• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter - Root Injected L900VPALJC +[TWRP] + more

Search This thread

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
This is a root injected FACTORY Stock L900VPALJ1 Odin Flashable Image. You flash this in Odin just as you would the completely stock ROM from samsung. I've simply injected the su binary and SuperSu app so you now have rooted stock image.

So if you want to keep your device stock yet have the functionality of root without tripping the counter or messing up OTA updates then this would be your best bet.

You can get ODIN here
and the drivers for the SPH-L900 so ODIN can detect your phone can be found at Samsung's site. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab at the bottom and then on Software for the latest driver.

Instructions:

First, Download Image:
New Full Rom VPALJC
Mirror 1: root66_SPR_L900VPALJC.7z

Orig Release JB 4.1.1
Mirror 1: root66_SPR_L900VPALJ1.7z
Mirror 2: root66_SPR_L900VPALJ1.7z

Second, Extract and Flash:
Extract the root66_SPR_L900VPALJ1.tar.md5 from the .7z file you downloaded.
Use Odin, put phone into download mode [with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_SPR_L900VPALJ1.tar.md5 you downloaded.
Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
click start and
when done let phone reboot.
If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

OTA Updates:
Stock Recovery: Once rooted with above method, if you receive a notification for an OTA update, it has been verified you can use OTA RootKeeper to retain root through the update process.

Non-Stock Recovery: If you have loaded a non-stock recovery (per below) you can simply use it to flash the OTA update flashable zip I've created.
Mirror 1: OTA Update LJ1 to LJC
Mirror 2: OTA Update LJ1 to LJC

Optional, Recovery (will trip counter):
It seems loading any custom recovery will trip the download mode flash counter. Loading a non stock recovery will also prevent you from successfully applying any OTA updates however here is a procedure for any who want a non-stock recovery:
Currently I see TWRP has support for this device so the instructions here will install that recovery.
Option 1: Download GooManager from the Play store. Once installed click the menu and select "Install OpenRecovery Script".
Option 2: Download the TWRP recovery image here. Copy it to the /sdcard of your phone.
Connect your phone to your computer and use adb
type adb shell
once in the shell run su
then
dd if=/sdcard/openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.1-t0ltespr.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9

Alternate if unfamiliar with adb commands
Grab android terminal emulator from the play store and run the same commands starting with su and then the dd command.

De-Bloater
If you've made it this far with a stock, rooted phone with CWM or TWRP and you don't want to flash a custom rom (which will do its own de-bloating) you can check out my mrRobinson Note II De-Bloater to easily get rid of bloat system apps you no longer want to see. Simply flash in CWM or TWRP like anything else and you will be presented with a menu system to choose what to remove. If you are unsure it is safe to pick Minimal and still get a decent de-bloat.​

Bonus Files
ODIN Flashable LJC Stock Recovery: SPR_recovery_L900VPALJC.tar.md5
CWM Flashable LJC Modem: modem_CWM_L900VPALJC.zip

History:
I've injected root into other stock images and those threads have a lot of valuable information which could answer some questions that may arise here. If you have time to do some reading here are a few of the informative ones:
Samsung Galaxy S3 [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel ]
Samsung Galaxy S3 [TMO / Wind / Mobilicity]
Also did sprint and vzw but there isn't much there that won't be covered above.

FAQ
  1. Does this remove the Sprint bloatware?
    A: No. It is same as stock, nothing is removed.
  2. Does this use an unsecured boot.img
    A: No. This flashes the stock boot.img in the VPALJ1 image.
  3. If my flash counter has been tripped, and I flash this and reset the counter, will it stay at 0.
    A: Yes, as long as you don't then flash a non-stock recovery.
  4. Can I still get OTA updates?
    A: Yes if you do not load a custom recovery or remove any system apps OTA updates will still come and be able to be successfully applied. If you want to retain root through the OTA process I'd recommend trying the SuperSU survival mode.

Last edited:

moose1313

Mar 25, 2012
No. Custom roms would trip.

Thanks I only asked because I figured if it could be injected as in tricking the phone this is coming from the manufacturer you could also tweak other things and still get away with it. ..Also without an OTA released yet can you say 100% an OTA will go through with no problems if we used this Thanks again

Sent from >> here <<

fatboypup

Jul 19, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
www.myspace.com
yay gonna run this and flash the new update .... ive been doing dirty jellybomb flashes for quite awhile time a start with a fresh base :good:

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Just wanted to let everyone know I did this method then accepted the OTA update and I'm still rooted. Thanks for this!

I did it and lost root

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
yay gonna run this and flash the new update .... ive been doing dirty jellybomb flashes for quite awhile time a start with a fresh base :good:

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

I did it and lost root

yes you should as it overwrites all /system. use an ota rootkeeper or supersu survival mode to retain root through the ota process.

Reactions: BigErnM

fatboypup

Jul 19, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
www.myspace.com
Yes sorry must of been delirious last night. Some of my programs that need root (like mybackuppro) still work after the OTA so I just assumed all was good. Titanium backup doesn't however confirming no root =/. Best method to get it back?

i ran CF auto root then installed rootkeeper than flashed the update again ..... still tying to get custom recovery going at the moment TWRP from goo manager says it installed but its not sticking i goto recovery and its still stock :confused:

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
i ran CF auto root then installed rootkeeper than flashed the update again ..... still tying to get custom recovery going at the moment TWRP from goo manager says it installed but its not sticking i goto recovery and its still stock :confused:

if you have a root explorer go to /system/etc and delete the install-recovery.sh file you see there. Or just rename it something else like install-recovery.bak

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a root injected FACTORY Stock L900VPALJ1 Odin Flashable Image. You flash this in Odin just as you would the completely stock ROM from samsung. I've simply injected the su binary and SuperSu app so you now have rooted stock image.

So if you want to keep your device stock yet have the functionality of root without tripping the counter or messing up OTA updates then this would be your best bet.

You can get ODIN here
    and the drivers for the SPH-L900 so ODIN can detect your phone can be found at Samsung's site. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab at the bottom and then on Software for the latest driver.

Instructions:

First, Download Image:
    New Full Rom VPALJC
    Mirror 1: root66_SPR_L900VPALJC.7z

Orig Release JB 4.1.1
    Mirror 1: root66_SPR_L900VPALJ1.7z
    Mirror 2: root66_SPR_L900VPALJ1.7z

Second, Extract and Flash:
    Extract the root66_SPR_L900VPALJ1.tar.md5 from the .7z file you downloaded.
    Use Odin, put phone into download mode [with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
    once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_SPR_L900VPALJ1.tar.md5 you downloaded.
    Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
    click start and
    when done let phone reboot.
    If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
    If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

OTA Updates:
    Stock Recovery: Once rooted with above method, if you receive a notification for an OTA update, it has been verified you can use OTA RootKeeper to retain root through the update process.

Non-Stock Recovery: If you have loaded a non-stock recovery (per below) you can simply use it to flash the OTA update flashable zip I've created.
    Mirror 1: OTA Update LJ1 to LJC
    Mirror 2: OTA Update LJ1 to LJC

Optional, Recovery (will trip counter):
    It seems loading any custom recovery will trip the download mode flash counter. Loading a non stock recovery will also prevent you from successfully applying any OTA updates however here is a procedure for any who want a non-stock recovery:
    Currently I see TWRP has support for this device so the instructions here will install that recovery.
    Option 1: Download GooManager from the Play store. Once installed click the menu and select "Install OpenRecovery Script".
    Option 2: Download the TWRP recovery image here. Copy it to the /sdcard of your phone.
    Connect your phone to your computer and use adb
    type adb shell
    once in the shell run su
    then
    dd if=/sdcard/openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.1-t0ltespr.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9

Alternate if unfamiliar with adb commands
    Grab android terminal emulator from the play store and run the same commands starting with su and then the dd command.

De-Bloater
    If you've made it this far with a stock, rooted phone with CWM or TWRP and you don't want to flash a custom rom (which will do its own de-bloating) you can check out my mrRobinson Note II De-Bloater to easily get rid of bloat system apps you no longer want to see. Simply flash in CWM or TWRP like anything else and you will be presented with a menu system to choose what to remove. If you are unsure it is safe to pick Minimal and still get a decent de-bloat.​

Bonus Files
    ODIN Flashable LJC Stock Recovery: SPR_recovery_L900VPALJC.tar.md5
    CWM Flashable LJC Modem: modem_CWM_L900VPALJC.zip

History:
    I've injected root into other stock images and those threads have a lot of valuable information which could answer some questions that may arise here. If you have time to do some reading here are a few of the informative ones:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel ]
    Samsung Galaxy S3 [TMO / Wind / Mobilicity]
    Also did sprint and vzw but there isn't much there that won't be covered above.

FAQ
    1. Does this remove the Sprint bloatware?
      A: No. It is same as stock, nothing is removed.
    2. Does this use an unsecured boot.img
      A: No. This flashes the stock boot.img in the VPALJ1 image.
    3. If my flash counter has been tripped, and I flash this and reset the counter, will it stay at 0.
      A: Yes, as long as you don't then flash a non-stock recovery.
    4. Can I still get OTA updates?
      A: Yes if you do not load a custom recovery or remove any system apps OTA updates will still come and be able to be successfully applied. If you want to retain root through the OTA process I'd recommend trying the SuperSU survival mode.
    Just updated OP with full rom LJC root injected, CWM flashable LJC modem and ODIN flashable LJC stock recovery.
    Updated OP with method to rootkeeper to retain root through OTA and also my flashable zip of OTA if you have TWRP or CWM recovery.
    thanks guys for the testing and feedback.
    Testers? Testers?

So it seems root is being lost with the OTA update. I think the files are there it is just messing the permissions on them.
    So I took the OTA provided by cincyelite22 and made one small change to get the permission on su correct.

So for anyone who has rooted with my stock root injected rom in this thread and would like to flash the OTA and retain root without doing anything special please try this:

Download my modified OTA here.

Then
    kendotelie said:
    1. download the file provided in OP to your SD.
    2. power down the device
    3. then access the stock recovery by pressing the vol +, home button, and then the power button at the same time. let go once the sprint flash screen appears. The stock recovery will appear
    4. select "apply update from external storage" using the volume + and - buttons to highlight the option and the power button to choose that option,
    5. highlight and choose the zip file you placed on the SD
    6. the update will initiate and voila you're updated
    Question can this be implemented in to custom roms the "not tripping the counter"

Sent from >> here <<

No. Custom roms would trip.