HP Elite X3 Lap Dock With Stock Note 9

Search This thread

server5

Mar 18, 2008
I'm not sure I totally understand this concept. Why merge DeX into PC? Wasnt the whole point of DeX to bypass windows by creating a desktop environment? If you're lugging you're PC, then you wouldn't need DeX in the first place. You don't need DeX to do file transfers on your PC.
https://images.samsung.com/apps/davinci/samsung-dex/common/samsungdex_kv_mo.jpg

I suppose a virtual android desktop at work might come handy...

Then again, this still doesn't make sense.

Edit #4....

Slightly abused X3 for sale
B.O.

Last edited:

server5

Mar 18, 2008
Not according to the link posted above outlining the new features about dex.
It states that it is "Only available in Galaxy Note 10 and Note10+, and requires PC app download" - just under the section titled "Bring samsung dex to your computer".
Typical Samsung... initial roll out might be tied down to N10 with eventual roll out to others. Personally makes no sense to lock it down

sonicb00m77

Sep 15, 2019
Hi Guys,

So, I have a mate 20 x and a Y model lap dock with original cable.

I've tried repeatedly to get it working, and occasionally, I don't know why and it is hard to repeat, but I get EMUI loaded. It's pretty amazing.

Any thoughts on how to make it consistently work?

bober10113

Mar 12, 2017
Hi Guys,

So, I have a mate 20 x and a Y model lap dock with original cable.

I've tried repeatedly to get it working, and occasionally, I don't know why and it is hard to repeat, but I get EMUI loaded. It's pretty amazing.

Any thoughts on how to make it consistently work?
hold pwr button for a good 15 seconds (till u see the keyboard backlight open. as per previous discussion)

I wanted to get the lap dock, but as a European with an Exynos Note 8, in the end I did not take the risk. Instead I now have a portable touch screen monitor from Amazon with speakers. To be honest I should have done that earlier, for me it is as good a solution as the lap dock;
- It works every time, no hassle, hard reboots, setting to dark mode etc. It should also work with any future (Samsung) phone.
- The touch screen is much better than a touch pad
- cost is about the same
- No keyboard attached of course, but mine has 2 micro USB ports, the adapter cables to USB A were included, so I can easily connect a mouse and keyboard. At home I use that, but with my Foldable Bluetooth keyboard it should be fine on the go as well.
At 15.6" it is a bit large, the 13.3" versions did not have built-in speakers. But the phone audio works as well so it would have been ok I suppose.

I am not saying the lap dock isn't nice but this is definitely a good alternative.

I bought a 15.6" FHD Touchscreen with Battery from AliExpress for 170USD. It very good. The battery last for 3-4 hours. I couldn't find a smaller one with touch and battery. This screen was the only one with both touch and battery.
I use it with my note 9 with type c to type c cable that came with the screen and it works well. I can use it with my windows 10 pc using hdmi to mini hdmi cable and usb cable to get a second monitor with touch.

I have been using it for 2 months now and it is like having a big tablet with high specs for cheap price.

It comes with a book case, type c to type c cable, type a to type c cable, mini hdmi to hdmi cable and the 12v charger.
All for 170usd with shipping through DHL.

---------------‐-------------------------------

Forgot to mentions that the Touchscreen has speakers too. But they are average sound quality. I use my Samsung level flex to listen to the audio

Last edited:

sonicb00m77

Sep 15, 2019
hold pwr button for a good 15 seconds (till u see the keyboard backlight open. as per previous discussion)

Hi there,

Regrettably, that suggestion does not work on my combo units(Mate20x, Y model lap dock.)

I am baffled as to why I've had success, albeit rare.

The couple of times it work, I had launched an OTG usb checker app, then launched the lap dock, again I don't know if I can confirm this was the magic sauce but it did work 2/100. lol.

Anyways, really want this to be reliable, I've also tried the play music trick, didn't work.

Thanks again.

S.

bober10113

Mar 12, 2017
Hi there,

Regrettably, that suggestion does not work on my combo units(Mate20x, Y model lap dock.)

I am baffled as to why I've had success, albeit rare.

The couple of times it work, I had launched an OTG usb checker app, then launched the lap dock, again I don't know if I can confirm this was the magic sauce but it did work 2/100. lol.

Anyways, really want this to be reliable, I've also tried the play music trick, didn't work.

Thanks again.

