[HOWTO][ROOT][MULTIOS] Howto root your VIZIO vTab1008 the easy way and more.

Search This thread

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
Important Update on Dec 2, 2011: Please do not update to Vizio Update 1.5. This will remove the root as well as disable this hack. According to user felixand in this Post (confirmed by me). You can use Titanium Backup to freeze the Vizio Update Service until a new way arround this is found.
Do not use AnTek Taskmanager to freeze it, or you will be bricked.

New rooting method for latest honeycomb rom HERE
thanx to @skinnyquiver

Hi, i had a hard time to root my vizio vTab because i was not able to get adb access. Since there are other threads in here that have howtos but none worked for me, i thought I'd give a full and easy to follow guide to do it.

This thread is intended to reflect rooting methods for multiple os versions, but at the moment only contains instructions for win7 64bit, as i had no dice to get adb tuning on my vista 32bit system. If anyone has rooted this tablet using a different os, please write up a howto as an answer in this thread and i will link to your post in this linklist:

Rooting under this Operating Systems:

• Windows 7 64bit
  • Windows 7 32bit (above tutorial is working)
  • Windows Vista 64bit (please write a guide)
  • Windows Vista 32bit (please write a guide)
  • Windows XP 64bit (please write a guide)
  • Windows XP 32bit (please write a guide)
  • Linux (please write a guide)
  • Mac OSX (guide by rprr)
Finally i want to add a chapter for after root goodies, please give suggestions on what you did and think others could need this.

--------------------------
tapatalked from vizio vtab1008

Last edited:

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
Windows 7 64bit

Prerequisites:

HARDWARE:

• Windows7 64bit PC
  • USB cable

SOFTWARE:

• PdaNet installer from here thanx to auburnham for the tip
  • modified DooMLoRD v3 root (appended to this post) original Thread i just changed the adb.exe from Android SDK

Steps to take:

• Enable USB debugging under Settings -> Applications -> Development
  • Install PdaNet for 64bit Windows, it will install the working ADB drivers for you, just follow its instructions
  • unpack my modified DooMLoRD zip and run runme.bat
  • wait for the vTab to reboot
  • enjoy root

Most thanx for this go to rprr for the actual rooting method

Last edited:

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
What to do after Root

here a collection of things what you can do with root access, this list will be extended with your suggestions when they come in

Last edited:

dornstar

Aug 22, 2009
Thank you so much. I had similar issues with W7 64 and this made it ridiculously easy.

rprr

Nov 4, 2011
[*]Auto Memory Manager
adjust your autokiller values, my recommended settings are somewhere bitween mild and agressive:
FA: 6MB
VA: 12MB
SS: 16MB
HA: 31MB
CP: 48MB
EA: 63MB

Many thanks. I just installed this. I will see how the performance is after a couple of days. I have just set it to Mild.

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
I am not sure, but mild could still be too low, as vm.heap_size is set to 64mb, which i guessis the ammount of ram the system allocates before an app starts for its vm.

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
Great job! Do you know if there are any ROMs available for VTAB1008?

Not yet, rprr is currently trying to get clockworkmod recovery to work, so we can use update.zip files. After that i am pretty sure the cooking will start. Without it we would be able to use adb to install roms, but clockwork mod is way easier.

----------------------------------------
tapatalked

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
Btw, if any upcoming rom chef is interested in a method to use adb for rom installation he could check leastatious rom by the dark lestat this rom uses a bat script to customize and install, it is made for galaxy3, but the method would be working for us as well.

tapatalked

LadyAngler

Mar 27, 2011
I finally got my Vtab rooted...WOOT!
I wanted to get it done before that nasty update came and closed the exploit.

I have a Vista 64bit and your instructions, pda net drivers, modded doom file did the trick!
Thank you so very much for the tutorial!

I froze Vizio update with Titanium for now. Will that keep me safe from the nasty update?

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
I finally got my Vtab rooted...WOOT!
I wanted to get it done before that nasty update came and closed the exploit.

I have a Vista 64bit and your instructions, pda net drivers, modded doom file did the trick!
Thank you so very much for the tutorial!

I froze Vizio update with Titanium for now. Will that keep me safe from the nasty update?

Yes, but you wont get any updates to the system until you unfreeze it. Except if we get a custom rom.

LadyAngler

Mar 27, 2011
Well hopefully we get a rom someday LOL. Vizio just made it a little more unlikely in that regard... Hmpft!
I may un-freeze if we ever see ice cream.
Right now just pulling for rprr to get clockwork so I can theme my talk apk. LOL

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

ronbot

Aug 22, 2007
Independence
alright guys... noob here... just got my vtab about 2 weeks ago, my first android... give me some quick read about "why's" of rooting it.

Completely familiar with jailbreaking my iphone, Cydia is an awesome resource (as well as Installous)... is there such a similar community of developers for 'droids?

I'm still at 1.4, so as long as it doesn't automatically take 1.5 without asking, I'll deny any upgrades until I hear back...

thanks!

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
alright guys... noob here... just got my vtab about 2 weeks ago, my first android... give me some quick read about "why's" of rooting it.

Completely familiar with jailbreaking my iphone, Cydia is an awesome resource (as well as Installous)... is there such a similar community of developers for 'droids?

I'm still at 1.4, so as long as it doesn't automatically take 1.5 without asking, I'll deny any upgrades until I hear back...

thanks!

Firstly with root you can disable update service, which gets annoying after a while if you dont want to update to 1.5. Also you can run applications that require root to do certain tasks, like sync the system clock with a timeserver (clocksync from market) or change the mountpoints of your sdcard and even more.

tapatalked

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
. . . You can use Titanium Backup to freeze the Vizio Update Service until a new way arround this is found.

I don't think it is certain that it is the app used to freeze the update service that causes the failure to restart. While it might be - we do not have enough info to be sure. Collecting info about this in this thread.

Last edited:

ronbot

Aug 22, 2007
Independence
Noob here again...

Got prompt for 1.5 update, exited that prompt (Home/Exit key)

Followed directions below, stuck @ "wait for the vTab to reboot"
Loaded pdanet - OK
Ran doomlord easy rooting toolkit - stuck at :

--- STARTING ----
--- WAITING FOR DEVICE
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

Followed these instructions:

Steps to take:

Install PdaNet for 64bit Windows, it will install the working ADB drivers for you, just follow its instructions
unpack my modified DooMLoRD zip and run runme.bat
wait for the vTab to reboot
enjoy root

Help?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Important Update on Dec 2, 2011: Please do not update to Vizio Update 1.5. This will remove the root as well as disable this hack. According to user felixand in this Post (confirmed by me). You can use Titanium Backup to freeze the Vizio Update Service until a new way arround this is found.

New rooting method for latest honeycomb rom HERE
    thanx to @skinnyquiver

Hi, i had a hard time to root my vizio vTab because i was not able to get adb access. Since there are other threads in here that have howtos but none worked for me, i thought I'd give a full and easy to follow guide to do it.

This thread is intended to reflect rooting methods for multiple os versions, but at the moment only contains instructions for win7 64bit, as i had no dice to get adb tuning on my vista 32bit system. If anyone has rooted this tablet using a different os, please write up a howto as an answer in this thread and i will link to your post in this linklist:

Rooting under this Operating Systems:

• Windows 7 64bit
    • Windows 7 32bit (above tutorial is working)
    • Windows Vista 64bit (please write a guide)
    • Windows Vista 32bit (please write a guide)
    • Windows XP 64bit (please write a guide)
    • Windows XP 32bit (please write a guide)
    • Linux (please write a guide)
    • Mac OSX (guide by rprr)
    Finally i want to add a chapter for after root goodies, please give suggestions on what you did and think others could need this.

What to do after Root

here a collection of things what you can do with root access, this list will be extended with your suggestions when they come in

Windows 7 64bit

Prerequisites:

HARDWARE:

• Windows7 64bit PC
    • USB cable

SOFTWARE:

• PdaNet installer from here thanx to auburnham for the tip
    • modified DooMLoRD v3 root (appended to this post) original Thread i just changed the adb.exe from Android SDK

Steps to take:

• Enable USB debugging under Settings -> Applications -> Development
    • Install PdaNet for 64bit Windows, it will install the working ADB drivers for you, just follow its instructions
    • unpack my modified DooMLoRD zip and run runme.bat
    • wait for the vTab to reboot
    • enjoy root

Most thanx for this go to rprr for the actual rooting method
    Thank you again.

Anyone here do the external SD card hack to use it as actual available memory to transfer Apps to?

Sent from my Vizio Tablet via Tapatalk

I have done it. Works great for me.