• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[HOWTO] Unlock TF700T in 2020

Search This thread

maisomenos

Jan 20, 2021
I DID IT!!!

What i did was:
1. used the VB image. Not sure if it is critical but it did have different options in settings. It didnt allow https files anyway though.
2. start mitmweb with the command "mitmweb --ssl-insecure"
now the https:// sites would be accessible from the tablet, the logs would show an error
"Certificate verification error for None: self signed certificate (errno: 18, depth: 0)" but the connection would still proceed, i guess this is not secure. :)
3. I verified all the files and steps and I noticed that the rights on the unlock app v.7 in system/apps were different to the instructions. When i changed them the app stopped installing after restart... I looked through ealier messages in this forum and someone had this issue already. It might happen if the apps were already installed. I (as he) did factory reset and repeated all the steps again clean and it worked.

I hope this might help someone. @Stealth75 FYI

@maisomenos , thanks!!!! Step 3 in the instructions https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...me-tf201-stock-to-android-7-1-nougat.3486237/ done, 7 more to go lol :)
Nice! Good job (y)

I'm going to edit the post with these new infos. I guess the problem was that the app was already installed when you put the apk on the system folder right?
Maybe I should specify to uninstall any previously installed unlock app, and do a factory if there are still problems.

Any other feedback would be appreciated!
If @Stealth75 is going to try again, can I ask you to test with the Windows version of mitmproxy just to be sure.

Reactions: Stealth75

Stealth75

Feb 22, 2021
Wow! Congratulations! 🎉
I'm trying to find time to have a good look at mine again.
So to clarify; you had to do a factory reset to get it to work?

Thanks @maisomenos as well for your thoughful reply and assistance. I think I will go back through and redo and check everything again. If you could package up that zip for me, I'd really appreciate it. I recall I had some trouble getting the DMClient. (Mine's a TF201 as well btw)

Thanks again! Such an awesome community fighting to keep our poor old TFs relevant!
I DID IT!!!

What i did was:
1. used the VB image. Not sure if it is critical but it did have different options in settings. It didnt allow https files anyway though.
2. start mitmweb with the command "mitmweb --ssl-insecure"
now the https:// sites would be accessible from the tablet, the logs would show an error
"Certificate verification error for None: self signed certificate (errno: 18, depth: 0)" but the connection would still proceed, i guess this is not secure. :)
3. I verified all the files and steps and I noticed that the rights on the unlock app v.7 in system/apps were different to the instructions. When i changed them the app stopped installing after restart... I looked through ealier messages in this forum and someone had this issue already. It might happen if the apps were already installed. I (as he) did factory reset and repeated all the steps again clean and it worked.

I hope this might help someone. @Stealth75 FYI

@maisomenos , thanks!!!! Step 3 in the instructions https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...me-tf201-stock-to-android-7-1-nougat.3486237/ done, 7 more to go lol :)

Stealth75

Feb 22, 2021
Nice! Good job (y)

I'm going to edit the post with these new infos. I guess the problem was that the app was already installed when you put the apk on the system folder right?
Maybe I should specify to uninstall any previously installed unlock app, and do a factory if there are still problems.

If @Stealth75 is going to try again, can I ask you to test with the Windows version of mitmproxy just to be sure.
Will do. My technical know-how doesn't extend to VB images. ;)

Ice_83

Nov 28, 2010
Nice! Good job (y)

@maisomenos , yeh, the app was installed before. So when i double checked everything and saw different rights on the Unlocker app i changed the rights to correct ones but that caused the app disappear. Here is the post (and a few posts above it where he describes the issue) i found and got the idea from to do a factory reset: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/howto-unlock-tf700t-in-2020.4157143/post-83424697 . So if someone wants to repeat the installation / redo the steps, the hardware reset is worth a try.

@Stealth75 , the VB is easy to install and there are good screenshots. The trick for me was to check the settings before i launched the image. It wanted to use my WiFi adapter for network instead of LAN and that didnt work. That said, i do think now the windows mitmproxy would have worked too had i ran it with --ssl-insecure.

Stealth75

Feb 22, 2021
@maisomenos , yeh, the app was installed before. So when i double checked everything and saw different rights on the Unlocker app i changed the rights to correct ones but that caused the app disappear. Here is the post (and a few posts above it where he describes the issue) i found and got the idea from to do a factory reset: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/howto-unlock-tf700t-in-2020.4157143/post-83424697 . So if someone wants to repeat the installation / redo the steps, the hardware reset is worth a try.

@Stealth75 , the VB is easy to install and there are good screenshots. The trick for me was to check the settings before i launched the image. It wanted to use my WiFi adapter for network instead of LAN and that didnt work. That said, i do think now the windows mitmproxy would have worked too had i ran it with --ssl-insecure.
Redid everything from scratch and still the same result. ::sigh::
Alright, I'm going to have to try the VB method.

Stealth75

Feb 22, 2021

Hi, sorry to bother you again. So I neded up trying with the VB, but I'm not sure how to actually set it up now that I have it installed? I've got the VMBox running but it's just showing me a black screen with a menu, not sure where to go from there.
I need to run it through my wifi but I'm noty sure of the network settings?
1628237821302.png

Ice_83

Nov 28, 2010
Hi, sorry to bother you again. So I neded up trying with the VB, but I'm not sure how to actually set it up now that I have it installed? I've got the VMBox running but it's just showing me a black screen with a menu, not sure where to go from there.
i followed the screenshots here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/howto-unlock-tf700t-in-2020.4157143/post-85097463
I dont know what you mean by black screen with a menue...
It also wanted to use my wifi first time i tried it, it loaded fine but the wifi was not working. I changed to LAN adapter in the settings (same screenshot as you attached), and it worked. Can you use LAN?? If it doesnt load the image at all i guess it is not working for you. In the end of the post he does say it doesnt run on all machines because of Ubuntu 20. You can also check in BIOS Intel virtualisation needs to be on.
But it is strange that windows Mitmproxy is not working, here one says it does https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/howto-unlock-tf700t-in-2020.4157143/post-85109569 - let me check tonight if my windows mitmproxy allows me connect to https websites when i run it as "mitmweb --ssl-insecure".

Ice_83

Nov 28, 2010
.....- let me check tonight if my windows mitmproxy allows me connect to https websites when i run it as "mitmweb --ssl-insecure".

@maisomenos , @Stealth75

i did some testing. Here are the results:
1. Even the mitmproxy on VB does not allow https website if i dont start it with --ssl-insecure. All same settings. You would think that we change the insecure setting in mitmweb options but that seems to be different.
2. the VB mitmweb and the windows one (at list the one i got) have different options. Specifically they are different in these screenshots

1628275241443.png

1628275406016.png

1628275333969.png

1628275357998.png

These differences seem to be critical since when i change them from "secure" to "TSLv1_2" on the VB mitmweb it stops letting https webpages open.

So the easiest way - use the VB mitmweb it seems and dont forget to start it as "mitmweb --ssl-insecure" in terminal.
I hope this helps.

Ice_83

Nov 28, 2010
this is how it looks for me - i did change it to the LAN adapter in the Name but didnt mess up with advanced settings. With wifi Ubuntu would load (so no black screen as you say) but i didnt have network.
1628275704159.png

Stealth75

Feb 22, 2021
Holy barking turtles!!!! I don't know what I did but it FINALLY worked!!!!
I AM UNLOCKED!
Man you guys don't know my relief - @Ice_83 , @maisomenos , @GloGlorius @d.l.i.w (feel like I'm at the Oscars here ! :ROFLMAO:) - I'm jumping around the room with excitement. Thank all of you and everyone else who's contributed on here for all of your help and patience!

For the record, I couldn't get the Ubuntu VB working for me, all I did was, playing around off @Ice_83 's above, went in and changed a couple of the settings on windows. I set tls_version_client_min and tls_version_server_min to Unbounded instead of TLS1_2 and hey presto! All sites were working on my tab!

