• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

HTC 10 Stock Oreo 8.0 Bugs & Issues Thread

Search This thread

matekaneve

May 6, 2011
Stirling
Google Pixel 4 XL
Welp.... based on the above I decided to give the update a shot and it just destroyed my battery life. Just last week, with Nougat, the phone was lasting 2-3 days of semi-light usage. I was used to finding the phone all the time holding on to life for quite a while even with 1-3% remaining. Now, it doesn't even last close to a full day with ZERO usage: I charge the phone and turn it on, put it down, and come back ~18 hours later to find it already dead.

I am now trying to run it with wifi disabled (but mobile data still on). So far it seems to be doing much better, at least right now it's only down to 90% after being on (and idle) for almost 7 hours. Obviously not a real solution, but it does show that it seems to be caused by wifi.

I haven't installed any apps, nor rooted or even flashed TWRP since flashing the RUU -- everything is "stock." Speaking of which, did you guys without this problem install the RUU, or the OTA update? I wonder if this could be a problem with the RUU only?

Has anyone successfully downgraded back to Nougat? *I just tried the 2.51.617.32 zip and it says "FAIL12 RU_ZIP_ERROR" :(

See HERE

Reactions: supeRUUser

Ninja X

May 30, 2015
I get 100% CPU on Oreo. Any advice? Greenify, Magisk, Project Zhana Kernel Mod Leedroid 15.2 Stock Kernel. Kernel auditor power save gov

supeRUUser

Dec 7, 2017
Turns out I spoke too soon. Even with Wifi off and minimal use (<30m SOT), the phone barely lasted 18 hours. Today it's already down to 75% after 3.5 hours and only 5m SOT.

Worst update in the history of software! If anyone's on the fence about installing, I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

Ninja X

May 30, 2015
Turns out I spoke too soon. Even with Wifi off and minimal use (<30m SOT), the phone barely lasted 18 hours. Today it's already down to 75% after 3.5 hours and only 5m SOT.

Worst update in the history of software! If anyone's on the fence about installing, I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

What is your idle/no program CPU usage?

Ninja X

May 30, 2015
What is wrong with my phone? 100% when on clash royale

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180506-133634.jpg
    Screenshot_20180506-133634.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 188

Ninja X

May 30, 2015
I couldn't fix it, It's worst also as my battery is already wearing out. now the phone works for 2 hours max reaching in the 60's (rarely below 60%, and only one time it reached 48%) then goes into restart loops which can be only avoided by plugging it.

I'm always carrying a battery pack, thinking about downgrading now, The Oreo update didn't bring anything special over Nougat but bugs (battery, bluetooth & notifications), and it seems HTC forgot the phone.

The only thing stopping me from downgrading is the hustle and I don't have time to do it now.

Install Elemental X and disable touch boost in kernel auditor

Xajel

Mar 2, 2011
Bahrain
I'm thinking of downgrading, but 30usd is pricey.

$30 for what ?

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Install Elemental X and disable touch boost in kernel auditor

Elemental X is a kernel ?

While I'm already OOW, I didn't unlocked my bootloader (it's unlockable, but I didn't do it), only S-Off at the moment.

Does Elemental X completely get rid of the issue or the Nougat is better ?

Ninja X

May 30, 2015
$30 for what ?

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

While I'm already OOW, I didn't unlocked my bootloader (it's unlockable, but I didn't do it), only S-Off at the moment.

Elemental X lets you use the AKT, which helps a ton.

30 use for sunshine

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

$30 for what ?

Elemental X lets you run off touchboost, already noticing the difference. It's about nougat level. The 30 use is for sunshine, I thought about going back 2 nougat.

Xajel

Mar 2, 2011
Bahrain
Elemental X lets you run off touchboost, already noticing the difference. It's about nougat level. The 30 use is for sunshine, I thought about going back 2 nougat.

Yeah I already have Sunshine (I'm already S-Off) so I don't have an issue with that.

So Elemental X is a Kernel, I have to unlock the bootloader to install it and I just flash the kernel ? sorry but I never installed custom kernel in HTC before (I always like stock kernels, used Samsung and Sony before). will I loose SafteyNet with that ?

Ninja X

May 30, 2015
$30 for what ?

Elemental X enables the AKT to work well by enabling you to disable Touchboost

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Yeah I already have Sunshine (I'm already S-Off) so I don't have an issue with that.

