HTC 10 the bad stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Life Engineer

Jun 14, 2010
Jounieh
I don't have the device but I've read this whole thread!
Judging your comments on smoothness, lags and slow fps; and considering how the snapdragon S7/S7e run and LG G5 runs, I think it's definitely HTC's fault and they probably messed up with CPU/GPU governors/schedulers and other similar stuff in order to achieve better battery life!
It's the same effect you get on any usually smooth phone when you run it on Conservative CPU governor...
I think it will be fixed by a simple kernel!
BUT that's not an excuse or even a solution! Regular users don't know about this and don't even care! They will notice unacceptable lag on a flagship device and simply sell it! Not smart HTC not smart!

richii0207

Nov 3, 2014
plus.google.com
I don't have the device but I've read this whole thread!
Judging your comments on smoothness, lags and slow fps; and considering how the snapdragon S7/S7e run and LG G5 runs, I think it's definitely HTC's fault and they probably messed up with CPU/GPU governors/schedulers and other similar stuff in order to achieve better battery life!
It's the same effect you get on any usually smooth phone when you run it on Conservative CPU governor...
I think it will be fixed by a simple kernel!
BUT that's not an excuse or even a solution! Regular users don't know about this and don't even care! They will notice unacceptable lag on a flagship device and simply sell it! Not smart HTC not smart!
Governor is interactive by default. I have not experienced this lag that a few are experiencing after a week with the 10. My device rips through every task and flies without a single hiccup.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

istrikerx

May 29, 2014
According to reviewers Galaxy S6 and S7 are also stutter-free. Main reason I returned my S7 is because it was so laggy. But I guess most people really don't care. Doing a little search on google I only see people who used a nexus phone complaining about stutters on devices like S6, S7, etc.

Btw I did a little test here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=66729920&postcount=226
The S7 and S7 Edge ARE completely stutter free and smooth... IF you have the exynos variant.

I have zero trust in qualcomm as it stands. People bash Samsung for their skinning and slow updates of android (me included), but lately in 5.0 and 6.0 they seem to have fixed everything that Google hasn't bothered to.

In particular the scrolling speed adjustments have the biggest impact to perceived smoothness of things like UI elements and motion. It's a blatant copy of Apples scrolling algorithm, but it works beautifully.

I've had a chance to compare both, and the speaker has only a slight edge in the 10 compared to my modified s7 edge (surround mod enables top speaker like the 10 for highs, bottom speaker for mods and deep lows with viper tweaks).

The only thing that impressed me was audio output via the headphone jack, but that was simply down to it being stock. I still prefer the custom DAC on the exynos S7, and the surround mod boosts volume output (and power) considerably. Yeah it might fry the chip one day if I forget to turn the gains down, but meh, it's insured and I upgrade every 12 months.

I preferred the camera on the 10 in most situations, but if you ever need a true point and shoot replacement, can't come close to the s7 and it's super quick focus.

Hopefully they release a htc 10 max with qhd amoled and a bigger battery.

duowing

Dec 14, 2010
Cleveland, OH
For any of you who have both the S7/S7E and the 10 I'm curious if anyone can tell me how they compare signal wise. I've seen it mentioned that the M8 seemed really good in terms of cell reception, etc. I've always had Samsung's be the absolute worst when it came to data speeds, cell quality, reception, signal, whatever you want to call it. So I'm curious how the S7/E seems to compare to the 10. As far as I can tell the 10 seems to be as good as my Moto Maxx, but then sometimes it seems to reverse.

omersak

Oct 15, 2010
The S7 and S7 Edge ARE completely stutter free and smooth... IF you have the exynos variant.

I have zero trust in qualcomm as it stands. People bash Samsung for their skinning and slow updates of android (me included), but lately in 5.0 and 6.0 they seem to have fixed everything that Google hasn't bothered to.

In particular the scrolling speed adjustments have the biggest impact to perceived smoothness of things like UI elements and motion. It's a blatant copy of Apples scrolling algorithm, but it works beautifully.

I've had a chance to compare both, and the speaker has only a slight edge in the 10 compared to my modified s7 edge (surround mod enables top speaker like the 10 for highs, bottom speaker for mods and deep lows with viper tweaks).

The only thing that impressed me was audio output via the headphone jack, but that was simply down to it being stock. I still prefer the custom DAC on the exynos S7, and the surround mod boosts volume output (and power) considerably. Yeah it might fry the chip one day if I forget to turn the gains down, but meh, it's insured and I upgrade every 12 months.

I preferred the camera on the 10 in most situations, but if you ever need a true point and shoot replacement, can't come close to the s7 and it's super quick focus.

Hopefully they release a htc 10 max with qhd amoled and a bigger battery.

