• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General HowTo: Root Joying SC9853i Head Unit

Search This thread

gamer765

Jan 14, 2009
Your asking too many questions. If you can't follow instructions, perhaps this isn't something you should be attempting in the first place, especially since there's no stock Joying firmware posted yet to recover from. As surfer63 mentioned, there is nothing gained from rooting. You can do all the mods you're describing without root. You can replace files using the lsec.sh method. I rooted my unit, but that's because I'm using it for research purposes in modding libsyujni where I need to replace it multiple times. Other than that, there really is no need to root.

bennyasf

Sep 23, 2015
That is perfectly described in the Howto.rtf in the developer.zip

I already followed the directions in the developer.zip and created the root files, but since it’s for the old motherboard would it still work? I tried flashing and it just gives me an error when it tries to flash the patched boot.img

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Your asking too many questions. If you can't follow instructions, perhaps this isn't something you should be attempting in the first place, especially since there's no stock Joying firmware posted yet to recover from. As surfer63 mentioned, there is nothing gained from rooting. You can do all the mods you're describing without root. You can replace files using the lsec.sh method. I rooted my unit, but that's because I'm using it for research purposes in modding libsyujni where I need to replace it multiple times. Other than that, there really is no need to root.

I know what I’m doing... and i have my rom to recover from that i posted a link to. And my rom doesn’t include an oem folder and if i try changing anything in the actual firmware it gives an error while flashing. That’s where i get stuck since it just says error and nothing else.

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
I already followed the directions in the developer.zip and created the root files, but since it’s for the old motherboard would it still work? I tried flashing and it just gives me an error when it tries to flash the patched boot.img

The developer.zip uses a different lsecupdate and the contents of the updater-script are different. The developer.zip is indeed for the 6521_1 models and you need the 6315_1 version.

Find attached a zip containing the lsecupdate for your unit and inside the 6315_1.zip the correct META-INF structure with the correct updater-script (see inside META-INF/com/google/android/ for the updater-script. Note that the updater-script has unix line-endings, not windows line-endings)
The patched boot image you created needs to be named boot.img, NOT patched_boot.img. Add this boot.img (with name boot.img) to the 6315_1.zip
Signing the zip remaines the same.
Copy the signed 6315_1.zip and the lsec6315update to a usb-stick.
Try to flash it.

Attachments

• uis7862.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 110

bennyasf

Sep 23, 2015
The developer.zip uses a different lsecupdate and the contents of the updater-script are different. The developer.zip is indeed for the 6521_1 models and you need the 6315_1 version.

Find attached a zip containing the lsecupdate for your unit and inside the 6315_1.zip the correct META-INF structure with the correct updater-script (see inside META-INF/com/google/android/ for the updater-script. Note that the updater-script has unix line-endings, not windows line-endings)
The patched boot image you created needs to be named boot.img, NOT patched_boot.img. Add this boot.img (with name boot.img) to the 6315_1.zip
Try to flash it.

Did everything you said but it gives an error still then reboots into the system.

edit: seems i cant even flash the firmware at all anymore leads to an error or no command and just reboots into system

Last edited:

cottec

Jul 3, 2012
i just got my 6,2" display replaced with the 7" version
did this in order to upgrade from a wrong described UOS04N4GS with a UOS03N4GS in order to have 1024x600 instead of 800x480 res

when i first booted it, it was showing some coloured lines on the right and bottom (probably the "additional new" pixels)
it asked me to recalibrate the touchscreen which was recognized as the bigger one, however, the resolution was still displayed as 800x480

i reflashed the 2020-04-09 firmware hoping this would solve the issue but it didnt...
going back to an old 2019-11-28 doesnt work as the device runs into an MCU update error before flashing the old firmware
according to the device information its a G23 and hence should be the newest version (compared to the G32)

does anyone know how to convince the unit to put out the higher res?

gamer765

Jan 14, 2009
You need to flash a display configuration file for your lcd. Better to ask Joying for the file rather than flashing random ones found online.

bennyasf

Sep 23, 2015

Try to flash it.

can I get help with root, I need root for an xposed module for carplay with steering wheel control

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
can I get help with root, I need root for an xposed module for carplay with steering wheel control

You are the first doing this on a brand new device on a new Android 10. We do not have expertise here.
Secondly: which Magisk are you using? The version 18.x from the developer.zip? The first Magisk version fully supporting Android 10 is Magisk V20. You might try using a Magisk 20+ version from the Magisk download site.

First discussions now also start on 4pda about the UIS7862 with the 6315 MCU. You might need some patience.

