• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General HowTo: Root Joying SC9853i Head Unit

Search This thread

highkick05

Aug 30, 2020
Split screen is functionality from Android itself. The ms apk or any other FYT apk has nothing to do with that.
50%/50% or 33%/66% is determined by the layout set from the apk. Most apks only support 50%. Some apks have layouts that can work on 50% or 33%, or even other layout widths/percentages.
If you have a 33%/66% screen layout, you should be able to drag the separation bar to 50% and back again.
Yeah at this point, I've narrowed it down to being 2 settings files

Code:
customs_appid.properties:
appid=b99c74bae38c52ae
token=2d3893452746535fef63a651

Code:
fyt.prop:
ro.fyt.ccbwin=0
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
^ not sure why these files enable the newer steer.apk to actually work within the old UI

and the addition of the new UI 190043002_com.syu.steer.apk this seems to allow the HOME, FM & AM keys to trigger the actual Home and Radio action within the old UI. Has nothing to do with the ms.apk (both files same)

The UIs I am playing with are 9853i OS 1280X480 Old UI 2019.11.28 \ 9853i OS 1280X480 New UI 2019.11.28.
Going to open both steer apk's within Eclipse and view the differences.

highkick05

Aug 30, 2020
But, as you say split screen is Android functionality. I think the newer steer.apk is what is messing with the old UI 50/50 split screen. I would really love to just be able to open the old steer.apk in Android Studio or something and figure out what is happening and where the HOME FM & AM functions are pointing within this apk. Because it doesn't look like they work correctly.

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
But, as you say split screen is Android functionality. I think the newer steer.apk is what is messing with the old UI 50/50 split screen. I would really love to just be able to open the old steer.apk in Android Studio or something and figure out what is happening and where the HOME FM & AM functions are pointing within this apk. Because it doesn't look like they work correctly.
Most FYT apps use a totally incompatible layout scheme derived from very old PC and extremely old no longer formally supported Android java layouts. They work, but that's all. That is also why they need to create firmware versions for the several resolutions deviating from the standard 16:9.
Some of the very new apps do support split-screen. The rest doesn't as they are totally outdated crap and the developers never bothered to migrate to the proper Android layouts.
I have asked them multiple times since 2016, as it is not that difficult, but they either do not understand me or refuse to understand me (I think the latter).

Reactions: highkick05

highkick05

Aug 30, 2020
Yes, I've also read elsewhere that newer versions of Magisk do not work with my head unit which is similar to the Joying.

At one point I had Magisk installed and my head unit rooted. I then flashed a newer firmware and Magisk had updated to a newer version. The boot image patching no longer worked. I decided to not root my head unit and make the changes I wanted using another method. There is a thread in this forum that discusses this. The thread is "Modding your Joying/FYT SC9853i unit without root"

In any case, someone on the other forum, 4pda, discussed how to set up Magisk so that it updates or stays at the last version that worked. They indicate that version magisk version 20.3 is the latest that works and they were using MagiskManager 7.5.1 for installation. They indicated to go to Advanced Settings, select side channel and drive updates and use/enter the following after change hxxps to https:

hxxps://raw.githubusercontent.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/5cd6569c6439fdf67f0261806927f89e304b5a6f/stable.json

So, whenever it checks for an update, it will not update Magisk and it will not update MagiskManager.

So, if you really want or need root, you can try the above yourself. I have not done this or tested it as I am happy with the changes I have made without rooting my head unit.

You should research this yourself. Anything you try or do to your head unit is your responsibility...as always :)
So I read this further; the link to github json, the stub-release.apk is no longer a valid link. Not sure if this effects it. But then you have the audio mixer problems after root, and someone saying its because the Magisk root method does not finish correectly. I'd be so happy if someone fixed the audio mixing issues. I would probably keep the root then. Having Waze not give directions on top of poweramp or radio running at the same time is probably a major requirement for most Joying users. I've given this my all, I think I will give up and go back to stock :cry::ROFLMAO:

Having said that I've practically made my own custom firmware now, editing txt's in the syu.ms.apk + adding apk's to the Allapp. Chaning config.txt ro.fyt.launcher=com.teslacoilsw.launcher (Nova launcher) and flashing that to the HU. Presto, full wide screen use, only downfall is the old syu.steer.apk doesn't map the HOME + FM + AM buttons to my eBay steering wheel controls. But I have splitscreen 50/50 now Oh well I will live with this! will check back to see if any more progress has been made in the future - perhaps a new firmware release ! thanks guys

mastrv

Jul 1, 2010
So I read this further; the link to github json, the stub-release.apk is no longer a valid link. Not sure if this effects it. But then you have the audio mixer problems after root, and someone saying its because the Magisk root method does not finish correectly. I'd be so happy if someone fixed the audio mixing issues. I would probably keep the root then. Having Waze not give directions on top of poweramp or radio running at the same time is probably a major requirement for most Joying users. I've given this my all, I think I will give up and go back to stock :cry::ROFLMAO:

Having said that I've practically made my own custom firmware now, editing txt's in the syu.ms.apk + adding apk's to the Allapp. Chaning config.txt ro.fyt.launcher=com.teslacoilsw.launcher (Nova launcher) and flashing that to the HU. Presto, full wide screen use, only downfall is the old syu.steer.apk doesn't map the HOME + FM + AM buttons to my eBay steering wheel controls. But I have splitscreen 50/50 now Oh well I will live with this! will check back to see if any more progress has been made in the future - perhaps a new firmware release ! thanks guys
The link still works. I tried it. You have to change hxxps to https.

If you can modify the firmware to make your own custom firmware, as I did, you can add and remove apks as needed. Why don't you replace the old syu.steer.apk app with the one you want?

I also initially had root and found several issues occurred with root. I decided to go stock, with my own customizations, and then to use alternate methods that could make changes to the firmware without actually rooting the head unit. What do you need root for?

You should have a look at the thread about Modding without root: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/modding-your-joying-fyt-sc9853i-unit-without-root.3974357/

highkick05

Aug 30, 2020

If you can modify the firmware to make your own custom firmware, as I did, you can add and remove apks as needed. Why don't you replace the old syu.steer.apk app with the one you want?

I also initially had root and found several issues occurred with root. I decided to go stock, with my own customizations, and then to use alternate methods that could make changes to the firmware without actually rooting the head unit. What do you need root for?

You should have a look at the thread about Modding without root: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/modding-your-joying-fyt-sc9853i-unit-without-root.3974357/
stub-release.apk link is not there within the json file on the link you pasted been removed from the github.

The non-root alternative method was the first methods I used, before I tried to root the unit.

The syu.steer.apk is the one that fixes the HOME , FM & AM buttons on my eBay steering wheel controls. However, it is from the new GUI firmware and corrupts the interface, giving a 66/33% splitscreen that is unfixable and looks lopsided. I could just flash that using the non-root method, though I choose not too.

A more full proof rooting method is needed.

mastrv

Jul 1, 2010
stub-release.apk link is not there within the json file on the link you pasted been removed from the github.

The non-root alternative method was the first methods I used, before I tried to root the unit.

The syu.steer.apk is the one that fixes the HOME , FM & AM buttons on my eBay steering wheel controls. However, it is from the new GUI firmware and corrupts the interface, giving a 66/33% splitscreen that is unfixable and looks lopsided. I could just flash that using the non-root method, though I choose not too.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were looking for regarding to magisk.

If you go to https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases?page=2 and look at Magisk Manager 7.5.1, you will the stub-release.apk for that particular version of magisk. The URL for it is https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/manager-v7.5.1/stub-release.apk so you can update the json file to point to that file. Not sure if that would be correct, but I believe so. You can always try it and let us know. Worse case, you can reflash the previous firmware.

Note that since these are all pointing to resources that can be removed or changed at any time, this means at some point in the future that can happen.

For the steer apk, not sure what you mean by 66/33%. When I run my steering apk, I run it full screen and not in split screen. In any case, I can split the screen at 50/50 or 66/33.

highkick05

Aug 30, 2020
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were looking for regarding to magisk.

If you go to https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases?page=2 and look at Magisk Manager 7.5.1, you will the stub-release.apk for that particular version of magisk. The URL for it is https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/manager-v7.5.1/stub-release.apk so you can update the json file to point to that file. Not sure if that would be correct, but I believe so. You can always try it and let us know. Worse case, you can reflash the previous firmware.

Note that since these are all pointing to resources that can be removed or changed at any time, this means at some point in the future that can happen.