Completely stutter free and smooth? I disagree man. I have the Exynos S7 Edge currently on the APD1 fw and It's embarrassingly easy to make the S7 lag (seriously, go to the gallery once you've taken more than 300 pics - open a pic and press the back button to go back to the grid - lag city - swipe to the 'my briefing' home page - lag city, do an edge panel swipe after a few hours - lag city, the mail app with an exchange account etc). Don't get me wrong - it's blindingly quick at opening things but it drops A LOT of frames. The iphone 6s (not plus), nexus 6p and nexus 5 (kit-kat) is the closest I've seen to a lag free experience and the S7E doesn't really come close.

Anyway, I was looking at the HTC 10 in hopes that it'd be less laggy than the S7E - and from what you're and many others here who've compared them together are saying, that's not the case at all, which is hugely disappointing given how favorably the S7 Edge fares in other metrics.

Nitemare3219

Nov 24, 2010
Noticed this in the support docs?

Warning: You'll need to input your backup lock screen pattern, PIN, or password if the scanner doesn't identify your fingerprint after five attempts. You'll only have 10 additional attempts before your data is deleted from the HTC 10.

What kinda crap is that. This could easily happen on accident if a child gets ahold of the phone, or an asshole friend.

tbalden

Recognized Developer
Oct 22, 2010
Budapest
www.virtuousrom.com
Noticed this in the support docs?

Warning: You'll need to input your backup lock screen pattern, PIN, or password if the scanner doesn't identify your fingerprint after five attempts. You'll only have 10 additional attempts before your data is deleted from the HTC 10.

What kinda crap is that. This could easily happen on accident if a child gets ahold of the phone, or an asshole friend.
...and what if a hacker gets hold of your corporate data filled phone and has endless number of tries to hack encryption?
Maybe there could be some time interval added between the tries, and each time longer (maybe there's, havent tried), so the owner has time before the child or friend had enough time for formatting data,
but i'd take anytime security over child/friend case. So I'm really glad HTC added extra security for my work phone.
That's just me anyway, casual users would still prefer their data hackable over security.

Nitemare3219

Nov 24, 2010
...and what if a hacker gets hold of your corporate data filled phone and has endless number of tries to hack encryption?
Maybe there could be some time interval added between the tries, and each time longer (maybe there's, havent tried), so the owner has time before the child or friend had enough time for formatting data,
but i'd take anytime security over child/friend case. So I'm really glad HTC added extra security for my work phone.
That's just me anyway, casual users would still prefer their data hackable over security.

You can't fake your way through a finger print scanner. And if the phone is encrypted, they're not going to break through it even if they extract the phone's data.

lagittaja

Jan 3, 2011
Finland
You can't fake your way through a finger print scanner. And if the phone is encrypted, they're not going to break through it even if they extract the phone's data.

Ahem

...and has endless number of tries to hack encryption?

Well maybe saying "hack encryption" isn't entirely accurate but anyway, an endless amount of retries is just silly.

---

That should be a thing. I don't know if it is with the ten but it should be if it's not..

And now that we're talking about that kind of timeout feature, remember that "bug" with Windows Phone 8.1, where the timeout was 6 months?
One guy apparently had his little brother enter the wrong password on his phone too many times > dropped it > battery fell out > put it back in and booted the phone and the time and date had gone back a few months. Then the phone said that he needed to wait 180 days before you can re-enter the password.

patstock11

Jun 22, 2011
No lag here. Thing is a rocket for me. My past phones were previously an s6, m8 (rooted,s-off,super cid, fast ROM), Nexus 5, Nexus 4, OneX..and the Nexus 9 and Nexus 7 12&13...this feels faster than all of them. *shoulder shrug*.....only thing I will say is the s6 had a better camera IMO, and that's a close call....in fact this is the first device I don't feel the need to root ASAP... Reason being there is very little bloat. BasicLly none besides Facebook Instagram crap

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

djbutter

Jan 20, 2011
NYC
For any of you who have both the S7/S7E and the 10 I'm curious if anyone can tell me how they compare signal wise. I've seen it mentioned that the M8 seemed really good in terms of cell reception, etc. I've always had Samsung's be the absolute worst when it came to data speeds, cell quality, reception, signal, whatever you want to call it. So I'm curious how the S7/E seems to compare to the 10. As far as I can tell the 10 seems to be as good as my Moto Maxx, but then sometimes it seems to reverse.

Coming from an S6, there's been a very noticeable difference in cell reception for me on the 10. The S6 was quite good at grabbing a signal. Something is up with the 10 though. It is consistently weaker by at least a bar or two, in the exact same areas I used my S6. I'm wondering if it's due to the metal chassis.

patstock11

Jun 22, 2011
Coming from an S6, there's been a very noticeable difference in cell reception for me on the 10. The S6 was quite good at grabbing a signal. Something is up with the 10 though. It is consistently weaker by at least a bar or two, in the exact same areas I used my S6. I'm wondering if it's due to the metal chassis.

