• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General HowTo: Root Joying SC9853i Head Unit

Search This thread

prrlhkr

Dec 1, 2014
First off a big thanks to the guys at 4pda (http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=938749&st=60#entry82238521) for doing all the hard work, I'm just writing this post as a guide for those who don't speak Russian - like myself :)
Second thanks to all those on the Original Thread (https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...ying-android-8-1-intel-airmont-eight-t3897206) for helping me finally find an android head unit worth buying.

Compatible Firmware Versions:
  • 9853i 800X480 2019.3.20
  • 9853i 1024X600 2019.3.29
  • "New" 9853i 1280X480 新UI 2019.3.18
  • "Old" 9853i 1280X480 旧UI 2019.3.18

Legacy Support

Changelog:
  • April 10 2019:
    • Added new files for several units

Previous Changelogs:

• April 4 2019:
    • Fixed typo in Developer instructions
    • Added "Ultra Wide" version
  • March 28 2019:
    • Simplified Installation Process
    • Reformatted instructions

Warnings
  • I am not responsible for bricked devices. Proceed through this rooting process at your own risk.
  • Rooting your device will void Joying's waranty. (Even though it can be uninstalled in Magisk Manager).

Prereqs

Rooting Your Device
  1. Plug your Flash Drive or MicroSD into your computer. Make sure there's nothing on it.
  2. Extract the contents of the device-appropriate archive to your flash drive. You should have 2 files: "lsec6521update" and "6521_1.zip".
  3. Go to your head unit. Moment of truth; no turning back once you begin this next step! Plug your flash drive into the head unit. The update will be detected and the update will automatically begin.
  4. Your head unit will reboot into recovery and install the update containg root. DO NOT POWER OFF YOUR DEVICE OR UNPLUG THE FLASH DRIVE DURING THIS PROCESS!!! If you do, you may permanantly brick your device! Once prompted by the update process, remove your Flash Drive and let it boot back up into Android.

If you would like the more in depth "developer" tutorial, attached is Developer.zip.
Inside I included "Readme.rtf" - a copy of the developer instructions with screenshots.

Attachments

• Developer.zip
    17.3 MB · Views: 2,547
  • Joying_Root_9853i_1024X600_2019.3.29.zip
    16.6 MB · Views: 2,269
  • Joying_Root_9853i_800X480_2019.3.20.zip
    16.6 MB · Views: 417
Last edited:

prrlhkr

Dec 1, 2014
Senior members, after following the above proceedure, I have a Joying-signed "6521_1.zip" file containg Magisk.
Is this file specific to my unit or will others be able to flash this file to get root? If so it would make the rooting process a lot faster and noob-friendly. Thanks!
Please see attached update file.
Unzip to root of an empty flash drive and plug into head unit. Device will update automatically.
**FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKED UNITS**

kouklo

Nov 6, 2013
I truly TRULY hope you win the lottery..........or maybe even get a raise at work!! LOL.
Thanks!
I literally ordered my HU about 20 min ago. When it gets here Ill check your file with the one I get.

Last edited:

CTDPeti

Mar 13, 2014
Koszeg
Senior members, after following the above proceedure, I have a Joying-signed "6521_1.zip" file containg Magisk.
Is this file specific to my unit or will others be able to flash this file to get root? If so it would make the rooting process a lot faster and noob-friendly. Thanks!
Unzip to root of an empty flash drive and plug into head unit. Device will update automatically.

Friend, you are a Lord of Joying!!

Succesful, device rooted at 2 minutes! Enough this zip file and the magisk apk! Many thanks! Now I begin hunting for radio skins and etc :)

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io

Well done :good:
The magisk patched boot image you have created, is valid for all Joying SC9853i FYT machines. It is based on the firmware and not on your specific unit, and the firmware is identical for all Joyings.
So everyone on the same firmware version with an Intel Joying can use your patched boot image.

The only "but" here is that the boot image can change over firmware versions, so please specify the firmware version for which your patched boot image is, e.g. the "9853i 2019.3.5" version (I assume). It shouldn't make a difference at all whether it is for the 1024x600, 800x480, with or without 4G. All those specifics are not in the boot image.
So the release date is important for the version.

And because of the possible "but": You need to create a new boot image per new firmware version. So if Joying releases a new firmware and you flash it, you better not use your already created boot image, but create a new patched boot image.
If your lucky, nothing has changed and you can use the same.
If you are unlucky you will "soft-brick" your unit, but even in that case there is no worry. You simply take the Joying firmware again and flash it again. Flashing is done by the recovery image. So an incorrect boot image will not boot your unit, but via recovery (reset with a needle or so in the reset (RST) hole) you can simply flash your unit again.

Last edited:

colonel_lp

Well done :good:
The magisk patched boot image you have created, is valid for all Joying SC9853i FYT machines. It is based on the firmware and not on your specific unit, and the firmware is identical for all Joyings.
So everyone on the same firmware version with an Intel Joying can use your patched boot image.

If that's the case could someone upload their signed zip file as I just can't get signing to work on my Mac. Thanks in advance.

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
Whether SC9853i receives any attention by developers like Sofia&PX5 in the future? Extra Tools apk made by Surfer is excellent and mods are enviable

I will extend my JET apk.

Xposed need to be tested for install. Maybe a direct install from the Xposed installer itself. This should be feasible considered the fact that the Magisk rooting, once successful, should allow for transparent install of Xposed. This would mean that you download the Intel 8.1 version installer and try it.
If it does work, most Xposed modules, including my XFytTweaker should work. I already had a quick look at the server apk, and all functions, calls, etc. are the same. they have not changed over Sogia3G to PX5 now to Intel SC98539i.

Reactions: mihaita_us

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
I will extend my JET apk.

EDIT: Rewrite of this post.
To be able to start on this I need from someone with a rooted unit a system listing.
So from a terminal
Code:
su
ls -lR /system > /sdcard/system_list.txt
ls -lR /sys > /sdcard/sys_list.txt
And please attach both files "system_list.txt" and "sys_list.txt" to a post (you might want to zip it :))

Last edited:

CTDPeti

Mar 13, 2014
Koszeg
tried to do but permission denied with su, hope this is what you need, I'm a noob, sorry

Attachments

• system_list.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 218
  • sys_list.txt
    670 bytes · Views: 119

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
tried to do but permission denied with su, hope this is what you need, I'm a noob, sorry

Thanks for your attempt, but this is not what I need.
Did you do the "ls -lR"? (uppercase R? This is important on linux systems where the underlying core is of Android).

The su command is actually necessary for the "/sys" folder/file system.

You say that su permission is denied. What error did you get? Did you get a Magisk popup asking you to give root access to the application (once/next 15 minutes/always)?

See also this useful site: https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/HomePage

Last edited:

CTDPeti

Mar 13, 2014
Koszeg
Thanks for your attempt, but this is not what I need.
Did you do the "ls -lR"? (uppercase R? This is important on linux systems where the underlying core is of Android).

The su command is actually necessary for the "/sys" folder/file system.

You say that su permission is denied. What error did you get? Did you get a Magisk popup asking you to give root access to the application (once/next 15 minutes/always)?

See also this useful site: https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/HomePage

Sorry for the previous mistache but now i'm in my garage and mendig my motorbike (yeah, spring beginnig in Central Europe :) ) with some tools and beers. :) Previous terminal command apk wasn't fully compatible with magisk and not to ask superuser grants. I found a new one and tried to generate other files, hope it is good enough but it is not so easily from an average garage...

Attachments

• txtfiles.rar
    127 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Reactions: colonel_lp

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
This is exactly what I need. Thanks.
I will start extending the JET apk

One more question. For quite some functionalities I need to mount /system "read-write". That is different per unit. From a terminal it is on the Sofia 3GR:
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system

on the PX5:
Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
(see that the rw and remount are reversed)

If I mix them up on both models I get the error "device or resource busy" or something like that.
So those on a rooted 9853i, please try both commands. If they both work it is nice, if both don't work we have another issue (or challenge, whatever you want to call it)

prrlhkr

Dec 1, 2014
One more question. For quite some functionalities I need to mount /system "read-write". That is different per unit. From a terminal it is on the Sofia 3GR:
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system

on the PX5:
Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
(see that the rw and remount are reversed)

If I mix them up on both models I get the error "device or resource busy" or something like that.
So those on a rooted 9853i, please try both commands. If they both work it is nice, if both don't work we have another issue (or challenge, whatever you want to call it)

They both work for me no problems, is this what you're looking for?

