• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

HTC Dream/G1 Dual/Tri Boot

Search This thread

chillbeast

Apr 4, 2008
Hey guys, haven't had any time to mess around with this since the other day, but I'm hoping to delve into it again this weekend.

I WAS able to get openmoko dual booting, problem is, you can't do much with it. So my next mission is to get Debian dual booting.

Gerdal

Sep 30, 2007
xirit.pl
please if anyone has heard anything post it here cus this thread seems to be dying and it is very important

For me, it is also important. I would like to use a real GCC, MC, MPlayer and other programs that are missing in Android ... If you would be done so that the native debian could be phone calls, send text messages, etc., that would be cool:) I tried to use the OpenMoko, but unfortunately I could not get along with him. In the settings I could not change any of the options and backlight has turned off too fast...

olvap377

Oct 16, 2008
Toronto
For me, it is also important. I would like to use a real GCC, MC, MPlayer and other programs that are missing in Android ... If you would be done so that the native debian could be phone calls, send text messages, etc., that would be cool:) I tried to use the OpenMoko, but unfortunately I could not get along with him. In the settings I could not change any of the options and backlight has turned off too fast...

i wish you luck

Mar 31, 2008
Just chiming in here. (1st post in this forum I think).

Just got a g1 last week, and finally had some free time this weekend to try this.

The instructions from the first page worked straight-forward to INSTALL openmoko, but setting it up is proving a bit more difficult.

Here's my quick impression after just installing a few minutes ago:

- Boot into Illume/E17

- not as promising as I was hoping, but still very cool
that it runs at all.

- some fonts are too small, others are too big

- hardware screen resolution seems to be too small for
this setup

- No GSM connection off the bat

- this might be possible to setup under "settings"
menu, but I haven't tried this yet.

- for now, this means no calls, sms, or web

- keys are not mapped properly:

- notably the "b", "n" keys

- (which makes it difficult to type "reboot")

- trackball doesn't seem to do anything.

- send, home, back menu, end keys all seem to do nothing.

- screen cannot rotate

- tried using "xrandr" in terminal, but "n" key is
not mapped

- "sketch" program seems to have a hard time recognizing
when the finger is lifted.

- there is no software keyboard

- how do you reboot? (besides taking out battery)

- "camera" hardware button opens a menu that has an option to suspend or shutdown and rebooting into android works pretty well.

- this is promising. Needs some work, but definitely a step
in the right direction. Could even be a poor man's
FreeRunner

Thanks for starting this thread guys. Let's keep it alive.

Mar 31, 2008
have u tried turning ur openmoko into debian?

I have not done this yet, but I would also love to hear some impressions of someone who has. I initially thought that openmoko was based on debian just like ubuntu et. al.. but at a second glance, openmoko uses "opkg" instead of "dpkg".

Where is a good debian rootfs to start with?

The trouble with vaskus's openmoko setup is that it boots into Xorg right away, and it seems impossible to use the terminal with the keymap messed up. Is this mapping set via "xmodmap"? or "loadkeys"?

Should be a simple matter of searching through the init scripts to resolve this?

I would prefer to boot into console mode and run Xorg later from a terminal, but it seems that the init scripts will have to be modified outside of the phone for this to happen?

donepate

Oct 30, 2007
OK. Another one onboard. I would love to see this happen. Just for the hell of it. Sadly, I suck at this kind of stuff though. I can test though.

Mar 31, 2008
still going slow here too. Too much "real" work lately. It seems that "FukTheRegister" had gotten his native debian to make calls and text messages in the old thread (Installing Debian on the G1 -> post #323) (which xda won't let me post due to my "junior" status).

I like the idea of using my debian chroot with an option to boot and then be able to chroot into android (and vice versa)... it just seems to be a (fairly) simple (yet time consuming) matter of setting the Debian chroot to work with the openmoko kernel, and getting the Debian init scripts right?

I think "FukTheRegister" took his init scripts from the Ubuntu-arm-port?

BTW, I'm currently using a modified debian rootfs from Cloverdale's tutorial on chrooting into Debian (which again xda won't let me post).

I'm running the debian chroot in the 1.10 superD android-rom with the DangerSPL.

After some experiments, I concluded that I needed the DangerSPL to get Vaskas's recovery image to boot openmoko... but I didn't really care for my brief experience with a native openmoko/E17 on the G1... I wanna be able to make/receive calls from the commandline, and the default openmoko setup didn't let me do that.

..so I mounted debian on android as a separate sdcard partition (/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 -> /system/sd/debian/debian/) where I originally stored the rootfs from vaskas's openmoko setup (posted on the first page of this thread) with hopes to be able to boot debian natively soon... but haven't had the time to put things in place yet, and meanwhile I'm sick of having to ssh or vnc into debian.

Would be really nice if someone who's done this already would make it easier on us poor folks struggling through it... (*hint*) (*hint*)

Last edited:

olvap377

Oct 16, 2008
Toronto
if u want you can send me the links and ill post all

p.s so if ****TheRegister got it working is there atut for it?

p.s.s i think what your doing is even better than what was available before

kudos to u