HTC First Discontinued

Search This thread

flatline403

Sep 10, 2010
According to BGR, the First is about to be discontinued: http://bgr.com/2013/05/13/htc-first-discontinued-att-facebook-phone/

I love the First, it's a great size that can be used one-handed, it has stock Android, and the battery life is amazing. But I've held off buying one because I want to make sure it gets CyanogenMod support first. If it does get official CM support, I'll go out of my way to get one, if I still can.

Does anybody know how long it will take HTC to release the source for the First, so CM support might start?

The only competitor to the First on AT&T is probably the One Mini, but rumors are that the Mini will have a significantly smaller battery than the First (1700 instead of 2000mah).

Reactions: hdelvalle009

shook187

Oct 1, 2010
Haverhill MA
I might pick up one of these in the bargain bin if I find a good deal somewhere. I'm looking to open a second line for my daughter,without a contract and this one will fit the bill.

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

SquidLord

May 6, 2011
That's disappointing. Now I question whether it would be a good idea to give my mom this phone.

On the other hand, there is a update with this statement from AT&T in the article:
As mentioned previously, we do pricing promotions all the time and have made no decisions on future plans.
Though, I don't have huge hopes.

Dnst

Nov 23, 2008
This is one of the best phones I have seen for years. I dont understand why so few people bought it, it even has stock android... It should be easier to develop a working cm for this one than for all these galaxies out there. I would even get over the small storage for all the advantages.

Reactions: PdtS

nuclear_eclipse

May 8, 2010
$150 where? Cheapest I could find was 300 new. Well I have mine and cm is mostly booting. Hope to have it sorted out in the next day or so

Sent from my M7 using xda premium

I've been trying to figure out how to compile CM as well, do you have any repositories I could look at yet, or is it all still just on your local checkout? I'm not having as much luck, but I've never built CM for anything beyond my Galaxy Nexus before, so I'm not familiar with porting it to new devices.

jmz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I've been trying to figure out how to compile CM as well, do you have any repositories I could look at yet, or is it all still just on your local checkout? I'm not having as much luck, but I've never built CM for anything beyond my Galaxy Nexus before, so I'm not familiar with porting it to new devices.

Yeah it's on my github. Same username as here. I would suggest against flashing it though. I barely trust it right now

Sent from my M7 using xda premium

Daman09

Apr 24, 2012
According to BGR, the First is about to be discontinued: http://bgr.com/2013/05/13/htc-first-discontinued-att-facebook-phone/

I love the First, it's a great size that can be used one-handed, it has stock Android, and the battery life is amazing. But I've held off buying one because I want to make sure it gets CyanogenMod support first. If it does get official CM support, I'll go out of my way to get one, if I still can.

Does anybody know how long it will take HTC to release the source for the First, so CM support might start?

The only competitor to the First on AT&T is probably the One Mini, but rumors are that the Mini will have a significantly smaller battery than the First (1700 instead of 2000mah).

This is sad to hear. I just got one for my grandmother too. While 4.1 is nice, the polish of 4.2 vastly improves the experience with things like a timer, stop watch, and swype keyboard. Sadly, I don'y see 4.2 coming official to this device.

megamaster2

Nov 17, 2012
I might pick this up soon since it's so cheap now. Will this get 4.2 at least? Hope so. Seems like a good purchase. What color did you guys get it in? :)

jojones88

Jun 9, 2012
very sad to hear indeed. its a terrific phone. the size is great, love the way the back feels, and the battery life is terrific imo. it feels very sturdy too. as soon as my store got a bunch of dummy units in i knew i was going to like it. im carrying around the company's seed unit and im very impressed (black model... gosh i love the look of that red and baby blue though). would love cm10.1 on this machine.

killall-q

Mar 1, 2011
killall-q.deviantart.com
Here's another vote of confidence for this outcast phone. Really love the design. Who cares what software it's running, we'll flash our own anyway. I've been waiting so long for an upgrade from my HTC Aria, which I got specifically because it was small.

HTC has got to do something with all its unused stock, if they're smart they'll simply remove FB Home and push it back out, if they're dumb we should see these babies go for nothing like the HP TouchPad. Either way this phone has a lot of potential to sell like hotcakes.

dabuddha

Sep 22, 2010
Atlanta
Broke my HTC One X screen and got an HTC First for $50 brand new. Agree with all the other positive comments about this phone so far. Rooted. unlocked bootloader, freeze Facebook Home and loving every bit of it so far. My only gripe is the weak camera, but to find solid specs on a smaller form factor is so hard these days.

Top Liked Posts