Howto - Root your bramble with Magisk

Search This thread

bkdodger

Jan 30, 2011
How do I use Magisk to patch the boot.img from the Dec update?

I transfered the boot.img to my phone, used Magisk to patch the file in my phone, but I get the following error

- Device platform: arm64-v8a
- Copying image to cache
2034+0 records in
2034+0 records out
2082816 bytes (1.9 M) copied, 0.004488 s, 443 M/s
1410+1 records in
1410+1 records out
1443916 bytes (1.3 M) copied, 0.003859 s, 357 M/s
- Unpacking boot image
Parsing boot image: [/data/user_de/0/com.topjohnwu.magisk/install/boot.img]
HEADER_VER [0]
KERNEL_SZ [11574685]
RAMDISK_SZ [369099084]
SECOND_SZ [0]
EXTRA_SZ [3]
PAGESIZE [0]
NAME []
CMDLINE []
CHECKSUM [0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000]
Floating point exception
- Checking ramdisk status
- Stock boot image detected
Add entry [init] (0750)
- Patching ramdisk
Patch with flag KEEPVERITY=[true] KEEPFORCEENCRYPT=[true]
Create directory [.backup] (0000)
Add entry [.backup/.magisk] (0000)
Dump cpio: [ramdisk.cpio]
Parsing boot image: [/data/user_de/0/com.topjohnwu.magisk/install/boot.img]
HEADER_VER [0]
KERNEL_SZ [11574685]
RAMDISK_SZ [369099084]
SECOND_SZ [0]
EXTRA_SZ [3]
PAGESIZE [0]
NAME []
CMDLINE []
CHECKSUM [0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000]
Floating point exception
- Repacking boot image
! Unable to repack boot image!
! Installation failed

How do I patch the boot.img correctly? Thanks.

I think you didn't get the correct file over to phone..
How large is that boot file .. Can you get check sum?

kazemitsui

Dec 15, 2010
Seattle
HTC One (m7)
Google Pixel
it was 96 MB on my pc

md5 from the boot.img is this
cb9a142d7aa605e7ba54cdc882caf87b

Ok I figured it out, I needed to be on the Canary build of magisk. solved, thanks!

Last edited:

SirVilhelm

Dec 17, 2008

kazemitsui

Dec 15, 2010
Seattle
HTC One (m7)
Google Pixel
This is the guide I used and it worked

I not a huge fan of modifying the props.conf but it is what it is
Thanks I can pass SafetyNet, but I still can't use Gpay/Google Pay, do you know what else I need to do?

OK NM I got it, I went under MagiskHide and ticked a couple more options under GooglePay/GPay and my Credit card now works.

bkdodger

Jan 30, 2011
I don't use GP but good to know you guys have 8t working ...sorry for late responding but this work day has been crazy ..

FooYoungHi

Oct 11, 2014
I'm sorry if this question is the dumbest one ever asked, but here I go:
Last week I got my 4A 5G, and before I want to do anything with it, I want root. A smartphone without root is useless to me. I'd like to play with my new 'toy'.
I've rooted all of my previous phones (all Samsung), but I got those months after release, so rooting was very well documented.
My question is this:
Since this phone is pretty much just out; is the rooting process riskier than normal, or is the risk the same?

Zlatty

I'm sorry if this question is the dumbest one ever asked, but here I go:
Last week I got my 4A 5G, and before I want to do anything with it, I want root. A smartphone without root is useless to me. I'd like to play with my new 'toy'.
I've rooted all of my previous phones (all Samsung), but I got those months after release, so rooting was very well documented.
My question is this:
Since this phone is pretty much just out; is the rooting process riskier than normal, or is the risk the same?

It's easy peasy. Not too difficult, patching the boot.ini can be a pain if you don't have just the right Makisk version and update channel. So, when a new update comes about, wait for someone to take the plunge before you update.

FooYoungHi

Oct 11, 2014
Thanks. I've tried to flash the patched boot.img (patched it myself with magisk), but fastboot tells me : FAILED (remote: Failed to write to partion Not Found)
Am I doing something wrong?
Edit: I'm running the december update.

Edit2: I fixed it by updating abd.exe en fastboot.exe to the latest ones, replacing the ones from the 15 second abd installer.

Now I can play with the stock ROM until LineageOS/RR or Calyx comes out :cool:.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhilipTD

entropism

Jul 21, 2007
Linden, NJ
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I'm not new to XDA or rooting by any means, but I'm curious in almost 2021... What will you be rooting this particular phone for? Just picked one up yesterday...

I found myself asking the same question. On non-pixel devices, I'd say the Google dialer (with spam control, assistant features, etc) and ad blocking. Now that I actually HAVE a pixel, and I have AdGuard handling the ad blocking, I didn't even bother rooting.

