[HOWTO]Make Spotify cache offline playlists to SD card

Search This thread

WarCow

Feb 7, 2011
As of the newest Spotify version (0.5.12.52) the app has a built-in (yet hidden) feature of saving playlists to SD card:

• Go to Settings and in the bottom select to "Delete cache and saved data". You will be logged out.
  • Log in again and go to Settings and set Download/Stream Quality to "Extreme Quality"
  • Download your playlists and they will be saved to SD card.

Thanks to user nomadjr for the info :)

Source: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Hel...w-save-to-external-SD-card/td-p/46803/page/60

The old version of the "hack" which is no longer needed:

Code:
[COLOR="Red"]The old version of the "hack" which is no longer needed:[/COLOR] Found this info on the Spotify forums and thought I'd share it with you guys. It enables Spotify to save your downloaded/offline playlists to your external SD card without using any other apps such as DirectoryBind and Apps2SD and whatever.

Basically you install a previous version of Spotify which supported selecting SD storage (no idea why this feature was removed!) and then upgrading to the latest version while keeping that feature intact.

[LIST]
[*]1. Uninstall Spotify and check that the Spotify folder in sdcard/Android/data has been removed.
[*]2. Install the old version of Spotify from [URL="http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64njb8peymtkawn"]here[/URL]
[*]3. Start the app and don't log in (if you are logged in auto, log out) and press the menu button and select the SD storage option.
[*]4. Change the standard location to /mnt/extSdCard or /storage/extSdCard and then log in (if it bugs when you log in, just exit the app and try again)
[*]5. Select a single playlist to download/offline play and let it finish downloading before you go to the next step. Don't download all your music here, just a little playlist with a few songs is enough.
[*]6. Go to the Play Store and update the Spotify app to the newest version. 
[*]7. Now enable Extreme Quality in the new Spotify app and begin downloading all your play lists :) Provided you did everything correctly, Spotify will now save all offline/downloaded music to the external SD card now until you uninstall the app (unknown if future updates will break this feature)
[/LIST]
Check via your file browser that Spotify is indeed saving to the external SD before downloading your entire collection :p If it's not saving to the SD card, the path to the SD card you typed is probably wrong..check it again.

All credits go to: 
Chr1212 @ [url]http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Samsung-Galaxy-S3/td-p/82955[/url]
neo-x @ [url]http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/REQUEST-Previous-version-of-the-client-APK/m-p/79997#M4161[/url]

Last edited:

daveph85

Nov 6, 2012
This worked for me too! Thanks for info.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

y3sh

Dec 16, 2012
Thanks! Works great on Razr M running Jelly Bean.

One added note:
I used /storage/sdcard1 as the location.

I found this by going to Files > selecting a file on the SD card, viewing details, and finding the path there.

WarCow

Feb 7, 2011
Thanks! Works great on Razr M running Jelly Bean.

One added note:
I used /storage/sdcard1 as the location.

I found this by going to Files > selecting a file on the SD card, viewing details, and finding the path there.

Cool..glad you found it useful :)
Yeah, the actual path to the SD card probably varies on different devices.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Cygnusa

Dec 24, 2012
I get a loop

Hi, it doesn't work for me! After I have set the location for the offlinefiles i choose login and get a warning message about data transfer, that keeps coming back all over again like a loop! Any suggestions?

goateye

Jun 22, 2010
Hi, it doesn't work for me! After I have set the location for the offlinefiles i choose login and get a warning message about data transfer, that keeps coming back all over again like a loop! Any suggestions?

Works great for me!
Loop issue when trying to log in eith the old version but at least able to set correct location!

Force close the app, update at Google Play and there you go!

AcousticD

Sep 13, 2012
Worked for my on my S3 with 4.1. Thanks so much for posting this thread; it just opened up 4gb of storage on my phone. The only issue I had was that the app would crash as soon as I opened it, but as long as you set the storage path before it still works.

WarCow

Feb 7, 2011

Try force closing it and try again. Or just reboot and try again. Might take a few tries since the old Spotify probably isn't so compatible with Android 4.1.2 :)

Cygnusa

Dec 24, 2012
Ok thanks. How ever when I look in the app menu it says the llarge amount of data for the app is stored in the cache... So I guess it didn't work for me...

WarCow

Feb 7, 2011
Ok thanks. How ever when I look in the app menu it says the llarge amount of data for the app is stored in the cache... So I guess it didn't work for me...

Okay, that's strange. Also double check that you are using the correct path to the SD card with a file manager app like Root Explorer or something. The standard one i wrote in the post may not work for everyone

FinGerS o FuDgE

Jul 21, 2012
London, U.K
Is this still working?

Can't believe that Spotify haven't officially fixed this issue yet! Going to try this tonight once @ home on my Wifi connection.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

Just tried this by creating a playlist with a couple of songs in it to save on data and I think it has worked lol?
Which folder would the music now be stored in on the ext SD card? Checked in the Internal storage>Android>Data folder and the Spotify folder isn't in there as expected if being stored on extSD, but I can't find it's location on the extSD either :p :p

FinGerS o FuDgE

Jul 21, 2012
London, U.K
Can confirm this works fine. Had the old apk crash a few times, just kept restarting it and used the force stop in app settings. Now have a lovely 29GB to fill up with some awesome tuneage!
Thanks OP :good:

Last edited:

dmbardal

This is great and all.. BUT
Yes, there is a but ..

I want extreme quality when I sync.
This is not possible on the old spotify-app.
Is this even doable?
Can you update to the newest spotify-app after syncing,
then turn on extreme quality on the newest and get extreme quality on the SD-Card ?

FinGerS o FuDgE

Jul 21, 2012
London, U.K
This is great and all.. BUT
Yes, there is a but ..

I want extreme quality when I sync.
This is not possible on the old spotify-app.
Is this even doable?
Can you update to the newest spotify-app after syncing,
then turn on extreme quality on the newest and get extreme quality on the SD-Card ?

I'll take a look at the file size if possible.
As soon as I updated back to the 'new' version of Spotify, I set the download to 'Extreme Quality' and then downloaded another couple of songs.

Anyone know the average size of Extreme Quality file as compared to a normal or high file?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of the newest Spotify version (0.5.12.52) the app has a built-in (yet hidden) feature of saving playlists to SD card:

• Go to Settings and in the bottom select to "Delete cache and saved data". You will be logged out.
    • Log in again and go to Settings and set Download/Stream Quality to "Extreme Quality"
    • Download your playlists and they will be saved to SD card.

Thanks to user nomadjr for the info :)

Source: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Hel...w-save-to-external-SD-card/td-p/46803/page/60

The old version of the "hack" which is no longer needed:

Code:
    [COLOR="Red"]The old version of the "hack" which is no longer needed:[/COLOR] Found this info on the Spotify forums and thought I'd share it with you guys. It enables Spotify to save your downloaded/offline playlists to your external SD card without using any other apps such as DirectoryBind and Apps2SD and whatever.

Basically you install a previous version of Spotify which supported selecting SD storage (no idea why this feature was removed!) and then upgrading to the latest version while keeping that feature intact.

[LIST]
    [*]1. Uninstall Spotify and check that the Spotify folder in sdcard/Android/data has been removed.
    [*]2. Install the old version of Spotify from [URL="http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64njb8peymtkawn"]here[/URL]
    [*]3. Start the app and don't log in (if you are logged in auto, log out) and press the menu button and select the SD storage option.
    [*]4. Change the standard location to /mnt/extSdCard or /storage/extSdCard and then log in (if it bugs when you log in, just exit the app and try again)
    [*]5. Select a single playlist to download/offline play and let it finish downloading before you go to the next step. Don't download all your music here, just a little playlist with a few songs is enough.
    [*]6. Go to the Play Store and update the Spotify app to the newest version. 
    [*]7. Now enable Extreme Quality in the new Spotify app and begin downloading all your play lists :) Provided you did everything correctly, Spotify will now save all offline/downloaded music to the external SD card now until you uninstall the app (unknown if future updates will break this feature)
    [/LIST]
    Check via your file browser that Spotify is indeed saving to the external SD before downloading your entire collection :p If it's not saving to the SD card, the path to the SD card you typed is probably wrong..check it again.

All credits go to: 
    Chr1212 @ [url]http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Samsung-Galaxy-S3/td-p/82955[/url]
    neo-x @ [url]http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/REQUEST-Previous-version-of-the-client-APK/m-p/79997#M4161[/url]
    Thats a nice catch dude, nice one

I assume its working perfect as no-one has commented yet...lovely!
    Thats a nice catch dude, nice one

I assume its working perfect as no-one has commented yet...lovely!

Thx. Hehe probably or they're using one of the mods for having all apps on the ext SD :)

If it's anything like Spotify on the PC, the files stored don't correspond to the songs on a 1:1 basis, so that you can't just convert the files to mp3 or something.

The downloaded songs are stored with the pieces mixed up in various files, I think mainly to make it harder to hack. So probably the best way to find out how much data is taken up per song, you'd find the amount of data taken up and divide it by the number of songs. Although unless all your songs are roughly the same length, this'll be pretty inaccurate.

Also, when I've done this method, I've not downloaded anything in the "old" spotify app, just changed the SD location, tried to log in, then updated the app. All has worked perfectly for me!
    New Spotify Version Saves to SD Card...

After having tried the instructions in the OP, I kept getting a sync error after upgrading to the newest version, so I researched the SD issue a bit more, and found on the Spotify boards that the newest version (0.5.12.52) saves playlists to ext. SD card, but in order to enable this, you need to do the following:

1. Go Into Settings
    2. Press Delete Cashe and Saved Data (forcing you to logout)
    3. Once deleting complete, log back in, set Download Quality to "Extreme" and enjoy your music being saved to the SD Card.

source: New-Android-app-preview-save-to-external-SD-card