S.
cable ? or

i do know that the usb c port on the lapdock is a bit loose. but on note 9 phones, having the laptop dock plugged in with either the supplied usbc hp cable or an other good quality 10 gbps capable cable and holding the left side power button for the prescribed 15 or more seconds does the trick every time.( any random charging usb c cable wont work. thunderbolt cables seem to work better)

Last edited:

ulfgille

Sep 19, 2019
HP Lapdock and Sony Xperia 1

Popping in to mention that I got the HP Lapdock Y1M47EA#UUW to work very good with my Sony Xperia 1 and Sentio Desktop. As others have mentioned the touchpad buttons do not work, but apart from that, everything is fine as long as i'ts connected with the cable. The only problem apart from the buttons, is that Netflix won't work inside Sentio Desktop due to some resolution issue.

zirali1981

May 22, 2018
Some hope..

Popping in to mention that I got the HP Lapdock Y1M47EA#UUW to work very good with my Sony Xperia 1 and Sentio Desktop. As others have mentioned the touchpad buttons do not work, but apart from that, everything is fine as long as i'ts connected with the cable. The only problem apart from the buttons, is that Netflix won't work inside Sentio Desktop due to some resolution issue.

Hi,

I have the Y4T08AA LapDock and I tried connecting a One Plus 3, a Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 with the cable and nothing happens but when I connect via settings/wireless display from both phones it works pretty well for things like YouTube, Kodi etc and yes the speakers on the LapDock do work. The keyboard on the LapDock won't type I wish there was an app that fixed this somehow....

radie1230

Jul 13, 2014
Curious to know if anyone's tried this and gotten similar results with a Note 10 (or 10+)?

I will be getting the Y4T07AA shortly and will be testing it with my Note 10+ Exynos

I've found the links and steps above to update the wireless firmware.

Any tips or notes to update the direct connection firmware? Or anything else I should look for? I appreciate that many of you have had these for quite a while and would like to get your experience before spending many hours down the wrong rabbit holes :)

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
I found one for € 149,- so couldn't resist taking that chance, even after having read my chances would be slim, and of course it bit me in the @ss...

Model Y1M47EA#ABH.
Running on the latest (wireless) firmware the v2.3.6.0 HP Wireless Settings Windows 10 app had to offer, and it's running in the infamous HDMI connected/disconnected/check HDMI connection loop with a European Exynos Note 10+, Note 8 and S8.
Done all the tricks and suggestions, but it just won't work. Keyboard does work as others have experienced as well. Smart View/casting works, but this is only mirroring, without any input.

When plugging in my Tab S4 it immediately works, Dex launches, even audio goes through the Lapdock speakers. That works perfect, they way I would want it, but there's no use to having the Lap Dock hooked to the Tab S4 with keyboard cover.
That Tab S4 is a Snapdragon model, so I am just guessing my Lap Dock only works with Snapdragons, and not at all with Exynos.

Unless you guys know of something else, I think I'm just going to give up trying.

BTW: some people talk about having screen mirroring, but that the key input doubles. How do you get the Lap Dock keyboard/mouse to work over wireless screen mirroring in the fist place then?

EDIT: after fiddling with it again last night, the Exynos Note 8 suddenly works - kind of. Dex launches, and it shows up on the Lap Dock, but in a distorted resolution, and I can't use the Lap Dock keyboard and mouse, but I can control the mouse using the Note 8 screen touch pad option. Couldn't change the resolution, and don't know why it suddenly started working with the Note 8.
No luck with the Note 10+, but at least there's some 'renewed motivation'.
Gonna try some other cable options.

Last edited:

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
Ok, I got seriously lucky.
Found the mainboard of the V8H07UT#ABA online, and it arrived today.
Replaced the mainboard of my Y1M47EA#ABH with it, and I now have a working Lap Dock with my European Exynos Note 10+. Happy camper here!

pptt

May 27, 2007
Ok, I got seriously lucky.
Found the mainboard of the V8H07UT#ABA online, and it arrived today.
Replaced the mainboard of my Y1M47EA#ABH with it, and I now have a working Lap Dock with my European Exynos Note 10+. Happy camper here!
Nice. Where did you find the main board and was it hard to swap?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As I promised, here is my review on using HP Elite Lap Dock X3 with my Note 9 :D

First thing first, the connection quality.
    I don't understand why, but it sometimes need several times of reconnecting my note 9 to the lap dock to be recognized properly. Sometimes, my phone recognizes it as only a HDMI monitor, so the keyboard and touchpad doesn't work. On other time, it sometimes shows up in a not FHD screen (it appears blurry and resolution is very low(. Both of this problem can be fixed by reconnecting the phone (sometimes, several times).

Secondly, the audio.
    THIS is my main problem and hesitation on using my hp lap dock with a dex phone. On my rooted, Oreo Samsung S8, the audio just doesn't want to output to the HP Lap Dock. And.... It happens as well with my note 9.
    Even worse, is the audio rerouting option. When I used my rooted S8, I can reroute the audio output to my S8 using Samsung's Smart Switch app. On my Note 9, when I checked the smartswitch options, there is only a HDMI output and USB Audio output. There is NO option to reroute the audio back to the phone.

*Just a note, my HP Lap Dock audio itself is working. I tested it by connecting it with my Surface Go and it can output sound pretty nice.

Third, the USB-C connector on the right.
    Yep, just the same experience with my rooted S8, it doesn't work. Such a bummer.

Well, so far what I've reviewed is the bad side of using HP Lap Dock as dex compaion.. But what are the pros?

First of all, portability.
    Well, actually not that portable since this lap dock is quite huge and you'll be getting a better laptop in this size using windows laptop or macbook. But, if you're in a pinch of money after getting sucked dry when pre-ordering your note 9, or you just wanted to show off note 9 capabilities, this is it.

Secondly, the screen and keyboard.
    Well, basically this lap dock have a very good screen and keyboard. If you're planning on writing a lot of thing on the go, you can use this.

Personally, eve though I just bought a Microsoft Surface Go, I still prefer the android-dex for my main daily usage. The reason is, android just seems to be a lot practical to use (open youtube? just click the app, no need to type in the browser). The surface go only sits there to ensure whether there is some things that need to be done using .exe applications or complex writing using Microsoft full-fledge office 365 suite.

Hopefully, this review is helpful for anyone planning to use it :D

*For the record, my hp lap dock system version is at 8.0.11.0.
    Anyone using different system version may encounter difference in experience.

I shot a quick raw video of me using my Note 9 with the HP lapdock. The speakers work great and the usb-c ports on the right are also functional. Also worth mentioning is that when I receive a phone call, the game music pauses and the audio re-routes to my bluetooth headset. When I am finished with the call, the sound routes back to the lapdock!
    I decided for funsies to try out my lap dock with my new Nvidia 2080 Ti USB-C port in Windows 10 1809. Everything works! Display, sound, USB ports, keyboard and.... both left and right touchpad buttons!

https://youtu.be/DeU1dQ9qFUU
    My Experience

Hp Lapdock V8H07UT New, unknown Firmware (most likely T0053)
    Note 9 Exynos 128gb Middle East
    Intel Nuc Skull Canyon
    Using the usb-c come with it.

1st
    Hp Lapdock + Note 9

Not Working
    Touchpad click button

Some Time Work With Workthrough *
    Sound Speaker
    Audio 3.5 jack

Working
    every thing else

2nd
    Hp Lapdock + Intel Nuc Skull Canyon ( pic )
    Not Working
    NON till now

Some Time Work With Workthrough *
    Sound Speaker
    Audio 3.5 jack

Working
    every thing else esp. Touchpad click button

* Sound Walkthrough:
    1st Lapdock Speaker: (both Note 9 and Intel Nuc)
    1- Force Power Off Lapdock by press and hold the power button for 15 to 20 sec (till the logo of HP appear and the screen become Black again)
    2- connect the phone to the lapdock
    3- power on the lapdock

the speaker and the audio jack will work now BUT if you power off, close the screen or unconnect and reconnect the phone the sound will not work and you need to repeat the steps again

2nd
    Sound form Your Phone (only Note 9)

1- enable Developer Option ( Gif )
    2- Go to Developer Option
    3- enable Prevent USB audio routing ( Pic )
    4- connect your phone to Lapdock and enter the Dex Mode
    _*you can continue or goto optional steps*_
    5- right click (or two fingers tap on touchpad) on the speaker icon ( pic )
    6- choose sound from My Phone (Note 9).
    sound will work now BUT from your phone.
    Optional Steps:
    1-install SmartThings app to your Note 9
    2-Open SmartThings app and go to setting option ( Pic )
    3- Switch SmartThings Panal to on
    4- after connect lapdock to your phone and go to Notification Panel a new SmartThings option will appear
    5- From Audio output option Choose your phone ( Pic )

PS:
    1- Some users have solve the sound issue after update the lapdock to last firmware. (cant confirmed).
    2- touchpad button not recognized by the note 9 I think it is a kernel issue.

Hope you find my experience useful
    (sorry for my English)
    Decided to play around with my lapdock and s9plus today and out of the blue everything works. Audio both from the speakers and headphone, so does the touchpad/keyboard and my usb c portable drive. I have to select usb audio from the smart things menu but it works great after.