[HOWTO][PICTURE GUIDE]Update your firmware using KDZ Updater

Search This thread

nikhil4186

Apr 2, 2011
Manipal, Karnataka
Since most of all are newbs and don't want to get into all the android jargon I created a small tutorial from all the existing ones.
Q: What is this tutorial meant to do?
A: Help you to update/flash official firmware on your phone [helpful for those with slow or no internet connection]

So first off all you need to download the following files.
KDZ updater

LG official firmware android version v2.2.2 build v10E created by VIjayKumar
A major part of the procedure is created by victortangocharlie, rest edited by me :) (pictures etc)
victortangocharlie and edited by nikhil4186 said:
Procedure to install original firmware using KDZ-FW-UPD.exe ( KDZ FIRMWARE UPDATER )

[Note: This procedure was used to install V10E_00.kdz(android2.2.2) over V10b_00.kdz(android2.2) on an unbranded Indian GSM model of LG P500 using a Windows xp 32bit service pack 3.]

1. Install LG PC Suite IV from SD card which came with phone by connecting the phone to PC through USB cable. This is done to install the drivers for the phone on the PC (the procedure is as follows)
- Enable the 'USB Mass Storage Only' mode in the phone's Settings/SDcard & Phone Storage menu.

- Connect phone to PC with the USB Cable.
chargel.jpg

- Press the 'Turn on USB Storage' button which appears on phone.
usbstorageicon.jpg

- Browse to the folder containing the 'LG PC Suite IV' on the phone's SD card using Windows Explorer and run the LG Installer file. PC Suite will now install on your system along with the required drivers for your phone.
- Cancel setting up PC Suite or continue setting up PC Suite if you want to Sync or backup the phone data.
- After closing PC Suite, Safely remove the USB device from your system.
- Press the 'Turn off USB Storage' button on phone screen.
- Detach the USB Cable.
- Disable the 'USB Mass Storage Only' mode in the phone's Settings/SDcard &Phone Storage menu.
OPTIONAL STEP
For my comfort more than anything else, I switched off the screensaver and other power saving features on the PC and also set the screen timeout delay on the phone to 30 minutes.(Settings/Display/Screen Timeout)
2. Remove the screen lock
lock.jpg

3. Charge the phone to the maximum.

4. Enable USB Debugging on Phone (Settings/Applications/Development).
usbdebug.jpg

usbdeb.jpg

5. Detach all other peripherals from your PC. Exit all running applications on your PC especially other PC suites if any. Also exit running programs from the notification bar on the desktop. (Also uninstall Nokia or other phone drivers & microsoft visual ++ runtime environments - not an essential step.)

6.[IMPORTANT] Disable 'LGE Virtual Modem' in PC's Device Manager. (In your Windows operating system, go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Modems > Right click on LGE Virtual Modem and click Disable.)
modemt.jpg

If this step is not followed the Phone will get bricked!

7. Move all the apps from the SD Card to phone memory and then Unmount the SD card from the phone (Settings/SDcard & Phone Storage) so as to remove it (physically) from the phone.
unmount.jpg

8. Open the phones back cover and remove the SD Card.
remove2.jpg

memory1.jpg

9. Download KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.7z onto your PC and extract it to a folder. Available HERE.Direct Download Link. (MD5 of 7zip file - 813A28BE9182AB604A1D43E745CE7AD7)
70706432.jpg

10. Run the msxml.msi file and complete the installation.
70706432a.jpg

11. Connect the phone to PC with USB Cable.( If you are using a desktop PC, make sure you use USB ports that are in the back of your PC, avoid the front ports.)

12. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe from the extracted folder.
70706432a1.jpg

13. Chose TYPE as 3GQCT & Phone Mode as DIAG.
44098797.jpg

14. In the 'KDZ file' space, browse for the firmware you want to install. (In this case V10E_00.kdz)
86441375.jpg

15. Press the 'Launch software update' button.
werlj.jpg

16. The firmware flashing process is now underway.

If all goes well, in 5-10 minutes the phone will be flashed with the new firmware.

I shall describe in detail what happened with my phone - 10-15 seconds after launching software update on PC, my phone screen turned blank and in a couple of seconds the phone entered the 'Emergency Mode'. During this mode the screen was yellow with Emergency Mode written along the middle of the screen. Also you can check the progress on your computer in the KDZ updater. I have attached a text log file for you to compare. When the update is finished the KDZ updater will show a message in the log screen itself as =FINISHED=. The phone stays the same way till the Software update procedure finished on the pc and the phone turnes blank in the end. I waited a while for it to reboot but after a minute or so, I manually switched on the phone. The phone came alive and following the LG boot animation, the android logo screen came up. The phone takes about 2 or more whole minutes in that state before booting up fully and entering the home screen.
Wait till phone reboots by itself ( which it might not) so wait for a while before manually switching it on(I waited 3 minutes).

17. After booting up fully, detach the phone from the pc.

Go to 'About Phone' in Settings and confirm the change from 2.2 to v2.2.2
snap20110502164520.jpg

snap20110502164647.jpg

I have attached my LOG file so you acn compare it with yours.
After the update all the settings etc etc were the same. I also did not back up my phone.:cool:

Additional Links Rooting, Installing - Android SDK, Custom Recovery, Custom ROM's tutorial by victortangocharlie

Last edited:

victortangocharlie

Oct 6, 2006
Cochin
@nikhil4186
Could you please specify the instructions that you have edited or added? Sorry, but I couldn't find any change from the original post. If there are any improvements to be made in my post, I would surely like to know.

Thanks a lot for the picture guide.

Edit: Have sent you a PM

Last edited:

Jaani

Apr 25, 2011
@nikhil
thanxxx for this...can u plzzzz make a simple but accurate tutorial to install custom roms like cynogen 7,megatron & others in a stock O1(no changes made before)???

nikhil4186

Apr 2, 2011
Manipal, Karnataka
@nikhil
thanxxx for this...can u plzzzz make a simple but accurate tutorial to install custom roms like cynogen 7,megatron & others in a stock O1(no changes made before)???

now that you said it, I sure will. just need a little time to read edit and create the photos. another fact that I don't have a computer adds to the challenge lol. tutorials already exist but pictures are better aren't they :)

Reactions: abousalma007

rforums

Dec 11, 2010
The last pic shows "More system info".
Is that from an app? As i have never seen that on my phone.

Jaani

Apr 25, 2011
@nikhil
bro is this update need to root the phone(stock)???what are the benefits or changes u have seen with this update???

nikhil4186

Apr 2, 2011
Manipal, Karnataka
@nikhil
bro is this update need to root the phone(stock)???what are the benefits or changes u have seen with this update???

sd unmount issue is solved
phone is not laggy anymore
video playback much smoother
video playback resolution pushed up to 720x480
wallpaper quality reduction problem solved, now wallpapers load in full quality.
stereo crosstalk in divx video playback fixed.

Jaani

Apr 25, 2011
sd unmount issue is solved
phone is not laggy anymore
video playback much smoother
video playback resolution pushed up to 720x480
wallpaper quality reduction problem solved, now wallpapers load in full quality.
stereo crosstalk in divx video playback fixed.

WOW..mainly happy bcoz of the laggy & video resolution has improved..:)But will this update needs the phone(stock) to be rooted???& Sud i follow this method or directly update via pcsuite(using internet)???which one will be better & safe???

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since most of all are newbs and don't want to get into all the android jargon I created a small tutorial from all the existing ones.
    Q: What is this tutorial meant to do?
    A: Help you to update/flash official firmware on your phone [helpful for those with slow or no internet connection]

So first off all you need to download the following files.
    KDZ updater

LG official firmware android version v2.2.2 build v10E created by VIjayKumar
    A major part of the procedure is created by victortangocharlie, rest edited by me :) (pictures etc)
    victortangocharlie and edited by nikhil4186 said:
    Procedure to install original firmware using KDZ-FW-UPD.exe ( KDZ FIRMWARE UPDATER )

[Note: This procedure was used to install V10E_00.kdz(android2.2.2) over V10b_00.kdz(android2.2) on an unbranded Indian GSM model of LG P500 using a Windows xp 32bit service pack 3.]

1. Install LG PC Suite IV from SD card which came with phone by connecting the phone to PC through USB cable. This is done to install the drivers for the phone on the PC (the procedure is as follows)
    - Enable the 'USB Mass Storage Only' mode in the phone's Settings/SDcard & Phone Storage menu.

- Connect phone to PC with the USB Cable.
    chargel.jpg

- Press the 'Turn on USB Storage' button which appears on phone.
    usbstorageicon.jpg

- Browse to the folder containing the 'LG PC Suite IV' on the phone's SD card using Windows Explorer and run the LG Installer file. PC Suite will now install on your system along with the required drivers for your phone.
    - Cancel setting up PC Suite or continue setting up PC Suite if you want to Sync or backup the phone data.
    - After closing PC Suite, Safely remove the USB device from your system.
    - Press the 'Turn off USB Storage' button on phone screen.
    - Detach the USB Cable.
    - Disable the 'USB Mass Storage Only' mode in the phone's Settings/SDcard &Phone Storage menu.
    OPTIONAL STEP
    For my comfort more than anything else, I switched off the screensaver and other power saving features on the PC and also set the screen timeout delay on the phone to 30 minutes.(Settings/Display/Screen Timeout)
    2. Remove the screen lock
    lock.jpg

3. Charge the phone to the maximum.

4. Enable USB Debugging on Phone (Settings/Applications/Development).
    usbdebug.jpg

usbdeb.jpg

5. Detach all other peripherals from your PC. Exit all running applications on your PC especially other PC suites if any. Also exit running programs from the notification bar on the desktop. (Also uninstall Nokia or other phone drivers & microsoft visual ++ runtime environments - not an essential step.)

6.[IMPORTANT] Disable 'LGE Virtual Modem' in PC's Device Manager. (In your Windows operating system, go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Modems > Right click on LGE Virtual Modem and click Disable.)
    modemt.jpg

If this step is not followed the Phone will get bricked!

7. Move all the apps from the SD Card to phone memory and then Unmount the SD card from the phone (Settings/SDcard & Phone Storage) so as to remove it (physically) from the phone.
    unmount.jpg

8. Open the phones back cover and remove the SD Card.
    remove2.jpg

memory1.jpg

9. Download KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.7z onto your PC and extract it to a folder. Available HERE.Direct Download Link. (MD5 of 7zip file - 813A28BE9182AB604A1D43E745CE7AD7)
    70706432.jpg

10. Run the msxml.msi file and complete the installation.
    70706432a.jpg

11. Connect the phone to PC with USB Cable.( If you are using a desktop PC, make sure you use USB ports that are in the back of your PC, avoid the front ports.)

12. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe from the extracted folder.
    70706432a1.jpg

13. Chose TYPE as 3GQCT & Phone Mode as DIAG.
    44098797.jpg

14. In the 'KDZ file' space, browse for the firmware you want to install. (In this case V10E_00.kdz)
    86441375.jpg

15. Press the 'Launch software update' button.
    werlj.jpg

16. The firmware flashing process is now underway.

If all goes well, in 5-10 minutes the phone will be flashed with the new firmware.

I shall describe in detail what happened with my phone - 10-15 seconds after launching software update on PC, my phone screen turned blank and in a couple of seconds the phone entered the 'Emergency Mode'. During this mode the screen was yellow with Emergency Mode written along the middle of the screen. Also you can check the progress on your computer in the KDZ updater. I have attached a text log file for you to compare. When the update is finished the KDZ updater will show a message in the log screen itself as =FINISHED=. The phone stays the same way till the Software update procedure finished on the pc and the phone turnes blank in the end. I waited a while for it to reboot but after a minute or so, I manually switched on the phone. The phone came alive and following the LG boot animation, the android logo screen came up. The phone takes about 2 or more whole minutes in that state before booting up fully and entering the home screen.
    Wait till phone reboots by itself ( which it might not) so wait for a while before manually switching it on(I waited 3 minutes).

17. After booting up fully, detach the phone from the pc.

Go to 'About Phone' in Settings and confirm the change from 2.2 to v2.2.2
    snap20110502164520.jpg

snap20110502164647.jpg

I have attached my LOG file so you acn compare it with yours.
    After the update all the settings etc etc were the same. I also did not back up my phone.:cool:

Additional Links Rooting, Installing - Android SDK, Custom Recovery, Custom ROM's tutorial by victortangocharlie
    Please notify me if you see any errors in this tutorial or if you have something to add to this.
    @nikhil

now that you said it, I sure will. just need a little time to read edit and create the photos. another fact that I don't have a computer adds to the challenge lol. tutorials already exist but pictures are better aren't they :)
    Hi all!

Will this program (KDZ Updater) work in an optimus 2x phone?

Regards!

Although KDZ is meant for LG phones, i am not sure whether it would work with optimus 2x.
    thanxxx buddy...now i will update it asap after i buy it next month.. :)

damn, you don't even have the phone! what was the nagging all about? lol