• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[HOWTO]Recover From a Bad Flash - Now automated

Search This thread

crawrj

Nov 2, 2007
Ok so you accidentally tried to Odin or CWM the wrong file to your phone. Well the good news is that if you can get into CWM with access to the sdcard(s) or access ADB we can fix it. If the phone won't power on at all, you can't access cwm with sdcard(s), ADB or Odin you are unfortunately out of luck. You will need to get it repaired by Sprint or send it off for a jtag repair.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone. You do this at your own risk.

If you don't own the E4GT do not use this guide because if your partitions are not the same as ours you will brick your phone.

If by chance you can get into Odin mode and your computer can see the phone go buy a lottery ticket :) J/K. All you have to do is download a full tar and Odin it back on. I won't go into details for that as it is well documented. Or you can still use this zip if you prefer.

I have automated the process of the restore. What this zip will do is flash the Agat 0.5.4 source kernel so you have cwm. It will flash the FH13 boot.bin, hidden.img, param.lfs and Sbl.bin. It will wipe Cache and Dalvik also.

This will not flash the modem, wipe data or replace system. So after you use this zip if your modem is also hosed flash a modem zip from CWM. Once you have recovered the phone you can flash whatever you want back on the phone.

Download CWM Odin Restore To FH13: http://d-h.st/3yZ

Copy the zip file to your phone and flash in custom recovery.

If you don't have access to the sdcard(s) but do have access to ADB proceed to the second post.

If you need some direct assistance you can PM me and I will work with you when possible.

Last edited:

crawrj

Nov 2, 2007
You only have ADB access

For this method you will need CWM, ADB, Root and the image files to restore.

If you don't have ADB installed I have attached it to this post. I have also provided a link to the FH13 image files.

1. If you don't have ADB, extract the ADB directory to the root of C:. So you should see C:\ADB
  2. You need to know where your ADB directory is located. If you used step 1 ADB it is C:\ADB. If you installed it on your own you should know where to find it.
  3. Extract the images.zip into the ADB directory. You should now have the Images folder in the ADB folder.
  4. Boot into CWM and attach your phone to the computer.
  5. Open a command prompt and change directory to the ADB directory cd C:\ADB (or wherever your directory is).
  6. Type adb push Images /tmp and hit enter.
  7. You should see something like 6 files pushed. 0 files skipped.8465 KB/s (19271020 bytes in 2.223s).
  8. Type adb shell and hit enter.
  9. This part is critical. Make sure it is typed exactly or you can/will destroy your phone.
  10. Copy and paste or type the following commands. If you copy and paste make sure you don't copy any leading or trailing spaces. Hit enter after each command.
  11. You can skip any of the following commands if you know you don't need them. For example, if you know you only installed the Sbl.bin then you only need to enter that command. I have provided them all to cover all of the needs. If you are not sure just do them all.
  12. dd if=/tmp/boot.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p0
  13. dd if=/tmp/hidden.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12
  14. dd if=/tmp/param.lfs of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4
  15. dd if=/tmp/Sbl.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2
  16. dd if=/tmp/zImage of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
  17. dd if=/tmp/zImage of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6
  18. You should see something like 2560+0 records in, 2560+0 records out, 1310720 bytes (1.3MB) copied, 0.265521 seconds, 4.7MB/s after each command.
  19. Reboot your phone and it should boot up.
  20. If it still doesn't boot something didn't take and we will need to work one on one.

Download the Images.zip: http://d-h.st/8gY

Attachments

• ADB.zip
    621.5 KB · Views: 855
Last edited:

times_infinity

Oct 26, 2010
md5 sums might be nice. Don't want bricked phones due to bad downloads.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Reactions: crawrj

crawrj

Nov 2, 2007
I have now automated the restore process in a zip file. You must be able to copy the zip file to the phone for it to work. I have flashed it about a dozen times but I would like to get a few brave testers to try it on your phone for me. Make sure you do a backup first! I have moved the manual commands to post two and revamped the instructions.

Last edited:
Reactions: cerj and AwfulFaded

PhAkEer

Jun 20, 2012
Williston, ND --from Seattle
Sooo... uhm ,,, say I know a certain someone who botched their custom boot logo and has been lazy..... and has the draw failure start up...
This would restore that to stock without any other ramifications except for a kernel swap, correct??

Edit: Guess after a day Ill just assume yes and hope it cant brake anything....

Last edited:

crawrj

Nov 2, 2007
Sooo... uhm ,,, say I know a certain someone who botched their custom boot logo and has been lazy..... and has the draw failure start up...
This would restore that to stock without any other ramifications except for a kernel swap, correct??

Edit: Guess after a day Ill just assume yes and hope it cant brake anything....

Yeah this will fix you up. Once you get recovered you can flash whatever you want back on. Since you are an advanced user if you have a particular setup that you want to restore, just pull those files from the tar and place them in the Images folder of the zip.

Reactions: PhAkEer

PhAkEer

Jun 20, 2012
Williston, ND --from Seattle
You never can be too sure.. Lol I just always expect the one time I make an assumption will be regretted.
Good idea btw... And thanks.
And Ive actually been meaning to flash a param.lfs..... I have like 4 OCs it just they are all the way on my backup backup card ...(see my level of sloth ?!?!?!)

Last edited:

crawrj

Nov 2, 2007
You never can be too sure.. Lol I just always expect the one time I make an assumption will be regretted.
Good idea btw... And thanks.
And Ive actually been meaning to flash a param.lfs..... I have like 4 OCs it just they are all the way on my backup backup card ...(see my level of sloth ?!?!?!)

LOL nice. Let me know how it turns out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok so you accidentally tried to Odin or CWM the wrong file to your phone. Well the good news is that if you can get into CWM with access to the sdcard(s) or access ADB we can fix it. If the phone won't power on at all, you can't access cwm with sdcard(s), ADB or Odin you are unfortunately out of luck. You will need to get it repaired by Sprint or send it off for a jtag repair.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone. You do this at your own risk.

If you don't own the E4GT do not use this guide because if your partitions are not the same as ours you will brick your phone.

If by chance you can get into Odin mode and your computer can see the phone go buy a lottery ticket :) J/K. All you have to do is download a full tar and Odin it back on. I won't go into details for that as it is well documented. Or you can still use this zip if you prefer.

I have automated the process of the restore. What this zip will do is flash the Agat 0.5.4 source kernel so you have cwm. It will flash the FH13 boot.bin, hidden.img, param.lfs and Sbl.bin. It will wipe Cache and Dalvik also.

This will not flash the modem, wipe data or replace system. So after you use this zip if your modem is also hosed flash a modem zip from CWM. Once you have recovered the phone you can flash whatever you want back on the phone.

Download CWM Odin Restore To FH13: http://d-h.st/3yZ

Copy the zip file to your phone and flash in custom recovery.

If you don't have access to the sdcard(s) but do have access to ADB proceed to the second post.

If you need some direct assistance you can PM me and I will work with you when possible.
    You only have ADB access

For this method you will need CWM, ADB, Root and the image files to restore.

If you don't have ADB installed I have attached it to this post. I have also provided a link to the FH13 image files.

1. If you don't have ADB, extract the ADB directory to the root of C:. So you should see C:\ADB
    2. You need to know where your ADB directory is located. If you used step 1 ADB it is C:\ADB. If you installed it on your own you should know where to find it.
    3. Extract the images.zip into the ADB directory. You should now have the Images folder in the ADB folder.
    4. Boot into CWM and attach your phone to the computer.
    5. Open a command prompt and change directory to the ADB directory cd C:\ADB (or wherever your directory is).
    6. Type adb push Images /tmp and hit enter.
    7. You should see something like 6 files pushed. 0 files skipped.8465 KB/s (19271020 bytes in 2.223s).
    8. Type adb shell and hit enter.
    9. This part is critical. Make sure it is typed exactly or you can/will destroy your phone.
    10. Copy and paste or type the following commands. If you copy and paste make sure you don't copy any leading or trailing spaces. Hit enter after each command.
    11. You can skip any of the following commands if you know you don't need them. For example, if you know you only installed the Sbl.bin then you only need to enter that command. I have provided them all to cover all of the needs. If you are not sure just do them all.
    12. dd if=/tmp/boot.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p0
    13. dd if=/tmp/hidden.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12
    14. dd if=/tmp/param.lfs of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4
    15. dd if=/tmp/Sbl.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    16. dd if=/tmp/zImage of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    17. dd if=/tmp/zImage of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6
    18. You should see something like 2560+0 records in, 2560+0 records out, 1310720 bytes (1.3MB) copied, 0.265521 seconds, 4.7MB/s after each command.
    19. Reboot your phone and it should boot up.
    20. If it still doesn't boot something didn't take and we will need to work one on one.

Download the Images.zip: http://d-h.st/8gY
    Thread stuck. Thank you for helping out the community. :highfive:
    The bootloader restore has been proven to work on one phone so far. Thanks to pjkingphd for testing and confirming that it works.
    MD5 added. Sticky this please.