HPP-GS1 (Hot Pepper Ghost)

Search This thread

Noob@Noobland

Feb 17, 2021
I know that I probably won't get any help since this is a budget phone from a random company, but has anyone figured out how to get Android 10 on the phone? If not, does anyone know how to install Magisk or root this phone? I've read threads on how to install it, but they don't list this phone as supported. TWRP doesn't support Hot Pepper Ghost so how can I install Magisk? Kingoroot doesn't let me root the phone, so what is another way?

D

Deleted member 1890170

To download RootGenius Shuame here you go:

luckydliu010

Oct 16, 2017
Try Project Treble. That's what I learned today from Reddit, but there isn't a way to install it since there is no TWRP file thingy for this phone. Do you know if I could install it using ADB or?!??
Wait are you Nightcore? LOL that's my thread :p . I am going to **** around with a Moto E5 (similar CPU, but has lots more documentation) and see if I can figure a way to load via ADB.

Mar 27, 2021
Moto G6
ZTE Maven 3
I know that I probably won't get any help since this is a budget phone from a random company, but has anyone figured out how to get Android 10 on the phone? If not, does anyone know how to install Magisk or root this phone? I've read threads on how to install it, but they don't list this phone as supported. TWRP doesn't support Hot Pepper Ghost so how can I install Magisk? Kingoroot doesn't let me root the phone, so what is another way?
Did you figure out how to unlock the bootloader? It fails everytime I try.

googlephoneFKLenAsh

Jul 31, 2017
Google Pixel 3a
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
I unlocked mine as soon as it came in today..

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot devices
fastboot flashing unlock_critical

then, if that doesn't unlock it, then do the age old "fastboot oem unlock"
Do you know how to root after unlocking bootloader?
How can we pull the boot.img from the os?
There is no firmware available for download.

Mar 27, 2021
Moto G6
ZTE Maven 3
I managed to unlock the phone using MTK Client on Ubuntu and plan on rooting the phone and installing a GSI. However, I accidentally bootlooped the phone and I think it has to do with dm-verity. I managed to extract some of the important firmware like boot.img and system.img. However, I didn't patch the boot.img with Magisk before the bootloop happen. Would anyone who has a Hot Pepper Ghost (HPP GS1) be able to install Magisk Manager and patch the boot.img attached for me? It would be very appreciated as I think it would solve my bootloop.

Attachments

• boot.img
    32 MB · Views: 95
Mar 27, 2021
Moto G6
ZTE Maven 3
Do you know how to root after unlocking bootloader?
How can we pull the boot.img from the os?
There is no firmware available for download.
I was able to get the boot.img and system.img using MTK Client after unlocking the bootloader. The post above has the boot.img and I would greatly appreciate if you could help me out with my problem.

googlephoneFKLenAsh

Jul 31, 2017
Google Pixel 3a
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
I was able to get the boot.img and system.img using MTK Client after unlocking the bootloader. The post above has the boot.img and I would greatly appreciate if you could help me out with my problem.

Mind to share how you bootlooped, so that others can avoid it?

Patched with magisk 24312:

Attachments

• magisk_patched-24312_U4aH3.img
    32 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021
Moto G6
ZTE Maven 3
Mind to share how you bootlooped, so that others can avoid it?

Patched with magisk 24312:

Unfortunately, the patched boot.img still didn't fix the bootloop.

Currently, I am attempting to build TWRP for the device to see if that can fix anything. I used the twrptgen command to make a device tree for the Ghost with the boot.img and am trying to build TWRP, but I am running into an error.

I have posted on this forum (page 240) if anyone could help with that.

In terms of bootlooping, the process of unlocking the bootloader with MTK Client as documented in the GitHub went fine. After booting, it did show a dm-verity error and orange state saying the bootloader had been unlocked, but all was still fine. Proceeding, I decided to try to flash a GSI and this is where I ran into problems. I attempted to flash the original system.img again, but that didn't work. Also for some reason it wouldn't boot into recovery, even though it should be tied into the boot.img not system.img because of the A/B partitioning. However, I still have access to BROM mode for MTK Client and fastboot mode. I think the bootloop has something to do with dm-verity and vbmeta.img, but I have tried a lot on those lines with no prevail.

I think there are two fixes to this problem. One being TWRP, if I can successfully build it, and the second flashing the entire stock firmware with a flash.bin file and starting over. I didn't realize until it was too late that I should have backed up everything into a flash.bin file using MTK Client, and instead only backed up specific partitions.

It would be awesome if you could help me and post a flash.bin file to this forum of the stock firmware for the Ghost. The instructions on how to do that are here, but in specific are as follows (on a Linux distribution, preferably Ubuntu):

Code:
sudo apt install python3 git libusb-1.0-0 python3-pip
git clone https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient
cd mtkclient
pip3 install -r requirements.txt
python3 setup.py build
python3 setup.py install
sudo usermod -a -G plugdev $USER
sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER
sudo cp Setup/Linux/*.rules /etc/udev/rules.d
sudo udevadm control -R

**Make sure to reboot now before proceeding**

**To put the Ghost into BROM mode (which is how you will read the partitions) make sure it is powered off. Then run this command:**

python3 mtk rf flash.bin

**Then, press and hold VOLUME UP, VOLUME DOWN, AND POWER, all at the same time, and at the same time, plug the phone into the computer with a USB cable.**

**The phone should start reading all the partitions and once it is done, it will have outputed a flash.bin file for the Ghost**

leviathon713

Jan 31, 2023
Any update on this project? I've had two of these phones for years, would love to be able to load a different OS onto one of them.

One of mine appears to have already been flashed with a basic android 9. It has strange problems, like not detecting the fingerprint reader and a few other things I can't think of offhand. Anyway, you can tell it isn't the same as the other one.

The normal one I bought new, the odd one came from ebay.

Anyway, just wanted to check on this topic. I don't use either of them at this point. I like messing with these types of things for fun.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm going to try and get a TWRP working on this Hot Pepper today, I'll let you guys know...
    No luck so far with the TWRP, I've tried several auto-porters for MTK but to no avail. I'll have to compile us one from source, not to mention it'd be nice to have a custom kernel available anyway so that;s what I'll be focused on now.

Also: I was able to reflash my /system partition with a Lineage 19.1 vanilla build and it works very nicely! I made a backup of my super partition afterwards so if any of you are interested in trying the new super.img let me know by private message