[HOWTO] Remove SMS Per Hour Limit

Search This thread

Hostage XII

Jul 17, 2012
Owings Mills
As the tittle suggests this is a How-To in increasing the SMS/Hour Limit.

Some of you while sending a text might have had the following message pop-up.
View attachment 1262984

Sure you can simply click "Allow" but isn't doing that for every text message you send for the next hour frustrating?

Well, through a few hours browsing the Web and with the help of this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=626771 I was able to increase the limit, thus keeping the message from popping up.

There are two methods of doing this. One requires a couple of apps, the other is done using ADB.

Remember you MUST be rooted for this to work.

The Steps

Required Apps: Root Explorer, SQLite Editor, BusyBox installed, Update your SuperUser binaries.

For some reason people get the I/O Disk Error. I'm not sure what this is. Try wiping cache and davlik cache. As well as wiping the SQLite Editor data. I have never gotten this error.
Also people have been having issues with the values not sticking. Again I do not know why. I'm sorry. It also appears that this only works on 4.1 not 4.2. You can test it out it might work for you.

Also check out this thread featuring freezas method. That might work for you if this hasn't.: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=35652750

1. Open up Root Explorer
2. Navigate to /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db (It'll ask you if you want to open the database with SQLite or with the internal viewer, choose SQLite)
3. Open the secure table
4. Hit the menu key and select New Record
5. Under name type in sms_outgoing_check_max_count
6. Under the value type in whatever you'd like, I did 9999
7. Hit Save
8. Go back once and select the table system
9. Repeat steps 4-7
10. Now navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db
11. Open the table main
12. Repeat steps 4-7.
13. Back out the home screen and reboot.

If you have SDK installed on computer, it might be easier to run the commands from there. That way you could copy and paste the commands.

ADB Method.
1.Open Command Terminal
2. Type in adb shell hit enter
3. Type in su hit enter
4. Type in sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db hit enter
5. Type in INSERT INTO secure (name, value) VALUES('sms_outgoing_check_max_count’, 9999); hit enter
6. Type in INSERT INTO system (name, value) VALUES('sms_outgoing_check_max_count’, 9999); hit enter
7. Type in .exit hit enter (you should now see a hash tag again instead of sqlite>. If not conitune typing in .exit and hitting enter until you are)
8. Type in sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db
9. Type in INSERT INTO main (name, value) VALUES('sms_outgoing_check_max_count’, 9999); hit enter
10. Again exit back to where the command line has a hashtag
11. Type in reboot and hit enter.
:good::good:

Last edited:

RPerry435

Nov 8, 2008
Not sure if it works on cm10/pa but here's my screen shot it was not successful

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1345065654003.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345065654003.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 3,798

Hostage XII

Jul 17, 2012
Owings Mills
Not sure if it works on cm10/pa but here's my screen shot it was not successful

I think I know your problem.
sms_outgoing_check_max_count needs to be in quotations as its typed in the op.

I'm running ParanoidAndroid as well and it works.
Can any one else provide some results?

Last edited:
J

JohnM

Thanks for the tutorial, but I don't know if Pablo Gomez wants 100 texts that say penis.

RPerry435

Nov 8, 2008
K I'll try this out with quotations. I have a SMS spammer for winning concert tickets. :)

RPerry435

Nov 8, 2008
I got it no problem from the terminal just added quotations

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

tft

Feb 24, 2008
how do you even reach the limit? or are you one of those spammers sending out those "you won a ipad" messages?

Hostage XII

Jul 17, 2012
Owings Mills
how do you even reach the limit? or are you one of those spammers sending out those "you won a ipad" messages?

Haha no sir. I just tend to text a lot. And it appears that the limit is actually 30 SMS messages.

And don't forget to hit the thanks button if I helped you guys out ;)

mmark27

Jun 16, 2010
Do you have a method for increasing the recipient limit to more than 10 people on stock messaging app? I have to use Handcent to circumvent this, which works fine, just curious about the increase 10 recipient limit. Seems incredibly lame its capped at 10. Koreans must not have families over 10 people?

RPerry435

Nov 8, 2008
I have a program called SMS contest winner.... basically I try to win contests held by my local radio station... example one time its like text point to 62582 and be entered to win a trip to cedar point. Enter as often as you like. So I send out 50 or 60 thousand giving me better odds.. of course you can only win once every 6 months here so its not like I'm abusing the rules. I typically wait til its something I want to go to... last tickets won a few months back was 2 tickets to foo fighters using 47k texts to get the job done :)

Sent using my Galaxy S III

Hostage XII

Jul 17, 2012
Owings Mills
Do you have a method for increasing the recipient limit to more than 10 people on stock messaging app? I have to use Handcent to circumvent this, which works fine, just curious about the increase 10 recipient limit. Seems incredibly lame its capped at 10. Koreans must not have families over 10 people?

I believe there is a method. Just use the search function.

Hostage XII

Jul 17, 2012
Owings Mills
Just used the search function? How about instead of trolling you could useful to the post and actually answer the question properly without being a ass about it

Apple just give up the IPHONE sucks deal with it.

I'm not trolling nor being an ass. I'm just saying he could use the search bar.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1570900

The thread above has a mod. Idk if it'll work on S3. There is also a how to a few posts down to do it manually. However I didn't find any folders in /res. Anyways it requires editing a.XML file so far I haven't been able to locate it.

blackdragon79

Jun 18, 2010
Trenton
I'm not trolling nor being an ass. I'm just saying he could use the search bar.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1570900

The thread above has a mod. Idk if it'll work on S3. There is also a how to a few posts down to do it manually. However I didn't find any folders in /res. Anyways it requires editing a.XML file so far I haven't been able to locate it.

9 times out of 10 people who are on xda are on from the app which we all know the search function is a joke. So when people say use the search it kinda make people come off as trolling. But I may have to try that mod u posted I'm also sick of that 10 recipient BS

Hostage XII

Jul 17, 2012
Owings Mills
9 times out of 10 people who are on xda are on from the app which we all know the search function is a joke. So when people say use the search it kinda make people come off as trolling. But I may have to try that mod u posted I'm also sick of that 10 recipient BS

Most custom ROMs have a workaround built into it. You guys should probably try out some other ROMs. I'm running paranoid android and I'm able to have more that 10 recipients.

I think its BS too just like the SMS cap. Ha

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As the tittle suggests this is a How-To in increasing the SMS/Hour Limit.

Some of you while sending a text might have had the following message pop-up.
    View attachment 1262984

Sure you can simply click "Allow" but isn't doing that for every text message you send for the next hour frustrating?

Well, through a few hours browsing the Web and with the help of this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=626771 I was able to increase the limit, thus keeping the message from popping up.

There are two methods of doing this. One requires a couple of apps, the other is done using ADB.

Remember you MUST be rooted for this to work.

The Steps

Required Apps: Root Explorer, SQLite Editor, BusyBox installed, Update your SuperUser binaries.

For some reason people get the I/O Disk Error. I'm not sure what this is. Try wiping cache and davlik cache. As well as wiping the SQLite Editor data. I have never gotten this error.
    Also people have been having issues with the values not sticking. Again I do not know why. I'm sorry. It also appears that this only works on 4.1 not 4.2. You can test it out it might work for you.

Also check out this thread featuring freezas method. That might work for you if this hasn't.: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=35652750

1. Open up Root Explorer
    2. Navigate to /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db (It'll ask you if you want to open the database with SQLite or with the internal viewer, choose SQLite)
    3. Open the secure table
    4. Hit the menu key and select New Record
    5. Under name type in sms_outgoing_check_max_count
    6. Under the value type in whatever you'd like, I did 9999
    7. Hit Save
    8. Go back once and select the table system
    9. Repeat steps 4-7
    10. Now navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db
    11. Open the table main
    12. Repeat steps 4-7.
    13. Back out the home screen and reboot.

If you have SDK installed on computer, it might be easier to run the commands from there. That way you could copy and paste the commands.

ADB Method.
    1.Open Command Terminal
    2. Type in adb shell hit enter
    3. Type in su hit enter
    4. Type in sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db hit enter
    5. Type in INSERT INTO secure (name, value) VALUES('sms_outgoing_check_max_count’, 9999); hit enter
    6. Type in INSERT INTO system (name, value) VALUES('sms_outgoing_check_max_count’, 9999); hit enter
    7. Type in .exit hit enter (you should now see a hash tag again instead of sqlite>. If not conitune typing in .exit and hitting enter until you are)
    8. Type in sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db
    9. Type in INSERT INTO main (name, value) VALUES('sms_outgoing_check_max_count’, 9999); hit enter
    10. Again exit back to where the command line has a hashtag
    11. Type in reboot and hit enter.
    :good::good:
    If you have SQLite Editor installed:

Open the SQLite Editor app.
    Scroll down and open "Settings Storage".
    Open up "secure"
    Add a new record.
    Set the name "sms_outgoing_check_max_count"
    Set the value to "9999" or whatever you want.
    Reboot!

So i have tried the first and second method with no luck but.....

Bingo! found out how we can do it! For those of you that this doesnt work for them i think there is a way of doing this. i cant confirm it was built into the rom or not and dont feel like trying to reflash and trying all these steps again to find out. I am currently running cyanogenmod 10.0.0 "stable" on my tmobile samsung galaxy S2. if you go to settings -> security -> APP Security -> there should be a option that states SMS message limit -> then choose what limit you would like in a 15 minute interval.

This works for me now and removed sms (text) per hour limit

For all that helped me till this point i thank you again!

If this helps hit thanks!
    When I had my epic touch I always used calkulin rom because he raised the limit to over 500. How is the rom your running?

Its great. I absolutely love it. Its built from the CM10 source code so no touchwiz features on it. But I don't mind. There's also a few bugs here and there but nothing that hinders it. Here's the thread. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1818793

Also check out tasks and ktoonsez AOKP ROM. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1798981

I have tried all of this to no avail, I have 4.1.1 when I go to save the sql it doesnt save on restart.

Also I think there is another limit on there for the time, like a program can only send x amounts in a time frame, set to miliseconds I have no idea where this is or how to find it

Which method are you using?

@Hostage XII, do you (or anyone else) know if this will work with either/or LineageOS 13/LineageOS 14 (aka LOS13/LOS14)?

Thank you!
    I found this simple guide that doesnt involve rooting and says it works on LineageOS

https://www.xda-developers.com/change-sms-limit-android/