Possibly. But u cNt go by the "bars"... Every OEM uses different values/bars. But u could be right, admittedly I have spent much talk time on the 10

djbutter

Jan 20, 2011
NYC
Possibly. But u cNt go by the "bars"... Every OEM uses different values/bars. But u could be right, admittedly I have spent much talk time on the 10

Possibly, but going by data connection, it's definitely weaker. When I'm sitting at my desk at work, data wasn't a problem. With the 10, I don't even get reception.

I guess it forces me to be more productive!

patstock11

Jun 22, 2011
Possibly, but going by data connection, it's definitely weaker. When I'm sitting at my desk at work, data wasn't a problem. With the 10, I don't even get reception.

I guess it forces me to be more productive!

Well in that case hopefully a radio/update can fix the issue. Anything major I do on wifi so it hasn't been enough to make me regret it

Nitemare3219

Nov 24, 2010

Faking your way through a fingerprint scanner is incredibly easy. To the point that it can done from a high res photo of your hand, like in case of making the fingerprint of Angela Merkel

Okay, I really didn't consider that. But uh, unless they mold your finger or take a high res photo... how would they get past it. Incredibly unrealistic scenario. So is your phone getting hacked. 99.9% of customers need not worry about anything like that.

After so many failed finger attempts, block the scanner for a period of time. After so many failed password attempts, allow one attempt per minute, or something along those lines. Wiping the device is totally unnecessary. And unless it does a true wipe, rewriting the entire phone, the data would still be accessible by someone who was REALLY trying to get it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I never understood comparisons to Samsung devices. They look like great devices but a lot of people don't even consider them an option. I haven't looked at a Samsung since my s3. Reason being how badly they document the kernel sources for the exynos chip, the qualcomm devices are locked down by carriers. They do have fantastic developers that are dedicated to Samsung like ktoonsez and others, to be fair.

This is how it's always been, Samsung has the better package, quite obviously, but with HTC you have the benefit of solid AOSP support. Which is priceless if you ask me. Unless your the person that drops a premium in april, and buys a new Nexus in November but we ain't all that rich lol.

Anyway, this and audio quality are what sell me on HTC.

I know this is 'The bad stuff' but this thread deserves at least a few posts with from people who see it this way. Oh and congrats to the guy that made a pros and cons list that actually started with cons. That's a first for me.
    Thanks @hamdir for giving the thread a more positive balance towards the 10. Even though I am favoring the S7 Edge, I have a feeling I'll be picking up the 10 once it is available through T-Mobile this week. @hamdir, You seem to have a strong loyalty towards the HTC, any particular reason? I usually just go with the brand that seems to offer the best at the time.
    Sure because this thread is just silly like an old seniors house, they think what they are saying is true but the world is probably laughing at them, especially considering the accolades this device is collecting and the praise by non Samsung fond users

Oh and I'm typing this where the weather is humid as hell, the phone didn't leave my hand on H (3g+) connection, I have been feeling it's extra drainy today, my battery is around 37c and I have collected 2.5h SOT with 30 minutes dead effect 2 included still have 50% left, always full auto brightness, so those claims of 2h total SOT are nothing but a joke

I have been around HTC since the classic desire, I love their clean well designed sane UX and supreme build quality, I hate gimmicks, I also took my best photos using HTC devices (yes I like to control my camera)

The s7e screen size, fragility, soapy ergonomics and silly UX design is not my cup of cake, also have my reservations about OLED

The A9 screen was praised because everyone just likes to praise the OLED blacks but it was yellowish with visible pentile grid next to the 10 screen it gets obliterated but hey like I said it's madness around here
    its hilarious watching Samsung fanboys accusing HTC fanboys of being fanboys in their own forums :laugh:

so after flaming us for years for not having the best out of box camera on HTC and whenever we tried to genuinely help by saying cap your bloody ISO, the instant response was but but but it should be perfect point and shoot out of box i cant be bothered to do a simple camera tweak, we say a camera update fix on the way and the response would be no it should be ready on launch

but now all of the sudden its ok to say "we can fix this audio with a mod" and "lets fix that touchwiz with a custom ROM" even though the S7e is running on a nuclear core

oh wait and whats the strongest argument? sales! oh yes kia/huyndai sell the most so this must mean they are the best cars in the world, hold on McDonald is number one fast food so its the best quality healthy food in the world, wait wait one more everyone drinks coke so its surely the most healthy highest quality drink in the world

and the keyword of the day goes to "rebuttals" because if you repeat it enough it will show that you are so smart ;)

fun!
    do you even know what UI stand for?

urinary infection I believe
    Moderator Information,

Thread has been closed at OP's request.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone