[HOWTO]Unlock bootloader/root for most G7's except T-Mo via EDL Mode (EASIER METHOD)

Search This thread

netookska05

Jan 28, 2013
Albuquerque
So i'm getting an error when i try to flash the pre-rooted boot image from the other thread. I cross-flashed the ULM oreo rom, then followed the EDL guide and now I'm bootloader unlocked. When i try to flash the image via fastboot i get this error: fastboot: error: cannot get boot partition size. I can't extract the boot image from the kdz linked in the thread, there's an issue using the firmware extractor. What should i do to get past the error with the pre-rooted boot image?

Use qfil to load the rooted boot img in partition manager.

kingkola36

Oct 31, 2015
So I successfully unlocked my bootloader on G710ULM. However, I'm really confused with the root instructions. I flashed the stock firmware for my model with a kdz file, but when I extracted the boot.img, I got 2 different boot.img. They are both the same size, but I'm not sure which one is correct to use. Also, do I just take the boot.img, patch it with magisk, and then....I'm not sure what to do. I'm a total noob so any advice is appreciated.

netookska05

Jan 28, 2013
Albuquerque
So I successfully unlocked my bootloader on G710ULM. However, I'm really confused with the root instructions. I flashed the stock firmware for my model with a kdz file, but when I extracted the boot.img, I got 2 different boot.img. They are both the same size, but I'm not sure which one is correct to use. Also, do I just take the boot.img, patch it with magisk, and then....I'm not sure what to do. I'm a total noob so any advice is appreciated.

If you have the boot imgs one should be boot_a.img and the other boot_b.img. boot a is for slot a and boot b for slot b.

Patch both if you want more likely you only need to patch boot a and then load the magisk patched boot img in fastboot or qfil.

hall599

Apr 12, 2014
could I restore my phone with my personal data?, of course before I made a backup of all partitions

Gully.Moy

Nov 16, 2011
I want to try this, but unfortunately the V35ABL file seems to no longer be available

The V35 abl link is just badly formatted. Heres the link
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1899786940962574206

Maybe someone could update OP?

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

When I click on this link it takes me to a file that says:
abl_a.img
for the ZTE Zmax Pro(Z981), by Loonycgb2

Why "ZTE Zmax Pro(Z981)"?
Could anyone confirm if this is the right file?
I see a few people saying they got bricked!

Thanks

lefttobleed

Apr 20, 2010

Maybe someone could update OP?

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

When I click on this link it takes me to a file that says:

Why "ZTE Zmax Pro(Z981)"?
Could anyone confirm if this is the right file?
I see a few people saying they got bricked!

Thanks

Click on the first link in OP.
Then follow the links in the OP of that thread.

Reactions: Gully.Moy

jazir

Apr 16, 2015
Use qfil to load the rooted boot img in partition manager.

I tried that, it didn't work. I'm having an issue where OEM unlock is greyed out and since the qfil thing didn't work idk what to do next. Bootloader shows as unlocked, but fastboot is unable to execute any commands I throw in command prompt

lefttobleed

Apr 20, 2010
I tried that, it didn't work. I'm having an issue where OEM unlock is greyed out and since the qfil thing didn't work idk what to do next. Bootloader shows as unlocked, but fastboot is unable to execute any commands I throw in command prompt
Qfil will give that error if you are using unsupported filename or if the image you are uploading is incorrect.
What error are you getting in fastboot? How did you unlock bootloader without fastboot?

netookska05

Jan 28, 2013
Albuquerque

Do you know what slot your phone is using a or b? What slot did you load the rooted boot img? If you are unsure you should have loaded it in a and b. Fastboot maybe disabled depending what kdz you are on.

jazir

Apr 16, 2015
I fixed it, was using the wrong boot image. Thank you though, I appreciate the help.

speakphone

Dec 7, 2018
"Boot into edl mode via connecting your phone to the pc then turning it off. Hold Vo- and power and keep pushing the vol+ button multiple times when it turns off."

All that happens is it turns off, reboots. What am I doing wrong?
Once I got a download screen, but device doesn't show on Win10 like it says

EMW

lefttobleed

Apr 20, 2010
"Boot into edl mode via connecting your phone to the pc then turning it off. Hold Vo- and power and keep pushing the vol+ button multiple times when it turns off."

All that happens is it turns off, reboots. What am I doing wrong?
Once I got a download screen, but device doesn't show on Win10 like it says

EMW
You need to stop pressing the buttons once 9008 shows in qfil or in device manager.
Look at the pc. Phone will be a dead black acreen.

speakphone

Dec 7, 2018
You need to stop pressing the buttons once 9008 shows in qfil or in device manager.
Look at the pc. Phone will be a dead black acreen.

Thanks. I got to #7 qsahara fail

Just to confirm, I have \Unbrick G7\prog_ufs_firehose_Sdm845_lge.elf
I installed QPST.2.7.474.exe in that folder
I got QDLoader HS-USB Driver_64bit_Setup as I'm on Win10 64

I rebooted EDL a few times, it's still the same.

What is missing?

https://imgur.com/a/36hkzUx

lefttobleed

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks. I got to #7 qsahara fail

Just to confirm, I have \Unbrick G7\prog_ufs_firehose_Sdm845_lge.elf
I installed QPST.2.7.474.exe in that folder
I got QDLoader HS-USB Driver_64bit_Setup as I'm on Win10 64

I rebooted EDL a few times, it's still the same.

What is missing?

https://imgur.com/a/36hkzUx
Your phone is not in edl mode. It should say 'qualcom....9008' at the top of qfil screen where it says 'no port available' for you.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone!!

IMPORTANT:NEVER SELECT ERASE OR FORMAT PARTITIONS IN LGUP. IT WILL MESS WITH YOUR IMEI

Im making a new guide to unlock your bootloader/root your device. Its easier to do a little bit risker but if you do it slowly you wont mess up your phone and in the event you do you can always recover it. Remember to FOLLOW ALL THE STEPS or you may end up messing up your phone, The best thing is, you dont need to downgrade to even unlock the bootloader!!

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PHONE BRICKS! YOU ARE FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE AND ITS YOUR CHOICE TO DO IT OR NOT TO DO IT AND YOURE THE ONE DOING IT. I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS OUT.

If you cant for some reason access fastboot even flashing the v35 file, use this guide: https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/how-to/verizon-lg-g710vm20f-t4057031 it says verizon but i think most of the models of the g7 cant acess fastboot so you can try this.

Requirments:
    -A PC
    -USB Cable to connect your phone of course
    - V35 ABL
    --The LG FIrehose file
    - QPST/QFIL

-9008 drivers FOLLOW THIS GUIDE!! To install drivers properly IF WINDOWS DOESNT INSTALL THEM AUTOMATICALLY!!
    -ADB PLATFORM or someway to access fastboot via cmd
    -PATIENCE!!

Steps.
    1. Download the V35 abl,LG Fire house file, download and install qppst and install the 9008 drivers (WUNDOWS 10 should automatically do it for you) If not, download it and install them.
    2. Boot into edl mode via connecting your phone to the pc then turning it off. Hold Vo- and power and keep pushing the vol+ button multiple times when it turns off.
    3. Go into device manager and check if its detected. to check open up device manager and check Ports and it should say Some port 9009 Qualcomm or something like that (IF theres a question mark, exclamation mark or it says qhusb bulk even after you install the drivers, make sure you disable driver signature enforcment on windows and install the drivers again. Theres multiple ways to do it just google on how to disable driver signature enforcment windows 10. Same with windows 7/8,)
    4. Run as administrator qfil and select flat build,.
      --Programmer Type: Load the firehose file
      -- On the top go to configuration and where it says Device type, make sure you change it to ufs.
      -- Click ok to save and exit
    5. At this point qfil should be detecting your port . If not there should be a select port button next to it on top.
    6. Go to Tools then Partition Manager
    7. A window should pop up with all the partitions. If you get a shara failed error, make sure your drivers are installed correctly and try rebooting into edl again once more. To do that just hold vol - and power until the lg logo comes up and then keep holding vol - and power again and once it turns off again just do the edl combination again.
    8. Search for abl_a and right click on it. First do Read Data, it should take only a couple of seconds Then Load Image and load the v35 image. It should say GPT Finished or something like that at the log with no errors.
    9. Reboot holding volume - and power for like 20-30 seconds until the lg logo comes up Then hold the down button to boot into fastboot or it will automatically boot into fastboot depending on what version of android you are on.
    10. Open the folder where your adb tools are, then hold shift +Right Click in the folder and open powershell. Type and enter CMD
    11. Enter: Fastboot oem unlock it should output with OKAY, If it gives you unknown command, try a USB 2.0 port and then turn off your phone and while its booting up enter the command before you boot into fastboot. Once thats done dont close the window yet!!
    12. Once thats done you can now restore your other abl so you can boot back into android. To do that run %appdata% in the search bar or in the run window by holding the windows button and pressing the R button. Then you should be in C:\Users\{YOUR USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming
    13. Open up the Qualcomm folder --> QFIL --> COMPORT#
    14. There should be a ReadData Blah blah.bin in there. Drag and drop that in the folder where your adb tools are
    15. then go back to the window i told you not to close (The powershell/cmd window) then do fastboot flash abl_a (The file name with ReadData) without the ( ).
    16. Now you can turn off the phone vial holding volume - and power and then reboot into android!! You should get a bootloader unlocked or a cannot be checked for courrption message! Congrats your bootloader is unlocked!!

To root: Just back up your boot image via and then find it in %Appdata% put it in your phone then use magisk manager to patch the boot file and then take that boot file and then flash it to boot_a via edl.

I tried my best to write this guide and sorry for my grammatical mistakes. Ill be helping people unlock/root their bootloaders for free during this covid time as well. If you want to donate you can always tell me but its not necessary.

Ill try making a video as soon as i can.
    Nice guide,
    Will I able to use this guide to root my G7 verizon version ? (G710VM)
    Thanks

Yes and no. Yes it will unlock the bootloader but the problem with verizon there is no fastboot unless you erase the laf imgs.

Which is why in my guide I use the crossflashed ULM11g it has fastboot and the oem unlock enable button which makes it easier to issue the "fastboot oem unlock" command.

Give it a try and if your not good at doing this with qfil will brick your device. If you run into issues try my guide.
    https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/how-to/verizon-lg-g710vm20f-t4057031
    Hi everyone!!

IMPORTANT:NEVER SELECT ERASE OR FORMAT PARTITIONS IN LGUP. IT WILL MESS WITH YOUR IMEI

Im making a new guide to unlock your bootloader/root your device. Its easier to do a little bit risker but if you do it slowly you wont mess up your phone and in the event you do you can always recover it. Remember to FOLLOW ALL THE STEPS or you may end up messing up your phone, The best thing is, you dont need to downgrade to even unlock the bootloader!!

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PHONE BRICKS! YOU ARE FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE AND ITS YOUR CHOICE TO DO IT OR NOT TO DO IT AND YOURE THE ONE DOING IT. I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS OUT.

If you cant for some reason access fastboot even flashing the v35 file, use this guide: https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/how-to/verizon-lg-g710vm20f-t4057031 it says verizon but i think most of the models of the g7 cant acess fastboot so you can try this.

Requirments:
    -A PC
    -USB Cable to connect your phone of course
    - V35 ABL
    --The LG FIrehose file
    - QPST/QFIL

-9008 drivers FOLLOW THIS GUIDE!! To install drivers properly IF WINDOWS DOESNT INSTALL THEM AUTOMATICALLY!!
    -ADB PLATFORM or someway to access fastboot via cmd
    -PATIENCE!!

Steps.
    1. Download the V35 abl,LG Fire house file, download and install qppst and install the 9008 drivers (WUNDOWS 10 should automatically do it for you) If not, download it and install them.
    2. Boot into edl mode via connecting your phone to the pc then turning it off. Hold Vo- and power and keep pushing the vol+ button multiple times when it turns off.
    3. Go into device manager and check if its detected. to check open up device manager and check Ports and it should say Some port 9009 Qualcomm or something like that (IF theres a question mark, exclamation mark or it says qhusb bulk even after you install the drivers, make sure you disable driver signature enforcment on windows and install the drivers again. Theres multiple ways to do it just google on how to disable driver signature enforcment windows 10. Same with windows 7/8,)
    4. Run as administrator qfil and select flat build,.
      --Programmer Type: Load the firehose file
      -- On the top go to configuration and where it says Device type, make sure you change it to ufs.
      -- Click ok to save and exit
    5. At this point qfil should be detecting your port . If not there should be a select port button next to it on top.
    6. Go to Tools then Partition Manager
    7. A window should pop up with all the partitions. If you get a shara failed error, make sure your drivers are installed correctly and try rebooting into edl again once more. To do that just hold vol - and power until the lg logo comes up and then keep holding vol - and power again and once it turns off again just do the edl combination again.
    8. Search for abl_a and right click on it. First do Read Data, it should take only a couple of seconds Then Load Image and load the v35 image. It should say GPT Finished or something like that at the log with no errors.
    9. Reboot holding volume - and power for like 20-30 seconds until the lg logo comes up Then hold the down button to boot into fastboot or it will automatically boot into fastboot depending on what version of android you are on.
    10. Open the folder where your adb tools are, then hold shift +Right Click in the folder and open powershell. Type and enter CMD
    11. Enter: Fastboot oem unlock it should output with OKAY, If it gives you unknown command, try a USB 2.0 port and then turn off your phone and while its booting up enter the command before you boot into fastboot. Once thats done dont close the window yet!!
    12. Once thats done you can now restore your other abl so you can boot back into android. To do that run %appdata% in the search bar or in the run window by holding the windows button and pressing the R button. Then you should be in C:\Users\{YOUR USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming
    13. Open up the Qualcomm folder --> QFIL --> COMPORT#
    14. There should be a ReadData Blah blah.bin in there. Drag and drop that in the folder where your adb tools are
    15. then go back to the window i told you not to close (The powershell/cmd window) then do fastboot flash abl_a (The file name with ReadData) without the ( ).
    16. Now you can turn off the phone vial holding volume - and power and then reboot into android!! You should get a bootloader unlocked or a cannot be checked for courrption message! Congrats your bootloader is unlocked!!

To root: Just back up your boot image via and then find it in %Appdata% put it in your phone then use magisk manager to patch the boot file and then take that boot file and then flash it to boot_a via edl.

I tried my best to write this guide and sorry for my grammatical mistakes. Ill be helping people unlock/root their bootloaders for free during this covid time as well. If you want to donate you can always tell me but its not necessary.

Ill try making a video as soon as i can.

I own a LG G7+ Indian variant(G710EAW).
    This guide really works. I have successfully unlocked G710EAW bootloader by following this guide.
    And I also managed to get it rooted by patching boot_a image file through magisk and loading at original partition.

Thanks to the author of original guide, and Awesomeslayerg made it more easier.
    ABL links is dead
    Thank you @Awesomeslayerg and @netookska05 . Finally got unlock and root using both your guides, after getting bricked twice and once going to sahara mode.
    Mine is an Indian EMW. Below are few important points i found after literally half a day of trial and errors :-
    1> Everything you do is at your own risk. I bricked my phone twice, so be careful.
    2> Most important is to get your partitions backed up using QFIL. This is the only thing that saved me from the two bricks and sahara mode. It takes a crazy amount of time to backup everything, but it was fully worth the time. Thank you again @Awesomeslayerg for this guide: https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/how-to/how-to-partitions-flash-abl-t-mo-t4051249
    3> I used the files linked in @netookska05 guide. Thank you for the guide it works on non Verizon phones also. https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/how-to/verizon-lg-g710vm20f-t4057031
    4> I needed to crossflash back to Oreo first. Only then the v35 boot loader gets loaded and fastboot oem unlock command works. https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/how-to/cross-flash-oreo-pie-firmwares-lg-g7-g7-t3915303
    5> For root, patching my boot images did not work. So i crossflashed back to 20n firmware and used @chirantantab guide to root. https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/development/root-t3958624
    Hope this helps some people finding it difficult to unlock and root their Indian EMWs.
    Right now using Lineage OS 17.1 :)