• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

HTC Hero Speedup v2.0 {Updated - 6/2/2009}

Search This thread

tehseano

Jan 23, 2009
===============================================================================
XDA Users, KEEP THIS THREAD ON TOPIC OR IT TOO WILL GOTO THE TRASH!!!
===============================================================================

HTC Hero Speedup v2.0

Q: What is HTC Hero Speedup?
A: HTC Hero Speedup is a batch file for Windows that I wrote, containing multiple commands and functions to help speed up the operations of the recently released HTC Hero ROM. I do not take credit for any of the scripts or functions executed here, I simply compiled them together into 1, easy-to-use script.
|
|
|

Features
* Remove original home (Launcher.apk) since you now use Rosie
* Remove HTC PC Sync (PCSCII.apk)
* Add English VK w/Calibration (HTC_IME.apk)
* Install dextop-wrapper
* Install buttkicker's optimization script (optimize.sh)
* Replace Sapphire Camera with original HTC Camera (HTCCamera.apk)
* Reboot phone
|
|
|

Requirements
* ROOT access
* Hero Final ROM
* Working ADB interface (This is NOT a support thread for ADB. See THIS thread if you have questions)
* Some knowledge of Android, Hero, and ADB - IE: This is NOT for NOOBS
|
|
|

Installation

1. First and foremost, whether you are new to the script, or a current user (having issues) follow these instructions TO THE BONE!!! The known VK issues and force close's will be a thing of the past, but you MUST follow these instructions 100%, or I cannot assure you everything will work.

2. I suggest starting with a 100% clean ext2 partition. No existing folders (app,data,dalvik-cahe,media) should be there. Hero isn't perfect yet, it doesn't run the same as a JF build, and as a result has some odd ways of messing with things. > Push app_s to your /system/sd/app_s folder on your ext2 partition. To do this in ADB:
Code:
> cd (to whatever directory your app_s folder is in on your computer)
adb push app_s /system/sd/app_s

3. Make sure the hero update.zip is on the root of your /sdcard

4. Boot into recovery (Home + Power) > Do a wipe (ALT + W) > Flash Hero update (ALT + S) > When finished, reboot (Home + Back) > If you don't want app2sd, skip to step 7

5. Plug your device in via USB (Do not mount it) > Download my latest Auto Lucid Script > unzip it to any directory > Run auto_lucid_x.x.bat

6. Use option 1 > then 3 > (if you want to review the status, option 7) > then 8 > Your phone will reboot successfully > Now goto settings > SD card & Phone Storage > You should have roughly ~80MB free on your internal memory

7. With your device still plugged in via USB (and not mounted) > Download my latest Hero Speedup Script (found below) > unzip it to any directory > Run hero_speedup_x.x.bat

8. Use option 1 > then 2 > then 3 > you'll be asked to reboot, do so > once you're back up and running, continue with option 4 > next 5 > and lastly 6 (if you want to change cameras) > you'll be asked to reboot, do so again. If you want to know what you just did, here is a breakdown of each option.
Code:
-1) Remove Laucnher.apk - Pretty self explanatory. Since you are using Rosie now, you no longer need the traditional home.

-2) Remove HTC PC Sync - Also self explanatory, this option removes a new feature of Hero, Exchange. Which allows you to sync your Dream with your PC with Mail and Calendar programs.

-3) Add English Keyboard - By default, the VK (Virtual Keyboard) is in Chinese, this option will add the English version, as well as the calibration tools for the VK.

-4) Install dextop-wrapper - Honestly, I don't know what this is. But it is required to install buttkicker's optimization script.

-5) Install Optimization Script - This script removes and recreates odex files for all of your apps, kind of like "cache"ing them from what I've gathered.

-6) Replace Camera - This removes the Sapphire Camera from this build and replaces it with the original HTC Hero Camera.

-7) Reboot Phone - If you can't figure this out, you don't belong here.

-8) Exit Script - Again, if this is confusing, jump off a cliff :D

9. Once you're back up and running, goto Settings > Locale and Text (you shouldn't force close) > You should now have both Touch Input and Touch Input Chinese

10. Lastly, provide feedback. Let me know that you followed every one of these steps EXACTLY, and whether or not you have any issues or not. Do not skip any steps (except for those pointed out for non-apps2sd users).
|
|
|

Download

hero_speedup_2.0 [Rapidshare] | [4shared]
hero_speedup_1.8 [Rapidshare] | [4shared]
hero_speedup_1.7 [Rapidshare] | [4shared]
hero_speedup_1.6 [Rapidshare] | [4shared]
hero_speedup_1.5 [Rapidshare] | [4shared]
hero_speedup_1.0 [Rapidshare] | [4shared]

|
|
|

If you are having issues, errors, force closes, or any other problem AFTER following my installation instructions exactly, then please reply with as much information as you can. Please do not report problems unless you followed my instructions. If you veered off course at all, I can't be of any help.

Ask yourself these questions BEFORE reporting an error. Save me the hassle of asking.
- Did you start with a 100% clean ext2 partition?
- Did you re-push app_s?
- Did you wipe, then install a fresh copy of Hero?
- Are you using Apps2SD? - If so, are you using my Auto Lucid Script? (link in signature)
- Did you reboot at the correct times?

|
|
|

Changelog
1.8 to 2.0
Not a whole lot changed visibly. The keyboard problems were fixed when done correctly through my instructions above. I added some more precautions, to avoid doing 1 thing, when another is required first. PLEASE read the install instructions if you are still having problems. All should be good and well in 2.0
Now if that's it, I'd like to take a breather for a minute, before I start updating my other projects lol.

1.7 to 1.8
Script no longer removes the Chinese keyboard, it simply adds the English one.
Code:
adb remount
adb push HTC_IME.apk /system/sd/app_s
adb push Clicker.apk /system/sd/app_s

1.6 to 1.7
Changed keyboard replacement procedure to:
Code:
adb remount
adb push libt9.so /system/lib/libt9.so
adb shell rm -r /system/sd/app_s/HTC_CIME.apk
adb push HTC_IME.apk /system/sd/app_s/HTC_IME.apk
adb push Clicker.apk /system/sd/app_s/Clicker.apk

1.5 to 1.6
Changed keyboard replacement procedure to:
Code:
adb shell rm -r /system/sd/app_s/HTC_CIME.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/sd/app_s/HTC_IME.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/sd/app_s/Clicker.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/HTC_IME.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/Clicker.apk
adb install -r HTC_IME.apk
adb install -r Clicker.apk
|
|
|

Disclaimer
As always, I am not responsible for any problems you have after using this script. You are using it under your own free will. I have simply compiled scripts from different sources into an easy, deliverable format. If you have complaints that do not pertain to this thread SPECIFICALLY, PM me, please.

Last edited:

ministersin

Aug 25, 2008
Which recently released HERO Rom? H's? Beta4? Squished? All of the above?

Any instructions on using this bat? Drop update.zip in same folder and run bat or what?

jooshy180

May 15, 2009
the thing thats being slow is the rosie.apk. whenever i press home.. it takes a min.. i already deleted launcher.apk and installed rosie.apk to the internal memory.. a bit faster.. but still slowwwww

dbhatesyou

Mar 3, 2009
i asked before the threadmerge about the force close on locale and text, if it could be related to the .odex optimization since it worked before we odex'd our files.

tehseano

Jan 23, 2009
Working peeps, think I found a solution for your VK problems. Before I do anything else, have you tried rebooting?

New users, I'll get more installation instructions up ASAP. I only have 2 hands and can only type and fix things 1 at a time. Please be patient.

tehseano

Jan 23, 2009
After we do the run the script do we need to run it again for every program we load afterwards to keep the speed file odeccs?
If you want to re-create the odexs after a new app is installed you can, it certainly won't hurt.

Peeps with VK issues, wheres my feedback?!!? Have you tried restarting your phones? If so, is the VK still Force closing on you?

surj08

May 18, 2009
Indiana
the thing thats being slow is the rosie.apk. whenever i press home.. it takes a min.. i already deleted launcher.apk and installed rosie.apk to the internal memory.. a bit faster.. but still slowwwww

You might want to install any of the widgets you have to the internal memory too :)! which method did you use to install to internal memory?

I rm it from the /system/sd/app_s and then installed it adb Jw