• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

HTC M8 stuck in bootloop

Search This thread

Tainted

Jul 20, 2010
Hi guys,

Got a phone a need to revive. I received unusable. Mother gave it to my sisters friend and she said it doesnt work. I now see why cause he was trying to mod it.

I managed to once get into TWRP but cant anymore. It was UNLOCKED but now RELOCKED which I possibly made it a little harder for me.

So currently "fastboot getvars" reports back all the info. It's showing version-main 6.13.206.5 and I just want official O2 stock so can use the phone. Ideally sim unlocked but could hassle O2 for that later since it was my mother's contract.

Basically just want to get a working recovery image on and then flash stock. CID is 02__001

Any suggestion to revive this welcomed, please.

Attachments

• ff997a07-639d-4335-8895-6f05e1c38147.jpg
    ff997a07-639d-4335-8895-6f05e1c38147.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Tainted

Jul 20, 2010
So it still have twrp on it ? If yes, boot to twrp recovery then restore the stock backup.

You can find all you need in my thread - https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/help/tutorial-how-to-stock-stock-twrp-t3086860

Post #1 - how-to
Post #3 - you'll find the O2 stock backup
Post #5 - you'll find O2 firmware, install firmware after you restore the backup

No, I cannot get into it. When I select HBOOT, then select recovery it just shows white screen, ANDROID and then back to the menu. TWRP no longer works. That's what I'm trying to fix or put on a stock recovery image and then stock OS/firmware.

Tainted

Jul 20, 2010
Just wondering if I need to UNLOCK it again and also do I need USB debug on. I cannot boot into OS so unable to set USB debug.

To UNLOCK bootloader can that be done if you can only get into bootloader menu? S-ON is enabled but not 100% that will stop recovering it? That's just for signed rom/firmware and I just need something stock.

ckpv5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
You don't need usb debugging on to unlock the bootloader as it is done on fastboot mode (bootloader).

First I suggest you install the O2 firmware only then see whether you can boot to OS (assuming the OS is still stock base)

Second, re unlock bootloader with unlock_code.bin that you can get from htcdev.com, install twrp 3.x and restore the stock backup and relock bootloader and reflash firmware. This will get your device to fully stock.

So far, I don't see any RUU for your device version that you can get for free, only paid site has it.

Reactions: Tainted

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I managed to once get into TWRP but cant anymore. It was UNLOCKED but now RELOCKED which I possibly made it a little harder for me.

Relocking the bootloader renders the phone unable to boot into OS by definition, as it expects RUU to be run (but as mentioned, RUU is not available for your CID unless you pay - but it's not needed).

Also, you can't flash TWRP with a locked bootloader, again by definition. The primary limitation of an unlocked bootloader, is that it prohibits flashing unsigned recovery images.

So as suggested, simply unlock the bootloader again (with existing unlock bin code, or get a new one using the HTCDev.com process again). Then flash TWRP and a stock TWRP backup using ckpv5's backup collection (linked in his signature).

Tainted

Jul 20, 2010
Relocking the bootloader renders the phone unable to boot into OS by definition, as it expects RUU to be run (but as mentioned, RUU is not available for your CID unless you pay - but it's not needed).

Also, you can't flash TWRP with a locked bootloader, again by definition. The primary limitation of an unlocked bootloader, is that it prohibits flashing unsigned recovery images.

So as suggested, simply unlock the bootloader again (with existing unlock bin code, or get a new one using the HTCDev.com process again). Then flash TWRP and a stock TWRP backup using ckpv5's backup collection (linked in his signature).

ok, well made some progress.

unlocked the bootloader the official way. Very quick which I was surprised.
This then repoened up the recovery menu working.
then used fastboot to install latest twrp
then installed S.Team-JW-7.5.0.zip !!!

The install and everything looked good, no errors and now just not turning on. I think now it's a brick? Does not seem to be coming back to the bootloader menu and certainly does not try to boot.

Wondering if end of the line. Any suggestions? I assume need to get into TWRP and flash stock update from ckpv5.

Must say thanks for replies guys. ckpv5 you done some good work on here.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
The install and everything looked good, no errors and now just not turning on. I think now it's a brick? Does not seem to be coming back to the bootloader menu and certainly does not try to boot.

It's really hard to brick this phone (especially with s-on) just flashing TWRP and flashing ROMs. Probably not a brick.

At what point exactly did it shut down/not reboot? ROM installed with no errors, and when you tried to reboot, it went dark? You aren't specific on this point.

