[HOWTO]Unlock bootloader/root for most G7's except T-Mo via EDL Mode (EASIER METHOD)

Search This thread

The25thMe

Dec 2, 2014
Is there any way I can fix the deleted partition in partition manager? I think I accidentally deleted all the partitions. Thanks in advance, hope you'll help me and answer.

Cant access download mode, only EDL mode.
I can successfully flash the extracted files through QFIL but it seems not to work.

Last edited:

hasnawtahmed

Oct 15, 2017
Hi i have unlocked bootloader and I'm using emw rom (android 10) it seems like my phone doesn't have fastboot mode and I'm trying as your guide said but it gives "download fail:fairehose fail....". Can someone please help me.

Last edited:

lefttobleed

Apr 20, 2010
Hello,

I have related quires on my thread

https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/development/guide-g710ulm11g-rooting-backup-t4177919

Can you please have a look and inform if I can use the guide in the first post to continue in the needed direction. My phone is still on Android Ver 8.0.0, do I need to update it to 9 or 10 before continuing with this guide.

Thanks for your support.
You need to stay on 8. In your thread you say OEM unlock is enabled. If that oem option is faded, then Maybe your phone is already unlocked.

jeddy877

Feb 3, 2016
The problem with/reason why people (myself included) are permanently bricking their G7 is that they are forgetting or do not know to slide the oem unlock slider in developer options to on before starting the whole process. You should start your thread out with that.

Maud51

Dec 24, 2020
I'm about to start this method in my G710EMW, but when I click on the V35 ABL link, I see that the file description is for "ZTE Zmax Pro(Z981)".

Is this correct? I don't want to brick my phone :eek:

Capture.PNG

sourabh7625

Jul 20, 2014
India
Hi everyone!!

IMPORTANT:NEVER SELECT ERASE OR FORMAT PARTITIONS IN LGUP. IT WILL MESS WITH YOUR IMEI

Im making a new guide to unlock your bootloader/root your device. Its easier to do a little bit risker but if you do it slowly you wont mess up your phone and in the event you do you can always recover it. Remember to FOLLOW ALL THE STEPS or you may end up messing up your phone, The best thing is, you dont need to downgrade to even unlock the bootloader!!

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PHONE BRICKS! YOU ARE FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE AND ITS YOUR CHOICE TO DO IT OR NOT TO DO IT AND YOURE THE ONE DOING IT. I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS OUT.

If you cant for some reason access fastboot even flashing the v35 file, use this guide: https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/how-to/verizon-lg-g710vm20f-t4057031 it says verizon but i think most of the models of the g7 cant acess fastboot so you can try this.

Requirments:
-A PC
-USB Cable to connect your phone of course
- V35 ABL
--The LG FIrehose file
- QPST/QFIL

-9008 drivers FOLLOW THIS GUIDE!! To install drivers properly IF WINDOWS DOESNT INSTALL THEM AUTOMATICALLY!!
-ADB PLATFORM or someway to access fastboot via cmd
-PATIENCE!!

Steps.
  1. Download the V35 abl,LG Fire house file, download and install qppst and install the 9008 drivers (WUNDOWS 10 should automatically do it for you) If not, download it and install them.
  2. Boot into edl mode via connecting your phone to the pc then turning it off. Hold Vo- and power and keep pushing the vol+ button multiple times when it turns off.
  3. Go into device manager and check if its detected. to check open up device manager and check Ports and it should say Some port 9009 Qualcomm or something like that (IF theres a question mark, exclamation mark or it says qhusb bulk even after you install the drivers, make sure you disable driver signature enforcment on windows and install the drivers again. Theres multiple ways to do it just google on how to disable driver signature enforcment windows 10. Same with windows 7/8,)
  4. Run as administrator qfil and select flat build,.
    --Programmer Type: Load the firehose file
    -- On the top go to configuration and where it says Device type, make sure you change it to ufs.
    -- Click ok to save and exit
  5. At this point qfil should be detecting your port . If not there should be a select port button next to it on top.
  6. Go to Tools then Partition Manager
  7. A window should pop up with all the partitions. If you get a shara failed error, make sure your drivers are installed correctly and try rebooting into edl again once more. To do that just hold vol - and power until the lg logo comes up and then keep holding vol - and power again and once it turns off again just do the edl combination again.
  8. Search for abl_a and right click on it. First do Read Data, it should take only a couple of seconds Then Load Image and load the v35 image. It should say GPT Finished or something like that at the log with no errors.
  9. Reboot holding volume - and power for like 20-30 seconds until the lg logo comes up Then hold the down button to boot into fastboot or it will automatically boot into fastboot depending on what version of android you are on.
  10. Open the folder where your adb tools are, then hold shift +Right Click in the folder and open powershell. Type and enter CMD
  11. Enter: Fastboot oem unlock it should output with OKAY, If it gives you unknown command, try a USB 2.0 port and then turn off your phone and while its booting up enter the command before you boot into fastboot. Once thats done dont close the window yet!!
  12. Once thats done you can now restore your other abl so you can boot back into android. To do that run %appdata% in the search bar or in the run window by holding the windows button and pressing the R button. Then you should be in C:\Users\{YOUR USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming
  13. Open up the Qualcomm folder --> QFIL --> COMPORT#
  14. There should be a ReadData Blah blah.bin in there. Drag and drop that in the folder where your adb tools are
  15. then go back to the window i told you not to close (The powershell/cmd window) then do fastboot flash abl_a (The file name with ReadData) without the ( ).
  16. Now you can turn off the phone vial holding volume - and power and then reboot into android!! You should get a bootloader unlocked or a cannot be checked for courrption message! Congrats your bootloader is unlocked!!

To root: Just back up your boot image via and then find it in %Appdata% put it in your phone then use magisk manager to patch the boot file and then take that boot file and then flash it to boot_a via edl.

I tried my best to write this guide and sorry for my grammatical mistakes. Ill be helping people unlock/root their bootloaders for free during this covid time as well. If you want to donate you can always tell me but its not necessary.

Ill try making a video as soon as i can.

I own a LG G7+ Indian variant(G710EAW).
This guide really works. I have successfully unlocked G710EAW bootloader by following this guide.
And I also managed to get it rooted by patching boot_a image file through magisk and loading at original partition.

Thanks to the author of original guide, and Awesomeslayerg made it more easier.

renguer0

Apr 14, 2012
Hi there. Thanks for sharing that info.

I own a canadian version of G7 and I'm trying to unlock it bootloader and root. I've problems to enter fastboot, after update the IMG with V35 one.

What can I try or what could be wrong witht that? Drivers are OK, I tried to get fastboot from adb, restarting and holding vol - or using vol - and plugging but I can't enter fastboot mode.

Maybe I need to downgrade? I'm in Android 9 (v20a_13-APR-2020)

Octavio01

May 15, 2016
I already unlocked my bootloader, I extracted my boot_a.img file with QFIL, but when installing magiks manager, it won't let me patch the boot_a.img image, the "lets go" button is grayed out, it won't let me move forward, you could patch me my boot_a for me?

Octavio01

May 15, 2016
Tengo una variante india de LG G7 + (G710EAW).
Esta guía realmente funciona. He desbloqueado con éxito el gestor de arranque G710EAW siguiendo esta guía.
Y también logré rootearlo parcheando el archivo de imagen boot_a a través de magisk y cargándolo en la partición original.

Gracias al autor de la guía original, Awesomeslayerg lo hizo más fácil.
I was able to unlock the bootloader, but magisk won't let me patch my boot_a.img, could you help me patch my boot img please?

rhythm_dx

I was able to unlock the bootloader, but magisk won't let me patch my boot_a.img, could you help me patch my boot img please?
I'd be happy to do it, although I'm not sure if the resulting file would work on another variant or even another phone of the same variant.

Can anyone weigh in on whether the patched boot image is the same for all phones, or if it has to be done on each individual phone?

Octavio01

May 15, 2016
I'd be happy to do it, although I'm not sure if the resulting file would work on another variant or even another phone of the same variant.

Can anyone weigh in on whether the patched boot image is the same for all phones, or if it has to be done on each individual phone?
I think the safest thing is that each one extracts their image file with QFIL, that's why I had planned to pass you my personal image extracted with QFIL, I just need someone to help me patch it up

When I try to patch with magisk directly I can't touch the "lets go" button :(

photo_2021-07-07_15-16-35.jpg

Oct 16, 2017
Hi everyone!!

IMPORTANT:NEVER SELECT ERASE OR FORMAT PARTITIONS IN LGUP. IT WILL MESS WITH YOUR IMEI

Im making a new guide to unlock your bootloader/root your device. Its easier to do a little bit risker but if you do it slowly you wont mess up your phone and in the event you do you can always recover it. Remember to FOLLOW ALL THE STEPS or you may end up messing up your phone, The best thing is, you dont need to downgrade to even unlock the bootloader!!

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PHONE BRICKS! YOU ARE FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE AND ITS YOUR CHOICE TO DO IT OR NOT TO DO IT AND YOURE THE ONE DOING IT. I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS OUT.

If you cant for some reason access fastboot even flashing the v35 file, use this guide: https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/how-to/verizon-lg-g710vm20f-t4057031 it says verizon but i think most of the models of the g7 cant acess fastboot so you can try this.

Requirments:
-A PC
- V35 ABL
--The LG FIrehose file
- QPST/QFIL
-9008 drivers FOLLOW THIS GUIDE!! To install drivers properly IF WINDOWS DOESNT INSTALL THEM AUTOMATICALLY!!
-PATIENCE!!