So Elemental X is a Kernel, I have to unlock the bootloader to install it and I just flash the kernel ? sorry but I never installed custom kernel in HTC before (I always like stock kernels, used Samsung and Sony before). will I loose SafteyNet with that ?

Uh, I think that if you don't have TWRP then you need to unlock. Go through the HTC devices process or just use the HTC batch tool since you have sunshine. Safetynet is a pass on my HTC.

marto777

Oct 5, 2015
Hello.From yesterday i have a big problem with the battery.The battery drain without even using the phone.On the night it was drained 75%.Before i it was 7-8% but 75 is too much.Im with original firmware last from when it released.Nothing new installed nothing changed.I tried every fix that i saw on this site but dont have improvment.Everything started before 2 days, when i connected the charger i saw notification charging slow but ignore it.From there i tried 3 different chargers (all of the QC 3.0) and 3 different cables, but dont saw this notification again and never again saw fast charging.The phone says for example 20min to full batery, than after 10min when i look onto it again it says 15min to full baterry.
So battery drain is almost same if i use the phone or not.In betterbatterystats i never see Deep Sleep. And dont have Quick charge anymore.My phone is rooted but firmware and kernel are stock.

supeRUUser

Dec 7, 2017
What is your idle/no program CPU usage?

Good question. I haven't rooted since flashing Oreo, in an effort to see the the problems while still "stock." This means no app can collect CPU stats in Oreo, unless I'm mistaken?

I ran 'top' over adb shell, and it's showing mostly idle (~375% out of 400). At the same time, though, the phone is doing much better on battery today than yesterday -- 30% after 27 hours, 26m SOT. That's still not as good as under Nougat, and Wifi is still completely disabled. Still, I'm wondering if I need to give the new system a couple of days to "learn" about the battery, or something?

Ninja X

May 30, 2015
Good question. I haven't rooted since flashing Oreo, in an effort to see the the problems while still "stock." This means no app can collect CPU stats in Oreo, unless I'm mistaken?

I ran 'top' over adb shell, and it's showing mostly idle (~375% out of 400). At the same time, though, the phone is doing much better on battery today than yesterday -- 30% after 27 hours, 26m SOT. That's still not as good as under Nougat, and Wifi is still completely disabled. Still, I'm wondering if I need to give the new system a couple of days to "learn" about the battery, or something?
26m of SoT for 30%! That's terrible.

supeRUUser

Dec 7, 2017
26m of SoT for 30%! That's terrible.

Yes, it sure is. But it's better than the first two days! I didn't change anything except actually installing a couple of apps (Spotify, Google Voice)... so I have no explanation, but curious to see if it continues magically improving. :) I'm still leaning towards downgrading back to Nougat but will give it another day or two.

InvicTech

Nov 5, 2017
Just wanted to share my experience after the Ugrade to Oreo. If encountered the following bugs:

> Bluetooth Media Controls sometimes don't work. Have to turn off BT and back on on HTC to get it working again.

> Screensharing to Chromecast with HTC-Connect doesn't work sometimes. Have to restart the HTC 10 to get it working again.

> And I get random hickups with Hotspot(4G), where I have to disable and re-enable it. USB-Tethering works flawlessly though.

Anybody got the same kinda issues?

supeRUUser

Dec 7, 2017
Yes, it sure is. But it's better than the first two days! I didn't change anything except actually installing a couple of apps (Spotify, Google Voice)... so I have no explanation, but curious to see if it continues magically improving. :) I'm still leaning towards downgrading back to Nougat but will give it another day or two.

Today I have 48% left after 24 hours and 1h38m SOT. Nothing changed. Looks like maybe Oreo is just extremely conservative about the battery level until it collects a few days' worth of stats? Just a guess but it's the only one that makes any sense to me.

I still haven't tried enabling Wifi since the first day so I'll do that now.

Axinex

Oct 6, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Been running stock Oreo the last few weeks and battery life has been completely abysmal, even after resetting my phone. Today, I left for work with the battery at 97%. After 6 hours total and 12 minutes SOT, the battery was down to 12%.
In addition, there is a significant delay when loading the stock Android launcher, either when pressing the home button from an app or unlocking the device using either the fingerprint scanner or my unlock pattern. I've timed that delay at up to a minute, even with Max Performance enabled in the developers options.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because the HTC 10 Updates Thread is getting hard to read and mainly about notifications for Updates i tought i'd create an extra Thread for know Bugs and bug searching.

There are currently two Updates out for Oreo. 3.16.xxx.3 and 3.18.xxx.1 but they're both about the same... or almost.

