Howto Root your phone s20 "Exynos Only"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Daniehabazin

Nov 14, 2008
Stockholm, Boca Raton or Zagreb
* I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...).
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, tough luck.
* Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
*This is will permanently trip knox and there is no way to back

This is of course for exynos only.

Had to figure out this process myself so please come with some input if you can streamline the process

1. unlock the bootloader (oem unlock in dev settings, boot into download mode by pressing both vol up+ down at the same time inserting a usb cable into the phone, press long up to unlock the bootloader)
2. setup the phone by skipping the wizard.
2. download and install latest magisk manager canary.
3. download the same firmware that's running on your phone ( https://www.samfw.com/firmware/SM-G986B)
4. extract the AP file from the zip file.
5. open the AP file with 7zip, extract the boot.img.lz4 file
6. tar up the file in 7zip (right click, 7zip, add to archive, change the archive format to tar)
7. transfer the file to your phone.
8. in magisk manager, press install ->next ->"select and patch a file" -> find the file you transferred to you phone ->next and let's go -> after done exit out of magisk manager and transfer the file back to your computer.
9. reboot to download mode and flash the file in odin ( i used the AP slot)
10. boot the phone to recovery (vol up when booting, if your to late shutdown the phone , vol down and power and try again)
11. factory reset the phone.
12. do the wizard normally after boot up and make sure to install magisk canary manager to get root prompts.
13. Enjoy!

Steps to update your rooted phone
1. download the new firmware
2. extract the boot.img.lz4 from the ap file, tar it up and transfer to your phone, patch in magisk and transfer back.
3. boot you phone to download mode and populate all the slots, just make sure that in the csc slot you pick the HOME_CSC_*.tar.md5, not CSC_*.tar.md5
4. when done and phone is booting, make sure it boots in download mode, if you miss the timing, reboot the phone by pressing vol down + power and try again.
5. flash the patched boot file.
6. profit!

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Sep 19, 2012
Washington, DC
I miss the days of apps that could unlock the bootloader and root your phone. My appetite for wiping after I just got everything all perfect, is not big.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

But just to clarify in case the temptation becomes too great--is this for Qualcomm as well, or just Exynos?

Daniehabazin

Nov 14, 2008
I miss the days of apps that could unlock the bootloader and root your phone. My appetite for wiping after I just got everything all perfect, is not big.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

But just to clarify in case the temptation becomes too great--is this for Qualcomm as well, or just Exynos?

sorry to say, it's only exynos

Ashen_-_One28

Jul 13, 2017
Hey, I just came over from a Sony phone and wanted to ask a few questions.
Are there any drawbacks of unlocking the bootloader and rooting a Samsung phone (in other words does it break anything, because this process breaks a lot of stuff on Sony phones)?

Reactions: FearFac

Daniehabazin

Nov 14, 2008
Are there any drawbacks of unlocking the bootloader and rooting a Samsung phone (in other words does it break anything, because this process breaks a lot of stuff on Sony phones)?

on the motherboard there is a e-fuse that get's blown when you root, and when blown certain things stops working, like Samsung pay and secure folders.
But the camera works fine with no degradation (on sony phone the camera looses it's algoritms when rooted)

there is no way to go back efter root with the e-fuse, only way is to change the motherboard

rxk

Apr 9, 2010
Hello,
For those who successful rooted their S20 phones, please confirm if e-sim still works. thanks.

Can you please add the link of the latest magisk canary manager.

Last edited:
Reactions: FearFac

danw84

Jan 5, 2013
Tried this but can't do step 8.

Magisk get stuck on "Flashing - Device platform : arm64-8a"

ryanaustint

May 31, 2018
Stuck

Mine is also stuck when flashing the tar with magisk, it says failed and then the file won't flash from odin it gets stuck at file analysis

Ashen_-_One28

Jul 13, 2017
on the motherboard there is a e-fuse that get's blown when you root, and when blown certain things stops working, like Samsung pay and secure folders.
But the camera works fine with no degradation (on sony phone the camera looses it's algoritms when rooted)

there is no way to go back efter root with the e-fuse, only way is to change the motherboard

Thank you for the information!

Ghent31

Aug 25, 2013
I just tried on my Galaxy S20 (SM-G981B) but no luck using Canary Magisk Manager (72f6770d) (278)
Boot loop after flashing and factory reset.
I previously tried to patch the complete AP file, but same thing if I start my phone whith recovery key combination (without it, boot OK but no root)
I've done this before on my S10, but seems I'll have to wait a little more

chieco

Jul 6, 2011
I just tried on my Galaxy S20 (SM-G981B) but no luck using Canary Magisk Manager (72f6770d) (278)
Boot loop after flashing and factory reset.
I previously tried to patch the complete AP file, but same thing if I start my phone whith recovery key combination (without it, boot OK but no root)
I've done this before on my S10, but seems I'll have to wait a little more

Just follow the steps of this thread and it will work.

Reactions: Ghent31

Ghent31

Aug 25, 2013
Just follow the steps of this thread and it will work.

I've retried from scratch, with a clean Rom before starting the procedure.
Still no luck : boot loop when rebooting after factory reset.

I followed exactly the steps, only patching the boot image
What options should I choose when patching on magisk manager (dm-vertiry...) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...).
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, tough luck.
    * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
    *This is will permanently trip knox and there is no way to back

This is of course for exynos only.

Had to figure out this process myself so please come with some input if you can streamline the process

1. unlock the bootloader (oem unlock in dev settings, boot into download mode by pressing both vol up+ down at the same time inserting a usb cable into the phone, press long up to unlock the bootloader)
    2. setup the phone by skipping the wizard.
    2. download and install latest magisk manager canary.
    3. download the same firmware that's running on your phone ( https://www.samfw.com/firmware/SM-G986B)
    4. extract the AP file from the zip file.
    5. open the AP file with 7zip, extract the boot.img.lz4 file
    6. tar up the file in 7zip (right click, 7zip, add to archive, change the archive format to tar)
    7. transfer the file to your phone.
    8. in magisk manager, press install ->next ->"select and patch a file" -> find the file you transferred to you phone ->next and let's go -> after done exit out of magisk manager and transfer the file back to your computer.
    9. reboot to download mode and flash the file in odin ( i used the AP slot)
    10. boot the phone to recovery (vol up when booting, if your to late shutdown the phone , vol down and power and try again)
    11. factory reset the phone.
    12. do the wizard normally after boot up and make sure to install magisk canary manager to get root prompts.
    13. Enjoy!

Steps to update your rooted phone
    1. download the new firmware
    2. extract the boot.img.lz4 from the ap file, tar it up and transfer to your phone, patch in magisk and transfer back.
    3. boot you phone to download mode and populate all the slots, just make sure that in the csc slot you pick the HOME_CSC_*.tar.md5, not CSC_*.tar.md5
    4. when done and phone is booting, make sure it boots in download mode, if you miss the timing, reboot the phone by pressing vol down + power and try again.
    5. flash the patched boot file.
    6. profit!

sorry to say, it's only exynos
    Hi can you give steps to pass safetynet? I've tried with the canary version and disabling AVB with the vbmeta_disabled.tar. Still failing at ctsProfile.
    You have to enable magisk hide in settings.