1628321439428.png

Now to go and see if I can totally brick it flashing a new ROM. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: maisomenos

Ice_83

Nov 28, 2010
Holy barking turtles!!!! I don't know what I did but it FINALLY worked!!!!
I AM UNLOCKED!
Man you guys don't know my relief - @Ice_83 , @maisomenos , @GloGlorius @d.l.i.w (feel like I'm at the Oscars here ! :ROFLMAO:) - I'm jumping around the room with excitement. Thank all of you and everyone else who's contributed on here for all of your help and patience!

For the record, I couldn't get the Ubuntu VB working for me, all I did was, playing around off @Ice_83 's above, went in and changed a couple of the settings on windows. I set tls_version_client_min and tls_version_server_min to Unbounded instead of TLS1_2 and hey presto! All sites were working on my tab!

View attachment 5379997

Now to go and see if I can totally brick it flashing a new ROM. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks again everyone!
Lol, congrats. I laugh at myself why I do this effort with this old piece of electronics to do it a little less old but it is a nice feeling when it works. I think I tried what you did before and it didn't work. Did you start mitmweb with --ssl-insecure ? Probably that was the trick in combination with these unbound.

I finished step 5 yesterday (back up), I couldn't get into APX mode but managed in the end. Had to manually install the naked drivers for it to work.

Ice_83

Nov 28, 2010
Please keep us posted on how you go with the rom. That's my plan if I can get through this part! :D

@maisomenos , @Stealth75 , just finished the entire process, all went well except that i had to manually install the naked drivers for my Win10 to see the tab in APX mode, but this was part of the original instructions. So @Stealth75 definitively worth to continue if you unlocked it, the rest is a piece of cake comparing to it :)

Reactions: maisomenos

Stealth75

Feb 22, 2021
Did you start mitmweb with --ssl-insecure ? Probably that was the trick in combination with these unbound.
Oh yeah, that was the other bit! Thanks again for the tip. I really am swimming in the dark here.

i had to manually install the naked drivers for my Win10 to see the tab in APX mode, but this was part of the original instructions
I was struggling with this last night so I'll give it another try. When you say manual do you mean by going through Device Manager? I tried that but I keep gettng the unsigned driver error. I'm going to google that this morning and see if I can get around it.

definitively worth to continue if you unlocked it, the rest is a piece of cake comparing to it
Good to hear! Can't wait to (hopefully!) make a decent functioning tablet out of this thing!

Stealth75

Feb 22, 2021
EDIT: Never mind, I finally got past it through some kind of dumb luck(!). My first thought on seeing it boot up though is, 'damn, that's ugly!' Lol. Oh well, time to play.

@maisomenos Hi, quick question. When you were going through the setup wizard with the new ROM, did you have any trouble getting past the "toggle wifi on" part? I just can't seem to time it right and the start up app keeps crashing on me. :confused:

Last edited:

Ice_83

Nov 28, 2010
I was struggling with this last night so I'll give it another try. When you say manual do you mean by going through Device Manager? I tried that but I keep gettng the unsigned driver error.
Yes, from device manager. I think it barked on me for unsigned driver but I was able to install anyway, don't remember 100%. I needed that for my windows see the tab in APX mode, it may work for you straight away, try first.

Stealth75

Feb 22, 2021
Yes, from device manager. I think it barked on me for unsigned driver but I was able to install anyway, don't remember 100%. I needed that for my windows see the tab in APX mode, it may work for you straight away, try first.
Yeah, I finally got it all to work properly and now have a flash new tablet! Although it doesn't seem much quicker.

Stealth75

Feb 22, 2021
@Ice_83 and @maisomenos I'm just curious how you're finding your tablet performance now? I followed the tweaks suggested in the original katkiss post but my tf201 still seems to run a bit slow and lag here and there.
Did you have any other tweaks you performed?

Ice_83

Nov 28, 2010
@Ice_83 and @maisomenos I'm just curious how you're finding your tablet performance now? I followed the tweaks suggested in the original katkiss post but my tf201 still seems to run a bit slow and lag here and there.
Did you have any other tweaks you performed?
Hi. It became much faster, although it may not be on par with the new hardware. I can watch movies on it, in both browser and apps and it works well. Before it was impossible. I tried to install some apps for kids, some worked fine, others couldnt load at all, but that may be on the app - Android 7 is not the freshest anymore either. Browsing is usable too.
i did slightly overclock it as per guide and disabled the mandatory gpu acceleration. But i didnt notice much difference.

kamu2021

Jul 25, 2021
someone please make a video about this. Because this Tablet is so complicated to root. It keeps failing it looks like URL is expired. Someone please help.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: Asus has updated the servers. Older protocols for HTTPS, which are required for older Android versions, are no longer supported. Unfortunately, some additional steps are needed for the unlock now. See this post for step by step instructions.

I recently got my hands on a Asus TF700T with a locked boot loader. The official unlock app did not work, so I took a closer look. What I found is that the Asus servers are still up and running, but connection fails due to certificate pinning. And that can be dealt with ;)

So here are the instructions:
    1. The device must be rooted. KingoRoot (the app) worked for me.

2. Download the unlock bundle from the link below. I didn't find a way to directly attach files here.

3. Copy both apks to /system/app, change the permission to 0644
      For this, a remount of the system partition may be needed:
      mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /system

DMClient.apk replaces the original DMClient.apk and DMClient.odex (i.e. you have to rename/move/delete the .odex file)
      The modified unlock app cannot be installed like any other and must be installed that way

4. Reboot the device. On startup Android shows that one app is optimized (that's DMClient). The unlock app is now installed.

5. Use the unlock app. Google account does not matter.

Watch logcat to get some more information on what the unlock app does. On success the device immediately reboots, so redirect adb logcat to a file if you want to keep the log.

I only tested on a TF700T with WW SKU, V10.6.1.14.10. I assume that other firmware versions work as well.
    The unlock app for TF700T also supports TF201, TF300T, TF300TG, and TF300TL, but a modified DMClient is needed.

In case something goes wrong and your device gets stuck at the boot screen, this advice may be helpful:

(thanks @DieAbrissbirne)

Download links

Unlock app
    and DMClient for TF700T
    https://leo.pfweb.eu/dl/OaKdx
    • WW_epad-10.6.1.14.10
    • JOP40D.US_epad-10.6.1.14.10-20130801

DMClient for TF300T
    https://leo.pfweb.eu/dl/vUHnp

DMClient for TF300TG
    https://leo.pfweb.eu/dl/xphHy

DMClient for TF201
    https://leo.pfweb.eu/dl/pKvEA
    • WW_epad_10.4.2.17

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlock app and DMClient for TF701T
    https://leo.pfweb.eu/dl/2AcpB

DMClient for ME301T (also seems to work for ME302KL)
    https://leo.pfweb.eu/dl/uiJPN
    Hello everyone!
    On our local forum, we came up with this option.
    I think you already know how to install the unlocker and how to prepare the tablet.
    I prepared an image for VirtualBox with Ubuntu and mitmproxy installed and configured.
    Install VirtualBox, download the image (size 3.88 GB) and import it into VB:
    vb_Screenshot_10.png

vb_Screenshot_11.png

vb_Screenshot_12.png

vb_Screenshot_13.png
    Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

We write down the IP address from the last screen, you will have your own. This will be the IP address of your proxy server.
    Open a terminal and enter the mitmweb command, press enter:
    Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Firefox will open and try to load the web terminal without success. Close your browser.
    Open again and go to 127.0.0.1:8081:
    Screenshot_7.png

The web terminal will open. Here we go to the Options tab, check the Display Event Log checkbox and click on Edit Options
    Screenshot_8.png

In the window that opens, put the checkboxes on showhost and ssl_insecure. Close the options window.
    Screenshot_9.png

Open any site in the browser - in the terminal you will see the logs.
    1. Set the pin code in advance to access the tablet Security -> Screen lock -> PIN
    2. Go to the WiFi settings, clamp your network, select Change network.
    3. In advanced settings Proxy server -> Manual.
    4. Hostname - your recorded IP address of the virtual machine, port 8080.
    5. Save.
    6. Open the browser on the tablet, go to mitm.it, download the certificate for Android.
    7. After downloading, a window for entering a pin code will open, followed by a certificate installation wizard. Enter the name of the certificate, for example mitmproxy and click OK.
    8. After installing the certificate, open any site in a browser on the tablet, you will see the connection of your device in the logs of the web terminal.
    9. Launch the unblocker and try it.
    P.S. The time is set to GMT on the proxy server, you may need to set it to local.
    Superuser login: mitm
    Password: mitmvb