Known Bugs:
    • WiFi might activate Mobile Data and create huge Batterydrain in Standby (Post Nr4) Doesn't seem to happen frequently, most likely an exception.
    • Notifications are set Globally and not per App (Post Nr2) SOLUTION: Use U11 Settings.APK (You just have to set them correctly...)
    • HTCMode app is running in the Background for 30-120 Seconds after a reboot (HTC Support is useless....)
    • Battery Stats hamburger Menu shows duplications (Post Nr3, Hard to reproduce.)
    • Bluetooth doesn't show Media Info on all devices while music playback. some work, some dont
    • Some people seem to have huge standby drain from uncertain cause. Dialer app?

If you know anything else, report it here and i'll add it.
    Bad Batterylife on WiFi / Activation of Mobile Network while on WiFi

WiFi Standby on 2.4ghz Wlan 2.5%
    WiFi Standby on 5ghz Wlan 0.5%

Something is Off there right?

If you take a look at this graph here:
    BSLe1pL.png

Left side green line WiFi On looses about 0.6%/h with WiFi. Right side with WiFi on is about 2.5%/h and you can see the red "Mobile Radio Active" points a few lines above.
    I'm not entirely sure if it's tied to 2.4ghz and 5ghz WiFi or something else... i'm still investigating.

Edit:
    The Mobile Radio Active during WiFI Bug is NOT related to 2.4ghz WiFi! Or at least not happen every time.
    As you can see in this picture, after 3am - 9 am there was NO mobile activity during WiFi while it was in 2.4ghz WiFi and doze.
    biHQF1m.png
    Not yet. With so many bugs & issues making the phone genuinely a bit s#it now. I can see I'm pretty much being forced down this route in order to solve them.. :( I can;t really see any other option now.

My mums HTC 10, same update - Works perfectly!!

There is a fix, but it may require root and modifying the system partition, maybe not, but haven't tested on a stock rom.

Basically, taking the Settings.apk from the U11 will resolve this and after extensive testing there isn't any differences to be concerned about.

The attached Settings.apk is taken from a dump on the U11 2.33.401.10 UHL (single sim)

This is one of the many fixes in Leedroid thats been there for a while so sorry for the delay, so its simply in there, but you could try replacing /system/priv-app/Settings.apk (CHMOD 644 as well if needed) (it may also be necessary to delete /data/system/package_cache/1/Settings-* if that leads to odd behavior)

Or you might also have luck installing it directly so it exists as an update in /data/app/ - not sure there as I haven't tried it.

It is basically down to fix it, but good luck getting another HTC 10 update, I have been chasing them to acknowledge this bug on Twitter for a month and not had a single reply.

But once correctly updated or in place, the correct notifications selector will pop up and allow you to set different notification tones where available without changing the system default.
    I update my fone last week , not rooted ...just using openvpn connect and of course its drain the battery when i use mobile data ...the problem is after update this " extreme power saving mode " its drain the battery horribly without any explanation , more than 70% and its not happened before

is there any ideas or solutions for this problem ??

I am on Three uk and I resolved this problem by changing the preferred network type from "LTE/UMTS auto (PRL)" to "LTE/WCDMA" using using *#*#4636#*#*

Made a huge difference to the battery drain. I am now back decent battery times and extreme power saving mode does not feature anymore in my battery stats.
    I get double battery life on N compared to P, ATM
    Naptime I use for quick deep doze, seems to be working well

What about 605 firmware and 617 radio? May give good doze + volte.

You mean N vs O? I used Greenify on O, not Naptime but I understand Naptime may be better?

I expect I can probably load N 617 RUU, get good battery & VoLTE, but the 10 should be able to go so much further... now that I've experienced Oreo I don't want to go backwards.

I did 605 FW with 617 radio; 605 by itself only let me connect up to H+ on AT&T, flashing 617 radio unlocked LTE, but not VoLTE. And Doze kicks in very well w/ this combo.

Next I flashed 617 CRadio, Modemst1, Modemst2, Rfg_2, Rfg_3, but VoLTE just won't work.
    I sort of gave up experimenting w/ mix & matching FW bits, for now...

Edit: the battery drain on 617 appears to be due to HTC Weather app. I froze com.htc.weather & com.htc.widget.weatherclock with TB and now my battery is solid in standby - Doze kicks in beautifully.
    Hope this was it, will monitor...

Edit2: that was temporary... Wakelock came back.
    New solution: used Tasker to kill Location w/ screen Off. Seems OK and survives reboot for now.