How much charge was on the battery when you were flashing the ROM? Did you leave it a long time flashing the ROM, or rebooting, that simply may have drained the battery to shutdown?

Try leaving the phone on charger for several hours, then hold power+vol up for a minute or so, and see if any change (even if just stuck on HTC logo screen).

Tainted

Jul 20, 2010
It's really hard to brick this phone (especially with s-on) just flashing TWRP and flashing ROMs. Probably not a brick.

At what point exactly did it shut down/not reboot? ROM installed with no errors, and when you tried to reboot, it went dark? You aren't specific on this point.

How much charge was on the battery when you were flashing the ROM? Did you leave it a long time flashing the ROM, or rebooting, that simply may have drained the battery to shutdown?

Try leaving the phone on charger for several hours, then hold power+vol up for a minute or so, and see if any change (even if just stuck on HTC logo screen).

Hi there,

Well I expect the bootloader to be separate from the rest so we can get into TWRP and normally get out of this situation?

The ROM install finished, battery was at about 80% and everything looked good and I let it reboot the phone. And then it went dead. Right now the PC keeps beeping as a device has just connected and then again as though it's disconnected. I'm watching the device manager and dont see it listed during the connect but device manager tree refreshes. My S7 edge shows up. It flash an orage dot twice, so appears to be a in loop.

I charged the phoned and no luck with any of the power+ vol +/- keys. No response from any of those? I let the phone sit till flat and no orange light and then charged it today and still nothing. Not sure if it's a bad battery but it was up at 83% showing in the TWRP menu and working plugged or unplugged.

It's become a challenge now to make it work, I havent had to mod phones since my HTC One which got heavily modded and then back to stock. I stopped doing that after modding every phone I had since HTC Desire Android 2.3. So been about 4 years since doing all this again. Never had one that was totally bricked.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Well I expect the bootloader to be separate from the rest so we can get into TWRP and normally get out of this situation?

You are correct that bootloader (AKA hboot) is a separate partition, isn't touched by TWRP, and in fact is "protected", and can't be modified with s-on. Only an official signed zip (RUU, OTA, zip) can write to hboot when s-on, which is one of the reasons why I say this phone is hard to brick with s-on, just by flashing TWRP and flashing ROMs.

Right now the PC keeps beeping as a device has just connected and then again as though it's disconnected. I'm watching the device manager and dont see it listed during the connect but device manager tree refreshes.

You won't connect to the phone by PC in any way, unless you can get the phone to power on, at least to bootloader.

A few additional suggestions/comments I made to another user (in another thread) who by strange coincidence has a very similar condition (apparent brick after flashing a ROM): https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=73062871&postcount=10

But to be honest, it's not looking too good, since the condition hasn't changed after charging and trying the button combos.

Tainted

Jul 20, 2010
You are correct that bootloader (AKA hboot) is a separate partition, isn't touched by TWRP, and in fact is "protected", and can't be modified with s-on. Only an official signed zip (RUU, OTA, zip) can write to hboot when s-on, which is one of the reasons why I say this phone is hard to brick with s-on, just by flashing TWRP and flashing ROMs.

You won't connect to the phone by PC in any way, unless you can get the phone to power on, at least to bootloader.

A few additional suggestions/comments I made to another user (in another thread) who by strange coincidence has a very similar condition (apparent brick after flashing a ROM): https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=73062871&postcount=10

But to be honest, it's not looking too good, since the condition hasn't changed after charging and trying the button combos.

Cheers for that. Not getting much except for the 2 brief flashes of orange light.

Any chance the battery is totally messed and this is the problem?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So it still have twrp on it ? If yes, boot to twrp recovery then restore the stock backup.

You can find all you need in my thread - https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/help/tutorial-how-to-stock-stock-twrp-t3086860

Post #1 - how-to
    Post #3 - you'll find the O2 stock backup
    Post #5 - you'll find O2 firmware, install firmware after you restore the backup
    You don't need usb debugging on to unlock the bootloader as it is done on fastboot mode (bootloader).

First I suggest you install the O2 firmware only then see whether you can boot to OS (assuming the OS is still stock base)

Second, re unlock bootloader with unlock_code.bin that you can get from htcdev.com, install twrp 3.x and restore the stock backup and relock bootloader and reflash firmware. This will get your device to fully stock.

So far, I don't see any RUU for your device version that you can get for free, only paid site has it.

Right now the PC keeps beeping as a device has just connected and then again as though it's disconnected. I'm watching the device manager and dont see it listed during the connect but device manager tree refreshes.