Steps.
  1. Download the V35 abl,LG Fire house file, download and install qppst and install the 9008 drivers (WUNDOWS 10 should automatically do it for you) If not, download it and install them.
  2. Boot into edl mode via connecting your phone to the pc then turning it off. Hold Vo- and power and keep pushing the vol+ button multiple times when it turns off.
  3. Go into device manager and check if its detected. to check open up device manager and check Ports and it should say Some port 9009 Qualcomm or something like that (IF theres a question mark, exclamation mark or it says qhusb bulk even after you install the drivers, make sure you disable driver signature enforcment on windows and install the drivers again. Theres multiple ways to do it just google on how to disable driver signature enforcment windows 10. Same with windows 7/8,)
    -- On the top go to configuration and where it says Device type, make sure you change it to ufs.
  5. At this point qfil should be detecting your port . If not there should be a select port button next to it on top.
  7. A window should pop up with all the partitions. If you get a shara failed error, make sure your drivers are installed correctly and try rebooting into edl again once more. To do that just hold vol - and power until the lg logo comes up and then keep holding vol - and power again and once it turns off again just do the edl combination again.
  8. Search for abl_a and right click on it. First do Read Data, it should take only a couple of seconds Then Load Image and load the v35 image. It should say GPT Finished or something like that at the log with no errors.
  9. Reboot holding volume - and power for like 20-30 seconds until the lg logo comes up Then hold the down button to boot into fastboot or it will automatically boot into fastboot depending on what version of android you are on.
  10. Open the folder where your adb tools are, then hold shift +Right Click in the folder and open powershell. Type and enter CMD
  11. Enter: Fastboot oem unlock it should output with OKAY, If it gives you unknown command, try a USB 2.0 port and then turn off your phone and while its booting up enter the command before you boot into fastboot. Once thats done dont close the window yet!!
  12. Once thats done you can now restore your other abl so you can boot back into android. To do that run %appdata% in the search bar or in the run window by holding the windows button and pressing the R button. Then you should be in C:\Users\{YOUR USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming
  14. There should be a ReadData Blah blah.bin in there. Drag and drop that in the folder where your adb tools are
  15. then go back to the window i told you not to close (The powershell/cmd window) then do fastboot flash abl_a (The file name with ReadData) without the ( ).
  16. Now you can turn off the phone vial holding volume - and power and then reboot into android!! You should get a bootloader unlocked or a cannot be checked for courrption message! Congrats your bootloader is unlocked!!

To root: Just back up your boot image via and then find it in %Appdata% put it in your phone then use magisk manager to patch the boot file and then take that boot file and then flash it to boot_a via edl.

I tried my best to write this guide and sorry for my grammatical mistakes. Ill be helping people unlock/root their bootloaders for free during this covid time as well. If you want to donate you can always tell me but its not necessary.

Will this work under Linux? I have ADB and Fastboot installed. I'm just not sure about using WINE to run the EXE files.

Oct 16, 2017
Hi everyone!!

Requirments:
-A PC
- V35 ABL
--The LG FIrehose file
- QPST/QFIL
-PATIENCE!!

Steps.

v35 ABL I get file not found, its dead link

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone!!

Requirments:
    -A PC
    - V35 ABL
    --The LG FIrehose file
    - QPST/QFIL

-PATIENCE!!

Steps.

Nice guide,
    Will I able to use this guide to root my G7 verizon version ? (G710VM)
    Thanks

Yes and no. Yes it will unlock the bootloader but the problem with verizon there is no fastboot unless you erase the laf imgs.

Which is why in my guide I use the crossflashed ULM11g it has fastboot and the oem unlock enable button which makes it easier to issue the "fastboot oem unlock" command.

Give it a try and if your not good at doing this with qfil will brick your device. If you run into issues try my guide.
    https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/how-to/verizon-lg-g710vm20f-t4057031
    Hi everyone!!

Requirments:
    -A PC
    - V35 ABL
    --The LG FIrehose file
    - QPST/QFIL

-PATIENCE!!

Steps.

I own a LG G7+ Indian variant(G710EAW).
    This guide really works. I have successfully unlocked G710EAW bootloader by following this guide.
    And I also managed to get it rooted by patching boot_a image file through magisk and loading at original partition.

Thanks to the author of original guide, and Awesomeslayerg made it more easier.
    ABL links is dead
    Thank you @Awesomeslayerg and @netookska05 . Finally got unlock and root using both your guides, after getting bricked twice and once going to sahara mode.
    Mine is an Indian EMW. Below are few important points i found after literally half a day of trial and errors :-
    1> Everything you do is at your own risk. I bricked my phone twice, so be careful.
    2> Most important is to get your partitions backed up using QFIL. This is the only thing that saved me from the two bricks and sahara mode. It takes a crazy amount of time to backup everything, but it was fully worth the time. Thank you again @Awesomeslayerg for this guide: https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/how-to/how-to-partitions-flash-abl-t-mo-t4051249
    3> I used the files linked in @netookska05 guide. Thank you for the guide it works on non Verizon phones also. https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/how-to/verizon-lg-g710vm20f-t4057031
    4> I needed to crossflash back to Oreo first. Only then the v35 boot loader gets loaded and fastboot oem unlock command works. https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/how-to/cross-flash-oreo-pie-firmwares-lg-g7-g7-t3915303
    5> For root, patching my boot images did not work. So i crossflashed back to 20n firmware and used @chirantantab guide to root. https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/development/root-t3958624
    Hope this helps some people finding it difficult to unlock and root their Indian EMWs.
    Right now using Lineage OS 17.1 :)