• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

Howto: Load International Mate 8 Software on Chinese Mate 8.

duraaraa

This is a very simple guide to load the International (NXT-L29) software onto the Chinese version (I have NXT-AL10 with 128GB and it works for me.) Please try at your own risk. If anything goes wrong you can always do the Wifi recovery.

Prerequisites:
Bootloader Unlocked.
Fastboot, ADB, Drivers (I can't do a tutorial for this, please google for how to get these set up.)

Files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B79PB4FhWfJAVXpUaGpmS3pyd28/view?usp=sharing

You should get a RAR file with a bunch of IMG files. These are extracted from NXT-L29_C900B133_Firmware_global_Nonspecific_Android6.0_EMUI4.0_05013HRE

Boot the phone into fastboot mode, using ADB or holding power+volume down.

Run the following fastboot commands:
fastboot flash cache (PATH-TO)cache.img
fastboot flash cust (PATH-TO)cust.img
fastboot flash system (PATH-TO)system.img
fastboot flash userdata (PATH-TO)userdata.img

If everything went well, everything will work when you boot it up.
It cost me $20 to download the firmware from an unscrupulous Iranian site, but I pass along the gains to everyone at no charge :)

Differences from the Chinese version:
1. Google apps and services.
2. Voice wakeup is no longer very powerful. If you speak Chinese, you can ask the Chinese version of HiVoice the weather, play music, etc. The International (English) version only lets you make calls and find your phone, so it's less useful.
3. Missing various Chinese apps.

For me, in a lot of ways the Chinese version is better. It makes me want to learn Chinese so I can have some hands-free assistant compatibility :p But things like Google Now on Tap are working in the International version, so it's useful in its own ways as well.

UPDATE: Wifi restore might not necessarily work to revert to Chinese firmware. So please be very careful. I was able to revert by using flashboot to put back the Chinese firmware, then using the wifi restore once my device was recognized as NXT-AL10 again.

Last edited:

[email protected]

May 22, 2010
This is a very simple guide to load the International (NXT-L29) software onto the Chinese version (I have NXT-AL10 with 128GB and it works for me.) Please try at your own risk. If anything goes wrong you can always do the Wifi recovery.

Prerequisites:
Bootloader Unlocked.
Fastboot, ADB, Drivers (I can't do a tutorial for this, please google for how to get these set up.)

Files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B79PB4FhWfJAVXpUaGpmS3pyd28/view?usp=sharing

You should get a RAR file with a bunch of IMG files. These are extracted from NXT-L29_C900B133_Firmware_global_Nonspecific_Android6.0_EMUI4.0_05013HRE

Boot the phone into fastboot mode, using ADB or holding power+volume down.

Run the following fastboot commands:
fastboot flash cache (PATH-TO)cache.img
fastboot flash cust (PATH-TO)cust.img
fastboot flash system (PATH-TO)system.img
fastboot flash userdata (PATH-TO)userdata.img

If everything went well, everything will work when you boot it up.
It cost me $20 to download the firmware from an unscrupulous Iranian site, but I pass along the gains to everyone at no charge :)

Differences from the Chinese version:
1. Google apps and services.
2. Voice wakeup is no longer very powerful. If you speak Chinese, you can ask the Chinese version of HiVoice the weather, play music, etc. The International (English) version only lets you make calls and find your phone, so it's less useful.
3. Missing various Chinese apps.

For me, in a lot of ways the Chinese version is better. It makes me want to learn Chinese so I can have some hands-free assistant compatibility [emoji14] But things like Google Now on Tap are working in the International version, so it's useful in its own ways as well.
You can use google now/ now on tabfor weather, whatsapp and and calls.

duraaraa

You can use google now/ now on tabfor weather, whatsapp and and calls.
Only if you unlock the phone first, though. For example, when I'm going to sleep and I have the phone nearby, I might ask the weather for the next day, etc. If I theoretically spoke Chinese well enough to do that, I could :p
I can use the voice assistant to wake the phone, then use "Ok Google" to activate google now, but google now's voice response only works if the phone has no lockscreen set. I have no idea why.

jbmc83

Oct 12, 2011
Singapore
hey duraaraa, so u managed to get to those firmwares after all, congratz! and big big thanks for making it available free of charge, kudos for taking one for the community! much appreciated :)

so hey, questions: did u notice any difference between the two firmwares concerning the ubiquituous notification issue? and why did u flash right back to the chinese firmware? are u so set on learning chinese? haha ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

[email protected]

May 22, 2010
Only if you unlock the phone first, though. For example, when I'm going to sleep and I have the phone nearby, I might ask the weather for the next day, etc. If I theoretically spoke Chinese well enough to do that, I could [emoji14]
I can use the voice assistant to wake the phone, then use "Ok Google" to activate google now, but google now's voice response only works if the phone has no lockscreen set. I have no idea why.
Ah okay, didn't know about the lockscreen issue with google now.
Maybe a 3 party lockscreen app can solve the problem.

duraaraa

THANK YOU!

Upgrade to my AL10/64GB works, i´ll give it a try because the original FW still got issues with push/google gcm apps, even with root...
It will not fix push messages. The push messages issue can be fixed with Doze settings or by disabling Phone Manager. But please note, you can't fix the push messages by installing this. I tried and failed :p

Reactions: jbmc83

duraaraa

hey duraaraa, so u managed to get to those firmwares after all, congratz! and big big thanks for making it available free of charge, kudos for taking one for the community! much appreciated :)

so hey, questions: did u notice any difference between the two firmwares concerning the ubiquituous notification issue? and why did u flash right back to the chinese firmware? are u so set on learning chinese? haha ;)

The reason is the Chinese firmware has more unique Huawei features. Feels like (although Google stuff got added) more got taken out than was added, and I can add the Google stuff myself, to the Chinese ROM.
The permission manager also became Google's version (I somewhat preferred Huawei's version), and there just didn't seem to be any reason to stay on the international firmware. The only thing I could think of is if I could somehow use international modem to enable Band 28 for Japan where I am currently, but since Band 1 and 3 are covered, I'm generally okay in that regard too.
As for learning Chinese to use the HiVoice assistant, I think it would be very fun to learn enough to communicate with my phone :p
To be clear, notification issues are exactly the same on Chinese and on International ROMS. Please don't get your hopes up :( You can fix them with Doze settings editor, though, on either.

Reactions: jbmc83 and fvdiaz

thomascook

Aug 8, 2011
To be clear, notification issues are exactly the same on Chinese and on International ROMS. Please don't get your hopes up
... yup ... damn!

I noticed that the file manager is missing on the internal rom. The yellow Pages App was removed and unlinked to the "call" app, so you won´t get any chinese numbers as recommendation if you start dail a number.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

*** ROOT ***

i tried rooting the Mate8 with International (NXT-L29) Rom successfully. After setting up the device with the files from International rom, i sent it to twrp with the Mate8 root tool. On exit custom recovery, you may choose to install superSU script. After reboot into normal mode, superSU script appears on the screen and can be used to auto-Install SuperSU (again via twrp, but automatic mode).

haiau

Feb 20, 2010
The reason is the Chinese firmware has more unique Huawei features. Feels like (although Google stuff got added) more got taken out than was added, and I can add the Google stuff myself, to the Chinese ROM.
The permission manager also became Google's version (I somewhat preferred Huawei's version), and there just didn't seem to be any reason to stay on the international firmware. The only thing I could think of is if I could somehow use international modem to enable Band 28 for Japan where I am currently, but since Band 1 and 3 are covered, I'm generally okay in that regard too.
As for learning Chinese to use the HiVoice assistant, I think it would be very fun to learn enough to communicate with my phone :p
To be clear, notification issues are exactly the same on Chinese and on International ROMS. Please don't get your hopes up :( You can fix them with Doze settings editor, though, on either.
@duraaraa Can you post Contacts.apk of international rom, I hate some chinese yellow page

mscion

Jul 26, 2011
North Potomac
@duraaraa Thanks for your efforts! I do not own a Mate 8. Still deciding between Mate 8, Blue XL pure and the new Letv Le Max Pro (which isn't out yet).
I also admire your willingness to learn Chinese to take advantage of some of the Mate 8 features! I was wondering, on the international version, is recovery in English?

jbmc83

Oct 12, 2011
Singapore
true, good point, recovery in english would be another argument to switch to the international rom :) i guess im gonna take my time and check both the original chinese and the international rom, see which one serves my needs best :) just several days to go now, my mate 8 should be arriving next week :)

RedCriwx

Jul 18, 2010
Seville
true, good point, recovery in english would be another argument to switch to the international rom :) i guess im gonna take my time and check both the original chinese and the international rom, see which one serves my needs best :) just several days to go now, my mate 8 should be arriving next week :)

Hi,

How do you guys do to flash the chinese rom back? The one I dowloaded here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/mate-8/orig-development/huawei-mate-8-stock-firmware-t3289603 has nothe same "img" format.

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks.

duraaraa

Reactions: RedCriwx

duraaraa

I would like to note that I have not been able to successfully get notifications working with the screen off (in doze IDLE state) with the international rom, regardless of doze settings. I'm working to figure out the root of the notifications issue. It looks like despite the timer, the phone never goes from IDLE to IDLE_MAINTENANCE in both the latest Chinese version and in the international version I posted in this thread. When I find the answers (I'm currently testing with an older Chinese version I had notifications working on before) I will let everyone know!
EDIT: I made a post about this, so please refer to it. If anyone can help me figure out why these phones (except for one firmware version) don't get out of IDLE when they're supposed to, we can solve this for everyone :)

Last edited:

raimondomartire

Nov 9, 2005
Salerno
I would like to note that I have not been able to successfully get notifications working with the screen off (in doze IDLE state) with the international rom, regardless of doze settings. I'm working to figure out the root of the notifications issue. It looks like despite the timer, the phone never goes from IDLE to IDLE_MAINTENANCE in both the latest Chinese version and in the international version I posted in this thread. When I find the answers (I'm currently testing with an older Chinese version I had notifications working on before) I will let everyone know!
EDIT: I made a post about this, so please refer to it. If anyone can help me figure out why these phones (except for one firmware version) don't get out of IDLE when they're supposed to, we can solve this for everyone :)

@duraaraa Can you share all update.app. I'm building a tool for Mate 8. Until now I've twrp in english and a new method for root without decrypt boot.img. I want verify boot.img but in your file only 4 partition. If you want you can contact me in PM

Reactions: duraaraa and jbmc83

duraaraa

@duraaraa Can you share all update.app. I'm building a tool for Mate 8. Until now I've twrp in english and a new method for root without decrypt boot.img. I want verify boot.img but in your file only 4 partition. If you want you can contact me in PM
Of course I'm happy to help.
Because I have it, I'll put L09 model's full firmware as well.

L09:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B79PB4FhWfJALU03NFpEckNrSnM/view?usp=sharing
L29:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B79PB4FhWfJAUHE0SW9yWC1ZRHc/view?usp=sharing

Reactions: popcity

jbmc83

Oct 12, 2011
Singapore
wish i could provide some input here as well, still several days to go though... ill keep following u guys here until then ;)

duraaraa

wish i could provide some input here as well, still several days to go though... ill keep following u guys here until then ;)

You know... the notifications issue is a big problem. I'd almost recommend not buying the phone for that. Otherwise it's a great phone, though.
It's just a really messy situation with the firmware differences :p

raimondomartire

Nov 9, 2005
Salerno
Last edited: