Search This thread

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
About HTC ditching the One X OS updates after 4.2.2 (maintenance updates will continue) as it crossed 18 months of life

I think this is really unfair, it's Google who have set the 18 months rule, in fact they just implemented this rule over their own Galaxy Nexus which did not receive the KK update (a device just a few months older than the One X)

As for comparisons with Samsung updating ancient devices, we all know this is non sense, Samsung often updates the background OS without any changes or even fixes to the UI, in fact many times they leave issues open and it's simply a regression, examples are the SGS4 messy 4.3 update and the SGS3 JB update which completely neglected to implement project butter

Compare that to the life time of the One X software update, which at one point was receiving maintenance updates every 2 weeks, by sw 3.x HTC completely reinvented the device and brought it to it's full potential, a stuttery Sense 4 jumped to the 60fps smooth Sense 4+ UI

The One X was also HTC's first ever device to reach a 4th gen of Software upates ie: firmware 4.18.x.x

It brought the device to Sense 5.0 with most of the M7 main selling features (blinkfeed, zoe readability and video highlights, as well as massive camera app improvements) this gave the One X a three generations of UI complete overhauls, Sense 4 > Sense 4+ > Sense 5

I am yet to see such passion from Samsung for any device

as for Apple? well we know the drill by now, the last device to ever receive an iOS update will often get killed by that update forcing you to upgrade, this is an unacceptable intentional disservice from Apple

examples: the iPhone 3Gs iOS 6 update and the iPhone 4 iOS 7 update, both destroyed performance on these devices, making them a shore to use

Not forgetting that iOS devices usually receive major updates or software additions on yearly basis, unlike HTC which been optimizing the One X and One 2013 series software and UI to high heaven in less than One year, most of the time adding significant additions, fixes and changes, its like a compressed three years of iOS firmware improvements

As for HTC of today, they have reached the 4th gen of HTC One updates in just 8 months, with 10 months left ahead (JB 4.1.2 / Sense 5 > JB 4.2.2 / Sense 5.0 > JB 4.3 / Sense 5.0 / Sense 5.5 > KK 4.4 / Sense 5.5)

or do you prefer to go back to the HTC Diamond days? :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: joewong1991

Actura

Dec 30, 2010
Bogor
Realme 9 5G SE
OnePlus Nord CE 3
are you aware that google stopped updating the Galaxy nexus now that it crossed the 18 months? the galaxy nexus is almost as old as the One X (just few months earlier) and IT IS NOT RECEIVING Kitkat

you have said that before maybe in the flagship thread, but my reasons is not only the official support but also the development support
and the chipset inside galaxy nexus maybe have some problem without the official support from the chipset maker just like htc one s with s3 inside that htc can't support its update any further
as for the htc right now, i think it is too early to say the support is very good, let's wait for the next flagship and see

About HTC ditching the One X OS updates after 4.2.2 (maintenance updates will continue) as it crossed 18 months of life

I think this is really unfair, it's Google who have set the 18 months rule, in fact they just implemented this rule over their own Galaxy Nexus which did not receive the KK update (a device just a few months older than the One X)

As for comparisons with Samsung updating ancient devices, we all know this is non sense, Samsung often updates the background OS without any changes or even fixes to the UI, in fact many times they leave issues open and it's simply a regression, examples are the SGS4 messy 4.3 update and the SGS3 JB update which completely neglected to implement project butter

Compare that to the life time of the One X software update, which at one point was receiving maintenance updates every 2 weeks, by sw 3.x HTC completely reinvented the device and brought it to it's full potential, a stuttery Sense 4 jumped to the 60fps smooth Sense 4+ UI

The One X was also HTC's first ever device to reach a 4th gen of Software upates ie: firmware 4.18.x.x

It brought the device to Sense 5.0 with most of the M7 main selling features (blinkfeed, zoe readability and video highlights, as well as massive camera app improvements) this gave the One X a three generations of UI complete overhauls, Sense 4 > Sense 4+ > Sense 5

I am yet to see such passion from Samsung for any device

as for Apple? well we know the drill by now, the last device to ever receive an iOS update will often get killed by that update forcing you to upgrade, this is an unacceptable intentional disservice from Apple

examples: the iPhone 3Gs iOS 6 update and the iPhone 4 iOS 7 update, both destroyed performance on these devices, making them a shore to use

Not forgetting that iOS devices usually receive major updates or software additions on yearly basis, unlike HTC which been optimizing the One X and One 2013 series software and UI to high heaven in less than One year, most of the time adding significant additions, fixes and changes, its like a compressed three years of iOS firmware improvements

As for HTC of today, they have reached the 4th gen of HTC One updates in just 8 months, with 10 months left ahead (JB 4.1.2 / Sense 5 > JB 4.2.2 / Sense 5.0 > JB 4.3 / Sense 5.0 / Sense 5.5 > KK 4.4 / Sense 5.5)

or do you prefer to go back to the HTC Diamond days? :laugh:

i have seen this post before also
still this is not about how big the update is, sometimes we want the real support for the flagship for the price we pay. Not all people could afford a new phone every year you know

Last edited:

parkentosh

Feb 18, 2012
Tartu
They release kernel source for devices which haven't launched (Z, Zr, Z Ultra and Z1 before their launch), they actively contribute to AOSP (their code is actually usable and thus AOSP builds are always close to useable even in Alpha or Beta), they don't have any stupid security flags like S-OFF, Flash counter or Knox which make it hard or troublesome for us to modify our devices and they even provide the tools needed to unbrick their devices in case something goes wrong. Plus, their update tool is the best out of all I've used so far (RUU is utter crap and Kies is just rubbish). Now all they need to do is to follow Motorola in allowing unlocked devices to receive full warranty support and I will crown them the MOST dev friendly OEM out there.

I've noticed this also. My next device will be a Sony. Not only are the community development friendly but their phones are waterproof as well.

parkentosh

Feb 18, 2012
Tartu
enjoy the huge bezel, bad view angles and sound then :)

anyway careful guys this is arriving at OT threshold ;)

Sorry about OT.

But on topic.. Since the Tegra 3 is still maintained by nvidia (even has a 3.4 reference kernel) there may be some small chance of kitkat from HTC (with maybe 3.4 kernel - but still unlikely).

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Sorry about OT.

But on topic.. Since the Tegra 3 is still maintained by nvidia (even has a 3.4 reference kernel) there may be some small chance of kitkat from HTC (with maybe 3.4 kernel - but still unlikely).

yes there is HTC's Jeff Gordon already answered on twitter that no one announced the support for the One X has ended, it's actually Football who leaked that news

anyway the current HTC One situation, it received KK with Sense 5.5 only for the US Dev and unlocked editions, meanwhile the European is already enjoying Sense 5.5 with 4.3, with kk slated for January

I think once the new HTC One is announced in February we will know which devices will get Sense 6 (the HTC One series ofcourse) and so we know what happens to the older flagship

Last edited:

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
as for the htc right now, i think it is too early to say the support is very good, let's wait for the next flagship and see

I don't agree, the support so far almost matches Nexus devices

and then we have the new HTC One to be announced in February with Sense 6 / KK, the One / Mini / Max will surely received Sense 6 a little further (most likely Sense 6 will arrive with a newer Android, like what happened with the One X Sense 5 Android 4.2.2 combo)

if it ends there, i can tell you from now i will still be happy

like i said it's condensed updates / evolving cycle, that's in my opinion a lot more useful than others

ask @Shan89 who would happily go back to the 4.2.2 update on the One, or everyone in the mega discussion thread complaining about the dreadful wakelocks from Google services in KK

There is nothing special from KK except deeper and more power hungry google locations integration and yet everyone nags for an elusive / minor OS update

Last edited:

Actura

Dec 30, 2010
Bogor
Realme 9 5G SE
OnePlus Nord CE 3
I don't agree, the support so far almost matches Nexus devices

and then we have the new HTC One to be announced in February with Sense 6 / KK, the One / Mini / Max will surely received Sense 6 a little further (most likely Sense 6 will arrive with a newer Android, like what happened with the One X Sense 5 Android 4.2.2 combo)

if it ends there, i can tell you from now i will still be happy

like i said it's condensed updates / evolving cycle, that's in my opinion a lot more useful than others

ask @Shan89 who would happily go back to the 4.2.2 update on the One, or everyone in the mega discussion thread complaining about the dreadful wakelocks from Google services in KK

There is nothing special from KK except deeper and more power hungry google locations integration and yet everyone nags for an elusive / minor OS update

let's wait and i know you're happy right now but people can change you know
so i am saying htc is good, just how long is the good support gonna be ? that's what i want to know, if it realy changes then probably i will jump to next htc flagship.

to release the kernel source, htc still takes so much time to release, htc one is just the lucky one because it has google edition.
well even after saying that, i still like the htc flagship aside from heavy price drops, build quality issues and bad service center (in my country)

anyway i have 1 question to the one x users, can you hear a small voice coming from the phone every closing camera app ?
it is a very small voice in the back of the phone, in my case i can only hear it sometimes inside my room when it is quiet.

Last edited:

steve1996

May 2, 2012
canterbury
HTC One X
HTC One X+
so i am saying htc is good, just how long is the good support gonna be ? that's what i want to know, if it realy changes then probably i will jump to next htc flagship.

to release the kernel source, htc still takes so much time to release, htc one is just the lucky one because it has google edition.
well even after saying that, i still like the htc flagship aside from heavy price drops, build quality issues and bad service center (in my country)

anyway i have 1 question to the one x users, can you hear a small voice coming from the phone every closing camera app ?
it is a very small voice in the back of the phone, in my case i can only hear it sometimes inside my room when it is quiet.

That's the sound of camera lens shutting I guess

Sent from my Nexus 7 MK.2

Reactions: Actura

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21

the camera noise is normal

the late kernel source release is the only issue to be honest and yes it's an issue

yes its true that the GE kernel source can save us, but not often its compatible, during 4.3 it was broken, but with the latest KK update, it seems HTC went through the effort to insure compatibility between the GE and Sense kernels

Actura

Dec 30, 2010
Bogor
Realme 9 5G SE
OnePlus Nord CE 3
That's the sound of camera lens shutting I guess

Sent from my Nexus 7 MK.2

the camera noise is normal

the late kernel source release is the only issue to be honest and yes it's an issue

yes its true that the GE kernel source can save us, but not often its compatible, during 4.3 it was broken, but with the latest KK update, it seems HTC went through the effort to insure compatibility between the GE and Sense kernels

good then, i thought it was sign of camera wearing out
thank you for the answer guys

even sometimes incompatible, that's better than nothing, right ? :D

oh yeah about the problem that you tell about google integration before, it was there since 4.2.2. i got that kind of wakelock also sometimes, mostly from google services
and if you comparing by the decreasing battery life rate, then it was started started since 4.1.1
that's when the battery life started to decrease (on htc one x) if compared to ics and there is one time when i am looking for wakelock, and mostly is nlp something that is probably from google
google now is always disabled, only location services is enabled.

DeeZZ_NuuZZ

May 16, 2012
Hanover
HTC 10
Google Pixel 3 XL
Hey guys,just one question what has this guy done that he achieved S-OFF and supercid :confused:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJuUe0Pqr7I ?

edit: i have already find out http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f35/worlds-first-htc-s-off-card-1599539/ damn its expensive :(

We will get s-off soon for free...but I takes a lil while to get full s-off only radio s-off for now...they are trying to get hboot s-off which we need

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk

Shan89

Oct 23, 2012
Tbh, only Sony is showing any love for the dev community

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

They release kernel source for devices which haven't launched (Z, Zr, Z Ultra and Z1 before their launch), they actively contribute to AOSP (their code is actually usable and thus AOSP builds are always close to useable even in Alpha or Beta), they don't have any stupid security flags like S-OFF, Flash counter or Knox which make it hard or troublesome for us to modify our devices and they even provide the tools needed to unbrick their devices in case something goes wrong. Plus, their update tool is the best out of all I've used so far (RUU is utter crap and Kies is just rubbish). Now all they need to do is to follow Motorola in allowing unlocked devices to receive full warranty support and I will crown them the MOST dev friendly OEM out there.

Lol are you sure you know what you're saying ?

Yes they release faster sources , but on which software are they ? Z1 still on 4.2.2 , zl / Xz so far got updated , but before this all of these devices had major issues and some still do ( camera , battery , software pointing at Xz ) , some will say aosp , what's the point of aosp when you MUST unlock boot loader which will lead into losing camera / bravia / xreality , on htc you lose nothing , at least not on htc one.

Sony is no match for htc with software nor Samsung , especially about the quality of software + speed and lastly , would it matter even if Sony were the first to push otas etc when there are no DEVS. M7 at&t has more devs then international zl / z1 / zu / Xz combined , imagine how much more international m7 has ;)

No offense but it's stupid to even compare Sony to htc , even so called " best android camera and 7 newer phone z1 got destroyed by my 4mp camera "

Here the test HTC one vs z1
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2542663

Imo software on Sony devices is utter **** and to plain , it doesn't offer anything specific really and that what it offers in most cases doesn't work as intended.

Then you wait for month's for Sony to fix the **** and by the time they do another flagship gets out lol.

+ Sony should be the fastest with the updates , their software is very much stock alike while sense is literally completely different. But no they are the slowest.

Most of you forget about htc one sources ( I agree they're slow btw ) but we had 4.3 2 months before it got out officially, we had no right to complain when it wasn't out officially , after it got out we got kernel source after 2 weeks and 2 weeks later dev edition got 4.4 kitkat , so kind of still not officially out until 401 gets it , besides gpe already has officially 4.4.2 + kernel source , both got released the same day.

As for what @hamdir said I agree kitkat hasn't really brought anything new nor better it's basically wakelock city, I mean yes it's tiny bit faster and battery is kind of better but gaming is destroyed completely same with deep sleep , it was better before , tho if we disable Google **** deep sleep is good , luckily we have custom kernels for gaming :sly:.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Shan89

Oct 23, 2012
I'm not talking about software updates. I'm talking about dev support and believe me when I say its nicer to dev on Sony phones compared to HTC or other phones, esp. Samsung. I'm talking about kernel and other proprietary code that they contribute actively towards AOSP. They released kernel sources for devices which have yet to launch which really kick started development for their devices. HTC takes donkeys ears to upload simple sources for a device they don't intend on updating anymore. I have a HOX while my sister has an Xperia S and my mom has an Xperia Z1 so I know what I'm talking about. I've compiled a few ROMs and kernels for these devices and its a breeze. I agree, they only have their update plan to improve but that's about it. I'm not comparing devices like you and hamdir assume. If it were device only, I would choose HTC because they really know how to build a phone. What I said in my very first post was love towards the dev community. Sony has that in spades, followed by Motorola.

I didn't say I disagree with you about their aosp support , all I did is showing a bigger picture.

Wouldn't you agree it's useless to have this kind of support if on bare start you know the device won't have the devs for it + you lose some vital features like bravia which really means a lot to Xz screen since its utter **** , same with z1 regarding xreality + camera for which device was hyped for but didn't deliver.

Actura

Dec 30, 2010
Bogor
Realme 9 5G SE
OnePlus Nord CE 3
What do you mean no devs from the start ? The FXP and many others are always there when a new xperia launches. Same thing happens to any phone, like Samsung's air gestures and the one's "ultrapixel" cam (which was also over hyped but didn't deliver). Porting features like the bravia engine and xloud is easy, even on 3rd party ROMs. Even non xperia phones are using it. I'm talking from a developer's perspective, not a power user. HTC and everyone else have to step up their game if they want to earn the "devs best friend" status like Sony has and Motorola is. Everyone else just seems like they want to stand on Android/Google's shoulders to achieve success without giving anything back. I'm not saying they MUST do it. But in order to win back some fans who have lost hope in HTC or Samsung, they really should make an attempt. Releasing sources is compulsory, so that alone is not enough. Sony has gone the extra mile. That's why I praise them. I would still avoid getting a Sony device because of the crappy screen and speakers, but they have more respect from me than any other OEM

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Oh, and don't get me wrong. I love my HOX to bits and I agree the One is the best android phone of 2013, so there's no hate from me on HTC devices

well said bro :good:
it's not like we are saying that because we hate HTC, we love HTC and we love our HOX :laugh:
anyway i think Sony is gathering even more developer on XDA because the recent action that seems support to developer community like xda, so it is not only FXP team that is working on custom rom for Sony's devices

Reactions: RohinZaraki

high_voltage

Jun 7, 2011
Lol are you sure you know what you're saying ?

Yes they release faster sources...

And don't forget sense is like made to last and doesn't get old/obsolete. Like, seriously when I take my desire HD with even the oldest sense 2.1 I feel good about it. I like the interface and I can do sh*tload of cool things that android 2.X can't do at all! It's cool, smooth and does the job and that's after so many years! Yeah.

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
some answers from Football
Dj Fox™ ‏@djfox86 17 Dec
@LlabTooFeR why htc desire 601 receive 4.4 and htc one x+ no? wtf are you doing .. the HOX+ is a more powerful phone than Desire 601..

@djfox86 Just because Desire devices is newer than hox/hox+ and maintaining Tegra device is harder than Qualcomm...
Hide conversation

Actura

Dec 30, 2010
Bogor
Realme 9 5G SE
OnePlus Nord CE 3
some answers from Football

well at least it tells us that we must be careful for the next tegra chipset based smartphone ;)
but this doesn't mean this only applies to tegra's smartphone, the snapdragon is also gonna be left by htc(if you choose htc) and you will need to keep asking htc for update just maybe like htc desire (the worst possible chance)
choosing snapdragon based on is the most insuring one, as for official update and also the development:cowboy:

i bought htc one x just because of the htc sense and the phone design is good for me so this is not really a big problem, and the development at least i can get some custom rom that enhance htc one x functionality :good:

And don't forget sense is like made to last and doesn't get old/obsolete. Like, seriously when I take my desire HD with even the oldest sense 2.1 I feel good about it. I like the interface and I can do sh*tload of cool things that android 2.X can't do at all! It's cool, smooth and does the job and that's after so many years! Yeah.

in my opinion, that time htc sense is the only one that doesn't really loaded by gimmicks software
all the feature is really the future of android
hoping the next one is really gonna add some usefull features

nowadays custom ui, yeah sure it have tons of good features but still something doesn't feel right...like you just can't really use it in daily life...even without that you can still use the 'traditional' feature that just works and not just a showoff
as for htc sense i am happy for the change into sense 5, ui is clean while the feature is not much different for me (htc one x) :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    8505895653_3d99933dc2.jpg

8505933877_85f91cef6a_z.jpg

Official HTC One X Website>>

[GUIDE+TOOLS] How To Easily Maximize One X Tegra 3 Game performance - root>> Gameplay videos here>>

How To reduce your OS resolution in order to boost GPU / gaming performance>>

Kernel source for Sense 5 JB 4.18.x.x ROMS is out>>

Download pure stock and odexed 4.18.401.2 ROM>>

HTC One X Sense 5 and Android 4.2.2 update is pushing as firmware 4.18.401.2 (and One X+ as 2.18.401.2) + changelog>>

HTC One X: Hidden Low Light Abilities>>

Contemporary Jelly Bean, SGS3 vs One X comparison, stock and modded>>

Nvidia updates Tegra Roadmap, Tegra 5 and 6 revealed>>

HTC 2012 flagships will be uprgaded to Android 4.2.2>>

New HTC One X update 3.18.401.1, no hboot change, minor kernel upgrade>>

HTC Confirms HTC One X/X+/S Sense 5.0 upgrade>>

Tegra 4/Tegra 4i Architecture indepth, T4 GPU beats the iPad4>>

HTC One 2013 - Snapdragon 600 - Mega Information Thread>>

Nvidia announces Tegra 4i for smartphones for release end of 2013>>

Tegra 4 is facing silicon delays issue, it will lag behind competition>> and here>>

Android 2013 GPU predictions >>

Anticipated performance of the 544MP3 GPU inside the Exynos 5 Octa>>

Tegra 4 GPU details, massive ALU increase, should beat the iPad4>> predictions>>

More analysis about Tegra 4 GPU, GT200 architecture might be in use>>

USB charge overheat warning for HTC ONE X JB OTA, HTC drivers must be updated>>

Stock HTC JB Kernel 3.14.x.24 - CPU review>>

Stock HTC JB OTA 3.14.x.24, performance review posts #11598 and #11613

Need For Speed Most Wanted v1.0.28 for Android - Tegra 3 performance patch + Multiple configuration patch>>

NXC 2.17 ICS Gaming kernel, custom kernel specifically for the One X gaming>>

Tegra 4 will be revealed in early January CES 2013, expected to have kepler based GPU with 32 or 64 cores>>

CNET: How to take great photos with an HTC One X>>

Reviewing the One X Tegra 3 gaming situation 7 months after release>>

One X Rules them all in the WindMill combined CPU+GPU Graphics Benchmark>>

One X GPU OC Tests 416mhz>700mhz GLBenchmark 2.5.1>>

Sony's Playstation Mobile is released>>

HTC announces the refreshed One X+>>

HTC announces the JB update for the One X and S will begin rolling out from October>>

My Hands On early Leaked JB test firmware 3.00.999.7>>

Useful comparison post between the s4 One XL & the T3 One X>>

Linux 3.1.0 kernel is coming with the JB update>>

Proper Contemporary Tests: Tegra3 Geforce vs Exynos4 Mali400 vs Snapdragon4 Adreno 225>>

[APP] RENOVATE Gaming Boost, this app will unleash your One X "capped" gaming power in one click>>

[KERNEL] HTC One X - Tegra 3 - Best kernel: Faux - Epic performance Extraction>>

[GUIDE] Graphics boost for non Tegra 3 optimized games>>

Hands on HTC One X test release 2.05.401.2>> and final update 2.17.401.2>>

[INFO] Digital Foundry VS Tegra3>>

[INFO] Revealing info about the One X Tegra 3 chipset variants thanks to Faux>>

[APP] Set Orientation, Auto Rotate Sense Launcher , no root required

[FIX] Ultra & Super Smooth Sense 4.0 Launcher (Rosie)>> (no longer needed for update 2.17.401.2 and Sense 4.1)

[KERNEL] Massive news GPU uncapped back to 520mhz (stock 416mhz) thanks to kholk's Eternity Project>> and Faux Kernel>>

Gameloft admits Tegra 3 One X issues in its games>>

[TIP] Backup/Restore user apps and data from old phone (without needing root)>>

Interesting information about the famous NvCPLSvc.apk the included performance profiles, compared to the stock 2.05.401.2>>

One X Tegra GPU is capped at 416mhz>>

Vital information about CPU governor>>

Asus Nexus Tablet: Tegra 3 is going to the masses>>

PlayStation Mobile HTC Announcement - E3 2012 Sony Press Conference

Eurogamer: Digital Foundry: HTC One X Review
    "Right now, the One X has few serious rivals. It's blessed with a gorgeous screen as well as an attractive design, and it houses a terrifying amount of power within that svelte and lightweight frame."

HTC One X, different display panels>>

Good read on Li-poly batteries>>

One X quick review

Update on the gap/flex situation

GUIDE - How To Test your One X for defects in store>>

3rd One X, SH248, Flawless

2nd One X, HT242, Build quality niggles on my second One X HT243

Some early One X have build issues, return if you find any hardware defect! Build Quality Poll>>

HTC admits flaws in One X promises to fix manufacturing>>

Tear Down Photos>>

The best picture you've taken thread (explore to see the amazing camera results)

HTC's Response about temperature - normal during gaming>>

HTC One X - Reviews Recap - Part I>>

HTC One X - Reviews Recap - Part II>>

My initial hands on the Grey One X>>

Photoshoot & Hands On - Final Retail White vs Grey>>

Benchmarks and Battery of the One X>>

S4 vs T3 @720p - One X vs One XL>>

My conclusion about Tegra3>>

Thoughts on the One X heat situation>>
    Put simply, the HTC One X stole the show at Mobile World Congress
    "Engadget"

Engaget, Mobile World Congress 2012, best of show: Best Smartphone HTC One X>>

HTC ONE SERIES UNVEILED - Press Release>>

HTC One Series MWC 2012 announcement video - Full version>>

HTC One Series MWC 2012 announcement video - Short version>>

HTC One Camera Samples Thread, more here and here, amazing shutter speed here

Amazing videos and screens about the polycarbonate unibody durability>>

Amazing video showing the abilities of Tegra 3, MUST SEE!>>

Tegra 3 optimized Games and apps thread>>

Modaco's detailed brief on the One Series>>

Hard Reset concerns: HTC confirms that pressing and holding the power button for 10 seconds will force shut down the device>>

HTC Phones, Sizes comparison>>

HTC Edge/Endeavor/Supreme (codenames) - Release name: HTC One X - Model Number: S720e
    The HTC One X features a beautifully crafted polycarbonate unibody that has the ruggedness of metal but is super lightweight. With seamless construction, the unibody combines a unique high gloss 'piano' finish and a matte back. HTC One X is blazing fast with the new NVIDIA® Tegra 3 Mobile Processor for clear graphics, faster applications and longer battery life. It includes a 1.5GHz Super 4-PLUS-1™ quad-core with an integrated fifth Battery Saver Core and a high-performance 12-Core NVIDIA® GPU. The HTC One X also has an amazing 4.7-inch, 720p HD screen crafted from contoured Corning™ Gorilla Glass. HTC One X will also be available in select 4G LTE markets with a LTE-enabled Qualcomm Snapdragon S4™ processor with up to 1.5GHz dual-core CPU’s.

Final specs: green is advantage, red is disappointing disadvantage
    • Quad-core Tegra 3 processor + low power companion core 4-plus-1, Kal-Eli chip with ULP Gefroce GPU, AP33 1.5GHz / XMM6260
    • LTE version will carry the dual core snapdragon 4 krait chip @ 1.5ghz with Adreno225 - named One XL
    • Android 4.0 with Sense UI 4.0
    • 4.7-inch display with 720p resolution, SLCD 2 @ 312PPI, Optical lamination makes the screen seem to float just below the glass with no space for air or dust
    • Gorilla glass 2.5D
    • Poly-carbonate Uni-body construction
    • 1 GB RAM
    • Backlit 8 MP camera BSI backlight Sensor with f/2.0 lens, 1.3mp front cam plus ImageSense chipset
    • Beats Audio throughout the whole audio output
    • Slim, 8.9mm thick
    • Bluetooth 4.0
    • NFC with google wallet support
    • No SD slot
    • MicroSIM
    • 32 GB internal storage
    • 1800mAh built-in
    • HSPA+ 21 Mbps support
    • 5-pogo-pin setup for a speaker dock, likely for the rumored Beats audio dock
    • Stereo microphones for noise reduction
    • 134.36 x 69.9 x 8.9 mm
    • 130 grams with battery
    8505914563_158d4d30f1_c.jpg

A minimalist "Iconic" design, made from Polycarbonate uni-body

- White version: matt front frame, piano gloss sidewalls, matt soft touch back, glossy silver camera frame and silver gloss HTC logo
    - Grey version: matt front frame, piano gloss sidewalls, matt soft touch back, matt brushed camera frame and black gloss HTC logo
    + Curved 3D Gorilla glass, the glass curves around the edges

Described by HTC's Scott Croyle:
    The HTC One X begins with a beautiful crafted poly-carbonate uni-body, it got the ruggedness of metal but its super-light, the uni-body has authentic color through and through and it's super rugged, super durable. We thought a lot how to get the most out of this poly-carbonate uni-body and we began with seamless construction, the One X has this beautiful piano gloss edge around the perimeter of the phone and a matt back surface, it's the intersection of these two textures that creates a crisp surface break, it's this detail that really maximizes the precision and beauty of the material, we've taken this premium housing and combined it with 3D Gorilla glass, the glass curves and flows over the edge, this phone feels great when you pick it up, in fact when i'm using this phone i'm always rubbing my finger around the outside surface, it really feels awesome, we've obsessed about the tiniest of details on the One X, a good example is the way we've micro drilled the speakers holes to reach that perfect edge, it's attention to detail like this that really sets it apart, i like to describe the One X by distilling it down to three basic ideas, piano gloss side walls, curved glass and a simple iconic camera detail, it's the whole design sysyncly described in three short phrases
    8389818182_85095d705b_b.jpg

Leaked early Concept
    8388745943_0168afb0da_z.jpg

More info about the uni-body poly-carbonate construction here, here, here and here

MWC Grey version was a prototype finish, final Grey version and analysis here>>

Close up video of the black version>>

Awesome Video of the White Version>>

Engadget One X Photos from MWC2012>>

Phonearena about ImageSense with Samples>>

More info about the amazing camera here, with video>>

Anandtech's One X vs One S Benchmarks>>

One X SLCD2 is an AH-IPS screen "perfect view angles" IPS not mentioned in the spec sheet for trademark reasons>>

Info about the Tegra3 GPU 12 core count for Apple A5x Quad core count plus clocks>>

Anandtech's Detailed A5x vs T3 Analysis: GPU Situation, Real World Gaming and CPU situation

Anandtech's Detailed A5x vs T3 Analysis: Revealing information about memory channel situation>>

Tablet Chip Showdown: Nvidia Tegra 3 vs. the New iPad’s A5X>>

Anandtech article on Tegra 3 Architecture>>

ARM's big.LITTLE Processing 4 plus 1 inspired concept (similar to T3)>>

Anandtech Tegra 3 GPU benchmarks (T30 Transformer Prime)>>

Tegra 3 GPU benchmarks (T33 Lenovo Lepad)>>

Detailed negative analysis about the Tegra3>>

Nvidia Tegra3 Presentation>>

Tegra 3 White papers>>

Tegra 3 DirectTouch Feature>>

Gaming on Tegra 3>>

HTC’s flagship Android phone to be called One X, Ville to be called One S>>

HTC One X Accessories>>

HTC Ville (codename) - Release name: HTC One S, HTC's Secondary 2012 flagship
    The HTC One S is for people who want a high-end smartphone in a more compact size. It is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor with up to 1.5GHz dual-core CPU’s. It also includes a 4.3-inch screen crafted from contoured Corning™ Gorilla Glass. HTC One S brings HTC’s innovative metal unibody styling to a new thin 7.9-mm design, making it HTC’s thinnest phone yet. The HTC One S sports two new finishes that break new ground in mobile phone innovation. The first is an ultra-matte black Ceramic Metal surface that is the result of a microarc oxidation (MAO) process originally developed for use in satellites. It transforms the surface of the aluminum unibody into a ceramic, super-dense crystalline structure that is four times harder than anodized aluminum, enabling the HTC One S to look great over time. The second finish for the One S takes anodizing to a new level with a new patented process that creates a light-to-dark gradient fade that looks gorgeous and sophisticated

Final specs: green is advantage, red is disappointing disadvantage
    • Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
    • 4.3-inch qHD Super AMOLED display @ 256PPI, pentile matrix
    • 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon 4 processor, New krait chip with Adreno 225 GPU
    • Backlit 8 MP camera BSI backlight Sensor with f/2.0 lens, 1.3mp front cam plus ImageSense chipset
    • [COLOR="Green)"]Gorilla glass 2.5D[/COLOR]
    • Beats Audio throughout the whole audio output
    • Metallic uni-body with crystaline ceramic metal finish
    • 7.8m ultra thin
    • No NFC support
    • No Sd slot
    • MicroSIM
    • 16GB internal
    • 1650mAh battery built-in
    • HSPA+
    • 130.9 x 65 x 7.8 mm
    • 119.5 grams with battery
    8388750587_5deec881a9_c.jpg

Classic HTC aluminium uni-body with new two different finishes:
    - Black ceramic ultra matt "Micro-Arc Oxidized" finish with red accents, 4 times more durable than the old aluminium
    - Dark to gray Gradient "patented" Anodized finish with blue accents
    + Curved 3D Gorilla glass, the glass curves around the edges

Leaked early Concept
    8389832610_c7223ff952_z.jpg

Snapdragon 4 VS Tegra 3

Snapdragon4: 28nm, 2 x Krait @1.5GHz, 2 x 32-bit LPDDR2 memory bus,
    Adreno 225 GPU: 8 units, 50% faster > Adreno220, 3x faster > Adreno205, 6x faster > Adreno200

Tegra3: 40nm, 4 x ARM Cortex A9 w/ MPE @1.5GHz + 5th low power ARM cortex A9 companion core @500mhz, 1 x 32-bit LPDDR2 memory bus
    Geforce++ GPU: 8 pixel units + 4 vector units, 2x/3x faster than Tegra2

In Anandtech's preview of the One X vs One S during the MWC 2012 announcement, it shows the T3 is going head to head with the s4 in CPU speed, while GPU it beats the s4, the One X has 77% more pixels to render vs the One S, conclusion the T3 is better in web browsing and gaming (multitasking and GPU), the dual S4 has better single core performance.

Further benchmarks affirm that the T3 is better suited for the 720p display, vs iPad2/iPad3 both the T3 and s4 beats its CPU (same Dual A9 1.0ghz CPU on A5/A5x) and between 2 to 3x GPU advantage for the A5x quad core GPU over T3 (unlike the 4x claimed by Apple)

One S Super Amoled screen uses a PenTile RGBG matrix>>

Info about pentile super amoled screen here >>

Anandtech's One X vs One S Benchmarks!>>

Engadget One S Photos from MWC2012>>

Anandtech article on snapdragon 4's Krait Architecture>>

Anandtech's performance preview of Snapdragon 4 (Krait) with Adreno225>>

Anandtech's One X vs One S Benchmarks!>>

Tegra3 vs Snapdragon4 vs A5x vs A5>>

More One X vs One S benchmarks>>

General conlcusion for the T3 vs S4 situation>>

Snapdragon4 vs Tegra3 Benchmarks head to head>>

The Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 (Krait) Preview Part II, Tegra3 vs dual Snapdragon4>>

PC Mag benchmarks of Snapdragon4 vs Tegra3>>

Sense 4.0/4.1/4+

After the massively bogged down heavily 3D animated sense 3.0, HTC went with simplification of it's UI, reducing much of the heavy bloat, eventually by the Sense 4+ JB updated they finally achieved triple buffered locked 60fps throughout the Sense UI.

Thread discussing Sense 4.0>>

8388746009_33c1cd3923.jpg

HTC official updates

HTC has shown a good record of providing Android updates, they commit updates up to 18 months of the device lifetime, flagship phones have gone through three major Android updates, also most of the beta firmwares are regularly leaked on xda few months ahead of release date, for example:

HTC One X: Ice Cream Sandwith 4.0.3 / Sense 4.0 > ICS 4.0.4 / Sense 4.1 > Jelly Bean 4.1.1 / Sense 4+ > JB 4.2.2 / Sense 5
    HTC Sensation: Gingerbread 2.3.4 / Sense 3.0 > GB 2.3.5 / Sense 3.5 (beta) > ICS / Sense 3.6 (Final)
    HTC Desire HD: Froyo 2.2 / Sense 2.1 > Gingerbread 2.3.3 / Sense 2.1 > GB 2.3.5 / Sense 3.0 > ICS (Cancelled)
    HTC Desire: Eclair 2.1 / Sense 1.9 > Froyo 2.2 / Sense 2.0 > Gingerbread 2.3 / / Reduced Sense 2.1 (final, standalone download)

HTC Development Support

HTC officially supports unlocking boot-loader and have already provided unlocks for most its older Android phones, however S-OFF is not officially supported

Unlocking support and kernel sources can be found on this site http://htcdev.com/
    For those that care:

Samsung galaxy s3 vs HTC One X comparison​

My cousin came at my place for few days so we had the time to test entirely both devices and see which one is better truly.

• Screen test:

Daytime:

• HTC One X :
    It has around 20/25% brighter display and much better white while s3 has better blacks, also it's much easier to see stuff @ the sun with HoX , angles are also much better , while with s3 we had hard time seeing stuff at the sun.

In overall HoX has much better display at day time.

Night time:

Here also HoX has the same advantage of screen brightness tho angles werent so bad on s3 at night but hox still had better angles.

System / rom / fluidity / speed.

Ok so hox has MUCH faster system then s3 on STOCK ROM & on custom it's even more faster , and the difference is huge, S3 doesn't even have jelly bean triple buffering on JB nor system locked onto 60 FPS like hox , HoX was faster in EVERY single way we tested stock vs stock rom & custom vs custom TW / Sense rom as well , On AOSP rom they were equally fast tho HoX was little bit faster when opening apps probably cuz of 1500 CPU vs 1400.

Tests we've done:
    • Browser speed : faster for around 30% then s3
    • Camera start time: Faster for around 1/2 sec also the shutter speed is faster
    • Starting the call: Hox takes around 1/1.5 sec to open it fresh new while s3 takes average between 4/5 sec to start the call.
    • Waking up / unlocking takes for s3 around 3 sec to wake up , while HoX gets up in around 1 sec
    • Home button on s3 takes 3sec to response while on HoX is instant.
      • Gallery
      • : S3 seams to always load gallery unlike on HoX where is always loaded and faster
      • Sms messages: HoX is fluid as it gets w/o lag , while s3 has major laggs with scrolling, laggs more then some single core phones.

In overall HoX was at least 50% faster at loading times/speed.

• Speaker test:

S3 no doubt wins here , it has around 30% louder speaker then HoX
    With custom romom ROM and xLoud Hox still couldn't match the s3 speaker , s3 was still for around 15% louder.

• Headphones:

Headphones sound music: HoX wins this one on stock , bass and sound is much louder and better on hox then on s3. While on HoX with Renovate RoM we couldn't even use the max volume on HoX it was too damn loud but also very good, while s3 has literally the same on custom rom.

Battery Life:

• Stock Rom
    • S3 wins here , my cousin got 4hrs 53mins screen time while i had 4hrs 19 mins ( tho remember my brightness higher then his + he was using black background.
    • Custom TW / Sense RoM:
    • HoX won here ,i've got 6hrs 34mins ( Tho i used my PMC setup ) , while s3 got 5hrs 25mins.

• [*]AOSP:

• I've got on HoX 5hrs 25mins ( Also using PMC Setup ) while my cousin on s3 got 5hrs 19mins.

• Usage:

Pretty much normal/heavy usage , lots of SmS texting, some callings , Facebook chating , camera, listening to music , browser etc. We both had very similar usage

• GAMING:

• Games we tested:

• Mc4 , NFSMW , Real racing 3

On normal details both were pretty much the same except HoX did load and start the games in average 4/6 sec faster.
    Max details , HoX still did load the games faster and started them but MC4 and NFSMW were more fluid on S3 then HoX , tho Real racing 3 was somehow faster and more fluid on HoX.

• AS for THD games there was no point testing those since HoX clearly wins here.

• BENCHMARKS:

• Quadrant stock rom: S3 = 5966 , HoX = 6749
    • Quadrant Custom rom: S3 = 6458 . HoX 7577
    • Antutu stock rom: s3 = 15145 , HoX = 14670
    • Antutu custom rom: S3 = 15964 , HoX = 16890

• Epic Citadel stock rom quallity details: S3 = 41.4 Fps , HoX 47.3 Fps
    • Epic Citadel stock rom high performance: s3 = 44.3 Fps , HoX 50.6 Fps
    • Epic Citadel custom rom quality details: S3 = 42.4 Fps , HoX 49.7 Fps
    • Epic Citadel custom rom high performance: S3 45.2 Fps , HoX 52.8 Fps

CAMERA TEST:

Video recording:

They were pretty much simmilar , HoX picked up more light for around 20/30% but it had some blurs , while s3 had no blurs but it couldn't focus so close as HoX and it was much darker then HoX , so we called this one EVEN.

No HDR all AUTO: HoX had little sharper pictures but it was barely noticable, so we called this one EVEN as well.

Night photos + flash , on this one S3 killed HoX , s3 has much larger LED then HoX which is why it won.

Night photos + HDR no flash: This one HoX won very easily , hox had around 150-200% brighter photos with more details and less sharpness then S3

HDR Photos pretty much it was cloudy all day , anyway i wont comment on this one but rather show you pictures down here so you be the judge.

Click on Images if you wanna see full size.
    S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3

HoX

S3 Around 10 pm

HoX Around 10 pm

IN OVERALL we both agreed HOX was faster and better device in OVERALL statistics.

@Hamdir , Thx for the Tip with sharpness -2 and auto enchance. If you want feel free to add those photos to your HoX forum pictures collection , of course if you like them.
    This update continues with Test leak 2.15.401.5>>

changelog and feedback of test, base 2.05.401.2:

- still non 3.x kernel

- very fast unlock speed

- super fast connecting to wifi network :eek:

- faster stock browser (Android 4.0.4 expected)

- multitasking minfress still the same

- still 3d widgets :mad: but much smoother sense launcher!! no stutter but instead it hiccups every now and then

- the pinch to zoom is now much smoother, the zoomed out previews are now in low resolution

- USB selection menu button is gone, you just select and it sets

- gallery video bug seems gone, i placed some flvs and the gallery did not see them (which was causing the bug) also .3gp is still not recognized

- Auto brightness is now retweaked and brighter

- All the beats profile are gone, only On and Off now for beats enhancement sound good, maybe profiles auto detect beats earphones ill try at home with my XL beats set, right im using the stock ones

- new solution for the 3Dot menu! we can change it on the fly in the display options, with option for long hold recent apps for menu or vice versa or the 3dot menu, display menu is now called display gestures and buttons

- call menu still lags without force 2D acceleration

- still no power options

- live wallpaper scrolling bug still unsolved

Performance:

the UI is a lot more responsive now overall feel of speed is much enhanced

in games:

ondemand governor is improved it now ramps to full dual core 1400mhz on screen unlock, its also much more aggressive in launcher and certain games

interactive governor seems even more aggressive with reduced clock change latency sadly it get stuck often in dual core or even single core mode

performance governor still locks to 1.4ghz dual core only

Ripetide, shadowgun and zen pinball much improved n stable performance on the stock governor

Sonic 4eII still some lag on stock governor and minfrees but a lot better than before

Nova 3 still bad frame rates without some tweaking but also better than before

the performance improvements seems on the CPU side and not the GPU

i've tested games non stop, hoping the temps and over heat problems are improved

Definite performance increase.

Highest old quadrant 4,879 with standard 4.03

Highest New Quadrant5,609 with standard 4.04

What has changed to make such a drastic difference ??
    Just did an Antutu test on stock kernel: 11184.
    55 fps nenamark2 :) stock kernel
    Egypt offscreen: 64 fps
    Pro: 90 fps
    Lets call it gaming kernel, or whatever.

boot.img
    modules

Dont care about the modules name. The modules are right.

- Stock ondemand governor with its stock values
    - GPU 520mhz
    - Quad unlocked at max 1500 frequency (no single core max step)
    - No CPU poke on screen unlock
    ==> Still pokes in about 24 hours 30 secs on 1500 -> I cant find the reason. (will not affect gaming)
    - Setting the clock speed should stick even after screen off
    ==> It does (between 1200 and 1500), but it boots with 1200MHz, setting after higher clocks is no problem (will not affect gaming)
    - Interactive governor should be able to call all quad everytime in glowball
    ==> It does as all cores are unlocked
    - 76hz pixel clock
    Sorry, not integrated :( takes me longer to understand and where to change, maybe talk to a better kernel dev about this
    - No UV, unless with an optional interface (UV Interface by faux integrated)
    - Noop, SIO and deadline schedulers
    - [PATCHv5,1/3] ARM: tegra: Add Tegra AHB driver the idea is Tegra 3 is pixel fill rate limited due to it's memory bandwith...
    - S2W integrated all my credits out to show-p1984

Before someone comes to the brilliant idea that this kernel is not stock because of the preempt count number. It is, i removed everything from my kernel except necessary fixes to not crash and ONLY integated stuff mentioned below !

THX button whoop whoop
    Ok this will post will carry my hands so ill update it as it goes, One X Grey version, software version 1.26.707.2 - Asian

Build and Construction

The first time you hold the device you are shocked, it feels absolutely incredible

It's incredibly slim and although i moved from the Desire HD it feels much more fitting in the hands, the curves, slimness and weight are just what shocks you and gives the pure quality feel, it feels like the perfect size for a phone i can't explain this enough

The rubbery back and front feel premium, the glossy sides are even great since they add the mix of all this material they just add to this masterpiece, it doesn't feel plastic at all, in fact the grey version suddenly makes perfect sense, it looks and feel like a metallic device from HTC thanks to its color, the micro grill holes are incredible they don't feel like holes as if they are not there as for the LED notification its not the usual behind the grill nonsense its actually one of the 1 pixels holes being lit

The buttons are not flushed like DHD nor extruded like Sensation, its just a bit over the edge just perfect, its plastic but like the glossy edges, it doesn't feel like it at all

finally the camera ring, its all about the camera, it adds the final icing on the cake, the brushed metallic camera is glossy sides, no red tints what so ever it just changes under different lighting, its slightly darker gun grey, the moment you look on it you know its metallic without the need to touch it, sadly its true the glass is almost flushed to the edges and hence at serious risk of scratshes, the DHD for instance was not flushed

HTC logo is also glossy metal

The phone feel very glued to the hand, the thinness and rubbery back allows you to maneuver it in your hands very easily, such as pressing the power button easily (let it slip for a bit and press the button, like i do with my DHD)

The screen feel is incredible it slides and slopes in maximum glamour and flows around the edge, its a trick however since there is a very fine metal frame surrounding the screen you just don't feel it on sides

The screen does flex if pressured hard, but its really very hard to see, its like less than a millimeter and its not affecting the screen in glitches or whatever, doesn't feel a fault at all

There was a flaw however in the unit i had, like a small one pixel line scratch on the top left corner seems behind the upper layer of the gorilla glass, I only see it when its turned on, another weird thing is shaking the device makes a weird moving part sound near the camera area but i don't thinks it's a problem, the unibody feels rock solid and there are no squeaks what so ever

as you can see i'm floored by the device look and feel and definitely going for the grey, its just amazing

Size

Coming from the Desire HD i had my worries about the size and to my surprise it feels actually a lot better than the DHD, its just so slim, feels so great in the hand and suddenly you start to change the way you work with it, you start using your second hand like you do on tablet but that actually because you are very comfortable with the way its held in your hand thanks, to the amazing slimness and weight, the weight is light and yet it feels rigid and quality

I know i'm repeating myself but really it makes no sense, when you use this phone, 4.7" suddenly becomes the standard size for a smartphone, HTC meant when they said feeling is believing

Audio & Beats

Speaker output was a lot better than the DHD but not amazing, its very loud but a little bit muffled plus bass is not so heavy, i suspect Sensation XL had better speaker quality

Headphones quality is another story the DAC included is certainly of high quality, I tried it you with the iPad earphones and was amazed by the sound output, really clean with excellent treble and bass, the select-able sound profiles are excellent such classical, dance, bass, beats and many more, it's good that you have many choices, all the different sound profiles plus beats, you also select the type of earphones used if different kinds of beats or the option for "other"

best bit they work globally in all apps, when they advertise beats they don't just mean the equalizer, it also mean your getting higher quality output

Screen

The screen has excellent black levels and also very bright, there is no barrier between you and the pixels, so you feel your touching and dealing with the pixels directly, view angles are perfect, excellent 60fps refresh rate with zero ghosting, i also checked color gradation and its seems great, some apps had the stair steps effect but turns out its the app fault, i always test cut the rope for this because the stairs effect is obvious on SGS2 and it was not present here, there was no visible grid or pattern in grey areas

the density is certainly retina level and feels printed, but its obvious there are some tweaks by HTC like digital sharpness, the iPhone has softer edges, while the One X everything is just razor sharp so you can still "feel" the digital nature of the image

Some reviewer complained about the cold calibration on the screen, well the unit i had was actually warm and on the yellow side which some getting used to if you are used to cold, but the color are vibrant

I have encountered no glitches with the screen, pressuring the sides showed no reactions and it had no yellow spots, again the only issue was a small one pixel line imperfection under the gorilla glass in the top left corner, but it's not bad enough to warrant a return

The touchscreen response was excellent and not once did the screen fail to respond, however the screen does get some heat

Glitches and observations

When i first turned on the device it was at low battery and seems the CPU speed was reduced, the folder pop were not animating so i guess it was on battery saving mode it the only time i noticed glitches, there were some green one pixel strips flickering when switching between home screen it was apparent in the HTC Album widget which had an empty black frame, it only appeared inside the black but then when i charged the phone, i no longer encountered it, since i only saw it at low battery it made me wonder wether it's linked to the companion core or battery saving mode

I did not encounter the other graphical corruption users are complaining from, i also never saw that glitch again for some reason seems linked to the charging

someone complained about the status bar glitch and its actually not a glitch simply when the app drawer is open the status bar turns from transparent to solid the change is abrupt and hence feel like a glitch, i tried to create the glitches in many areas like i saw in the videos including the camera including pushing on the screen edgets but nothing

Browser, WiFi and Google Play

I tried the browser included is the smoothest stock android browser i ever experienced and its actually zooming @ 60fps there are no stutters or lag, i tried it on the engadget desktop version, however it does take a split second to snap when the text reflowes and you see the rest of the page tiling very quickly, this is unlike my Desire HD which snaps in an instant however the browser itself is much smoother

A bit similar to the tiling effect in Opera mini

i tried Opera mobile and I was surprised to find it performs slower than the stock browser, however Opera Mini operates @ 60fps while ICS browser+ performed great just like the stock browser, they all have this split second delay to snap/tile the page, maybe because its running @HD and so many pixels to fill

I had zero of the reported touch screen issues during browsing the bottom menu bar problem in the PhoneArena review didn't occure no matter how hard i tried, maybe because i disabled three buttons HTC gestures in the settings?

Browsing on the One X is such a revelation i don't find any issue even the re-flow tile effect was not a bother since it happens so smoothly (very similar to opera mini), full desktop pages like engadget opens in a breath, i certainly noticed much faster page loading and WiFi performance than my DHD

I browsed through Google play in near instant, it actually made me wonder why it is slow on my Desire HD, maybe it's not well optimized and hence a faster processor is helping in this case

Speed, lag and memory management

Guess what! 3D widgets are still there! they are just reduced in Z depth but all the HTC widgets are still in 3D just a lot less pronounced, but yea we can definitely apply an ultra rosie patch on this thing if we want to lock 60fps on the sense launcher

In general the UI and Rosie are always running @ 60fps, i didn't encounter any pause or freeze despite how much i abused it, not once did the screen fail to respond, also going to the settings menu never resulted in a pause

However once you start juggling between different heavy apps and games, general UI start to lag a little like Android's usual ways, this is the usual memory management problem with Android with background apps consuming the memory and processor, especially since they conflict in their priority requests, this problem is further amplified by the fact that Sense launcher seems a little heavy and so i encountered lots of launcher reloads, again this is nothing new for me its just Android's usual BS, for those who don't know, it has to do with google default memory free values and priority groupings, some manufacturers solves this by adjusting those values or having light customization like Samsung did on the SGS2, HTC seems to be still struggling with this, lets hope they figure it out with an update

Its very easy to solve with scripts like Suprecharger, Supercharger will give proper priority and insure it never reloads it will also help you control how much apps are allowed to multitask and consuming memory, it will start closing background apps based on the least priority depending on the free memory values you set, its not a task shutter, it's a script that controls Android's low level mem free values and priorities, check the link in my signature to know more about this

In its current state the device had around 385MB freen when i closed all apps using the included task manager

Games

Gaming on this thing is :eek: it feels like you running a PC, the image is just too sharp and big its like looking at a PC high quality LCD screen

I tried Shine Runner which ran perfectly i went to the settings, maxed out the graphical settings and the frame rate didn't hitch, the water effects are really nice, this game didn't cause much heat

Glowball also ran perfectly but needs tilt calibration the moment you open it, frame rates are very good, its a very impressive demo that gives you a glimpse of the future of mobile, again it's like running on PC :) this demo really show offs the screen density, black levels and colors, Glowball definitely caused heavy heat

Shadowgun i didn't have time to download the THD version, i ran the all devices version which worked and i was really amazed by the texture resolution and frame rates until it crashed :D they now updated the THD version to support the One X

I tried Reckless racing 2 but it told me the device is not supported

Touch buttons and on screen menu button

I quickly got used to the lack of menu and started relying on the new placement, i didn't really mind the loss of this button, also the multitasking button is not useless it quickly got me accustomed to easier multi-tasking with this button, in fact the back button felt the least useful one

but yes the on screen menu that appears in legacy apps is non sense, especially when it appears on games and eats from screen space with no actual use! lets hope app devs and xda devs sort this out quickly

Video playback, charging and general comments

Video playback is just amazing on this thing, it just rock solid, it feels an impossible task to make a stutter in a video

Bluetooth can be enabled even if the phone is in airplane mode, WiFi seemed faster than my DHD, Storage USB transfer is incredibly fast

Something is broken with USB charging it's just so slow and seems to not charge when use the phone while charging, the wall charger needed around two hours to charge full, but its too early to judge since the battery didn't break in

For once an HTC device felt rock solid out of box, everything flows and work as it should without any non sense, everything open and run instantly, the camera app is incredibly responsive, installing APKs takes a fraction of the time it used to need on my DHD, it made my DHD feels so "unrefined", rock solid is the word here, like the iPhone effect you don't feel any inconsistency in the UI or that its about to collapse over itself but still in many areas its clear the software is still early and needs more optimization

I guess this solid feel and responsiveness i'm talking about is the best use of Tegra3

Camera

I didn't get the chance to try it in good light, it was very late at night with the corner spotlights in my living room, but yes some bad news i was not able to disable the digital processing on the image despite using sharpness -2 there are still a lot more treatment going on

I tried wide screen on/off and burst mode off, nothing changed you just can't control the noise management, in the old Sense there was an auto enhance option which is now gone, so yes the resultant image does feel less than the 8MP output i'm used to from my DHD, i took photo of my wall unit and its clear not much detail was being captured but again i was testing in bad light and i didn't have the chance to tweak or test more

The view finder and camera app are incredibly fast with instant response, the frame rate of view finder and video, was a little less since the light was low but a quick nudge down the exposure setting jumped the frame rate back to full even in 1080p video, the exposure reduction trick still works and in fact you don't loose much brightness with it even at exposure -2

Focusing and refocusing during videos happens in an instant and the camera app felt rock solid and impossible to make stutter in videos, its very hard to cause a motion blur due to the speedy shutter, burst mode works as it should but gave less number of images then the sound clicks hinted i guess because of the terrible light condition i was trying this camera with, the photos taken in burst are grouped alone inside the gallery

Intelligent Flash seemed to work as intended and very fast

HDR in low light indoor seemed slow and ineffective, the best bit about this camera is the interface and how responsive it is, i can only imagine great things in daylight, but the inability to disable whatever ImageSense is doing to the image was a disappointment

now for the worrying bit

Temperature

While charging on both USB and charger, the phone did get hot but within the normal acceptable range and like reported if you open a quad heavy app like glowball it does get hotter it was still acceptable and the heat is centered around the camera area and spreads around the frame

So i test this even further i removed it from the charger and tried glowball for a while it felt like the normal handheld consoles kind of heat, ie justified by heavy gaming but kind of worries you not to keep going and let it heat further

It does get very hot when you use the camera app and the screen brightness automatically jump to 100% it get very hot in the camera area, so much that i was a little annoyed, maybe the combination of T3 and the image sense chip are contributing to this

Screen brightness was at half during all this, but yes increasing the brightness also increases heat a little

Tegra 3 seems to be operating at its maximum thermal limits, i think we would be fooling ourselves if we thought this 4+1 SOC will operate cool when its built on 40nm process

I'm a little worried about this since users reported glitches appearing after few days but not at first use i hope it's not overheating causing damage to the chip but on the other hand permanent damage usually leaves the glitches for good they don't disappear like in the reported cases

One thing for sure if power management is not done right on this device i don't think it's well end well, maybe it needs a solution similar to the T Prime, where the quad mode runs at lesser clocks, i feel very disappointed that HTC didn't not give use control over power modes i think they wanted to maximum performance for the reviews, so lets hope an upcoming update will solve thermal issues and provide the user the choice like they do in their older phones, users who are going to root know that devs will soon have a hand in all this by having custom kernels and give you control

in XDA we usually install custom kernel and CPU governor to save as much battery as we can, governors like smartass2 tries to keep the CPU at low frequencies as much as possible some of us even down clock the CPU a little, we also reduce power values for the CPU, this device will certainly benefit from developers' kernel customization and improvements

People who can't live with a heating phone or root i suggest you hold your purchase until the situation clears out or start considering the One XL with its similar performing snapdragon4 at much smaller process, most this review will still apply on the One XL

-----

more soon