HTC 10 updates thread

Search This thread

tsalta

Dec 25, 2008
London
I still wonder HOW ... HTC push so terible Update!?! they have to be ashamed im over 12 years HTC user but this is a Joke for 1st time i see something like this heppans.
And its looking like the things are getting worse thats why next time when im upgrading will consider a different device perhaps.

donkeykong1

Aug 6, 2012
Sesvete, Zagreb
I still wonder HOW ... HTC push so terible Update!?! they have to be ashamed im over 12 years HTC user but this is a Joke for 1st time i see something like this heppans.
And its looking like the things are getting worse thats why next time when im upgrading will consider a different device perhaps.
Excuse my ignorance, but what's wrong with the update?

m1n

Dec 19, 2009

Oreo on 10 works like charm for me, sorry to hear that you have problems.

errikosd

Mar 24, 2014
Oreo on 10 works like charm for me, sorry to hear that you have problems.

+1
That's why I asked what's wrong with the update

Messed-up notifications are the only problem IMO. It's not only that you cannot change the sound per-app, it's also the general behaviour that gives away a very bad implementation.

E.g. the night mode notification triggers a sound out of nowhere, whereas in Nougat it was silent. This is also true for other apps and notifications which did not normally make sounds (e.g. the notification to update Play Services). They all do now. It can be easily changed, but it is a pain to do so for every app.

I don't know if this is a new behaviour of how notifications work, but I would bet it is a mess up by HTC.

donkeykong1

Aug 6, 2012
Sesvete, Zagreb
Messed-up notifications are the only problem IMO. It's not only that you cannot change the sound per-app, it's also the general behaviour that gives away a very bad implementation.

E.g. the night mode notification triggers a sound out of nowhere, whereas in Nougat it was silent. This is also true for other apps and notifications which did not normally make sounds (e.g. the notification to update Play Services). They all do now. It can be easily changed, but it is a pain to do so for every app.

I don't know if this is a new behaviour of how notifications work, but I would bet it is a mess up by HTC.
No, it's Google. Those are Oreo features, nothing to do with HTC

Reactions: simplex19

errikosd

Mar 24, 2014
No, it's Google. Those are Oreo features, nothing to do with HTC

Isn't there a way to make it silent by default (on the programmer side)? If there is (which I think it is true), then HTC should have been more careful before releasing. Anyway, that is minor. Per-app notif. sounds is a decent deal though, let's hope someone from HTC listens (laugh with me). :fingers-crossed:

donkeykong1

Aug 6, 2012
Sesvete, Zagreb
Isn't there a way to make it silent by default (on the programmer side)? If there is (which I think it is true), then HTC should have been more careful before releasing. Anyway, that is minor. Per-app notif. sounds is a decent deal though, let's hope someone from HTC listens (laugh with me). :fingers-crossed:
Per app notification is possible even on stock. I managed to assign my custom sound to Viber. I need to remember how to do it, but it's definetly possible. If you want, I can PM you the procedure when I remember the steps. I know it's simple, just need to fiddle with my phone a bit

avalvidares

Mar 11, 2012
Oviedo
Per app notification is possible even on stock. I managed to assign my custom sound to Viber. I need to remember how to do it, but it's definetly possible. If you want, I can PM you the procedure when I remember the steps. I know it's simple, just need to fiddle with my phone a bit

Are you sure? Have you tried to put a specific sound to GMail without changing the global notification sound? If you know some kind of magic, please put it here. It would be a great help to many of us. ;)

donkeykong1

Aug 6, 2012
Sesvete, Zagreb
Are you sure? Have you tried to put a specific sound to GMail without changing the global notification sound? If you know some kind of magic, please put it here. It would be a great help to many of us. ;)
It's not magic. Here's how I managed to assign my custom sounds
Go to Hangouts/settings/ your account/notifications/messages/sound. Click on "complete action using Media Storage", scroll down to "Add ringtone", and simply add your prefered sound. It will be saved in your system sounds, and you will be able to assign it to any app you want. Don't ask me why Hangouts because I have no idea, but it works like a charm :D

avalvidares

Mar 11, 2012
Oviedo
It's not magic. Here's how I managed to assign my custom sounds
Go to Hangouts/settings/ your account/notifications/messages/sound. Click on "complete action using Media Storage", scroll down to "Add ringtone", and simply add your prefered sound. It will be saved in your system sounds, and you will be able to assign it to any app you want. Don't ask me why Hangouts because I have no idea, but it works like a charm :D

Works like a charm with hangouts, but doesn't work well with other apps. For example: the low battery sound is now the standard notification. Why? Because notifications per-app now do not work well. And so many more examples.

You can only assign different sound in applications that do not use Oreo notification channels, for example Whatsapp or as you say, Hangouts.

It is a problem that appeared in the Google Pixel when they updated to Android 8.0, but that is already resolved. Hopefully HTC will also solve it and not leave us like that. Just one more update, please! :(

Maybe we should make some noise on Twitter. I have put a couple of complaints, but it is not enough.

Rolo42

Aug 4, 2012
Greensboro, NC
zobe1j2rbo6.ting.com
I don't know why so many say this but I can set my sounds just fine. In fact, there's more notification granularity in O.
The Oreo bugs thread talks about this; user error methinks.

The only blunder I can see from htc is with 617 variant, publishing a bad RUU twice and leaving us with NO RUU at all.

Is it weird that only new emoticons were added and didn't replace the old ones, or is that way the update is supposed to work?

8ZlGCGC.jpg

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

satreddy

Mar 2, 2017
I just observed the orange symbol at Security update. Is this normal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180303-194732.png
    Screenshot_20180303-194732.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 590

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now that I have everyones attention...

This thread has turned into a cesspool of nonsense, I own this device and it's getting old having to sift through 80 pages of BS to find what I'm looking for.

This IS the Update thread.. Please stay on topic only make posts relevant to updates.
    This IS NOT the complaint thread...please take those post elsewhere...maybe someone can open a Complaint thread in the General section.
    This IS NOT a Q&A/Help me thread, there is a whole Q&A section for those posts. Also there is an n00b Friendly Ask any question thread for those posts.
    This IS NOT an Off Topic thread, please take those posts elsewhere.

To be respectful to everyone please stay on topic.

From this post on, anything not update related will be removed.

Another option would be to leave this thread for the nonsense and have a new pristine Update thread opened...if we go this route I would like to ask @Kisakuku to undertake this as he/she is on top of all the update that come out almost immediately.

Thanks for understanding and carry on,
    Sloth
    Don't read it then. It's not bothering anyone is it.

Firstly, you're trolling... so your post does not belong here.
    Never getting a HTC ....

Secondly, unless earbuds have started getting OTA updates...your post does not belong here.

Thirdly, not only am I a Moderator but I am a owner/user of the HTC 10 and I know I can't be the only one that's tired of reading through 80 pages of BS just like the stuff you posted, to find something relevant.

Fourthly if you don't have anything relevant to this thread to contribute please move along.
    HTC US Unlocked Oreo RUU 3.16.617.2_R3

U.S. Unlocked HTC 10 Oreo
    3.16.617.2_R3

This is Full signed/Encrypted RUU Zip for 3.16.617.2 Revision 3

Download:
    2PS6IMG_PERFUME_WL_O80_SENSE90GP_VZW_MR_NA_Gen_Unlock_3.16.617.2_R3_Radio_1.0.C010022@60322_CNV_0.77_002_release_520336_combined_signed_2.zip

ENJOY!
    :good:

Lets not discuss the importance of updates here. People who spend over 500€/500$ should not be worried about getting the most essential support by their manufacturer - security patches. Not receiving any updates for over 6 months is just not understandable, when the US customers are receiving them - period! No problem when HTC communicates such problems with their paying customers. But just leaving them with chat-bot answers is not enough. I paid hundreds of € to be in the circle of top tier customers and not to feel like I bought a phone from a noname manufacturer from China.
    And one more question: those people who updated to official oreo have the same fused and production flags. Anyone knows something about that?

This keeps being asked, so I will go ahead and post here more information then you probably want. :p

Fused is simply the new emulated storage handler, instead of Vold/Vfat/Fat32
    Code:
    adb shell
    Code:
    su
    Code:
    df
    As you'll see, Disk Free reveals this "new" entry: (available space will vary per device obviously)

/dev/fuse 192205824 29026176 163179648 16% /storage/0E14-125B

Google decided to use FUSE as a frontend to actual data stored on the non-volatile memory. (initially introduced in Android 4.4/AOSP)
    This kind of partition was needed because of compatibility reasons.
    The applications can store data no matter if it's internal or external flash.
    In case of storing data on external SD cards, system has to deal usually with FAT32 filesystem. FAT32 is quite different than EXT4 used by Android internally.
    For instance, it's not case sensitive and doesn't handle discretionary access control.
    Because of adding more Android specific permissions, Google decided to use FUSE to emulate FAT32.
    FUSE support is enabled in the kernel. Complementarily, there is a userspace daemon called "sdcard".
    On boot, the sdcard daemon mounts a /dev/fuse device to the emulated directory.
    After that, it polls the FUSE device waiting for messages from the kernel.

There is actually a lot happening with this emulation.
    This is because each file operation will now work in a following way:
    • Userspace application issues a system call that will be handled by the FUSE driver in kernel
    • FUSE driver in the kernel notifies the userspace daemon (sdcard) about the new request
    • Userspace daemon reads /dev/fuse
    • Userspace daemon parses command and recognizes file operation (ex. open)
    • Userspace daemon issues system call to the actual filesystem (EXT4)
    • Kernel handles physical data access and sends data back to the userspace
    • Userspace modifies (or not) data and passes it through /dev/fuse to kernel again
    • Kernel completes original system call and moves data to the actual userspace application

So, now seeing Fused in bootloader is completely normal for Oreo on the HTC 10.
    Hope that helps clear that up some. :good: