• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

HTC Desire Wi-Fi Problem

Search This thread

h2o pete

Jun 4, 2010
Had a wi-fi problem on my htc desire for a while now..

One time I went to turn wi-fi on and it just said "Unable to start wi-fi". It had worked totally fine up until that point.

I've tried doing a factory reset, rooted, updated rom but it's still not working.

When the problem happened I had not rooted the phone or changed anything really.. it just happened.

In logcat it says:

flg=0x10200000 cmp=com.android.settings/.wifi.WifiSettings bnds=[124,404][236,531] }
D/SettingsWifiEnabler( 548): Received wifi state changed from Enabling to Unknown
W/SyncAllWidget( 151): activeSynch is null false
I/ActivityManager( 79): Displayed activity com.android.settings/.wifi.WifiSettings: 495 ms (total 495 ms)
I/WifiHW ( 79): wifi_load_driver enter
D/SettingsWifiEnabler( 548): Received wifi state changed from Unknown to Enabling
D/dalvikvm( 1805): GC freed 3806 objects / 257536 bytes in 97ms
D/NetworkLocationProvider( 79): onCellLocationChanged [1363,22890]
I/WifiHW ( 79): wifi_load_driver end error 2
E/WifiService( 79): Failed to load Wi-Fi driver.
D/SettingsWifiEnabler( 548): Received wifi state changed from Enabling to Unknown

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

kiljacken

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Nykøbing Mars
Had a wi-fi problem on my htc desire for a while now..

One time I went to turn wi-fi on and it just said "Unable to start wi-fi". It had worked totally fine up until that point.

I've tried doing a factory reset, rooted, updated rom but it's still not working.

When the problem happened I had not rooted the phone or changed anything really.. it just happened.

In logcat it says:

flg=0x10200000 cmp=com.android.settings/.wifi.WifiSettings bnds=[124,404][236,531] }
W/SyncAllWidget( 151): activeSynch is null false
I/ActivityManager( 79): Displayed activity com.android.settings/.wifi.WifiSettings: 495 ms (total 495 ms)
I/WifiHW ( 79): wifi_load_driver enter
D/SettingsWifiEnabler( 548): Received wifi state changed from Unknown to Enabling
D/dalvikvm( 1805): GC freed 3806 objects / 257536 bytes in 97ms
D/NetworkLocationProvider( 79): onCellLocationChanged [1363,22890]
I/WifiHW ( 79): wifi_load_driver end error 2
E/WifiService( 79): Failed to load Wi-Fi driver.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

I have the same problem on a ROM i have made... That's just for Tattoo not Desire... But it's the same logcat... So can somebody help us??

h2o pete

Jun 4, 2010
Yeah I'm pretty stuck on what to do :/.

Added some information about my software to the first post.

h2o pete

Jun 4, 2010
Fixed it by setting a static IP address.

Wi-Fi > Menu Button > Advanced > Use static IP

blgblade

Jan 16, 2009
i had yesterday the same problem on my desire,
i fixxed this with flash a "older" stock rom and update it with the build-in updater....

gnarlyc

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I've had similar problems in the past, but was unable to solve them. You can check several things though.

1) wlan.ko in /system/lib.modules <-- has to match up with the kernel that you are using
2) any entries for wifi and/or dhcp in the init.rc and init.devicenamehere.rc files that are in the ramdisk in the boot.img
3) wifi settings in the build.prop
4) files in /system/etc/wifi
5) I'm not sure about this one, but even some of the files in /system/etc/firmware might have something to do with wifi.
6) files in /system/etc/dhcpd
7) any files in /system/bin and/or /system/xbin that are called by *.rc from #2.

Just take a working ROM (stock is usually what I use), and compare the files with the corresponding files in your build. I use either WinMerge or N-way Folder Compare or just plain old 'diff' in Linux.

Reactions: [email protected]

DrDee

Jul 14, 2010
Christchurch
I had the same issue.

Flashed a new ROM with full wipe etc. Wifi OK.
Flashed a kernel update on top of the ROM. Wifi broken. Turning wifi on it would error and turn off again.

The only way I could fix it was to flash a full ROM and make sure I wiped everything from the recovery.

Any more info you can provide? Current ROM +version +any other mods applied like status bar or OC kernels?

gnarlyc

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Are you getting the same error in logcat as others have? If so, I think .mak fixed it, but he never let us know how.

mightymouseguy

Aug 31, 2010
Same Issues...

Ive tried Reverting to CM 5.07, 5.07 and now the beta 6.0 and all have yet to fix the wifi issue. I also tried switching between the radio's and doing a full format/partition and wipe. Any fix to this yet?
:confused:

mukeshmaddyy

Sep 11, 2010
That was Lovely Bro...Really Useful...I got my DESIRE today and could connect to WIFI but was unable to browse...This tip helped me...Thx a lot... Keep up the good work.. :)

dleonard

Sep 19, 2010
Trying to replace bcm4329.ko

I did the OTA update for my Desire today, and of course have the wi-fi problem.

However, when I enable wi-fi, I see the following appear at the end of dmesg:
Code:
<3>[ 8197.511535] bcm4329: version magic '2.6.32.15-g6a358a9 preempt mod_unload 
ARMv7 ' should be '2.6.32.15-gf9c0527 preempt mod_unload ARMv7 '

The update zip (via thread 778852) contains a bsdiff patch file patch/system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko.p... and from some examination of that file it appears just to patch the vermagic field of the .ko file.

I tried to use a hex editor to 'fix' bcm4329 and used adb pull/push to replace it, but I get
Code:
failed to copy 'bcm4329.ko.fix' to '/system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko': Read-only
file system

Can anyone help me with this?

Update: I am a fool. I was using the wrong goldcard! Once I put the right goldcard in, then sdcard:update.zip applied correctly and wi-fi started working again.

Last edited:

mixutuomi

Nov 19, 2010
@dleonard, could you please make step by step instructions of how to fix this wifi issue?

thanks

Mixu

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've had similar problems in the past, but was unable to solve them. You can check several things though.

1) wlan.ko in /system/lib.modules <-- has to match up with the kernel that you are using
    2) any entries for wifi and/or dhcp in the init.rc and init.devicenamehere.rc files that are in the ramdisk in the boot.img
    3) wifi settings in the build.prop
    4) files in /system/etc/wifi
    5) I'm not sure about this one, but even some of the files in /system/etc/firmware might have something to do with wifi.
    6) files in /system/etc/dhcpd
    7) any files in /system/bin and/or /system/xbin that are called by *.rc from #2.

Just take a working ROM (stock is usually what I use), and compare the files with the corresponding files in your build. I use either WinMerge or N-way Folder Compare or just plain old 'diff' in Linux.
    Hey buddies ! :eek:
    I have the same issue and i don't know how to fix it.

My configuration :
    Htc Desire : AMOLED
    S-OFF
    HBOOT : 6.97.1002
    Table : CM7r2
    Radio : 32.56.00.32U_5.17.05.23
    Kernel : 2.6.35.14-snq-111011
    Build : 3.14.405.1
    Rom : Revolution v1.5 Data++

I can see wifi signal clearly and powerfully but it seems that packages wont arrive to my phone. Tried with router and a desire-hd-hotspot.
    If i go on a webpage is like i am not connected (same for meteo update or any internet stuff) - but good signal and "connected" in any case
    Some suggestions ?

I have putted in an output filetext the result of dmesg to see what's wrong with WLAN

I hope it will help to figure out what's happening :eek::confused::(
    Maybe kernel is not working correctly ?

Please try WIFI-n
    Or try Another kernel. Maybe its a kernel problem because i cant see the problem in my rom files.