And using Carplay on the latest, fastest Android unit? Why ????
If you simply want to use your phone, why not simply buy a low-level, cheap unit that supports Carplay?
From my point of view this is a complete waste of money and modern, powerful headunit resources.
:confused:

bennyasf

Sep 23, 2015
You are the first doing this on a brand new device on a new Android 10. We do not have expertise here.
Secondly: which Magisk are you using? The version 18.x from the developer.zip? The first Magisk version fully supporting Android 10 is Magisk V20. You might try using a Magisk 20+ version from the Magisk download site.

First discussions now also start on 4pda about the UIS7862 with the 6315 MCU. You might need some patience.

And using Carplay on the latest, fastest Android unit? Why ????
If you simply want to use your phone, why not simply buy a low-level, cheap unit that supports Carplay?
From my point of view this is a complete waste of money and modern, powerful headunit resources.
:confused:

That’s exactly why i bought this android head unit, it was cheap and was meant for CarPlay nothing else, seems weird that you think it’s a waste of resource like the head unit can do that most, it still lags and isn’t as fast as you are making it out to be, and I’ll figure it out on my own then or wait like you said.

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
That’s exactly why i bought this android head unit, it was cheap and was meant for CarPlay nothing else, seems weird that you think it’s a waste of resource like the head unit can do that most, it still lags and isn’t as fast as you are making it out to be, and I’ll figure it out on my own then or wait like you said.

You say it lags, can you tell us what lags? And compared to what or which other head unit?
I'm not trolling but as this unit should be faster than the previous ones, I am really interested. I guess that users wanting to buy such a new uis7862 unit really would like to know as well.

bennyasf

Sep 23, 2015
You say it lags, can you tell us what lags? And compared to what or which other head unit?
I'm not trolling but as this unit should be faster than the previous ones, I am really interested. I guess that users wanting to buy such a new uis7862 unit really would like to know as well.

I had the 2gb android 8.1 version, bought this first for CarPlay but it wasn’t internal so i returned it, had that for about 3 weeks and that one wasn’t too bad with lag but it was slow, now i have the 4gb model with android 10 (was a surprise to me since it’s advertised as android 8.1) this one is faster but still hiccups and lags in random areas, it’s a lot better than the 2gb model but it’s using the old CPU so personally I’d say it’s still slow considering joying just uploaded a video of the new android 10 din they released and it uses a different cpu i believe since they don’t list it, it’s a guess. Anyways overall the system runs fine for the most part but will lag in areas like changing a/c or opening maps, sometimes it just freezes for a good 2 seconds, but better than the 2gb model, this could also be a firmware issue since it’s new and they haven’t released updates yet, like zlink was suppose to be in my firmware but they decided not to include it even though it’s advertised for internal CarPlay but I’m getting the new firmware this upcoming week. I’ll keep you updated but i wouldn’t say it’s worth upgrading your current unit unless you have the 2gb model and want something that stutters and lags less. (Still lags a bit tho)

Edit: also you can’t do adb over wifi i enabled the settings for it but the pop up immediately goes away which i believe has to be a firmware thing they setup because it seems almost intentional, no other ui i can change to to allow the pop up. And i believe they also messed with recovery because with the update they sent me all i get is error or no command when trying to flash.

Last edited:

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
Edit: also you can’t do adb over wifi i enabled the settings for it but the pop up immediately goes away which i believe has to be a firmware thing they setup because it seems almost intentional, no other ui i can change to to allow the pop up. And i believe they also messed with recovery because with the update they sent me all i get is error or no command when trying to flash.
No, that won't work. The latest releases are "release" releases and no longer "debug" releases or "user" releases.
ADB over WiFi simply won't work on "release" releases. That's Android builtin behavior.

bennyasf

Sep 23, 2015
No, that won't work. The latest releases are "release" releases and no longer "debug" releases or "user" releases.
ADB over WiFi simply won't work on "release" releases. That's Android builtin behavior.

i have an android 10 and 11 phone that say different and my old heatunit could also do adb over wifi

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

For the new android 10 models something is very off, tried flashing the Russian firmware and got an error again rebooting to recovery just gives a no command and boots back into the OS

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
i have an android 10 and 11 phone that say different and my old heatunit could also do adb over wifi

It has nothing to do with Android 10 or 11. I meant the lastes releases in head units, like the SC9853i and now the uis7862.
If you look in the system info or directly in the properties.
For the FYT SC9853i models you will see something like:
Code:
ro.build.display.id=OPM2.171019.012 release-keys
ro.build.version.release=8.1.0
ro.build.tags=release-keys
ro.build.description=sp9853i_1h10_vmmTos-user 8.1.0 OPM2.171019.012 14212 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=SPRD/sp9853i_1h10_vmmTos/sp9853i_1h10:8.1.0/OPM2.171019.012/14212:user/release-keys
ro.fota.version=OPM2.171019.012 release-keys_20200407-1215
For the FYT uis7862 units you will see:
Code:
ro.system.build.fingerprint=SPRD/ums512_1h10_Natv/ums512_1h10:10/QP1A.190711.020/32116:user/release-keys
ro.system.build.tags=release-keys
ro.system.build.version.release=10
ro.build.display.id=QP1A.190711.020 release-keys
ro.build.version.release=10
ro.build.description=ums512_1h10_Natv-user 10 QP1A.190711.020 32116 release-keys

The "release-keys" makes that the kernel will no longer accept these ADB over WiFi requests.

bennyasf

Sep 23, 2015
It has nothing to do with Android 10 or 11. I meant the lastes releases in head units, like the SC9853i and now the uis7862.
If you look in the system info or directly in the properties.
For the FYT SC9853i models you will see something like:
Code:
ro.build.display.id=OPM2.171019.012 release-keys
ro.build.version.release=8.1.0
ro.build.description=sp9853i_1h10_vmmTos-user 8.1.0 OPM2.171019.012 14212 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=SPRD/sp9853i_1h10_vmmTos/sp9853i_1h10:8.1.0/OPM2.171019.012/14212:user/release-keys
ro.fota.version=OPM2.171019.012 release-keys_20200407-1215
For the FYT uis7862 units you will see:
Code:
ro.system.build.fingerprint=SPRD/ums512_1h10_Natv/ums512_1h10:10/QP1A.190711.020/32116:user/release-keys
ro.system.build.tags=release-keys
ro.system.build.version.release=10
ro.build.display.id=QP1A.190711.020 release-keys
ro.build.version.release=10
ro.build.description=ums512_1h10_Natv-user 10 QP1A.190711.020 32116 release-keys

The "release-keys" makes that the kernel will no longer accept these ADB over WiFi requests.

ahh i see, hmm. I would assume rooting can fix this issue or im i mistaken on that?

by chnace do you know russian digits? im trying to go on the 4pda forum to ask if they get an error when trying to upgrade the firmware. its the the android logo with error thats it.

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
ahh i see, hmm. I would assume rooting can fix this issue or im i mistaken on that?

by chnace do you know russian digits? im trying to go on the 4pda forum to ask if they get an error when trying to upgrade the firmware. its the the android logo with error thats it.

4pda login: There are basically 2 options:
Via the Android app (don't know if it is there for iphones as well): https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/how-to-bypass-4pda-captchas/
I used this one: https://www.offlinemods.net/2017/09/how-to-register-account-on-4pdaru.html

bennyasf

Sep 23, 2015

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Strange. I will test tomorrow.
    I don't use rooting anymore as it only reduces functionality of the unit, and and with the partial custom flashing almost all "root things" can be achieved as well.
    Yeah, I ended up trying to patch boot.img on my Android mobile phone because it appears to work well on that. Only thing is, the resultant patched_boot.img then soft bricks the Joying. That was using the readme.rtf with the correct files for my Joying version. Lucky that reset pin 3x allowed me to flash an entire system back to the unit. So, I have a better understanding of what's involved now. People who have uploaded the root-img.zip's have basically saved all of us. It will never work again with the latest Magisk's :/ Anyway, love your work. Cheers for the help
    Yeah, I ended up trying to patch boot.img on my Android mobile phone because it appears to work well on that. Only thing is, the resultant patched_boot.img then soft bricks the Joying. That was using the readme.rtf with the correct files for my Joying version. Lucky that reset pin 3x allowed me to flash an entire system back to the unit. So, I have a better understanding of what's involved now. People who have uploaded the root-img.zip's have basically saved all of us. It will never work again with the latest Magisk's :/ Anyway, love your work. Cheers for the help
    I was able to use the latest Magisk on my newer unit to patch my boot image. The newest Magisk doesnt seem to do much and I had to search through Magisk a bit to find the patching function but was able to patch my boot image. As far a signing the patched boot image,I thought I had it done correctly but upon trying to flash the signed boot image,the unit failed to flash it. I then used one of the pre-made patched images and it worked for me. Pretty sad when Magisk does absolutely nothing anymore lol.
    Strange. I will test tomorrow.
    I don't use rooting anymore as it only reduces functionality of the unit, and and with the partial custom flashing almost all "root things" can be achieved as well.
    Finally starting to understand what you meant with this post. I actually think you lose functionality after rooting.
    Waze can no longer make any sounds, app problem? doesn't matter if radio or poweramp is running music/audio in background. Not sure what the issue is there?

Seriously think no use for root and I will be flashing the stock/original firmware back.
    ADDIT: Actually tasker w/ autoinput will be my next endeavour. I think I could achieve more with that.
    Does it need root or I am ok ?

It doesn't need root. It needs FYTstarter. See my sc9853i Q&A thread (note though that I didn't create FYTstarter)
    Tried it just then, is there a trick to using it?
    What do you mean? Install it, configure it for your applications, and go.
    First off a big thanks to the guys at 4pda (http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=938749&st=60#entry82238521) for doing all the hard work, I'm just writing this post as a guide for those who don't speak Russian - like myself :)
    Second thanks to all those on the Original Thread (https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...ying-android-8-1-intel-airmont-eight-t3897206) for helping me finally find an android head unit worth buying.

Compatible Firmware Versions:
    • 9853i 800X480 2019.3.20
    • 9853i 1024X600 2019.3.29
    • "New" 9853i 1280X480 新UI 2019.3.18
    • "Old" 9853i 1280X480 旧UI 2019.3.18

Legacy Support

Changelog:
    • April 10 2019:
      • Added new files for several units

Previous Changelogs:

• April 4 2019:
      • Fixed typo in Developer instructions
      • Added "Ultra Wide" version
    • March 28 2019:
      • Simplified Installation Process
      • Reformatted instructions

Warnings
    • I am not responsible for bricked devices. Proceed through this rooting process at your own risk.
    • Rooting your device will void Joying's waranty. (Even though it can be uninstalled in Magisk Manager).

Prereqs

Rooting Your Device
    1. Plug your Flash Drive or MicroSD into your computer. Make sure there's nothing on it.
    2. Extract the contents of the device-appropriate archive to your flash drive. You should have 2 files: "lsec6521update" and "6521_1.zip".
    3. Go to your head unit. Moment of truth; no turning back once you begin this next step! Plug your flash drive into the head unit. The update will be detected and the update will automatically begin.
    4. Your head unit will reboot into recovery and install the update containg root. DO NOT POWER OFF YOUR DEVICE OR UNPLUG THE FLASH DRIVE DURING THIS PROCESS!!! If you do, you may permanantly brick your device! Once prompted by the update process, remove your Flash Drive and let it boot back up into Android.

If you would like the more in depth "developer" tutorial, attached is Developer.zip.
    Inside I included "Readme.rtf" - a copy of the developer instructions with screenshots.
    Senior members, after following the above proceedure, I have a Joying-signed "6521_1.zip" file containg Magisk.
    Is this file specific to my unit or will others be able to flash this file to get root? If so it would make the rooting process a lot faster and noob-friendly. Thanks!
    Please see attached update file.
    Unzip to root of an empty flash drive and plug into head unit. Device will update automatically.
    **FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKED UNITS**
    I got emailed the update link to this morning also for the new firmware, just flashed it and it fixed all my problems (voice, notification bar etc)
    Im stoked. :) Joying has been super good and responding to emails and fixing stuff. One of the reasons I bought a Joying over some of the other crap out there.

Here is the patched boot.img with magisk file: Magisk 9853i 1024X600 or 800X480 Google 2019.5.15

Cant upload the firmware at work unfortunately but was able to patch the boot.img while driving to work :p
    Starting any user app on boot

So with the risk of looking like an idiot I want to share something for others in my situation on this Joying head unit:

I originally only rooted and struggled for the past 2 weeks unsuccessfully with xposed, because I wanted a way to start a "tasker app" on boot.
    For some unknown reason (to me at least) neither Tasker, Automate or Macrodroid are allowed to start on boot. Don't know if it's Joying firmware or Oreo in general as google comes up with this issue in general for Oreo.

So today I played around in Setting and in there are both "Start Navi app on launch" & an option to set the Navi app of choice. I never took much notice about this earlier, and I just assumed you could only choose installed Navi apps in there. But to my surprise you can choose any installed app.
    -So I have now solved my objective by simply setting Tasker in this setting and Tasker now starts on boot, and from Tasker I can start all other apps or tasks (like a Navi app so you dont loose that option). This is a perfect workaround and does not require root at all.
    Tasker can still only survive Sleep mode if you install the NoKill mod, but I dont use sleep mode anyway as boot is rather fast and ensure my 4g/wifi hotspot is already live when unit is done booting.

I don't know if this has been there always in previous Android versions/units so please bare with me if this is the case.
    Previous terminal command apk wasn't fully compatible with magisk and not to ask superuser grants. I found a new one and tried to generate other files, hope it is good enough but it is not so easily from an average garage...

This is exactly what I need. Thanks.
    I will start extending the JET apk