Attachments

• IMG_20190330_102459.jpg
    IMG_20190330_102459.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 825

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
They both work for me no problems, is this what you're looking for?

Yes, it is.
That is also how it works on every linux/unix system and how it should work, but not on the Joying Android 6 and Android 8 systems.
When I was expanding my JET apk to PX5 (from Sofia) It took me quite some time to understand that the stupid Android versions on those systems were not behaving like they were supposed to.

Edit: as example on my PX5:
Code:
px5:/ $ su
px5:/ # mount -o remount,rw /system
mount: '/devblock/platform/ff0f0000.dwmmc/by-name/system'-> '/system': Device or resource busy
1|px5:/ # mount -o rw,remount /system
px5:/ #

Every unix/linux guru would consider me crazy, until they see it themselves. And on the Sofia it is the other way round.
Stupid FYT.

Last edited:

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
All,

I made the first experimetal JET apk which can be used on the FYT based Joying Intel Airmont sp9853i as well.
As that is here actually off-topic, I posted that version in the Joying Extra Tools thread.

Please continue in that thread for all JET related questions/remarks/etc. and let's keep this thread for the actual rooting questions/remarks.

Reactions: colonel_lp

CTDPeti

Mar 13, 2014
Koszeg
All,

I made the first experimetal JET apk which can be used on the FYT based Joying Intel Airmont sp9853i as well.
As that is here actually off-topic, I posted that version in the Joying Extra Tools thread.

Please continue in that thread for all JET related questions/remarks/etc. and let's keep this thread for the actual rooting questions/remarks.

Surfer, mine is frozen, see attachment

Attachments

• JET-20190331.log
    1.9 KB · Views: 56

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
Surfer, mine is frozen, see attachment
Thanks. One error detected, maybe 2. Please continue this in the "Joying Extra Tools apk" thread.

With frozen I hope you mean the app, not your unit.
A frozen app can be closed via the App-manager: the rectangle top-right.

Edit: Did you get the question to give root access to the JET apk?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Strange. I will test tomorrow.
    I don't use rooting anymore as it only reduces functionality of the unit, and and with the partial custom flashing almost all "root things" can be achieved as well.
    Yeah, I ended up trying to patch boot.img on my Android mobile phone because it appears to work well on that. Only thing is, the resultant patched_boot.img then soft bricks the Joying. That was using the readme.rtf with the correct files for my Joying version. Lucky that reset pin 3x allowed me to flash an entire system back to the unit. So, I have a better understanding of what's involved now. People who have uploaded the root-img.zip's have basically saved all of us. It will never work again with the latest Magisk's :/ Anyway, love your work. Cheers for the help
    Yeah, I ended up trying to patch boot.img on my Android mobile phone because it appears to work well on that. Only thing is, the resultant patched_boot.img then soft bricks the Joying. That was using the readme.rtf with the correct files for my Joying version. Lucky that reset pin 3x allowed me to flash an entire system back to the unit. So, I have a better understanding of what's involved now. People who have uploaded the root-img.zip's have basically saved all of us. It will never work again with the latest Magisk's :/ Anyway, love your work. Cheers for the help
    I was able to use the latest Magisk on my newer unit to patch my boot image. The newest Magisk doesnt seem to do much and I had to search through Magisk a bit to find the patching function but was able to patch my boot image. As far a signing the patched boot image,I thought I had it done correctly but upon trying to flash the signed boot image,the unit failed to flash it. I then used one of the pre-made patched images and it worked for me. Pretty sad when Magisk does absolutely nothing anymore lol.
    Strange. I will test tomorrow.
    I don't use rooting anymore as it only reduces functionality of the unit, and and with the partial custom flashing almost all "root things" can be achieved as well.
    Finally starting to understand what you meant with this post. I actually think you lose functionality after rooting.
    Waze can no longer make any sounds, app problem? doesn't matter if radio or poweramp is running music/audio in background. Not sure what the issue is there?

Seriously think no use for root and I will be flashing the stock/original firmware back.
    ADDIT: Actually tasker w/ autoinput will be my next endeavour. I think I could achieve more with that.
    Does it need root or I am ok ?

It doesn't need root. It needs FYTstarter. See my sc9853i Q&A thread (note though that I didn't create FYTstarter)
    Tried it just then, is there a trick to using it?
    What do you mean? Install it, configure it for your applications, and go.
    First off a big thanks to the guys at 4pda (http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=938749&st=60#entry82238521) for doing all the hard work, I'm just writing this post as a guide for those who don't speak Russian - like myself :)
    Second thanks to all those on the Original Thread (https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...ying-android-8-1-intel-airmont-eight-t3897206) for helping me finally find an android head unit worth buying.

Compatible Firmware Versions:
    • 9853i 800X480 2019.3.20
    • 9853i 1024X600 2019.3.29
    • "New" 9853i 1280X480 新UI 2019.3.18
    • "Old" 9853i 1280X480 旧UI 2019.3.18

Legacy Support

Changelog:
    • April 10 2019:
      • Added new files for several units

Previous Changelogs:

• April 4 2019:
      • Fixed typo in Developer instructions
      • Added "Ultra Wide" version
    • March 28 2019:
      • Simplified Installation Process
      • Reformatted instructions

Warnings
    • I am not responsible for bricked devices. Proceed through this rooting process at your own risk.
    • Rooting your device will void Joying's waranty. (Even though it can be uninstalled in Magisk Manager).

Prereqs

Rooting Your Device
    1. Plug your Flash Drive or MicroSD into your computer. Make sure there's nothing on it.
    2. Extract the contents of the device-appropriate archive to your flash drive. You should have 2 files: "lsec6521update" and "6521_1.zip".
    3. Go to your head unit. Moment of truth; no turning back once you begin this next step! Plug your flash drive into the head unit. The update will be detected and the update will automatically begin.
    4. Your head unit will reboot into recovery and install the update containg root. DO NOT POWER OFF YOUR DEVICE OR UNPLUG THE FLASH DRIVE DURING THIS PROCESS!!! If you do, you may permanantly brick your device! Once prompted by the update process, remove your Flash Drive and let it boot back up into Android.

If you would like the more in depth "developer" tutorial, attached is Developer.zip.
    Inside I included "Readme.rtf" - a copy of the developer instructions with screenshots.
    I got emailed the update link to this morning also for the new firmware, just flashed it and it fixed all my problems (voice, notification bar etc)
    Im stoked. :) Joying has been super good and responding to emails and fixing stuff. One of the reasons I bought a Joying over some of the other crap out there.

Here is the patched boot.img with magisk file: Magisk 9853i 1024X600 or 800X480 Google 2019.5.15

Cant upload the firmware at work unfortunately but was able to patch the boot.img while driving to work :p
    Starting any user app on boot

So with the risk of looking like an idiot I want to share something for others in my situation on this Joying head unit:

I originally only rooted and struggled for the past 2 weeks unsuccessfully with xposed, because I wanted a way to start a "tasker app" on boot.
    For some unknown reason (to me at least) neither Tasker, Automate or Macrodroid are allowed to start on boot. Don't know if it's Joying firmware or Oreo in general as google comes up with this issue in general for Oreo.

So today I played around in Setting and in there are both "Start Navi app on launch" & an option to set the Navi app of choice. I never took much notice about this earlier, and I just assumed you could only choose installed Navi apps in there. But to my surprise you can choose any installed app.
    -So I have now solved my objective by simply setting Tasker in this setting and Tasker now starts on boot, and from Tasker I can start all other apps or tasks (like a Navi app so you dont loose that option). This is a perfect workaround and does not require root at all.
    Tasker can still only survive Sleep mode if you install the NoKill mod, but I dont use sleep mode anyway as boot is rather fast and ensure my 4g/wifi hotspot is already live when unit is done booting.

I don't know if this has been there always in previous Android versions/units so please bare with me if this is the case.
    Previous terminal command apk wasn't fully compatible with magisk and not to ask superuser grants. I found a new one and tried to generate other files, hope it is good enough but it is not so easily from an average garage...

This is exactly what I need. Thanks.
    I will start extending the JET apk