PhilipTD

Dec 17, 2010
LI
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm not new to XDA or rooting by any means, but I'm curious in almost 2021... What will you be rooting this particular phone for? Just picked one up yesterday...
Congrats on your new phone! Mine should arrive today :)

You pose a good question since some previously root-dependent modifications and added functionality recently have become possible on unrooted devices. Maybe someday we’ll be able to mod our phones in any way we like without root. Until then, I’ll continue to root my phones because: custom roms and kernels, speed and battery optimization tweaks, deep UI customizations, de-bloating, and apps which require root in order to provide extra features and functions including Tasker and the AutoApps plugins (some things still require root in spite of João Dias’s extraordinary work), GMD Gesture Control, Swift Backup, Magisk modules, and system file managers.

drdionysius

Oct 28, 2008
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I manage to update and root, but I noticed that I have no 'recovery boot' after rooting. Not even the stock recovery. It just shows the 'dead' Android robot with "no command" when entering the 'recovery'. Bootloader works fine luckily.

Is this normal?

JLZrlbb.png

GoldElocks

I manage to update and root, but I noticed that I have no 'recovery boot' after rooting. Not even the stock recovery. It just shows the 'dead' Android robot with "no command" when entering the 'recovery'. Bootloader works fine luckily.

Is this normal?

JLZrlbb.png
To get into recovery mode, from that screen hold the power button and then press volume up. Then use the volume keys to select recovery and press the power button to select it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yea for sure! also do you know how to pass SafetyNet so I can get Google Pay/GPay to work?

CTS profiles doesn't pass...

This is the guide I used and it worked

I not a huge fan of modifying the props.conf but it is what it is
    Hi everyone,

I just got my bramble today. And yes, the first thing I did, was unlocking the bootloader and rooting it.
    Here I tell you how I did it.

You need a ADB/Fastboot suite installed and this rooted kernel.

Section 1: Unlocking your Bootloader Unlocking your Bootloader will erase all your data - so best case is a brandnew and clean bramble...:
    1. Go to settings - "About phone" and tip 6 times on "Build number" until you see "congratulations, you are a developer"
    2. Go to settings - "System", tip on "Advanced" and then on "Developer options". Now you can see "OEM unlocking". Enable it (yes it warns you about security and stuff... It´s your choice - I did it :D).
    3. Install Adb and Fastboot suite and scroll to the adb-folder inside your windows explorer and when you are there, copy the rooted boot.img to your adb-folder (you need that for section 2).
    4. Right click + shift on the white background of your adb-folder "open power shell window here"
    5. Reboot your bramble holding vol- and you will enter the fastboot screen. Connect your bramble to your pc and type in your power shell window the following code:
    Code:
    ./fastboot flashing unlock
    and hit enter
    6. Your bramble will warn you that unlocking your bootloader is insecure! And one really important thing again: This will format all your data
    7. Use the vol-/vol+ keys to accept and violla, you unlocked your Bootloader!

Section 2: flashing the patched boot.img
    1. Luckily you already copied the rooted boot.img to your adb folder and you are still in your power shell window. That gives you everything for 2.
    2. type the following in your power shell window:
    Code:
    ./fastboot flash boot boot.img
    3. hit enter and
    4. reboot to system (yes it has to be setup again since your data got wipede) and install Magisk manager after setting up your system

Congrats, your system is now rooted with Magisk!
    it was 96 MB on my pc

md5 from the boot.img is this
    cb9a142d7aa605e7ba54cdc882caf87b

Ok I figured it out, I needed to be on the Canary build of magisk. solved, thanks!
    Update steps for me -

Download OTA full image for your variant latest December from https://developers.google.com/android/ota#bramble place in my ADB folder on PC

Download Factory Image for your variant latest December from https://developers.google.com/android/images#bramble unzip on PC then search for the boot.img in folder and transfer to phone. Use Magisk to patch the boot.img and once completed place back on PC in ADB folder.

Get your phone now in stock recovery mode [ Android guy on back with red exclamation ] Next, hold down the power button and press the volume up button, and you will be in recovery mode. Use the volume down button to highlight apply update from ADB and press the power button to select it.

Now I ran the terminal command [I'm on Mac] ./adb sideload bramble-ota-rq1a.201205.011-4817ffa4.zip depending which file you loaded would be similar to mine.

Once it finishes reboot phone and you will be on new update.

Now to root again - back into bootloader mode

./fastboot flash boot boot.img. [ or name of the patched from Magisk ]
    Would you mind making a step by step for this?

Yes no worries. I'm working now but can post up later. I did mine the longer way bc I'm always unable to just do the flash- all way ...