[HOWTO] Root the Atrix 2(Updated for 2.3.6 FINALLY)

Search This thread

chan32167

Feb 8, 2008
Actually cogery has made a very noob friendly utility to root our devices, and he does deserve some love for that... you are obviously new here, with the atrix 2. So, go start poking around and get used to whom our devs are there are only 3 of us, you don't want to piss those off that do the real work on THIS phone, when I got this phone on the 3rd day it was out, I looked for every way to hack this thing and I was amongst some really good devs but, unfortunately they were all driven off because someone pissed them off, so be careful what you say in here, and whom you might effect. And cogeary is our newest dev in here, and we have accepted him, and his great contributions to THIS phone. So, don't drive him off! I understand that this guy made this utility and wants donations to the red cross, but cogeary has taken his utility and made it even better, for us. He is also working on a java gui that does ALL of the best things for this phone and made it very n00b friendly.

well not really new on here, i have being lurking xda for a few years(got atrix 2 some time ago too)... i do see your point tough, but you fail to see mine... not my intention to drive devs off, but taking donations for other's work(and yes i saw the batch file he is using motofail )... big no no for me...

well that is what i think... not saying he is taking those donations...

Last edited:

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
well not really new on here, i have being lurking xda for a few years(got atrix 2 some time ago too)... i do see your point tough, but you fail to see mine... not my intention to drive devs off, but taking donations for other's work(and yes i saw the batch file he is using motofail )... big no no for me...

I see what you are saying, but to call that out when cogeary was the one right here, who helped that person out and made it easier for that person to perform the hack, not Dan who created the "original" hack, is not very cool.

So what you are telling me is that those of us that do have to re-engineer things for THIS phone, and get donations should not accept them because the original hack was performed by someone else for another phone, and never really "meant" for this phone... And that our time is worthless.

Wow you must really not like those hacks and scripts to make YOUR life easier on THIS phone, that have been reversed engineered from other phones and brought to this one.

As long as people give credit where credit is due, as it STATES in the XDA rules, that is perfectly acceptable. I saw no where, that cogeary took credit for the "orginal" hack, and only stated that it was his script that used the hack.

Anfeldt24

Mar 21, 2011
Schaumburg, IL
I do not own an atrix 2. It was a root for a friend and he was successful so I want to send a token of my thanks to him for helping help my friend get his root back after the OTA update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

JRW 28

Aug 19, 2011
FL
taking donations for other's work(and yes i saw the batch file he is using motofail )... big no no for me...

I don't see any DONATE TO ME BUTTON in his profile so where do you see him taking donations?
As for the BIG NO,NO part I guess we shouldn't be using bootstrap or safestrap since they weren't intended for our phone, but yet we worked directly with the creators to get them modified for this phone.
I would hate to see where this community would be if everyone wasn't allowed to use other people's work. And we have ALWAYS given credit where credit was due!!!

cogeary

Dec 5, 2011
New Orleans
Just wanted to clear some stuff up. I am not taking donations... I don't deserve a whole lot of credit. I had written some batch files for rooting 2.3.5 that I modified to root 2.3.6 using Dan Rosenberg's new exploit intended for the Droid 4. If you take a look at the batch files, I gave credit where credit was due.

Without my batch files, people could still root the A2. Without Dan Rosenberg and the Revolutionary Team, we would not be able to root the A2.

chan32167

Feb 8, 2008
I don't see any DONATE TO ME BUTTON in his profile so where do you see him taking donations?
As for the BIG NO,NO part I guess we shouldn't be using bootstrap or safestrap since they weren't intended for our phone, but yet we worked directly with the creators to get them modified for this phone.
I would hate to see where this community would be if everyone wasn't allowed to use other people's work. And we have ALWAYS given credit where credit was due!!!

where do i say he is taking donations... people should learn to read... and jim, sorry to bring cogeary down from the pedestal where u had him... but yeah he did not help Dan do anything... the batch file and everything was provided by Dan... and his original files did the job quite good, so dunno where u got your info... so lets get this stuff straight... no i didnt say he was taking donations, and yes i did say taking donations based on others work when you did nothing... is a big no no

vulnfactory.org/blog/2012/02/11/rooting-the-droid-4-a-failed-bounty-experiment/ so that you educate yourself jim

Edit: anyhow this is my last post about this, cause i might "scare off" some developers

Last edited:

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
where do i say he is taking donations... people should learn to read... and jim, sorry to bring cogeary down from the pedestal where u had him... but yeah he did not help Dan do anything... the batch file and everything was provided by Dan... and his original files did the job quite good, so dunno where u got your info... so lets get this stuff straight... no i didnt say he was taking donations, and yes i did say taking donations based on others work when you did nothing... is a big no no

Edit: anyhow this is my last post about this, cause i might "scare off" some developers

Hope you don't need help from me in here. I do take donations for my time on here, even If if is just to answer someones questions about another person's work that is just not understood, and yes I do re-engineer other peoples work if it needs it. I never put cogery on a pedestal, just sticking up for him, since he is one of the devs in here.

Last edited:

SeekerLoki

Jan 12, 2012
Just wanted to clear some stuff up. I am not taking donations... I don't deserve a whole lot of credit. I had written some batch files for rooting 2.3.5 that I modified to root 2.3.6 using Dan Rosenberg's new exploit intended for the Droid 4. If you take a look at the batch files, I gave credit where credit was due.

Without my batch files, people could still root the A2. Without Dan Rosenberg and the Revolutionary Team, we would not be able to root the A2.

I think you deserve credit. You made it work for the A2. You've put time and effort in to help us. I for one really appreciate all of the work from ALL of our A2 devs.

Thanks one and all!

vulnfactory.org/blog/2012/02/11/rooting-the-droid-4-a-failed-bounty-experiment/ so that you educate yourself jim

your attitude and outlook plain sucks.why don't you make that your last post in the a2 forum entirely.

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX

This was posted here before, you better be carful here, that was someone else's link..... LOL. go have some fun with an iphone, I think that is more your speed, or maybe better yet a windows mobile phone, heck Microsoft invented the words software piracy.

BTW, here is some of cogery's work, which is what started all this crap:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1471315

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

your attitude and outlook plain sucks.why don't you make that your last post in the a2 forum entirely.

Yeah! I second that.

Anfeldt24

Mar 21, 2011
Schaumburg, IL
I never meant to cause a storm of rage. I never looked into who actually did the work. I was doing a friend a favor.

Well thanks for the FREE HELP.

farshad525hou

Dec 13, 2011
Massachusetts
I never meant to cause a storm of rage. I never looked into who actually did the work. I was doing a friend a favor.

Well thanks for the FREE HELP.

Don't apologize you did nothing wrong. If you so choose to make a donation cogeary deserves every penny for helping you :)

@chan32167 NO WHERE in this thread did cogeary take any credit for the original 2.3.6. He just helped another person use it. If you don't like the way we "do" things here just leave. Please.

Anfeldt24

Mar 21, 2011
Schaumburg, IL
I am not apologizing for anything I did wrong.

I just donate to those that help make my life easier so those that help me continue to help others free of charge.

cryhavok13

Jan 15, 2012
Whittier

I don't want to talk to you anymore. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberry's. "In a french accent"

Sent from my MB865 using xda premium

megabiteg

Apr 13, 2010
USA
well here is root for 2.3.6 thx goes to Dan Rosenberg... i just tested it and my atrix 2 2.3.6 is rooted...

he is asking for donations for the red cross, please donate if you can...
wepay.com/donations/droid-4-root-bounty

this is only for windows, but i guess you can get the instructions from the .bat file and do the same in any console

by the way it is supposed to be a universal motorola root method...

FYI

This works for Linux as well. Just open the .bat file and follow the commands manually in the same order and you'll get the same result. I might build a shell script to complement this one and it could probably work cross platform.

Thanks!!!

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
FYI

This works for Linux as well. Just open the .bat file and follow the commands manually in the same order and you'll get the same result. I might build a shell script to complement this one and it could probably work cross platform.

Thanks!!!

I already have a shell script created for linux and mac, and I will have Jimmy237 add it to the OP...

Thanks though.

dk-v1

Dec 28, 2011
Baton Rouge
Before starting a new thread, thought I'd ask here first.

Is the any particular reason my phone (2.3.6 rooted, stock rom) is running slower post-root? Ill post my antutu results later.

Sent from my MB865 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First: I'd like to make it clear I am not claiming this process as my own. This method was created by p3droid over at the MyDroidWorld Forums. I am not a dev, just someone compiling information.

Second: This root method is originally intended for the Droid Bionic and I take no responsibility if this bricks your phone.

Third: This root was discovered by JRW 28 So give him some love with that thanks button.

If you are on 2.3.6:
    Install the OTA and upgrade your phone to 2.3.6
    Download the 2.3.6 root zip from HERE
    Make sure you have the right drivers installed then connect your phone to your PC.
    Unzip the file and then double-click "Click-To-Root.bat".
    Refer to the trouble shooting step bleow the 2.3.5 method if you are unable to attain root!

If you are on 2.3.5:

Root:
    I used the Lazy One Click and it worked perfectly, others have had success with the full manual method.
    I am a manual man, I don't use 1 clicks so I will post this the only way I know how...

Download the follow file: it contains the exploit, su, Superuser

Download exploit ---> Exploit.zip

1) Unzip contents of folder to your Desktop

2) open a command terminal and navigate to the folder (cd Desktop/Exploit)

3) type the following commands
    ---> adb push zerg /data/local
    ---> adb push su /data/local
    ---> adb push Superuser.apk /data/local
    ---> adb shell
    ---> cd /data/local
    ---> chmod 777 zerg
    ---> ./zerg

4) Wait for the root to be gained

5) type the following commands
    ---> adb shell (only type this if you are no longer in [email protected])
    ---> mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system
    ---> cat /data/local/su > /system/bin/su
    ---> cat /data/local/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk
    ---> chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    ---> chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    ---> reboot

Windows Version
    For the lazy I made you a 1-click ---> 1-click-exploit.zip
    Original Thread on MyDroidWorld: http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/...-your-phone-back-upgrade-path.html#post106072

Important for those using Oneclick:
    1.Extract the files from 1-click_exploit.zip.
    2.Enable USB debugging. Do so by going into your settings, then to applications, then to development.
    3.Set your connection type to charge only. You can change your connection type through the notification bar once your are connected.
    4.Make sure you go to Settings, Applications, and check Unknown sources if you haven't done so already.
    5.Click runme.bat while your phone is connected. Be patient and let the program do it's thing. YOUR PHONE WILL REBOOT! Do not be alarmed as this is normal. Your phone should now be rooted.
    Cheers!

If runme.bat hangs after daemeon starts:

1.First make sure you have USB Debugging, Unknown Sources, and Charge only connection enabled
    2.If none of these options work, uninstall your drivers and download and install one of these:
    Driver-wise:
    Try this if on 32-bit:http://www.mediafire.com/?71c12qc4a1svqza
    And this for 64-bit:http://www.mediafire.com/?ysphmaz131d3an9

Proof of Root:
    attachment.php
    This is a terminal screen showing the Atrix 2 (Codenamed Edison, look it up if you must) accessing root.
    well here is root for 2.3.6 thx goes to Dan Rosenberg... i just tested it and my atrix 2 2.3.6 is rooted...

he is asking for donations for the red cross, please donate if you can...
    wepay.com/donations/droid-4-root-bounty

this is only for windows, but i guess you can get the instructions from the .bat file and do the same in any console

by the way it is supposed to be a universal motorola root method...

Thanks for taking the plunge for all of us. :) Let us know how it goes!

It works great! Successfully rooted an unrooted 2.3.6.

Here are my personal root/unroot scripts that will be used in the Megatool (when it eventually is released): View attachment 2.3.6Root.zip

Thank you chan32167 for testing this for Dan Rosenberg and posting it here!
    Hi Jim, thanks for your directions, I really appreciate it..unfortunately I still can't root after trying your method..I've attached screenshots again of what I am seeing...any other suggestions?? Thanks in advance..

Ok, you are going to have to try it the hard way..... I used this last night on my replacement phone and it worked like a charm, but it is not the easiest for a windows user....

First remove anything you copied into /data/local with

Code:

adb shell
    cd /data/local
    rm ./tmp/*
    rm ./*
    exit
    exit

End code:

Now for the root stuff in detail.

Download the follow file: it contains the exploit, su, Superuser

Download exploit ---> http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=767802&stc=1&d=1320119485

1) Unzip contents of folder to your Desktop

2) open a command terminal and navigate to the folder (cd Desktop/Exploit)

3) Run the following commands:

Code:
    adb push zerg /data/local
    adb push su /data/local
    adb push Superuser.apk /data/local
    adb shell
    cd /data/local
    chmod 755 zerg
    ./zerg

End code

4) Wait for the root to be gained, you will be disconnected.

5) Run the following commands:

Code:

adb shell

(only type the rest of this if you are no longer in [email protected], and your prompt is a "#")

mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system
    cat /data/local/su > /system/bin/su
    cat /data/local/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    reboot

End code