UPD:
    It turned out that this image does not start on all systems due to Ubuntu version 20. In order for everyone to have this working, version 16 is needed. I will reload the image today with Ubuntu 16.
    Hey!
    I unlocked my Me302kl today via mitmproxy with standard settings. Later I will write how I did it.
    P.S. Sorry for my English :giggle:
    Oh boy.. Can't wait to see where I ****ed up in my tests... Thanks! Don't forget us :p
    My story.
    I installed mitmproxy on Windows 10, tried it via WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux), but it didn't work for me. In the terminal, I see that there is a connection and exchange, but in the tablet logs I see the answer 502.

But when connecting via mitmproxy, the unlocker began to respond for a long time, from which I concluded that I was moving in the right direction.

In the end, I took a very old laptop and installed the latest Ubuntu and mitmproxy on it. I installed the certificate into the system and made a proxy server out of the laptop.

The tablet was reset to factory settings. Google account did not connect after reboot. I got a root with KingoRoot. The first time did not work, the tablet rebooted, but the rights did not appear. The second time everything went well.

I used the unblocker that I attached to the post. The original DMClient has been renamed. I have set permission 0644 for copied files. I prepared a certificate for Android according to this instruction. I copied it to /system/etc/security of the tablet, set the rights to 0644 (in our case, the user certificate does not suit us, we need a system one). I turned on the proxy in the WiFi settings of the tablet, specifying the IP address of the laptop and port 8080. I rebooted the tablet.

I used mitmweb on a proxy server, it seemed more convenient to me. In the settings, I enabled the showhost and ssl_insecure options (sorry, in the previous post I said that the settings were by default, I was mistaken due to insomnia ☺️)

I launched the unlocker and everything worked right away.

If anyone needs details on preparing a proxy server, I am ready to describe my experience.
    As far as I remember, mitmproxy (mitmweb) worked in transparent mode with default settings back then when I tested the unlock for my device. I simply created a wifi hotspot and routed all traffic through mitmproxy.

I prepared a certificate for Android according to this instruction. I copied it to /system/etc/security of the tablet, set the rights to 0644 (in our case, the user certificate does not suit us, we need a system one). I turned on the proxy in the WiFi settings of the tablet, specifying the IP address of the laptop and port 8080. I rebooted the tablet.

I used mitmweb on a proxy server, it seemed more convenient to me. In the settings, I enabled the showhost and ssl_insecure options (sorry, in the previous post I said that the settings were by default, I was mistaken due to insomnia ☺️)

Oh yes. Certificate pinning is disabled, but the certificate itself is still checked. I forgot that I indeed had to add the MITM certificate to the system certificates.

If I read (and reconstruct) my notes correctly, this is what I did (Linux):

1. Install mitmproxy in venv
    Bash:
    python3 -m venv mitmproxy
    source mitmproxy-env/bin/activate

pip install --upgrade pip setuptools
    pip install mitmproxy

2. Start WIFI-Hotspot
    Bash:
    nmcli dev wifi hotspot ifname wlan0 ssid test password "12345678"

3. Configure iptables for wlan0
    Bash:
    sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
    sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1
    sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.all.send_redirects=0

iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o wlan0 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan0 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i wlan0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8080
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i wlan0 -p tcp --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8080
    ip6tables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i wlan0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8080
    ip6tables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i wlan0 -p tcp --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8080
    See https://docs.mitmproxy.org/stable/howto-transparent/

4. Start mitmproxy
    Bash:
    mitmweb --mode transparent

This procedure does not require setting the proxy on the tablet. At the time, I did not change any mitmproxy settings. The changes to the server now probably require ssl_insecure as mentioned by @GloGlorius .