For the steer apk, not sure what you mean by 66/33%. When I run my steering apk, I run it full screen and not in split screen. In any case, I can split the screen at 50/50 or 66/33.
how do you set the Split screen and adjust the portions of screen apps takes up? that's weird never done that for me.

mastrv

Jul 1, 2010
By default, all my apps run full screen unless I'm already in split screen. I start split screen by first starting one app, then clicking on a 3-vertical dot icon in the top right of the status bar. Here's a picture that isn't my car, but this is what it looks like:

20200919_215114.png

I can then move the bar in the middle slightly and the screen proportions change to 66/33 or 33/66 depending on which way I move the divider. When I press the 3-dot-vertical icon, I'm presented with a list of recently opened apps to select run in the 2nd app window. So if I run Waze first, it opens full screen, I press the 3-dots to select PowerAmp. If it's not there, I press the home icon, and start PowerAmp from the home screen. It fills in the right half of the screen.

Some apps are not designed to run in split screen with a smaller window for display. Sometimes a message says that. It will still run but some controls may not display or thinks might be too compressed.

To get out of split screen, I just drag the divider all the way to either the left or right edge. That won't stop the app, just brings the remaining app to run in full screen. So if I'm running Waze and PowerAmp and then slide PowerAmp off the screen, the music keeps playing. Or if I slide Waze off the screen, it's still telling me directions and when I go back to it, it's still navigating along my route.

How do you do split screen?

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
Are you saying don't bother rooting? I assumed they stopped supporting it since I hadn't seen any recent versions, recently. So I'd figure I could then root it with out much worry of warranty void.
You were very short in your first post. I only thought you wanted to flash the 20200407 firmware.
Yes, you can use that 2020407 rooted boot image. But I don't root my unit anymore. It brings nothing extra that you can't achive also with available tools.
What's more: You loose tts voices in all those navigation apps and other apps that use TTS.

Reactions: weasel18

weasel18

Jan 28, 2016
You were very short in your first post. I only thought you wanted to flash the 20200407 firmware.
Yes, you can use that 2020407 rooted boot image. But I don't root my unit anymore. It brings nothing extra that you can't achive also with available tools.
What's more: You loose tts voices in all those navigation apps and other apps that use TTS.
I apologize. I realize now how that did sound. I left some info out haha. mainly I want to root to see if I can update build.prop to a slightly more current device model and id like to tinker with Apple Musics Dolby Atmos feature in my car as i have a DSP and time delayed.

Trenox

Oct 11, 2021

Hi,

i only need the feature to autostart an app when the system boots up.
Can i make this work without root ?

Moderator Announcement

Thread has been cleaned from references and links to 4pda! 4pda is not only another phone related website (and not at all affiliated with xda-developers) but also well known for the distribution of malware and warez. References to 4pda are not accepted on XDA. I uge EVERYBODY to refrain from such references in future!

XDA Forum Rules (excerpt):
6. Do not post or request warez.

If a piece of software requires you to pay to use it, then pay for it. We do not accept warez nor do we permit members to request, post, promote or describe ways in which warez, cracks, serial codes or other means of avoiding payment, can be obtained or used. This is a site of developers, i.e. the sort of people who create such software. When you cheat a software developer, you cheat us as a community.

(...)

11. Don’t post with the intention of selling something.
  • Don’t use XDA to advertise your product or service. Proprietors of for-pay products or services, may use XDA to get feedback, provide beta access, or a free version of their product for XDA users and to offer support, but not to post with the intention of selling. This includes promoting sites similar / substantially similar to XDA-Developers.com.
  • Do not post press releases, announcements, links to trial software or commercial services, unless you’re posting an exclusive release for XDA-Developers.com.
  • Encouraging members to participate in forum activities on other phone related sites is prohibited.
  • Off-site downloads are permitted if the site is non-commercial and does not require registration.
  • Off-site downloads from sites requiring registration are NOT encouraged but may be permitted if both of the following conditions are met:
    A) The site belongs to a member of XDA-Developers with at least 1500 posts and 2 years membership, who actively maintains an XDA-Developers support thread(s) / posts, related to the download.
    B) The site is a relatively small, personal website without commercial advertising / links (i.e. not a competitor forum-based site with purposes and aims similar to those of XDA-Developers.com.)

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

Vinyvince

Jul 19, 2009
First off a big thanks to the guys at {Mod edit} for doing all the hard work, I'm just writing this post as a guide for those who don't speak Russian - like myself :)
Second thanks to all those on the Original Thread (https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...ying-android-8-1-intel-airmont-eight-t3897206) for helping me finally find an android head unit worth buying.

