[HOWTO] Unbrick your device

Search This thread

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
Lakeland, FL
r3pwn.com
This unbricking method requires that you have adb working and have root access.

First, download the latest system update for your device.
For the 7" HDX, they are posted at
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201357190.
For the 8.9" HDX, they are posted at
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201357220.

Now, please note that I DO NOT have a Kindle Fire HDX, so if this doesn't work, let me know and I will remove it immediately.

Try these commands:
Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /cache
mkdir /cache/recovery
echo install /cache/kindleupdate.bin > /cache/recovery/openrecoveryscript
chmod 0777 /cache/recovery/openrecoveryscript
exit
exit
adb push your-downloaded-update.bin /cache/kindleupdate.bin
adb reboot recovery

The only thing that you have to do is replace "your-downloaded-update.bin" with the path to your downloaded update. (To make it easier and avoid typos, I always just drag and drop the file into the terminal/command prompt window.)

Please also note that IT IS OKAY if the command "mkdir /cache/recovery" fails, as long as the error message says file already exists or something along those lines.

If this helped you repair your beloved HDX, feel free to hit that "Thanks" button.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

vorryn

Oct 3, 2014
i will test this tonight. Bricked my kindle hdx but my wife has a working one so hoping if this doesn't fix mine i can somehow use her system files to fix mine.

thanks and will update tonight!

Ali Ejea Mc

Sep 14, 2014
It worked for me

Now, please note that I DO NOT have a Kindle Fire HDX, so if this doesn't work, let me know and I will remove it immediately.

Try these commands:
Code:
adb shell
su
mkdir /cache/recovery
exit
exit
adb reboot recovery

The only thing that you have to do is replace "your-downloaded-update.bin" with the path to your downloaded update. (To make it easier and avoid typos, I always just drag and drop the file into the terminal/command prompt window.)

Please also note that IT IS OKAY if the command "mkdir /cache/recovery" fails, as long as the error message says file already exists or something along those lines.

If this helped you repair your beloved HDX, feel free to hit that "Thanks" button.

Thanks dude, it worked for me. I mistakenly formated data after wiping system so I stuck in safestrap recovery. I transfered a stock Rom through ADB but It failed while flashing... because there was some kinda problem with Cache partition... so i tried your method and it worked... but i made a little change in last Commands... I gave it "EXIT" command only 1 time and did not give the command "ADB reboot Recovery"... I recommend you guys to manually boot to safestrap recovery after quitting CMD.... Ahhh my device is Kindle Fire HDX 7"

Last edited:

scaftogy

Aug 7, 2012
root not required?

Thanks, r3pwn, this works well. Nice, easy instructions that should be instructive to anybody messing with their device.

This helped me after a botched update to newer Amazon firmware. Quick question though: It seems like you don't really need to be root / use su to do these steps. I had lost su in that update but was able to execute the rest of the adb commands without root. I guess that should be the same for anyone who doesn't have root, right?

Reactions: jimyv

zizo8205

Jun 2, 2010
Thanks, r3pwn, this works well. Nice, easy instructions that should be instructive to anybody messing with their device.

This helped me after a botched update to newer Amazon firmware. Quick question though: It seems like you don't really need to be root / use su to do these steps. I had lost su in that update but was able to execute the rest of the adb commands without root. I guess that should be the same for anyone who doesn't have root, right?

Do you mean I can use this way to downgrade my firmware?

sn123py

Jul 5, 2009

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201357220.

Try these commands:
Code:
adb shell
su
mkdir /cache/recovery
exit
exit
adb reboot recovery

hi,

any glue what went wrong with a permission denied? everything in the adb shell session was ok, but adb push says (after several minutes!):

Code:
D:\adb_fastboot>adb push update-kindle-13.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin  /cache/kindleupdate.bin
failed to copy 'update-kindle-13.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin' to '/cache/kindleupdate.bin': Permission denied

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
Lakeland, FL
r3pwn.com
hi,

any glue what went wrong with a permission denied? everything in the adb shell session was ok, but adb push says (after several minutes!):

Code:
D:\adb_fastboot>adb push update-kindle-13.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin  /cache/kindleupdate.bin
failed to copy 'update-kindle-13.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin' to '/cache/kindleupdate.bin': Permission denied
No, sorry, I don't even have this device. There are newer, better ways to unbrick now.

osmorgan

Oct 16, 2011
i have tried this.. but when rebooting it takes me back to recovery menu with 2 options.

1. reboot
2.reset

whichever i chose, still takes me back to boot loop (animated logo)

any ideas?

Rana Zaib

Mar 25, 2015
Pakpattan
Thanks dude, it worked for me. I mistakenly formated data after wiping system so I stuck in safestrap recovery. I transfered a stock Rom through ADB but It failed while flashing... because there was some kinda problem with Cache partition... so i tried your method and it worked... but i made a little change in last Commands... I gave it "EXIT" command only 1 time and did not give the command "ADB reboot Recovery"... I recommend you guys to manually boot to safestrap recovery after quitting CMD.... Ahhh my device is Kindle Fire HDX 7"

I was trying to root my Kindle fire HDX 7 for android apps and google apps on it. it was successfully rooted and google play services working on it perfectly. Than suddenly google play stop working on it. but games installed on it working properly. Then i go to recovery option and press the Wipe button "Cache and Dalvik Cache". after that my Kindle fire HDX 7 boot and stuck on Kindle fire starting Grey logo. I tried to factory reset but still keep stuck on start logo. While connected to PC, only hear one connectivity beep with PC and in device manager only shows connectivity as MTP USB device. But no device show in my computer. Snapshot attached. Please assist any solution. I am not familiar with developer language. So please assist step by step.. Thanks

Last edited:

Rana Zaib

Mar 25, 2015
Pakpattan
My Kindle fire HDX 7 i think bricked any solution?

I was trying to root my Kindle fire HDX 7 for android apps and google apps on it. it was successfully rooted and google play services working on it perfectly. Than suddenly google play stop working on it. but games installed on it working properly. Then i go to recovery option and press the Wipe button "Cache and Dalvik Cache". after that my Kindle fire HDX 7 boot and stuck on Kindle fire starting Grey logo. I tried to factory reset but still keep stuck on start logo. While connected to PC, only hear one connectivity beep with PC and in device manager only shows connectivity as MTP USB device. But no device show in my computer. Snapshot attached. Please assist any solution. I am not familiar with these developer language. So please assist step by step.. I tried below command but su Permission denied.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Try these commands:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    mkdir /cache/recovery
    exit
    exit
    adb reboot recovery

Fix Bricked

Sorry, Im slightly confused, how are we able to fix the device with ADB if it is bricked? Mine will not get past the white "Kindle Fire" page, any ideas?:(
    root not required?

I was trying to root my Kindle fire HDX 7 for android apps and google apps on it. it was successfully rooted and google play services working on it perfectly. Than suddenly google play stop working on it. but games installed on it working properly. Then i go to recovery option and press the Wipe button "Cache and Dalvik Cache". after that my Kindle fire HDX 7 boot and stuck on Kindle fire starting Grey logo. I tried to factory reset but still keep stuck on start logo. While connected to PC, only hear one connectivity beep with PC and in device manager only shows connectivity as MTP USB device. But no device show in my computer. Snapshot attached. Please assist any solution. I am not familiar with these developer language. So please assist step by step.. I tried below command but su Permission denied.
    NEVER FACTORY RESET YOUR KINDLE FIRE HDX FROM AMAZON STOCK RECOVERY IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED SAFESTRAP RECOVERY ON IT...
    unfortunately you got it bricked :(
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone