HTC 10 Camera Thread

Search This thread

Rado_vr6

Sep 16, 2010
I'm just not that impressed. I honestly believe my 6p captures better photos in Auto mode. I'm not a photographer and most of the people who use smartphones could care less about manual controls for quick snaps( see iPhone sales).

If I have to use pro mode just to capture a decent picture of my kids then we have a serious problem. I know the photo buffs will probably thumb their noses, but I could care less. The phone should be more than capable of getting decent pictures without having to adjust everything manually.

Sent from my HTC 10 using XDA-Developers mobile app

vicvega

May 24, 2007
New York
These were before the software update.

No flash fluorescent lighting

2ebaa9df977cc4b1fcc6d34a73794109.jpg

Overcast day construction

33d25a3627c700ee3973492d0bed5de2.jpg

Photos taken after software update to follow.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Beirut
twitter.com
I'm just not that impressed. I honestly believe my 6p captures better photos in Auto mode. I'm not a photographer and most of the people who use smartphones could care less about manual controls for quick snaps( see iPhone sales).

If I have to use pro mode just to capture a decent picture of my kids then we have a serious problem. I know the photo buffs will probably thumb their noses, but I could care less. The phone should be more than capable of getting decent pictures without having to adjust everything manually.

6p uses a post processing software trick called HDR+ and has latency, you take a shot and then you wait, not great with kids, turn it off and see how the 6P image quality goes down hill

on the 10 you have two ways, slide down the slider or cap the ISO in pro mode, you can use pro mode in JPG only, which is pretty effortless

aknotts415

May 6, 2014
6p uses a post processing software trick called HDR+ and has latency, you take a shot and then you wait, not great with kids, turn it off and see how the 6P image quality goes down hill

on the 10 you have two ways, slide down the slider or cap the ISO in pro mode, you can use pro mode in JPG only, which is pretty effortless

HDR+ really isnt as slow as you act like it is. Have you ever used it or a Nexus 6p? Its very convenient for the average shooter to use hdr+ than have to slide that dump exposure slider 50 times on tap to focus. Most typical customers also will probly never look at the pro mode also.

Stephen

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee Ban Time!
Staff member
Jul 14, 2010
Northern Ireland
OnePlus 8T
Messing around with my 10. Loving this phone. Best phone I have had so far (possible exception the infamous HTC HD2 :) ) but love the camera, I am on 1.30 firmware and camera. This is a simple photo I took in standard photo mode with everything on auto.

ukBbpcm.jpg

Here is another I took in RAW with everything in auto.

XpjOTBs.jpg

Definitly the beast camera I have had yet!

Rado_vr6

Sep 16, 2010
HDR+ really isnt as slow as you act like it is. Have you ever used it or a Nexus 6p? Its very convenient for the average shooter to use hdr+ than have to slide that dump exposure slider 50 times on tap to focus. Most typical customers also will probly never look at the pro mode also.
I'm the average Joe when it comes to photo taking. I am NOT the guy that has an eye for photography. Hell, I just want to be able to take decent pictures of my kids and the car without having to read a book about how to get the best shot. I don't have very many hipster friends either so not like I can get advice there .

aknotts415

May 6, 2014
I'm the average Joe when it comes to photo taking. I am NOT the guy that has an eye for photography. Hell, I just want to be able to take decent pictures of my kids and the car without having to read a book about how to get the best shot. I don't have very many hipster friends either so not like I can get advice there .

So true. Making excuses for this phones camera by saying all you have to do is use the exposure slider or go into promode and jack the iso down isnt a valid excuse when you do not have to do that on the s7e or g5 to get good low light photos. HTC touted excellent lowlight photos. I wouldnt have suck a big problem with this phone if when you did tap to focus it didnt put the green circle until it actually was focused. Sometimes its not all the way focused. Its almost like they put the green circle up there to fool consumers into thinking it focuses as fast as the s7e. Also id be more happy if the exposure slider in auto was by the shutter button and not some tiny ass slider u have to swipe 50 times at lol

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Beirut
twitter.com
So true. Making excuses for this phones camera by saying all you have to do is use the exposure slider or go into promode and jack the iso down isnt a valid excuse when you do not have to do that on the s7e or g5 to get good low light photos. HTC touted excellent lowlight photos. I wouldnt have suck a big problem with this phone if when you did tap to focus it didnt put the green circle until it actually was focused. Sometimes its not all the way focused. Its almost like they put the green circle up there to fool consumers into thinking it focuses as fast as the s7e. Also id be more happy if the exposure slider in auto was by the shutter button and not some tiny ass slider u have to swipe 50 times at lol

This is photothread best served by sharing actual photos you want to keep bashing the same did horse be my guest but take it somewhere elsewhere probably the reviews thread, same goes for the P9 lover who is throwing judgments about our 12bit RAW without even touching an HTC 10 DNG

Rado_vr6

Sep 16, 2010
This is photothread best served by sharing actual photos you want to keep bashing the same did horse be my guest but take it somewhere elsewhere probably the reviews thread, same goes for the P9 lover who is throwing judgments about our 12bit RAW without even touching an HTC 10 DNG
And we're talking about photo quality. We on this device as well as a couple others so we can compare shots between each of the devices. Since it's the photo thread we are entitled to our opinions. Like I said before I'm not a professional photographer so I do not want to have to mess with exposure settings in the least. I'm merely speaking my point that my 6p takes more Vivid photos in auto mode then my HTC does.

Reactions: DeadPotato

omersak

Oct 15, 2010
And we're talking about photo quality. We on this device as well as a couple others so we can compare shots between each of the devices. Since it's the photo thread we are entitled to our opinions. Like I said before I'm not a professional photographer so I do not want to have to mess with exposure settings in the least. I'm merely speaking my point that my 6p takes more Vivid photos in auto mode then my HTC does.

I think what he means is that it'd be helpful if you could post comparison pictures or samples where the 6P is doing better than the HTC 10. I know I'd definitely be interested in those as I've had the 6P before and know what it's camera was capable off.

Who knows, perhaps after looking at the pictures you may even get advice which helps increase the image quality of the HTC 10.

Adam182

Jul 26, 2009
UK
Does anyone know why even though I have the camera set to save to SD card I'm still getting copies on both SD card and internal? Thanks

RSK01

Jul 11, 2007
My family has the S7e, HTC10 and iPhone 6s+ at the moment. Honestly, the S7e, does have an advantage over the 10 at low light shots at the moment.

About the slider, I hope people know you can swipe anywhere using the full height of the screen to make the adjustments, it is not limited to tiny swipes beside the green circle. So when I am using it, it's usually one swipe at most two.... Not 5, or 50 swipes....

Sent from my HTC_M10h using XDA-Developers mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: blane237 and hamdir

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    7505e6bcb5d04c47f02fc9a48e04bc87.jpg

075ed55d072dca9c1292df79a399ca45.jpg

Auto

Mostly Pro mode Auto Enhanced with PSX. Still have the yellow tint issue on auto mode (auto white balance) under bright sun shine.

FW 1.55

27060208884_d50db5a60a_k_d.jpg

27672180285_6544d11f8c_k_d.jpg

27571444072_79ec33416d_z_d.jpg

27597793421_9e51e7cdaf_b_d.jpg

27672442015_3a7dbf5e5a_k_d.jpg

FW 1.8

27655436776_7cb623da8a_k_d.jpg

27690599905_1b44b01d5e_k_d.jpg

27078398764_082ec7616f_k_d.jpg

27616560901_da65a0b345_k_d.jpg

27078783224_962a126986_k_d.jpg

More samples here on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Google Photos does a very nice animation with multiple shots
    c55f3025c630ef205fca58d99ef730bf.gif

Sent from my HTC_M10h using XDA-Developers mobile app
    For those who said the HTC 10 camera isn't as good as the 5x and 6p, or even the S7, feel free to peruse the shots below!

The 5X and 6P have nice processing, but lens performance and lack of OIS produce mediocre results in low light/high contrast scenes (though you really have to keep the lens clean on the 10 to avoid streaking).

The S7 over processes, as many would have told you. Images do look very good, but one can easily achieve better results by processing themselves. The more subtle processing of the 10 allows for much more flexible post processing in photoshop/lightroom, etc. Some shots on the S7 are already sharpened and black crushed to the point that details are lost; the S7 takes sharp photos, the 10 takes detailed photos.

I Had a chance to take some nice pics during my holiday to the US. Photos were taken mainly in auto with HDR, edited via photoshop express with some final edits in photoshop CC. All were handheld. I took two of these photos with my Sony a6000, bet you can't tell which ones!

SWdLwVs.jpg

QZ43axF.jpg

D9g47LN.jpg

ZNUod5O.jpg

zzs0Ed7.jpg

mF5pJYz.jpg

7jsyQv4.jpg

t60w0OE.jpg

0RqE7YH.jpg

0aPNUTH.jpg

RbPcuHQ.jpg
    HTC 10 Camera - Astro

so i did something a bit crazy, i went a couple of friend for an Astro night photography, everyone was fully geared with his latest DSLR and tripods, while i had only my HTC 10 without a tripod :) Pro mode, 2 seconds, ISO 3200, it was a bit hard to stabilize of course, but i did land a dozen of usable shots, ofcourse it would have been much better with exposure longer than 2seconds and a tripod but i think this shows off the HW abilities

all of these are handheld, i heavily processed the 12bit DNG in Photoshop CC / 16bit, i was very surprised to find color information in the DNG files as the auto processed JPEG by the camera app were almost monochromatic

press the pics for full size, looks much better in full quality / more color (something to do with chrome processing?)

let me know if you find them too dark so that I brighten them a bit more

Milky Way, it was even visible in the processed JPGs without color

Red Planet, you can see its color on Flickr or in full size

Ursa Major and Minor, the auto JPG version looks like a nice BW effect

Moon Rise, I have other versions where i went with faster shutter for less exposure but i like this one the most

Moon Risen (zoom 1:1 into the moon, checkout the natural glow), ISO100 1/500

Album on Flickr:
    https://flic.kr/s/aHskCikL74

Auto JPG version from the HTC 10 camera app:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzvq9jrczdjr16c/HTC10-Astro-AutoJPEG.rar?dl=0
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone