flash all these images with fastboot..??:confused:

P.S: i don't have any ROM.ZP file in my local\temp\ directory......only an empty directory....

Last edited:
Reactions: nitshanu

PaXGeN

Dec 8, 2011
Bari
What is your DeviceID?
I've the vodafone brand and the DevideID is "VODAP034".
I tried this guide to change ID but not work:
htcsensationforum.com/htc-sensation-rooting/general-changing-cid/
Any ideas?

THX Jaggy and Raangu :D

Last edited:

mmtrt

Feb 6, 2012
Khairpur Mir's
Thank you Raangu and jaggyjags for doing awesome job here.

I've questions regarding to RUU, if I want to flash RUU other then my device's Radio version or flash older RUU then my device's stock Rom,
will these brick my phone?

raangu

Jun 1, 2010
Hong Kong
"3. flash the needed images

In command line:
fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img"

can u explain better this part...?? what does it mean "flash all these images with fastboot..??:confused:

P.S: i don't have any ROM.ZP file in my local\temp\ directory......only an empty directory....

Hi agv983,

with "flash all these images with fastboot" I mean the lines below:

so you dont flash these things with cwm or something else. you do it with fastboot in command line.

did you take a look in the ruu_log? the path is written there.

raangu

Jun 1, 2010
Hong Kong
Thank you Raangu and jaggyjags for doing awesome job here.

I've questions regarding to RUU, if I want to flash RUU other then my device's Radio version or flash older RUU then my device's stock Rom,
will these brick my phone?

Hi mmtrt,

I can't tell if it bricks your phone, but there are several RUUs for different Radio versions available. thought for each Radio there is also a RUU...

ateeq72

Dec 28, 2011
Chennai
?????????

i did everything just the way you said but even after doing that i cant flash ma phone using RUU file "RUU_Pico_HTC_Europe_1.28.401.1_Radio_10.35d.80.09H_1.11.82.17_release_230964_signed" !!!!....
Ma bootloader details are :

"*** UNLOCKED ***
PICO PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.03.0000
RADIO-1.11.82.17
Nov 29 2011,17:10:06 "

and yes i seriously wanna remove that "*** UNLOCKED ***" So that ma warranty doesnt go !!!!!! will this flashing remove that tooo??!!!!

And ma software no. is 1.31.720.3

can u post a link to RUU of above specification? !! :(
please reply soon!!!! :(

Last edited:

jaggyjags

Dec 8, 2011
Murcia
Hello there raangu,
i followed the steps in installing RUU , now i can not start my phone it is looping and i did everything and i can not get into recovery mode in my htc phone there is a phone icon and a red exclamation mark , please help me fix this i have no money to buy another phone please help me you are only expert in htc explorer and my only hope. please please

lol, dont worry, reflash the recovery as you did in the tutorial when rooting and install another rom

som_888

May 13, 2011
thanks raangu and jaggyjags for all the stuff u have been providing.....just wanted to ask some questions...
1)can i flash recovery_signed.img of other software version to my current version i.e. can i flash 1.10.720.2 recovery_signed.img to 1.13.720.3 to remove the chinese custom recovery which i have flashed....(i have not flashed any custom rom)
2)and when flashing as per the 1st post do i have to do a factory reset before the process to write the image file...please help....
3) does nandroid backup include the stock recovery file....please reply
thank you
@raangu i found the version of ruu required for me,i got the info in settings-->about phone-->software version.
please help....thank you...

Last edited:

som_888

May 13, 2011
I'm getting the log file but there isn't any zip.rom in the log file.

Any ideas?

try this instead
1. Download the RUU.
2. Open the RUU exe file, and proceed until you get to the page which says 'View Readme'. At that point, stop.
3. Go to your TEMP folder (on Windows 7 it'll be something like : C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp
4. Look for folders that have lots of characters in that format: "{XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX}". One of the folders will contain two files, and another folder with the same "{XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX}" format. Open that folder.
5. In there, you will see either rom.zip or firmware.zip (depending on the device).

Reactions: ajay7979

angeldebby

Apr 12, 2012
:(:( i don't understand this step
---- 2. extract the RUU rom from RUU application----

where i can find the RUU application??

PS: my phone is: HTC EXPLORER with jaggyrom, and i'd return to my stock rom.
i've downloaded my stock rom following this discussion--- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1569430
because your download link page wasn't running to me, but i think that roms are the same.

thnx

Last edited:

prateek.maac

Jul 2, 2008
mumbai
A total successful unrooting and reverting to stock

Warning dont flash any other rom before this step in order to retain factory status you have to maintain the default rom on which rooting was done

for those who want to revert to stock from jaggy or any other make a clockwork backup of your stock rom even if it is rooted

Step 1 : if you have messed up in previous posts by our friend dont be alarmed

make sure you have clockwork mod of your original rom backed up in sd card or in the computer copied from sd card

to do this go to the recovery option choose backup and restore in this select restore and select the backup you did with your stock rom

Step 2 : download these files ( also noted in my system the android sdk was in c drive root as c:\Android else make a fresh installation of the android sdk ) GIVEN BELOW AT THE END OF POST

Step 3 : on c drive paste these files in c:\Android ( if file not there in pc install sdk in this folder ) now open cmd from start menu

Step 4 : Execute commands
cd c:\Android

(fastbooting system .img mentioned in previous post is not required as it will conflict with the hboot and it too tiresome to get the sock back)

Final step : now with the stock boot and recovery of htc default signed just restart your cell phone and got to settings > storage >factory reset

Ta da your phone is unrooted now for the grand finale lock the HBOOT

execute command : fastboot oem lock

to lock the boot loader

now it will show relocked now at this stage if you got your factory default ruu matched with the software version of your phone in my case it was

V1.31.728.1

then flash that ruu and vola your phone is crystal clear no hboot relocked or no rooting ever shown.

Try it and press thanks if liked

Last edited:

BeeJayFL

Jul 12, 2010
Aabenraa
I dont get this, sorry...
I have stock scandinavian rom on my Explorer, and I want to flash an european rom instead.
Ive go the European RUU, but for gods sake I cant get it installed...

I dont want to brick my girlfriends phone, its 1 month old, and I dont want to fiddle with too much.

Is there any way to simply flash the RUU with the bootloader?

sunny04

Apr 22, 2012
Andhra Pradesh
Warning dont flash any other rom before this step in order to retain factory status you have to maintain the default rom on which rooting was done

for those who want to revert to stock from jaggy or any other make a clockwork backup of your stock rom even if it is rooted

make sure you have clockwork mod of your original rom backed up in sd card or in the computer copied from sd card

to do this go to the recovery option choose backup and restore in this select restore and select the backup you did with your stock rom

Step 2 : download these files ( also noted in my system the android sdk was in c drive root as c:\Android else make a fresh installation of the android sdk ) GIVEN BELOW AT THE END OF POST

Step 3 : on c drive paste these files in c:\Android ( if file not there in pc install sdk in this folder ) now open cmd from start menu

(fastbooting system .img mentioned in previous post is not required as it will conflict with the hboot and it too tiresome to get the sock back)

Final step : now with the stock boot and recovery of htc default signed just restart your cell phone and got to settings > storage >factory reset

to lock the boot loader

now it will show relocked now at this stage if you got your factory default ruu matched with the software version of your phone in my case it was

V1.31.728.1

then flash that ruu and vola your phone is crystal clear no hboot relocked or no rooting ever shown.

could you direct me to the link. where you found the ruu v1.31.728.1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Reason for this guide:

I have tried to go back to RUU and doing this with the RUU applications didn't work, the installation always failed. Because of that I was a bit afraid never to be able to get back to stock / RUU again ;)

steps I did - i'm not sure if step 2 and 3 are necessary, but for me it worked like this ;)

!!!DO NOT RELOCK the bootloader before Step 4 - this will brick your phone!!!

1. download RUU for your device here (check your radio at top the bootloader menu)

2. extract the RUU rom from RUU application
    start the ruu application, even if it fails. also start the flashing process, nothing will happen here. search for the ruu logs, for me at c:\ruu_log. in the log (for me in line 191) is the path to the rom.zip that should get flashed. something in temp folder... for me the line looks like this:
    "<T093343><DEBUG><CMD>fastboot -s HT1BMVMXYZ flash zip C:\users\raangu\AppData\Local\Temp\{1235}\{12345}\rom.zip</CMD></DEBUG></T093343>"

3. flash the needed images

In command line:

4. relock the bootloader
    In command line:
    fastboot oem lock

5. install with RUU application
    now run the RUU application again and follow the instructions.

You are back on RUU now! :D
    A total successful unrooting and reverting to stock

to lock the boot loader

V1.31.728.1

Without an appropriate ruu, my phone just won't relock.

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using xda app-developers app
    hi
    chek the link given below maybe ur ruu is their
    link : http://goo.im/stock/pico/ruu
    Got back to stock is this right

hi
    i wanted to see if i can get back to stock rom and recovery i did this
    1. flashed the stock rom given by jaggy via CWM(thanks to him)
    2. used the tools in the below link given by prateek.maac(thanks to him)

this link : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=26928420&postcount=1

a. used the unroot tool it worked phone got un rooted super U removed
    b. used stock recovery.bat from pc it worked
    note : both of the above to be done with phone in fastboot USB mode

ie i got my stock recovery and got my contacts back and i tried factry/data rest it also worked

i dont have warranty as mine is over by beginning next month so i wasnt worried about warranty so i did not do the relock
    my idea was just to see if i can get back to stock in case i want to buy a new phone ie exchange it at the mobile shop and all the above worked for me

this is just FYI in case any one needs to get back to stock :D
    hope it helps:D

i think this is right if not kindly advise :confused::D
    Hello there raangu,
    i followed the steps in installing RUU , now i can not start my phone it is looping and i did everything and i can not get into recovery mode in my htc phone there is a phone icon and a red exclamation mark , please help me fix this i have no money to buy another phone please help me you are only expert in htc explorer and my only hope. please please

lol, dont worry, reflash the recovery as you did in the tutorial when rooting and install another rom