Compatible Firmware Versions:
  • 9853i 800X480 2019.3.20
  • 9853i 1024X600 2019.3.29
  • "New" 9853i 1280X480 新UI 2019.3.18
  • "Old" 9853i 1280X480 旧UI 2019.3.18

Legacy Support

Changelog:
  • April 10 2019:
    • Added new files for several units

Previous Changelogs:

• April 4 2019:
    • Fixed typo in Developer instructions
    • Added "Ultra Wide" version
  • March 28 2019:
    • Simplified Installation Process
    • Reformatted instructions

Warnings
  • I am not responsible for bricked devices. Proceed through this rooting process at your own risk.
  • Rooting your device will void Joying's waranty. (Even though it can be uninstalled in Magisk Manager).

Prereqs

Rooting Your Device
  1. Plug your Flash Drive or MicroSD into your computer. Make sure there's nothing on it.
  2. Extract the contents of the device-appropriate archive to your flash drive. You should have 2 files: "lsec6521update" and "6521_1.zip".
  3. Go to your head unit. Moment of truth; no turning back once you begin this next step! Plug your flash drive into the head unit. The update will be detected and the update will automatically begin.
  4. Your head unit will reboot into recovery and install the update containg root. DO NOT POWER OFF YOUR DEVICE OR UNPLUG THE FLASH DRIVE DURING THIS PROCESS!!! If you do, you may permanantly brick your device! Once prompted by the update process, remove your Flash Drive and let it boot back up into Android.

If you would like the more in depth "developer" tutorial, attached is Developer.zip.
Inside I included "Readme.rtf" - a copy of the developer instructions with screenshots.
Hello.

Can you tell me where is the "Old" 9853i 1280X480 旧UI 2019.3.18 . zip ? In an another page ?
I've a EU-JY-HOS01N4GS-1
android 8.1.0
1280x480
4+64GB
APP 2019-11-29

And I can't resize (no root and Joying Extra tools not working) or overscan (wifi adb unauthorized and impossible with not really OTG usb A port) and I want this to installing the joying 8.8 in my Corvette.

Last edited:

forgivegod

Jun 21, 2011

Its not that hard. See this for how to do it on Android 12 + OTAs!!!!! :) , https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/read-this-before-updating.4356219/

Essentially,
1 - install magisk onto some android device
2 - get the firmware from whoever you bought it from, flash your device and make sure it works
3 - keep that firmware and open whatever zips you find until you locate the boot.img
4 - use magisk to patch that boot.img
5 - swap out the patched file for the boot.img file in step 3 (rename to boot.img)
6 - rezip everything exactly as it was (dont create new folders in the zip...i did the first time, perhaps you did too)
7 - flash your device again with new zip

in some cases 7 might fail, and you will have to resign the boot.img . see here : https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/signing-boot-images-for-android-verified-boot-avb-v8.3600606/

Last edited:

highkick05

Aug 30, 2020
Its not that hard. See this for how to do it on Android 12 + OTAs!!!!! :) , https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/read-this-before-updating.4356219/

Essentially,
1 - install magisk onto some android device
2 - get the firmware from whoever you bought it from, flash your device and make sure it works
3 - keep that firmware and open whatever zips you find until you locate the boot.img
4 - use magisk to patch that boot.img
5 - swap out the patched file for the boot.img file in step 3 (rename to boot.img)
6 - rezip everything exactly as it was (dont create new folders in the zip...i did the first time, perhaps you did too)
7 - flash your device again with new zip

in some cases 7 might fail, and you will have to resign the boot.img . see here : https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/signing-boot-images-for-android-verified-boot-avb-v8.3600606/

Then enjoy your new rooted / or gone back to original firmware which won't matter anyway because your audio mixing won't work anymore because its not rooted/patched the system correctly.

I've done all of the above man. Sound will only work with the app you're using. i.e. voice won't work with Waze while listening to music

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Then enjoy your new rooted / or gone back to original firmware which won't matter anyway because your audio mixing won't work anymore because its not rooted/patched the system correctly.

I've done all of the above man. Sound will only work with the app you're using. i.e. voice won't work with Waze while listening to music
    Ahh yes. Good thing I have the later UIS7682 model. Either way, I never did voice command anything on my old airmont. I'm more button oriented (tasker).
    Yeah... hows the functionality on that thing? So you've rooted that succesfully, does the audio work well across all apps after rooting ?
    Like a champ. Is the most fluid device I've seen. I never noticed any issues on the airmont either. Again, I dont care for voice command anything.
    Working in hacking the radio app to a decent color/skin. More on this soon.

I wish I knew where you got stuck, like error message or something. I feel like I could figure out whats missing
    First off a big thanks to the guys at {Mod edit} for doing all the hard work, I'm just writing this post as a guide for those who don't speak Russian - like myself :)
    Second thanks to all those on the Original Thread (https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...ying-android-8-1-intel-airmont-eight-t3897206) for helping me finally find an android head unit worth buying.

Compatible Firmware Versions:
    • 9853i 800X480 2019.3.20
    • 9853i 1024X600 2019.3.29
    • "New" 9853i 1280X480 新UI 2019.3.18
    • "Old" 9853i 1280X480 旧UI 2019.3.18

Legacy Support

Changelog:
    • April 10 2019:
      • Added new files for several units

Previous Changelogs:

• April 4 2019:
      • Fixed typo in Developer instructions
      • Added "Ultra Wide" version
    • March 28 2019:
      • Simplified Installation Process
      • Reformatted instructions

Warnings
    • I am not responsible for bricked devices. Proceed through this rooting process at your own risk.
    • Rooting your device will void Joying's waranty. (Even though it can be uninstalled in Magisk Manager).

Prereqs

Rooting Your Device
    1. Plug your Flash Drive or MicroSD into your computer. Make sure there's nothing on it.
    2. Extract the contents of the device-appropriate archive to your flash drive. You should have 2 files: "lsec6521update" and "6521_1.zip".
    3. Go to your head unit. Moment of truth; no turning back once you begin this next step! Plug your flash drive into the head unit. The update will be detected and the update will automatically begin.
    4. Your head unit will reboot into recovery and install the update containg root. DO NOT POWER OFF YOUR DEVICE OR UNPLUG THE FLASH DRIVE DURING THIS PROCESS!!! If you do, you may permanantly brick your device! Once prompted by the update process, remove your Flash Drive and let it boot back up into Android.

If you would like the more in depth "developer" tutorial, attached is Developer.zip.
    Inside I included "Readme.rtf" - a copy of the developer instructions with screenshots.
    Senior members, after following the above proceedure, I have a Joying-signed "6521_1.zip" file containg Magisk.
    Is this file specific to my unit or will others be able to flash this file to get root? If so it would make the rooting process a lot faster and noob-friendly. Thanks!
    Please see attached update file.
    Unzip to root of an empty flash drive and plug into head unit. Device will update automatically.
    **FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKED UNITS**
    I got emailed the update link to this morning also for the new firmware, just flashed it and it fixed all my problems (voice, notification bar etc)
    Im stoked. :) Joying has been super good and responding to emails and fixing stuff. One of the reasons I bought a Joying over some of the other crap out there.

Here is the patched boot.img with magisk file: Magisk 9853i 1024X600 or 800X480 Google 2019.5.15

Cant upload the firmware at work unfortunately but was able to patch the boot.img while driving to work :p
    Starting any user app on boot

So with the risk of looking like an idiot I want to share something for others in my situation on this Joying head unit:

I originally only rooted and struggled for the past 2 weeks unsuccessfully with xposed, because I wanted a way to start a "tasker app" on boot.
    For some unknown reason (to me at least) neither Tasker, Automate or Macrodroid are allowed to start on boot. Don't know if it's Joying firmware or Oreo in general as google comes up with this issue in general for Oreo.

So today I played around in Setting and in there are both "Start Navi app on launch" & an option to set the Navi app of choice. I never took much notice about this earlier, and I just assumed you could only choose installed Navi apps in there. But to my surprise you can choose any installed app.
    -So I have now solved my objective by simply setting Tasker in this setting and Tasker now starts on boot, and from Tasker I can start all other apps or tasks (like a Navi app so you dont loose that option). This is a perfect workaround and does not require root at all.
    Tasker can still only survive Sleep mode if you install the NoKill mod, but I dont use sleep mode anyway as boot is rather fast and ensure my 4g/wifi hotspot is already live when unit is done booting.

I don't know if this has been there always in previous Android versions/units so please bare with me if this is the case.
    Previous terminal command apk wasn't fully compatible with magisk and not to ask superuser grants. I found a new one and tried to generate other files, hope it is good enough but it is not so easily from an average garage...

This is exactly what I need. Thanks.
    I will start extending the JET apk